Hourglass → Ace; Nancy Drew [...

By scoopsahoey

❝Like sands through an hourglass, her life fell apart; counting the days until her time ran out.❞ The day Oli... More

→ HOURGLASS
→ playlist
→ graphics
o. prologue
━━━ act i.
i. the message in the drawing
ii. the death of hillary irvine
iii. the forewarned death
iv. the missing irvine heirloom
v. the secret of the sapphire ring
vi. the forgotten orphanage
vii. the fires of vengeance
viii. the shallow whispers of death
ix. the cost of fortune
x. the pursuit of retribution
xi. the cold awakening
━━━ act ii.
xii. the hunt for liberation
xiii. the bitter betrayal
xiv. the whispers in the walls
xv. the mystery of the irvine lodge
xvi. the secret in the cellar
xvii. the possessed blade
xviii. the location of buried bones
SEQUEL

xix. the funeral for cursed souls

1.4K 39 21
By scoopsahoey

THE FUNERAL FOR CURSED SOULS
CHAPTER NINETEEN

Olivia's body barely carried itself as she followed her friends up the stairs of the wine cellar. Compared to how she had felt before the ceremony, she was immensely better now. Her once numb, frail bones actually felt present in her limbs– she felt one with her body once again– and she was grateful to have enough of her brain back under her control to not have to worry about hurting her friends. Nevertheless, her muscles still burned like Hellfires, and her heart was no stronger than it was hours ago. She felt battered, bruised, and like if she let her eyelids loose, they'd close within seconds. Like if Ace wasn't by her side, holding her hand while her other friends surrounded her like bodyguards and soldiers, she could lose balance any moment. She felt like all she needed was one raised voice, one inconvenience, one more thing to go wrong, for her to let go. To give up. To stop fighting. Because although her curse was broken and she could live freely once again, she still felt like her heart was at battle, suffocating under the debris of what she once knew and what she had found out.

She let out a muffled sigh of relief when she finally climbed over the final step and entered the hallway in the lodge. Closing her eyes, she leaned against the wall, resting her head on it while she, George, and Ace waited for the others to climb through. "I still can't believe it's over." She tried to sound ecstatic, but her words came out almost monotonous, drowned under her exhaustion.

"We promised we'd break the curse, and we did!" George said enthusiastically, clapping her hands together. "But let's never do that again."

Olivia chuckled softly and rolled her eyes. "I'll try my best not to get tied into a curse again."

"As long as Arthur Irvine's dead, we shouldn't have a problem." Nick's head peaked behind the doorframe as he stepped through it with Bess and Nancy following behind. "What time is it? We good to start driving back home now?" He furrowed his brows and flicked his wrist to get his analog watch straight.

"Yeah, we should get going before it gets too dark," Nancy agreed, flickering her eyes toward the closest window to get a glimpse of the grey sky awaiting them outside.

Bess nodded and began to amble down the hall, toward the main living room area. "Alright, I'm just going to use the toilet before we-" She flinched at the sound of violent banging. With wide eyes, she looked to her friends who shared a similar wary expression before returning her attention down the long hall that led to the front door.

"That better not be Arthur Irvine," George hissed through gritted teeth, giving her boyfriend a sharp glare. "If it is, I'm blaming you."

"What?" He gasped in confusion, raising his hands up innocently. "Why me?"

"Because you jinxed it!"

"Shut up!" Oliva snapped, quietening everyone. As the space silenced, the banging on the door became more prominent with no other noises to flush it out. "Who do you think it is?" Her features softened and she wrapped her arms comfortingly around her torso as she glanced down the hall anxiously then back to her friends.

Ace inched closer toward her to wrap his arm around her waist, giving her somewhere to lean on and a source of comfort in her clear nervous state. "Only one way to find out," he sighed, shrugging.

Pursing her lips, Olivia followed her friends through the hall. As desperate as she was to walk slowly and avoid confronting whoever– or whatever– was waiting for them on the other side of that door, the obnoxious banging only forced them to move quicker. The noise echoed through every inch of the ground floor, bouncing off the wooden walls and floors. It was loud, intimidating– it was something they should have been able to handle, considering the vast things they had faced. But after the draining events of the day, the violent banging sound only set off their agitated hearts even more.

The knocking was blaring by the time they had reached the front door. Olivia found it hard not to flinch with every hit. She sucked in her breath while Nick carefully pulled the door open.

"Mr. Drew?"

"What?" Nancy frowned from behind Nick, gently pushing him out of the way so she could climb to the front of the door. Her eyes widened in disbelief when she saw for herself. "Dad? What are you doing here?" His eyebrows were knitted together, eyes deep and shimmering with concern.

"You weren't answering your phone. We need to talk," Carson said through a shaky breath. Without questioning, Nancy moved aside so her father could step in.

"Is everything okay, Mr. Drew?" Bess asked, trying to make direct contact with his eyes, but they were too frantic and rigid to focus on anyone but his daughter.

"Before the Hudsons' party, I took a photo of you with my camera."

"Right... where are you going with this, Dad?" Nancy grew concerned, her mind darting to every conclusion it could find. In response, Carson dug his hand into his coat's pocket and unsteadily pulled out a polaroid.

"Oh my Goodness..." Bess' hand flew to her mouth as she gaped in disbelief.

"The Wraith," Ace muttered, eyes wide and shoulders slumped in shock.

"Wait... I recognize that..." Olivia stared closely at the dark figure that stood behind Nancy in the photo. Clad in a black cloak, its skin was like the fleshy wood of tree bark, and its sharp claws were latched onto Nancy's shoulders. Olivia squeezed her eyes shut, holding onto the image of it in her head. "In the forest-- near the bluffs."

"You saw it there?" Nick asked, confusion lacing his voice.

"I don't understand-- How did you survive?" Bess added, bewildered.

"No, I had a dream about it- maybe a month ago. Right before I met you guys," Olivia explained, her eyes glued to a wall as she still struggled to process all this information. "Wait, but this thing is attached to Nancy?"

"I got rid of the Wraith in the- in the woods..." Nancy stuttered. She was zoned out, almost dissociated as she spoke, too lost in thought. "I set the bus on fire and then I got away from it."

"It must have hitched a ride out with you," George mumbled, her voice dull as though she was pained to say the words.

"That's not possible. I would have known, right? I would have felt something." She searched in all her friends' eyes for support, for reassurance, but to no avail. Their sad expressions only left her feeling worse as the pit in her stomach grew.

"Whatever this is, we have to find a way to stop it," Carson interjected, urgency dripping from every word.

"We need to drive to the Historical Society," Bess declared, already making her way out the door.

"We'll call Hannah in the car on the way there," Nick agreed, following Bess out with George, Nancy, and Carson following behind.

Ace stepped through the door but paused when he didn't feel Olivia stepping beside him. "Come on, Liv, we need to hurry." He turned around and held his hand out for her to take.

"You guys go on without me. I'll catch up." She forced a smile, trying to hold back the quiver of her lip. "There's something I need to do..." her attention flickered down to her hand, and Ace's eyes followed, taking in the ring in Olivia's hand. "I never got to properly say goodbye- now's my chance."

"I'll stay with you."

Olivia smiled gratefully but shook her head. "I need to do this on my own."

"I don't wanna leave you, Livvie. You shouldn't be alone," he pleaded, picking up her hand in his and giving it a tight squeeze.

"You guys go take care of Nancy and pin me your location. I'll be okay, I promise."

Begrudgingly, Ace nodded. "We'll leave you one of the cars so you can get back. Call me when you're on your way, okay?" Olivia nodded and as Ace lowered his head, she pushed herself up on her tiptoes and closed her eyes. Ace pecked her lips gently, making her stomach flutter. She smiled gently as he pulled away, the sensation of his lips lingering. "I'll see you soon."

Olivia clutched onto the door and leaned against it for support, watching as Ace fogged into a silhouette before disappearing into the darkness. The headlights of Nick's truck flashed on high beams as they drove out through the narrow driveway, surrounded by the gardens. Olivia sighed and looked down at the ring in her hand once they were gone, and she was left alone again. Alone with her thoughts, with her broken heart, and with her aunt's ghost. And as much as she wished that Ace and her friends were still by her side, here to hold her hand, she knew that this was something she had to do on her own.

Sniffling, Olivia stepped out of the lodge. Leaving the door open, she trotted down the porch steps and once she reached the small gate in front, she turned left. She shuddered and quickened her pace when the cold wind blew past her, her feet crunching over the wet grass beneath her.

Under the twilight sky, she could hardly see the trees and plants around her. Yet although it had been years since Olivia had returned to the Irvine Lodge, she still recognized it with every step she took. She could find her way around with her eyes closed, for all she needed was her fond memories to guide her.

Her eyes welled up as she placed her hand on the back of the bench she remembered spending hours on. In the summers they had spent here together, Hillary had read aloud every single one of the books that resided in the lodge, and once there was nothing more to read, she would read them again. The words were engraved in Olivia's head, and she never wanted them to disappear.

She dropped to her knees, unbothered by the way her blue jeans matted with green and brown from the grass and soil. "Aunt Hillary..." Olivia's voice already began to crack, and she closed her eyes to try to contain her tears. "I'm sorry." She cupped the ring within both her hands and stared down at it. "I'm sorry for what you went through. I'm sorry no one believed you." Sucking in a shaky breath, Olivia used the back of her hand to wipe her damp cheek. "I'm sorry that you went through this alone. I wish you'd had people like Ace and Nancy and George and Bess and Nick by your side. But I want you to know I'm okay. I beat the curse... I just wish you had had enough time to beat it too."

As the words left her mouth, her eyes pooled with tears and this time she couldn't hold them back before they poured as a heart-wrenching sob left her mouth. She felt silly, crying on her own while she talked to herself. But deep down, she knew she wasn't alone. She had known this entire time, Hillary was looking after her, helping her.

"I know you never left, aunt Hillary. I know you've been around, watching over me... Guiding me." She sniffed as more tears trickled down her face and dripped onto her lap. "But- but I'm scared that by saying goodbye, you'll leave me again. For good this time."

A single tear dropped from her chin to the sapphire stone in her hand, and through her blurred tears, Olivia could have sworn it had glowed for a mere second. Her head snapped to the right as she felt a gentle pressure on her upper arm, almost like a hand had wrapped around it. Her chin quivered as her chest filled with warm hope and reassurance.

Olivia clutched the ring to her chest with one hand while she used the other to dig through the soil. She didn't care about the dirt getting stuck under her nails or how much it stung as the small pebbles scraped against her skin. Her brain was so overwhelmed by her certainty of Hillary's presence, that all she felt was euphoria, even despite the continuous salty liquid that poured from her eyes.

Once the hole was big enough, she withdrew her dirty hand and stuck it into her jacket pocket. She pulled out the ring's box, and opened it carefully, brushing off the soil that had gotten on it from her dirty hand. Carefully, she placed the ring into the box and took in a deep breath before shutting the lid.

With one last glance through teary eyes, Olivia placed the box in the hole, right by Hillary's favorite bench, where it belonged. "I won't let your legacy die, aunt Hillary," she whispered and carefully began piling the jewelry box over with soil.

Once it was covered, she slapped her hands over her lap and closed her eyes. Sucking in a deep breath, she tried to put a halt to her tears, but the pain in her chest only dragged out even more. Despite her mourning, however, she almost felt at ease, like she could let herself smile and live on. And whether that touch on her arm had been her aunt or just a gust of wind, she preferred the former. Burying the ring was letting Hillary go, giving her the freedom she deserved long ago.

Climbing to her feet, Olivia dragged her heavy legs toward the driveway where Carson's car sat unlocked. She gave the lodge one last, longing glance before pulling the car door open and climbing inside after picking up the keys from the seat and dropping them into the cupholder.

She was grateful to see a notification from Ace on her phone. The mere sight of his name brought her comfort and reminded her that in not too long, she'd be with him again. Sighing, she tapped the notification and it opened his location, so she accepted it as her destination before clicking the call button. In the twenty-minute drive, she was about to have, there was no one she wanted more as company than him.

She waited with anticipation as the phone rang, and after three rings she grew impatient and began to drive with the phone on her lap. "Hey, you've reached Ace's voicemail so I guess leave a message."

Olivia's lips curled down in disappointment, but she waited for the beep before speaking. "Hey Ace, I'm on my way toward you guys. I said goodbye to my aunt and... and I really wish you were here right now but I'll see you soon." She clicked the red button to hang up with her eyes still plastered onto the road.

The light platter of rain against the windows only made her feel more anxious driving alone at night as if the extreme darkness and the narrow road weren't enough. With no one in the passenger seat beside her keeping her company, she felt isolated, lost. She wanted nothing more than to reach her friends and find out that they beat the Wraith and that none of them would have to deal with the supernatural world again. Maybe they'd all celebrate, grab drinks at a bar or just relax at The Claw. Maybe they could be like normal young adults, going out to parties and spending time at the movie theatre together. Ace and Liv, and George and Nick could even go on a double date.

The thoughts were almost relaxing to Olivia, setting her mind at ease ever so slightly. Relishing in the fantasy, she batted her eyes toward the right-side window to take in the few of the sea that was hiding behind the cliffs she was driving beside. It sparkled under the moonlight, leaving Olivia grateful for the twinkle of beauty that presented itself on such a burdening night.

Her momentary peace was broken by a strike of light in the sky, but when no thunder came after it, Olivia wondered if it had all been in her head. Before she could think about it properly, a loud gasp was forced past her lips when white light took over her vision. She let out a quiet squeal when she felt herself lose control over the steering wheel, but before she could, her mind was completely blank and the white in her eyes was replaced by a flash of a white dress.

The image quickly faded into another strike of lightning in the sky, and before Olivia could regain control of the wheel, the car's front wheels were already shooting past the cliff. Her screams ruptured her throat as she felt herself being flung past the cliff and driving straight toward the violent waves of the sea.

Flashes of short blonde hair and blood darted her vision before she crashed into the water. The cold temperature sucked her back into reality and snapped her out of her faze. Her chest began to heave rapidly as she began to trap herself into a panicked state while she instinctively unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled on the door handle. "No, no, no!" she cried when the handle wouldn't budge. "Please," she whimpered as liquid splashed against her face with the rising water in the car.

She screamed at the door that refused to open before pushing herself toward the passenger side. Tugging at the handle, she let out a strained sob when it didn't open either. She began to shiver with terror when the water reached her shoulders, and she was so trapped in shock that she hadn't even registered the sound of her phone ringing, bubbly, and static as water started to fill its system.

"The- the keys..." Olivia whispered to herself, remembering the unlock button she had seen on the car keys. She began to fumble around in the water for the keys while her voicemail played in bad quality in the background. Through all her scrambled thoughts, she could barely register the words.

"Livvie, hey, sorry I missed your call; it was crazy over here but we did it... we beat the Wraith. Nancy's okay, we're- we're all okay and we're waiting here for you." Olivia sobbed loudly as Ace's voice filled her ears as she struggled to get hold of the keys. "Also, um there's something that I've been wanting to tell you... and after all this life-threatening-" his voice blurred into a robotic noise that Olivia couldn't decode under the stress of trying to escape. She slammed her fists against the door, but with the water slowing her movements it was useless. So she pressed her back against the door, and kicked belligerent against the other door, one time, then twice, and by the third time the water had risen to her lips. but returned seconds later. "... I realized there's never-- time-- wait till later so-- gonna say it now."

And as a white light took over her brain and eyes once more, the words "I'm in love with you," filled Olivia's ears as she took in her last breaths.

𖤐

THE ENDDD

let me know what you guys think!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 26.6K 26
MARVEL. what do you get when you throw a research scientist with dark secrets into the middle of an alien invasion? WARNING: i wrote this when i was...
522K 11.2K 38
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.6M 74.9K 95
[based on season two of The Flash] || book two of three || Six months after Barry's failure to change the timeline and save his mother, Team Flash is...
555K 34.1K 98
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...