Her Last Wish

By xLittleMonstahX

Alice Denvar is DYING. She is suffering from gastric cancer and life is slowly and painfully slipping away fr... More

Chapter 1- Part 1 of 2
Chapter 1- Part 2 of 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 - Part 1 of 2
Chapter 8 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 - Part 1 of 2
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15- Part 1 of 2
Chapter 15 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19 - Part 1
Chapter 19 - Part 2
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 11 - Part 2 of 2

3.3K 56 22
By xLittleMonstahX

Hey guys! Just so you know, I kept my promise! =) It's nearly midnight here and I am soooooo sleepy, but hey! It's still Sunday :)

I apologize for not uploading sooner but yeah, I've been busy. So, I'll keep this short because I want my bed. Now.

This hasn't been edited properly and I'll be re-editing this tomorrow if necessary, But for now, here's the much awaited chapter =D

xLMX

************

Chapter 11 -Part 2 of 2-

I sighed, as I felt the butterflies arise from my stomach. Here he was, Drew, and I was certain now that there was absolutely nothing that stood between me and the answers I had long desired for. This was what I had been waiting for. This had been it.

I felt him near me, and as he grew closer towards me, my thoughts had seized to remain coherent. It took me a moment to speak, for I found it difficult to form words. "So, what did you mean? What haven't I forgotten, Drew?" I queried, as I began to come into confusion. Whatever had he meant by those words? I was much too confused to bother putting the pieces together.

He chuckled lightly. "'Yes, I am human, like you. I can do special things but I'm still human.' Does that sound the slightest bit familiar, Alice?" he murmured softly, his voice filled with amusement as he took a seat alongside me.

I thought for a moment, for the line had sounded much too familiar. I gasped. No, it had not been possible. Drew could never have been the blue-eyed boy I had met so long ago. I was certain now that it had indeed been him, yet my mind could not accept the fact that it was so.

"Hey, what are you doing? You're gonna fall and break your arm!"

"Move away or you're going to get hurt."

"Okay, I'm-"

"How did you do that?"

"Hey, don't be afraid. I would not hurt you, I promise."

. "Why would you think I was scared that you'd hurt me? You are just a human, right?"

"Yes, I am human, like you. I can do special things but I'm still human."

I held my head in my hands, as I attempted to deal with the very fact that Drew was indeed the little boy who had become my first friend. I should have been happy, yes for here he was before me once more, yet I could feel nothing but confusion and disbelief.

"Are you alright, Alice?" Drew asked, his voice filled with worry.

I turned towards him, taking in how he looked for the first time since he had showed. My breath caught in my throat and for a moment, I could do nothing but gape at him. Looking at him had been similar to taking a breath of fresh air---- it had truly felt amazing.  He wore dark clothing yet again---- similar to those he wore that night. As my gaze landed upon his violet eyes, I immediately felt myself lost within them.

"I-I...Yes, I'm fine," I had managed to stutter. I quickly turned away from him, in order to think clearly. "I... You..How?" I hoped dearly that I had made sense, for I was unable to form knowledgeable sentences.

He chuckled lightly, causing goose bumps to arise from my skin.  "It is quite a long story, I admit. But would you like to hear it, Alice?"

I nodded as my heart raced. This had been it. He was going to tell me what I had longed to hear for so long. "Tell me, how did you jump off that building without killing yourself? And what... did you mean when you told me long ago that you were an evolution yet you were still human?" I asked, eyeing him with curiosity and interest.

A smirk formed across his lips. "I see you are able to pronounce the word quite well now, Alice," he teased. "Yes, so I am indeed an evolution," he confirmed. "An evolution of the modern man, that is," he added.

I tilted my head in confusion. "You mean you are not a homo sapien sapien, I take it?" I queried, feeling absolutely stupid.

His mouth twitched with amusement. "No, I don't believe I am."

"So what on earth are you then?"

"Well, I haven't the slightest idea. Maybe, say, a homo sapien sapien sapien?" he said, his tone apparent that he had not been serious.

I rolled my eyes at that, before speaking. "Be serious, please, Drew," I muttered, certain he had been able to hear it, before asking a rather unexpected question. "So what is it with your accent? It's really... British unlike your parents'."

"Oh, it's simple: I was adopted. In all honesty, I cannot even remember my birth parents," he said, his voice holding no sign of hurt. In fact, he had sounded... amused and without a trace of sadness. It was as though it had meant nothing to him that he had been adopted.

"I'm sorry for asking," I apologized nevertheless.

He shook his head. "Don't be. You see, I truly love my adopted parents. They have been... kinder to me rather than my birth parents."

I shook my head, for I had been confused as ever. "What does that even mean?"

He showed the slightest of smiles, before responding.  "It's quite difficult to understand, to be truly honest---"

"I don't care. Tell me, please," I cut him off quickly, for I had not cared at this point whether it was going to be difficult or not.

He sighed, before nodding. "Alright, Alice. What is it you would like to know?"

I grinned similar to how a child would on Christmas. 'Well, for starters, how you had found out that you were... different?"

He was silent for a moment. His face had turned expressionless, his gaze focused onto the lake opposite him. For a long while there was not a sound to be heard, but the soft noises of the forest. I began to think he had not heard whatever I had said, before he finally turned towards me.

"I was about the age of seven, when all of the... signs had begun to show," he paused for a moment. He held my gaze then. "Tell me, Alice, what would your parents have done if say, you were sick, and there may not be a cure to your...illness?"

I felt as though the breath had been knocked out of me, and I had to remind myself that he had not known; he had not known I was sick. I inhaled deeply, before speaking the truth. "Well, my parents would do everything in their power just to have me healed or to at least, ease the suffering I would go through."

He smiled once more. "You are truly fortunate for having your parents then. You see, my birth parents had thought that I was ill as the signs began to show. They were quite unhappy about it, but only for they were certain it would ruin their... image," he said, his face twisted in apparent disgust.

"So what did they do?" I asked, yet my voice was no louder than a soft whisper.

His jaw clenched at that moment. "They sought the help of a doctor. He was a geneticist, and the most brilliant one of this generation, might I add. He had wanted to run... experiments upon me, and unfortunately, he had easily convinced my parents to hand me over to him and to allow him to do whatever he had wished.

After several months of having run.... tests of sorts upon me, he had come up with a theory. Unfortunately, I had only been but a child when I was in the hands of the doctor, therefore I know only so little. Nevertheless, I had known enough to be certain that I was not ill. According to the doctor's theory, as I am certain you already know, I am an evolution of the modern man.  I have the ability to do things no other man has the capability of executing," he paused, seeming as though he had been searching my face for something, yet I had not know whatever he was looking for.

I took the opportunity to question him. "What do you mean? Abilities?" I asked, certain I had more questions to ask yet I must do so only one at a time.

He chuckled. "You are aware, Alice, that as something evolves, it has the ability to do things unusual for its... ancestors. In my case, my senses are far sharper than yours---- that is, my sense of smell, hearing, taste, touch, and sight are more accurate. Furthermore, I have what is to be known only as a 6th sense; I am able to feel what others around me feel. It-"

I cut him off quickly, horrified. "You mean you know how I feel? I..." I trailed off, for I had now feared the worst.

He smirked. "Yes, I know exactly how you feel. To be honest with you, it is quite amusing at times," he paused, his tone teasing, and I flushed scarlet. He had known all along how I... felt about him.  "But there are also times, however, when I am with you, that you are in pain. It is beyond me to understand how it happens, yet it feels awful..." he trailed off, his tone serious now.

I clenched my jaw in a tight manner. However can I admit to him that I had been ill? I was certain now that there had been no point in lying to him, yet what choice did I have? "It's nothing. So how is it possible? Your 6th sense, I mean." I changed the subject quickly, for I had not the bravery to tell him of my condition.

 "I have not the slightest idea. I reckon that the doctor himself had a hard time trying to understand how my nervous system had worked, but he did have theories. Sadly, I cannot recall his theories nor did I understand any of them for yes, I was smarter than the average child then, but most of his theories were far too complicated for me to comprehend.

Moreover, the doctor had focused more on my eyes, really. You see, I am able to see much clearer in the dark than the modern man. It is no different than daylight to me, in all honesty. But what really caught his attention was the reason as to why the sun's glare had not affected my eyes in any way--- I do not react whatsoever to the sun's glare. He reasoned that it may have been due to the fact that most of the melanin of my skin had somehow become eye melanin and were therefore contained in my eyes rather than my skin."

"That's why you're so pale," I muttered, my mouth wide open all the while.

"Yes, that is why I'm so pale," he laughed. "I am in fact, only two shades darker than the average albino."

"You're an albino?" I asked in disbelief.

He shook his head, as he raised his hand above his eye level. It was truly very pale in the moonlight. "No, but I was considered an albino once. That is, until they had found that my skin had still contained a limited amount of melanin.  It was rather intriguing for the doctor, really, for would it not be more ideal if I was dark, my skin containing much more melanin of course, as that would be more ideal for the world we are living in now. Would it not be more fit, as the ozone layer, which absorbs the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays, is now fast depleting due to global warming?"

I frowned, as I felt my head begin to ache greatly. "I..."

He gave me a look of guilt. "I am truly sorry, Alice. I am certain you are confused and cannot understand everything I am saying," he apologized.

I smiled faintly. "That's alright, Drew. I was the one who asked for this, after all," I paused for a moment. "How did you learn all this information about yourself? Was the doctor, whatever his name is, open to you about his theories?"

His eyes darkened at that. "No, he was far from open in all honesty. He had kept me in room with nothing but a bed for five years. In that time, I had learned my way around his lab and I would obtain information every now and then from listening in to his conversation with his partners while he thought I had been fast asleep every night."

"Five years?" I said in disbelief. "I take it you are a great actor then?" I laughed.

He grinned. "Well, I believe I was, for I had fooled him for five years."

I hit him lightly on his shoulder. "Hey, don't be so cocky," I teased.

He shrugged, holding his palms up. "That is the way I am, Alice. I suggest you deal with it," he smirked once more.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. So why is it he kept you for no longer than five years?" I asked.

"Truth be told, I reckon he would have loved to keep me for far longer. But I had managed to escape and went into hiding in an orphanage until I had been adopted by my current parents, who just so you are informed, nearly had a heart attack as they found out about my... true identity. Nonetheless, they still managed to accept me for whatever I was and loved me no less than they had done so in the beginning."

"That's good to know," I said, my voice sincere. "But how did you manage to escape? Isn't it hard? I mean, he is a skilled geneticist--- your doctor, I mean."  I toyed with my fingers, as my hands began to feel rather clammy.

"Well, yes, at first it certainly is. But as my abilities honed, it was became rather easy, really," he shrugged.

"Oh," was all the response I had been able to come up with. Brilliant response, surely.

There had been a long silence then, yet it had not been awkward. It was as though we both decided it no longer necessary to speak for a long moment.  It was a much needed quiet instant for the both of us. Thousands of questions had not seized to run inside the depths of my mind, and after a long while, I finally decided it time to break the silence. "Hey, Drew, how is it that you never mentioned the name of the doctor to me?" I asked, certain he had not said his name whilst he shared his background with me. I searched his face for a reaction, yet all I saw was the slight clenching of his jaw.

"Yes, I do believe I haven't. It's McKinley--- Dr. Dwight McKinley. The most brilliant geneticist in the world," he spat, his voice filled with venom as he spoke the doctor's name.

I gasped, having recognized the name.

"No, you listen to me! I want the entire area searched otherwise we cannot move on to our next target location."

"I want him exterminated, understand? That thing is an abomination!"

"I don't care if McKinley wants him alive. Lie to him dammit!"

McKinley... the man who had wanted Drew. . . until this moment he had still searched for Drew? "Drew, isn't... isn't Dr. McKinley the person who was after you?" I asked, unsure now of what to believe.

His eyes widened in apparent astonishment. "However did you know about that?"

I shook my head. "I heard it that night... from a man in dark clothing... I..." I trailed off, uneasy once more.

His eyes shone in understanding. "Oh, yes. Those men had been after me that night. They had nearly found me, to be honest with you, Alice. In fact, that had not been the first time they nearly found me; they had as well the moment I first met you when we were younger."

"How--?" I began to ask, although I cut myself off for another question had begun to attract my attention. "Wait, however was it that you were in Britain? And how was it that you had trusted me when you barely knew me?" I asked.

He smiled genuinely-and shockingly beautifully---- at that. "I had lived in Britain together with my current family all my life before I had moved here. They were American, yes, but they had both grew up in Britain. And I haven't the slightest Idea why I had trusted you, to be truly honest with you, Alice. Only that I had felt extremely... alone for the most part of my childhood and I believe I found you trustworthy," he said.

I smiled as well, taking his hand in mine. "I will be here for you, Drew," I paused, my smile faltering. "But I'm afraid I won't be here for long," I added, more to myself.

His smile turned into confusion. "Whatever do you mean, Alice?"

I bit my lip, for I regretted ever having spoken. "I--- nothing," I said, as my voice began to break. I was certain I would break down into tears sooner than I had wished, so I quickly sent him an apologizing look, before arising quickly and beginning to head away from him without further explanation.

"Wait, Alice," Drew called out from behind me. "What did you mean?"

Tears had began to spill onto my face. I began to run, hoping dearly that he would not dare take advantage and chase after me.

I had left so much more questions unanswered, yet I could not care less.

*****

QUICK NOTE : So whoever noticed how they didn't talk about Drew's EYES?  :>

                            And and and... See that video on the side? That's me and Natasha( The gorgeous not to mention tall -.-' chick in purple ). It has absolutely nothing to do with this chapter, btw :P Just proof that I was being serious when I said I was busy( That's only one out of about 4 performances I've done the past few weeks xP). =D

So hope you guys liked this chappie :) X

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 112 32
"Leo pinned me against the wall with his hips. His hands gently gripped my wrists, keeping my arms above my head against the cool brick behind me. H...
2.3K 207 29
"Death isn't just one thing that happens and is over with. That description fits life more. Death is eternal. I mean that's how I view it. Death brin...
1.5M 57.6K 64
Some people merely adopt darkness, but she was born into it. Hiding every gloomy secret, covering all the lies, she walks through the life devoid of...
3.1K 85 32
Sometimes life don't go the way we planned. Sometimes we end up feeling so low, and alone. Like we're in a dark hole with no one around us, but then...