Three Hallows, Two Weasleys a...

By whimsical_girl_357

"You're going to die." She whispered. Dumbledore chuckled awkwardly, patting the eleven year old reassuringly... More

Author Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Comme une Fleur
Chapter 2: Hell hath no fury
Chapter 3: Brother mine
Chapter 4: Erin's Isle
Chapter 5: Mischief, mayhem and madness
Chapter 6: All Hallow's Eve
Chapter 7: Good eggs, Bad eggs
Chapter 8: Overnight Oversights
Chapter 9: Apples and Oranges
Chapter 10: Professor Charming
Chapter 11: Draco Domiens
Chapter 12: A Tale of Eagles
Chapter 13: The Stone
Chapter 14: Trap or Treat
Chapter 16: Gorlak's March
Chapter 17: Heart to Heart
Chapter 18: Water's Going On?
Chapter 19: Expected Showers
Chapter 20: Fools of April
Chapter 21: Magic of Music
Chapter 22: Truth Will Out
Chapter 23: Let's Make It Worse
Chapter 24: Soda and Shrooms
Chapter 25: Parent's Perogative
Chapter 26: Dinner and Discussion
Chapter 27: Pranking Pink
Chapter 28: Ninety Three, Diagon Alley
Chapter 29: Mollywhop
Chapter 30: A Matter Most Sirius
Chapter 31: Patronuses
Chapter 32: Constant Vigilance
Chapter 33: Wedding Bells
Chapter 34: Express
Chapter 35: Burning
Chapter 36: Design and Deceit
Chapter 37: Sisters
Chapter 38: Smell the Roses
Chapter 39: Off the Walls
Chapter 40: Seashells on the Sea Shore
Chapter 41: Tempered Glass
Chapter 42: Inventory
Chapter 43: Battle of Hogwarts, Part 1
Chapter 44: Battle of Hogwarts, Part 2
Chapter 45: Battle of Hogwarts, Part 3
Chapter 46: Wands a Wander
Chapter 47: Insania Ad Ministerium
Chapter 48: Maps Mayhaps
Chapter 49: Making Strides
Chapter 50: Stony Silence
Chapter 51: Lumos
Chapter 52: Sin of Greed
Chapter 53: Splintering
BETA READERS WANTED
Chapter 54: Grimmauld Place
Chapter 55: Mort
Chapter 56: Recreational Blackmail
Epilogue: The Maiden

Chapter 15: Saddled with Guilt

10.9K 563 56
By whimsical_girl_357

You know who else can see the future in HP? Who would adopt a fellow seer?
Also a warm welcome please for the honourable but ill-fated Cedric Diggory!

Hope all of you are as close to safe, sated and happy as possible this Christmas/Yuletide.

———

Delphi did not want to be here, to be put in this position.
It had only been days after her escape from the twins, and she couldn't find peace anywhere, not even outside the arithmancy classroom it seemed.

"Please...consider it?"
Diggory eyed her in that awkward hopeful way, ruffing his mop of brown hair and observing her nervously with his gentle hazel eyes. "We get along don't we? I mean...it can be just as friends... I just want to have a fun night without so many expectations weighing on me...you're the one girl I know who...you know doesn't seem to want... that."

Delphi glanced down the corridor but it was vacant, leaving them in perfect privacy. If...if she said no, his next ask would be Cho, and like the gentleman he is Diggory would date her and love her, and like the loving soul she is, his death would crush her. Her visions of the two of them had been brief, she only ever got detailed visions around deaths and keystone events...but if she said yes and became his friend, she could spare the other girl a fair bit of her pain.
But she'd be taking on that pain.
For five whole years she'd managed to avoid Diggory as much as she could. Not that it was difficult exactly, but she'd been actively minimising their interactions so she could spare herself a little.
And she was going to throw it all away.

"Okay." She said, meeting his eyes confidently.
"Really?" He sounded surprised, so was she to be honest and already regretting it.
She did her best to smile anyway, "we'll go as friends and have a laugh. It'll get most of the girls off your back, and give me some peace too. It makes sense and I bet you're a decent dancer."
He chuckled, looking so relieved she almost didn't regret saying yes. "I'm okay! Dad made me take lessons in the summer. This is great! Thank you Delphi!"
He pulled her into a hug just as some fifth year Hufflepuff girls came around the corner, and resigning herself to the fact the gossip would be overflowing anyway, Delphi relaxed and returned it.

He bounced away from her like an excited puppy, eyes lit and joyous in a way that made her want to cry. She knew she'd miss History of Magic but she didn't care, skipping past the stunned Hufflepuffs with a wink and darting into the nearest bathrooms to silently cry her eyes out as the mental image of his death played over again and again. So much promise lost in an instant. And she couldn't stop it...but she could make his last months better. She could do that.

She left the bathroom an hour later, after casting a useful pick me up spell she'd learned in her first year to reduce skin irritation and thus erase evidence of crying.
She jumped when not two minutes into her trip toward the hall there was a twin either side of her. Normally she'd have seen them coming but she wasn't exactly on top form.
"Fred, George."
"You're going with Diggory to the Ball?" Asked George.
Fred was eyeing her in faint disappointment, and for some reason hurt, "thought you weren't into pretty boys Lovegood."
They sounded disgusted, on a better day she'd have laughed, but she just looked between them deadpanning, "he was the first person to ask."
It wasn't the answer they were expecting which made her smug.
Fred peered down at her. "You were planning to accept whoever asked first."
She nodded, "who asked politely. And he did. You two got dates?"

That riddle of who would win the competition between a seer and marauders...she knew the answer. Her strength of will was steadily breaking down, and they made her infuriatingly happy. They were going to be friends of hers, and there was nothing she could do to escape it, even as the only person whose future she couldn't see, she knew the duo's track record and had to accept going against the current was not an option. Especially when her heart wasn't into resisting.

"Uh..well not yet." Mumbled George, missing something of his usual energy.
She glanced between them, "you two okay? Some prank flop or something?"
"Or something Miss Fortune teller." Said Fred, loping an arm around her affectionately. "I'm going to ask Angelina. Tomorrow."
George stared at him, clearly giving away that this was a spur of the moment resolution. "Then I'll ask Katie." He replied more as a challenge than anything.
Delphi smiled shrugging Fred off playfully. No need to tell them that the girls would dance with each other at the ball.
"Well then, seems you two have dates to ask. See you round!" She called, slipping over to the Ravenclaw table and trying to ignore the mix of angry and curious stares as she settled at her usual spot.

Luna was at her side within a few moments, her lack of presence could startle others but not Delphi. She was relieved to see her sister.
"I thought you were avoiding him." She murmured lowly, her distant smile in place through her eyes were sharp. "For timey whimey reasons."
Delphi swallowed the lump in her throat and dug into her roast chicken.
"Fate has a dark sense of humour." She muttered bitterly.
Luna hummed, mask still in place. "I'll add it to their profile."

They ate in silence, though Luna's left hand rested between them, an offer of support in its own small way. Since Delphi's 'gift' had developed she had been forced to put distance between them with how many secrets she kept...and Luna had not always been as wise and insightful as she was now. It was nice to have her at her side again, even if they could never truly confide in each other.

Delphi finished her meal and rested her own right hand over her sisters left, the touch filling her with some warmth though her heart felt cold already.

Cho was watching her, like she knew the future she'd been denied, all meek disappointment edged in frustration. The whole hall seemed tense, though perhaps it was just her projecting on them. Why did she treat herself this way, when she knew perfectly well how weak she was.
When would she stop making herself suffer.
She recalled the Mirror of Erised and a coolness filled her blood. She wondered if what she saw in it would be different now. In her heart of hearts she knew it wouldn't be.
She also knew a dark frame of mind when she was in one though, and she knew who she needed to go to.

Patting her sister's hand she rose from the table and left swiftly, breaking into a run once she'd left the hall.

She burst out the main doors into the grounds, and ploughed on, ignoring the rain, and taking huge gulps of air as she sprinted toward the forest, tears burning at the corners of her eyes.

She'd barely taken a few strides into the shadows before strong arms swept her up and Firenze held her close.
"Delphi breathe with me." He murmured softly and she curled into him as he knelt on his forelegs so they could curl on the floor. Her ragged breathing steadied quick enough, she had a lot of practise with panic attacks, and the cloud of safety that engulfed her when she was near Firenze helped a great deal.
"I...I-"
"I know." He rumbled softly, "you have too much kindness in you Delphi," he paused, then added as an after thought, "stupidity too. No wonder you were born under Ara, altar of the gods. You insist on sacrificing your own health and happiness for the sake of others."

He sounded very angry compared to what she'd done, and she faintly wondered what she was going to do to earn a grumpy centaur in the future.
"Firenze, I don't know whether I can bear this." She muttered to get him out of his quiet rant before he gave anything away.
Calloused hands framed her face, and forced her red rimmed eyes to meet his clear ones.
"Everyone dies, my star, and unlike me, you cannot share your knowledge with your loved ones, and feel cursed to bear it alone. But you are not alone, Delphi, you know you can always come here, I know when you will come here, and I can assure you, I am always waiting for you."

Managing to regain some control, she raised her gaze to his. "Death must have death right?"
He narrowed his eyes but nodded.
"If a life must be lost...I think-"
"No!" His snarled response made her flinch, but he calmed a little, shaking his head sternly, "we cannot share each other's futures, but you hold too important a part to dare exchange your role for his."
Delphi pulled away a little, biting her lip. "He's good...and kind. And noble. He doesn't deserve to be used by them like this."
"Neither does the Potter boy." Pointed out Firenze gently, "the gods are many things..."
"...but kind isn't one of them." Finished Delphi reluctantly.

They sat there in silence, Firenze happy to ground her while she settled her mind and re-ordered it. From the first day her parents had discovered her gift, they'd made her live and breathe occlumency.
She was grateful for that often.
When Dumbledore tried to see more than he should.
When her nightmares got too deep ahold of her.
And, like today, when she felt the difficulty of being a bystander most deeply.

Firenze was another thing she was deeply grateful for.
He'd been waiting for her the day she'd arrived at Hogwarts six years ago. Centaurs weren't blind to their own fates like she was, and though she could not know back then the times they would share, Firenze's open arms had felt like home.
He was old enough to be a calming influence but young enough not to have mastered the infuriating detachment from the world the elder centaurs possessed. He could understand.
He was also a great teacher of actual divination practices and aiding her in interpreting her more abstract visions.
That said, his brooding nature could be exhausting in high doses so Delphi didn't visit often in recent years. The centaur had a mate himself and young on the way so her increasing absences hardly bothered him.

"Little one, it will be okay."
She took a deep breath, letting his heart beat stabilise her.
"Come with me, I have some rounds to do. I know you enjoy the forest."
She nodded, allowing him to guide her to settle on his back and wrapping her arms around his waist as he trotted back into the gloom.
It will be okay
Hagrid would fall over in shock hearing a centaur say something so definite.

———

Fred Weasley was absolutely drenched by the time he stumbled to the edge of the forbidden forest. George had seen Delphi leave, but had been cornered by McGonigall (they didn't know anything about the sentient purple slime in the charms corridor honest) so Fred had taken charge, and followed.
He'd been very worried when she'd raced into the rain. He thought she might do herself harm.

When he reached the forest though, it was just in time to see the Lovegood girl move deeper in riding a centaur. She didn't notice him, but the centaur turned to look at him.
The look made the hair on Fred's neck rise.
Such venomous dislike and resentment should never be seen on such a calm creature's face.
"What the hell?" Was all Fred could mutter as the strange duo faded into the forest's shadows.

He wondered vaguely what the seer knew of the future to be so pissed at him. To be fair, Fred had lots of plans to piss people off, but none of them ranged higher than making Minister Fudge turn into a cockatoo mid speech, and eventually breaking into the department of mysteries.
He got the feeling it would take more than that to earn a centaur's ire. Or maybe he was over thinking, he and George did trespass into their forest quite a lot after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

337K 6.6K 35
UNFINISHED STORY, ON HIATUS - MARKED AS COMPLETED 25/07/2023. 18+ 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮. 𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙭𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩. 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘴𝘭𝘰...
13.2K 365 66
"i like you." he says, finally spitting the words out. i stare up at him, he's sweating from his Quidditch match and his hair is sticking to his ski...
25.9K 533 49
"I hate you Fred Weasley! You are the most arrogant, egotistical, air headed, jerk I have ever met! You don't even have the common sense to see that...
1.3K 93 32
"Come to redeem your last favor?" he asks sadly stepping closer to her. Bianca forced herself to look up into his beautiful eyes. Her heart tightened...