Chapter 29: Mollywhop

Mollywhop - Mollywhopping is a San Francisco area slang term to beating someone very severely. Being "mollywhopped" consists of a beating so severe, that you can't even properly fight back, resulting in the feeling that your opponent is a grown man, while you are but a mere little girl, incapable of defending yourself.

Felt like an appropriate chapter title.
Enjoy.

———

Delphi stared as the angry red letter burned itself into a crisp, she couldn't take her eyes off its ashes even as George rubbed her shoulder.
"Relax Phi," called Fred, already turning away to make coffee, "we're used to getting one every other week at school."
Delphi didn't look away, "Just because it's your normal, doesn't mean it should be normal."
"Delphi..." George sighed, "seriously, it's not a big deal, it's just how she vents! We'll get ten more by the end of the day and the novelty will wear off."

George wrapped his arms around her and made to kiss her jaw, but Delphi was not in the mood. Not in that mood anyway, she was stone cold furious. George must have seen the look in her eyes as he pulled away rather rapidly.
"She said you were a disgrace to the Weasley name." Continued Delphi, voice dangerously even.
"Used to it." Muttered Fred, his turned back preventing him seeing the expression that had George backing off their girlfriend so hastily.
"That when this turned into a disaster and you were drowning in debt, you shouldn't expect her to help you."
"Eh. Dad'll let us back, empty threat." Continued Fred casually.
"A threat doesn't have to be genuine to hurt."
"Seriously Phi-" Fred finally turned from the kettle and realised why George had stopped speaking. It was serious Deja vu. First day of sixth year astronomy tower deja vu, "h-honey...dearest...love of m-my life...calm down...pretty pretty please?"
His cajoling did not make her laugh. Or help.
With a flick of wordless magic they hadn't been aware she could even do, the howler's ashes were in a bin, then she stormed past them both, out the kitchen, grabbed her yellow coat, and pulling it on, disapparating without another word.

"Um, will we see our mother alive again?" Asked Fred weakly.
George moved to his side, "I think we managed fall in love with the only woman scarier angry than our mother. Let's never screw this up yeah?"
Fred chuckled, "I don't think we have much of a choice. I never, ever want to be the cause of that expression."
"On a similar note..." George spoke uncertainly, "is this...is this the first time someone's been angry for us?"
Fred eyed him side ways, this was verging into touchy feely territory.  Then again it was true and the thought warmed his chest. "Feels nice, having someone fight for us." He muttered, staring at the space his girlfriend had recently vacated.
George hummed, smiling shyly to himself.

———

Delphi arrived outside the burrow, and strode up to the door taking slow breaths.
However her attempts to calm her temper failed and she raised her heeled black boot and kicked the door off its hinges.
The door flew across the kitchen, narrowly missing Bill Weasley who froze up at his close brush with death.

It was nearing dinner time so all the occupants of the house were there to bear witness. That is: Arthur, Bill and Charlie Weasley. Ron and Ginny still had a week left of school, and Percy wasn't exactly a regular any more.
"Uh..." Bill was staring at her with wide eyes, but Charlie grabbed him before he could say more and tried his best calm smile.
"Hi D-Delphi..." He greered in a slightly high voice, "what can we do for you? Hope the twins are treating you okay?"
"Charlie, Bill, Mr Weasley, shut up and sit down. MOLLY WEASLEY COME HERE RIGHT NOW!"
Her shriek made the three men flinch, before rushing to obey.

Molly Weasley clearly had been in the middle of writing another howler as she was clutching it when she rushed into the kitchen looking confused, though still red faced from shouting. At the sight of Delphi, her face flushed further, and her expression contorted into blind fury.
"YOU HARLOT!" She shouted shrilly, "I know it was you who got my boys to abandon their NEWTs! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN FROM THE MOMENT I HEARD THEY LIKED YOU THAT YOU'D BE A TERRIBLE INFLUENCE ON MY BOYS! A LOVEGOOD! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE AND OUT OF THEIR LIVES THIS INSTANT!"

Charlie had gone ghostly pale, and he gripped his father and brothers' arms tightly to stop them speaking. He knew how Delphi got when she was angry.
Even in a bright yellow coat and stripy purple and green tights the girl looked terrifying.

Her wand was out and casting a silencing charm before any of them could react, muting Molly and disarming her in one fell swoop.
Delphi caught the woman's wand and, keeping eye contact with the witch before her, dropped it in the bin. Molly was starting to turn purple with fury, but at least she stopped yelling.
"You know, you'd be classed as an abusive mother for the contents of that letter you sent this morning?" Her voice was deadly quiet but seemed to echo in the silent kitchen. "Did you realise if I submitted my memory of that howler, you could be arrested?"
Molly launched across the room, and, worried she'd physically attack the girl, Bill hastily stood.
He wasn't needed. Delphi grabbed Molly by the hair and spun her so that she crashed back first into the wall. Delphi was in her face the next moment, pinning the older woman in place with her steely gaze and holding her in place with a hand gripping her collar.
"That letter horrified me. It disgusted me. Yet your sons, didn't even blink. You know what they told me? That they were used to getting letters like that every other week? DO YOU HAVE ANY FUCKING CLUE WHAT YOUR WORDS COULD DO TO A CHILD?"
They were nose to nose, and suddenly Molly didn't look so angry.

"You know what the irony is?" Delphi gave a sarcastic laugh, "You, who bully your children into careers you want for them and harass them if they chose other paths? That out of all your children even fucking Percy...the ones mostly likely to earn respect, money and even fame...are Fred and George."
Molly's eyes widened, but Delphi didn't back off an inch at the show of surprise.
"Those two brilliant boys were inventing potions in their first year at Hogwarts, and spells by their third. They have made huge head way in many fields of magic, and are on their way to inventing a few new ones. They are fucking prodigies that will completely transform Wizarding Britain and beyond."

Delphi almost growled the last words before she pulled away. Without the girl holding her against the wall, Molly staggered forward. The Irish girl's glare was like being held at knife point.
"Those two will make the Weasley name famous. Considering their trajectory right now, they'll rival Nicholas Flamel by their fucking thirties. By some slim miracle these twin geniuses love me, and I feel blessed every day to be a part of their lives. And yet you...the woman who should be supporting their dreams...seem to be doing her very best to crush their passion! I love them too much to see someone they care for causing them so much pain."

Delphi took a deep breath, and straightened her coat as she strode back toward the empty doorway.
"Molly Weasley, consider this a serious wake up call. If I see another howler from you, I will convince the twins to apply for a restraining order and a mail ward. You have done nothing but berate them for most of their lives, I doubt it'll be very difficult to win them over. Especially considering how all three of your eldest children have already made efforts to escape you. Get your shit together Mrs Weasley, or we will cut you out of our lives. Fred and George deserve better."

With that said, Delphi spun on her heel and left the house, a messy kitchen and a horrified mother behind her.

———

She reappeared in the twins' kitchen a moment later, but before she had a chance to explain, or probably apologise for doing what she'd just done without their permission, she was being pressed up against a kitchen cabinet and kissed senseless.

George hadn't given her a moment to even adjust to her surroundings, he didn't even know what she'd done but he couldn't resist her. That righteous fury really drove home the fact that she loved him and Fred. This girl who knew more than anyone else, who in his opinion deserved more than anyone else, somehow loved him.

So he did what any love struck teenage boy with decent self esteem would do. He kissed her, hard. And she kissed back. Their kisses had been chaste, mostly since their arrival at Weasley's Wizard Wheezies...but though it had charm, George was liking this much more.