The Red Wing Mansion

By CSWx1995

Alix is a backpacker out travelling before she goes to college. She takes the odd job to clean a haunted Red... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
The Sequel : The Pearl Wing Mansion
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter One
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Two
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Three
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Four
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Five
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Six
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Seven
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Eight
The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Nine

Chapter Four

1.6K 84 1
By CSWx1995

That afternoon I go to grab my phone from the master bedroom. It was the end of my duties. But I had... admittedly, decided to leave the master bedroom untouched.

It wasn't cleaned this time, but I would do it next time.

I walk toward the closed white door, and grab the grey handle.

Fontaine had been absent in his haunting, since our tiff in the garden and the laundry.

Now I open the door, with a plan simple in mind.

It was dusk and I knew how quickly the light faded, so... I was leaving immediately. I wasn't going to linger.

Even if Fontaine and I repeat last week... when he cornered me up here.

I suck in a breath and I open the door.

My phone is on the floor, and it's slid... just under the master bed.

The – the bed. It wasn't a master bed. What a stupid way to phrase it.

Nothing about the room is out of the ordinary – which makes me oddly disappointed.

Time to scoop up that damn phone and get out of here. I take a few steps forward, and then I do notice a difference.

There's a riding crop on the bed.

At the edges.

The door behind me creaks, and I spin but it doesn't shut.

I look around, turning in two circles, waiting for Claudius to appear. When he doesn't, my phone buzzes and I face it once more. It still had battery, but it was low.

I walk over and lean down, my eyes level with the bed sheets and the riding crop, as I pick up the phone and stand back up.

I check the message that just came through.

Rob.

Hello, Alix. I know you're backpacking before college, but I would like to make the offer anyway. Please consider a full time position of caretaker for the Red Wing. I need help for 6 months. If you can accept, you can even stay in the Red Wing – the master bedroom is all yours. Let me know if you'll take up the offer. Rob.

I look at the master bed – which I decide to call it. And I stare at that riding crop.

I have a little smirk on my face, as I lean down to touch it.

Realising at the last moment that it's not clean – and it's actually dotted with dried brown blood stains.

I stumble back from it and I turn around, feeling a chill pass through my entire physical body.

Out the window, the beige sky is turning amber.

Time to bolt!

Claudius Fontaine is not here – or at least, not showing himself.

Heart clenching from the view of blood on that dusty old crop, I power walk out of there.

This time I make it to the car safe, with no rolled ankle.

I turn the car on and the head lights, putting it into drive before I linger any longer.

I pull out – and I decide to think about all this when I get to my accommodation.

****

After another week walking around town, I'm half way through my stay and in just one more week I'll be going home... to begin college... or, if I push college back one more year, I could be... yeah, I'm thinking about it, alright?

Against all common sense.

I'm thinking about Rob's offer.

To be a temporary caretaker for the Red Wing.

For 6 months – it was thousands of dollars. Easy money.

Easy, easy, money.

B-but... more than the money. Was the ghost.

Claudius.

Yeah, I could handle the day but... at night... how the hell could I sleep in such an old place, that didn't even have electricity? Rob said he'd provide fire wood and fire starters, to help keep me warm.

He knew I was thinking about it.

Well, on my second last drive back to the Red Wing – I have some serious questions for Claudius. If he appears.

But I was afraid how to approach the subject.

I wanted to stay because of him. I was magnetically drawn to him. But, I was either crazy and delusional, if I thought I could have some kind of thing with a ghost.

I should just tell Rob no thanks. I should just say no. I should just go straight to college.

I park the car outside the Red Wing mansion, and I see Claudius almost immediately.

He's walking from the old run down stables, which were locked shut with chains – and he's heading towards the side of the mansion. He walks in through a side gate – and then enters the Red Wing.

I get out of the car with my cleaning equipment in my fanny pack, and I leave my phone and keys in the car. The Red Wing was isolated enough so I could keep it all together without worrying of someone stealing my possessions.

I walk into the mansion through the front, eager to get this discussion rolling.

"Sir?" I call out immediately, my voice echoes, as I shut the door behind me, "Can we talk? Fontaine?"

I wait, staring at empty air, hands in my pockets of my ripped jeans.

I tap my foot as I wait for Claudius to appear.

After a minute of standing still in the lobby, I start to blush on the spot.

He's not appearing.

But I feel like he's just taunting me.

I guess I was going against the rules. Ghosts chose when to appear.

It wasn't up to me.

So, I get out my rag, and I start to clean on my second last shift in the Red Wing.

****

8 hours later

I am completely alone in the Red Wing.

I even felt it. Loneliness. Alone-ly-ness, you could say. He was gone. I don't know where.

Strangely... I felt like I was comfortable here now.

Like I could do it.

I stare at the fire place, where Robert has stacked up wood for me to use if I stay, or for whoever takes the job.

I even head to the master bedroom, and I see brand new white sheets on the bed. New pillows too. The riding crop is gone.

Rob was a very generous and kind owner.

I feel at ease.

And it's almost like Claudius never existed at all.

"Cozy," I murmur under my breath, looking around, I wonder how much online content I could get for my vlog channel online. Maybe I could even do it full time.

The school counsellor taught me to take opportunities when they arose.

I had the best day – my best day yet.

I knew every room. I knew where everything was. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was going to make me a big buck.

Caretaker of Red Wing.

Hmm.

So.

Why the fuck not?

I turn on my heel and I skip right out of there, back to my car.

Fontaine out of sight, out of mind – I pick up my phone and I go to send the text.

To accept.

And I hesitate.

I look up one last time, through the windshield, searching for the ghost.

Claudius is nowhere to be seen. Huh.

My parents had approved the move if I wanted to try it.

My friends thought it was cool, and wanted to visit.

I had approval from every angle.

Fuck it.

I text Rob.

Thank you. I would love to. Thank you for the new bed sheets and firewood.

I start the car to move off.

And just like any older man – Rob is right onto replying quick.

A thumbs up, a smiley face and then one final text.

Mansion will be ready for you next Sunday.

I raise a brow.

My last day at Red Wing.

Was about to become my first day.

I look it over.

Majestic in the early sunset.

With a grin, I pull off – I already can't wait to get back next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634 54 40
Alistair's being plagued by dreams about a certain creature. And someone who could be his Grandmother, but no, she died. He lives in a town called Mi...
28.2K 709 11
My another oneshot collection but this is a BL (Boy's Love)(BoyxBoy) wherein Bottom Yandere x Top Reader . โž  ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ต 25 ๐”‚๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฎ ๐ต๐ฟ ๐”ฌ๐”ฏ๏ฟฝ...
217K 3.4K 61
PLEASE READ MY BIO! Complete on Dreame and Ao3 Dax Whitlock is bored. He lives a boring life as a CEO of his company, doing the same exact thing day...
238K 7.8K 24
"I hate you, I hate everything about you. You're no better then the devil." Tears flowed from her eyes like a rainy day. " You believe I'm the devil...