Truly Human (GXG)

By irilenaps

Alethea Robin Doe raised herself; she grew up in an orphanage and chose her own last name. At 19, she's final... More

Writer's Note
A Death
Thea, Nice To Meet You
This Is Getting Annoying
Someone's A Morning Person
This Hasn't Happened Consciously Before
I Don't Tense Up
May I Have This Dance?
That's My Shoe!

I Have A Cat

20 5 0
By irilenaps

Thea and Daisy were making out on the stairs to Thea's apartment. They stumbled to the door, giggling and shushing each other; Thea really didn't want to wake her landlady again. That poor woman (probably) didn't deserve it. Thea searched through her bag for her keys as Daisy kissed her shoulder and fumbled with the bottom of her shirt, possibly contemplating whether she wanted to slip her hand under it then or later.

As they pushed the door open and turned on the lights (not once ceasing to laugh), they found three figures in the living room and recognised them as the small group from the bar. Thea yelped and Daisy stepped in front of her protectively, letting out a subtle hic from all the drinks they had earlier.

Oh no.

"Do you know these people?" Daisy asked her new friend. Thea shook her head rapidly, not taking her eyes off them.

The blonde girl raised her hands in defence. "Calm down, we're not here to hurt anyone—"

"You're joking, right? That's a fucking demon." The girl with the pink hair scowled. She was holding Devie in her arms. "She really couldn't make it any more obvious."

"She's not doing anything wrong, Dorothy..." the blonde told her carefully.

"What the Hell is going on?" Thea spoke up. "And could you please put my cat down?"

"We're from Winston Mansion. Your aunt sent us to pick you up," the boy replied. Dorothy put Devie down and the cat ran off.

What a wise cat... If there's anyone worthy of respect in here, it's the cat.

"Oh, sure, because I'd follow the three strangers that broke into my house and picked up my cat anywhere. I don't have an aunt, not that it's any of your business. You've got the wrong place, now fuck off." She (drunkenly) gestured around with her hand, then pointed at the door with her thumb.

Dorothy leaned towards the blonde. "Did she completely miss the part when I said there's a demon standing in front of her?"

"Oh, for Hell's sake! Witches weren't this annoying the last time I was around! It's like you're de-evolving or something." Daisy rolled her eyes. "You heard the lady, you've got the wrong place, get out."

The blonde squared her shoulders. She clearly wanted things to be done with so she could go home or wherever. "You're Alethea Robin Doe, are you not?"

Daisy tensed and looked confused for a moment. "What...?"

Thea shrugged. "And what of it?"

"Your mum was Lilly Winston; she died a few weeks after giving birth to you. For unknown reasons, you ended up in an orphanage instead of at the family home. We've been trying to find you ever since we found out you existed, which hasn't been very long," the girl paused. She seemed awfully calm and confident, but at the same time as if she wanted to be anywhere else but there. "I'm your cousin, Audrey Winston."

I think she's telling the truth.

Thea stared at her, not wanting to believe a single word she said. She resisted the urge to look at the ring she had hanging from her neck, her mother's ring. She'd seen it a thousand times before, she knew very well it had the initials L.W. carved on it, but this must have been a coincidence. "You're lying."

I hate you. You know I'm right. You're doing this on purpose.

Daisy was visibly nervous as she whispered at her. "What the Hell? You didn't tell me you're a Winston..."

"I have no idea what she's talking about. I told you, I grew up in foster care."

Dorothy scoffed. "Just ask your demon friend. I doubt she just happened to stumble upon you when Hell's turned upside down trying to get to you before us."

Daisy tried to protest. "That's not—"

"Oh, don't even try it. I'd rather die than listen to some hellspawn's excuses," Dorothy interrupted her. Daisy shot her a glare.

"I'm too fucking drunk for this, can't you people just come back and annoy me some other day? Can't you see we're busy? Read the room." Thea crossed her arms.

"Uh... Thea?" Daisy ran a hand through her hair.

"What?"

"I think they're telling the truth."

Thea blinked, more confused than ever. "Excuse me?"

Daisy kept her voice low, so the others couldn't hear. "The other person I'm looking for? They told me her name's Alethea Doe, but I didn't make the connection. I thought Thea was short for Dorothea or something."

Thea chuckled awkwardly. "You're joking."

She is most definitely not joking.

Daisy slowly shook her head, her expression dead serious. "Someone in Hell really wants to meet you."

Thea glanced at Audrey, Dorothy and the other guy before turning back to the demon. "What are you saying?"

The demon seemed pale now. Cold sweat had started to form on her forehead, and she was trying her best to keep her hands from shaking. "I... Hell, I don't know. If I fail this... They'll put me back in the freezer, that's for sure. I can't risk it again."

Thea instinctively took a step back and immediately felt bad. Daisy sounded (and looked) really conflicted.

You just had to flirt with the cute girl at the bar right after your break-up, didn't you?

"I swear, I didn't know until now."

"I doubt it," Dorothy chimed in. "Don't listen to her, that's what hellspawn like her are trained to do. They get in your head and turn you into easy prey. We're your safest bet."

Daisy grimaced at hellspawn. She really didn't like that word and Dorothy noticed. She smiled at her discomfort.

I don't like those odds. Or the way she phrased that. Or her.

"Aw, the Moon-obsessed girlie is trying to hurt my feelings... What next? You'll try to magic me to death? Fuck off."

"Oh, I'm really going to enjoy killing you."

Daisy burst out laughing. "You? Kill me? Oh honey... Better people have tried and failed miserably. Make sure you succeed because you won't live long enough to get a second chance."

"Enough! We can still resolve this peacefully," Audrey cut in, "just get out of here and pretend you never saw us. Tell your boss you got here too late and we were already gone."

"Audrey, no! We're not letting some hellspawn walk away like nothing happened!"

"But nothing happened! Can you set your prejudices aside for a moment so we can do what we came to do? We're not here on a demon-hunting quest and even if we were, she hasn't done anything."

Now, that's what a voice of reason sounds like. I like her. I can relate.

"You don't understand what's at stake for me." Daisy focused on Audrey.

"We can't let you take her," the guy sighed.

"Gee, way to point out the obvious, Jake..." Dorothy rolled her eyes.

"Shut up..."

"Don't I get a choice in this? I'm tired of watching you all argue over me like I'm some sort of toy and you're the unsupervised toddlers at daycare!"

The sound of heels clicking against the wooden floor of the hallway behind her interrupted the conversation. A really tall woman in her mid-to-late forties walked inside, lighting a cigarette.

"I hope you don't mind, dear," she told Thea. She had ginger hair, with a few grey streaks here and there, caught in a really neat and tight bun. Thin, square glasses framed her brown eyes, and she was wearing a white shirt, perfectly tucked under a long, dark pencil skirt. "Do let me know if the smoke bothers you."

"Mum? What are you doing here? We have this under control," Audrey addressed the newcomer.

"I know honey, I never doubted that. I just had a bit of a meeting in the neighbourhood and thought to drop by and see how things were going. I brought a car." She took a drag out of her cigarette and turned to Daisy. "Dear, do us all a favour and run along. The grown ups have this under control now." She smiled sweetly at her.

"I'm not going anywhere." Daisy stubbornly crossed her arms.

Dorothy gritted her teeth. "Just let me kill her, already."

Jill looked appalled by the idea. "Oh, darling, what sort of heathens do you think we are? We don't just go about our day killing random people."

"Jill, she's a demon."

"And I can assure you that I've met some decent sort in my day. Some better than certain witches."

Dorothy clenched her jaw and fists, but didn't say anything else.

Jill focused on Daisy once again. "Now, I hear you've been looking for someone. Take this and go, you don't have to die today." She handed her a folded piece of paper.

Daisy curiously opened it and silently read whatever was written on it. She sounded shaken when she spoke again. "Where did you get this? Did you read it?"

"Does it matter? You won't get in trouble for failing, this time. You may have friends in high places but even they can do so much."

"What about Thea?"

"That's not really your business anymore, is it? If there is another encounter between you two, which I doubt, feel free to follow whatever orders you've been given. For now, consider this matter settled."

"Can you all stop trying to decide stuff for me? If you're trying to get me on your side, you're doing a pretty bad job at it!" Thea snapped again. "I'm not going with any of you, get out of my house!" Her voice cracked and she barely managed to hold back a sob.

Jill blinked, possibly just realising how overwhelming this must have been for her niece.

"Alethea—"

"Don't call me that! I don't give a fuck who you are! Even if you're telling the truth, who are you to me? I grew up knowing I had a family out there that didn't want me. Who are you to come barging into my life like that? Who gives you the right? Look at you all, arguing about who gets to drag me along, as if I have no mind and life of my own. I have a job. I have a house. I have a cat. I don't need you; I don't need anyone. That ship has long sailed, you're too late."

No one spoke for a few very long moments. Thea, who'd paused to catch her breath after her rant, saw this as an opportunity to keep going.

"You told me the Winstons didn't know where I was? Then why did they tell me I had an aunt out there who'd come and get me someday? Why did I spend my whole childhood hoping someone would come, only to be disappointed time and again? How dare you?" She stomped her foot down, fuming. Her fists were clenched so tightly that her nails had started to dig into her palms. It stung, but not as much as her eyes that were barely holding back angry tears.

Jill took a deep breath. "You're right and you deserve an explanation."

Tell her to shove it!

"Shove your explanation! I don't give a damn anymore. You're too fucking late. I don't know what you expected to find here, but it's definitely not a niece."

That's my girl!

"You don't have to like it or like us. You have every right to be angry. You deserved better and I'm sorry I couldn't do that for you, I really am. I promise, I'll tell you everything you want to hear; why, when, how... everything, but it's not safe here. There are more demons coming and they won't be as nice as your friend over here. You need to come with us." The woman claiming to be her aunt explained patiently.

"I don't need to do anything."

"Moon grant me patience, you're as stubborn as your mother!"

Daisy cleared her throat and turned to Thea. "Can we talk in private for a moment?"

Dorothy rolled her eyes. "You're not seriously considering—"

"Sure." Thea ignored her and led Daisy to her bedroom, away from prying eyes and ears, before anyone could protest.

Daisy plopped down on the bed, burying her hands between her thighs. She looked nervous and was still very much shaken by the paper Jill had handed her.

"I must admit, I was surprised you agreed to talk to me after, well, all that..."

"I needed to get out of there. You're also the only person that actually cared about my opinion, in a way." Thea hugged herself, avoiding her gaze. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I think you should go with them. I know you don't want to and that you didn't ask for my input on the subject, but it's better than the alternatives."

"Which are?"

Daisy chuckled bitterly. "Either I take you to Hell myself or I pretend you got away and someone else comes after you and drags you to Hell instead and I end up in the freezer. There's nowhere you can hide from these guys," she paused and sighed. "I really wish I knew what they want with you. Maybe that would make things easier, but I guess it doesn't matter now. Demons have always been secretive but after... last time they haven't been telling me anything."

"What happened last time?"

"I'd really rather not talk about it..."

Thea nodded slowly. "What if I go with them? Is it safer? Should I trust them?"

"It will definitely be safer, at least for a while. Witches have all sorts of wards to keep demons out. The Winstons especially have always been really careful about that; I hear there's never been an... unwanted visitor in their mansion and they're one of the oldest witch families. As for trusting them, you shouldn't. Even if they are your family, they have always been shady, even by demon standards. I do think your aunt means well, though."

"What about you?"

Daisy smirked. "Are you worried about me?"

"How could I not be?"

"Even though I'm flattered, you shouldn't. Your aunt, Jill, whatever, seems to have taken care of it." Daisy shrugged.

"If you don't mind me asking... What was on that paper?"

Daisy took a deep breath and pouted, wondering whether she should answer or not. "My birth name, from back when I was still human," she said. "Anyway, it doesn't matter. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I don't really like any of my options."

"Yeah, I feel you."

"Do you really think I should go to the Winstons?"

"No, but I think they're your safest bet."

"What if you're wrong?"

"I'd love to say that I'd come and rescue you, but then we'd both be in big trouble."

"So, I'm guessing I'm not getting a second date out of you?"

"Unfortunately you barely got a first. If we meet again... Well, for both our sakes I hope we don't. You were lucky enough we got to know each other... Next time, if one, I'll have no choice but to face you as a target."

"Well, that's a relief..." Thea mumbled under her breath.

Daisy got up and headed for the door. She stopped in front of Thea, a solemn expression on her face, and intertwined her pinkie fingers with hers. "For what it's worth, I'm sorry it turned out this way. I had a lot of fun tonight, for the first time in more years than I care to count." With that, she lightly brushed her lips against Thea's cheek and walked out.

Damn.

After a few seconds, Thea followed her outside, where everyone was looking at her expectantly (and kind of surprised that she was still alive after her one-on-one with the demon, who was already gone, much to both Dorothy and Thea's disappointment).

"I'm coming, but I have a few conditions."

Jill's face lightened up. "Anything."

"I want my mum's old room, I'm bringing my cat and you'll tell me everything; no more secrets. Oh, and the moment something freaky happens in that mansion of yours, I'm out of there. Got it?"

"There are some things I can't tell you yet and it's not because I don't want to." Jill sighed.

"Did I fucking stutter? I want the truth."

"And you'll get it, just not all at once."

"Fine."

"But, mum, no one's been able to get into aunt Lilly's room since—" Audrey spoke up.

"I know. Maybe it will work this time." Jill turned to Thea. "Open the door and it's all yours for the taking. It's been magically locked since your mum... left the mansion. It's exactly as she left it all those years ago."

"Good. So, when are we leaving?"

"Pack your things, I'll get the car. Kids, go wait downstairs."

"I'll stay and help." Dorothy offered.

Audrey looked like she was about to protest, but instead shook her head and followed Jake and her mother out of the apartment.

Dorothy hesitantly approached Thea, looking a little embarrassed. "Hey... I think we got off on the wrong foot." She extended her hand. "I'm Dorothy. Dorothy Wilde."

Thea scanned her from head to toe before shaking it. "Thea Doe."

"I'm sorry for what I said about your... friend before. I'll admit, I'm a little prejudiced against demons, but it's not without reason."

A little? Ha! I'd love to hear that reason of hers. But not really.

Thea rummaged through her closet for a suitcase. She didn't really care about finding out but asked anyway. "Why do you hate demons?"

"It's... complicated. I'll probably tell you sooner or later, but I'd rather go with later for now. It's been a long night. Anyway, what do you need help with?"

"I don't have too many things so can handle it on my own, you don't have to help."

"I know, but I want to. I feel like I owe you after all the trouble we caused."

As you should.

"It's fine," Thea lied.

"It's not. You expect honesty from us, right? I want you to speak your mind, with me at least. This would be too much for anyone, I'm sorry we were all so inconsiderate at first. I don't know why we assumed you'd want to come with us right away."

"I still don't want to come along. I just liked this option better than the others and I wouldn't have agreed if Daisy hadn't talked me into it."

"Well, I hope we'll change your mind about that!" Dorothy smiled brightly. She looked kinda cute, but Thea was too angry to pay attention to it at the time. She sat on top of the nearly overflowing suitcase and turned to her guest.

"Can you help me zip this?"

"Of course!"

By the time they were done packing, the sun was fully up, and the morning breeze had started to disappear. Devie didn't seem all too happy to be in her box, but Thea couldn't risk her running off or peeing in the car.

Before leaving, she dropped by her landlady's apartment to give her the keys. She found the door slightly ajar and when she went inside, she was confused by the complete lack of furniture. The house had been completely stripped of, well, everything and there was no sign of anyone having lived there in the past few days, even though Thea had only just seen Miss Bluebell a couple of days before.

All that was left was a handwritten note on the floor, in the centre of the room:

"Any time now...
-Moira
P.S.: Keep the keys."

Thea left the building more confused than ever, but she was to realise that a lot of things would be competing to make her feel that way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

580 52 32
Life could not have gotten more complicated for Willow and Moira. Willow was a university going student with her eyes set on the future. In her final...
64 1 27
"The realization and truth of my life confused me. My stepmother was actually my father. The man I knew as my father was really a stranger. I was hal...
27K 3K 82
Magic or family? The choice will change her life forever. *** Lillith Hemlock is the last i...
633K 34.6K 67
Time didn't matter to her. She got up when the sun did and tried to sleep when the sun went down. because of this seemingly endlessness, she's forgot...