If you could see me now

By killjoyatthedisco15

Your parentage doesn't determine who you are as a person. Cassidy Monteiro is not your typical FBI agent. Her... More

You are your own destiny. Live it well.
When the past comes to light
Confront your fears, you don't know where it will take you
Reliving the past
This too Shall Pass
Private Fears in Public Places
Author's Note

Books and Donuts and things

41 0 0
By killjoyatthedisco15

"Hey, you've been in here for a while. Everything okay?" Hotch said.

"I'm fine. Just catching up with some old acquaintances."

"Reid found something."

"I'm almost done."

"Here you go, Cass. I took the liberty of arranging them the way they like it."

"You're all set, now please get out of my store."

"Okay, okay. I'm on my way out." Hotch grabbed the two boxes from me. "Thanks, Hotch." As soon as we got into the car, I sighed. "You see why I got the donuts?" He cracked a smile.

"The team is waiting for us."

"It's right down this road on the left."

"Hi, can I help you?"

"My name is SSA Hotchner, this is SSA Monteiro. We're with the BAU."

"Go on through."

"You!" I heard. "What are you doing here?" I sighed.

"Shut it, Kirsch. I don't want to hear it. I want you all to be as helpful as possible to every agent in the BAU team, and if you have any problems with that, keep it to yourself."

"Reid, you said you had something over the phone."

"In here." He led us to the conference room. Each of the victims had pieces of paper rolled up and put in their mouths before their mouths were glued shut."

"What do the pieces of paper have on them?"

"Just seemingly random numbers."

"Could it be a book cipher?"

"I mean it could, but we have no idea what book, or what publishing year."

"I might." I gently placed the book on the table.

"Kidnapped by Stevenson? I've read it. Is this a First Edition?"

"My father used to read it to us as a bedtime story. And yes, it is a first edition copy. Someone bought it and put my name on the order. Someone who knows I changed my name."

"Can I see the code?" I examined it carefully. "If this is a book cipher, it doesn't give a page number, it seems it does give a chapter number though. Here, you read it. I saw you reading on the plane and you can read faster than I can." I handed him the book.

"Read off the first group of numbers."

"1 22 23"

"Son"

"Sun, as in star in the sky, or son as in child?"

"Child."

"1 8 8"

"Where."

"7 85 7"

"Children"

"8 5 16"

"Are"

"4 63 6

"Kept.

"Is that what it says? Son where children are kept?"

"Yeah."

"Knowing what you do about this community, where do you think that is?"

"This might be far-fetched but Nana's house. She wasn't anyone's grandmother, but that's what everyone called her. Everyone loved her. I never learned her full name until her funeral."

"Why do you think it's there?"

"She was a foster mother. It's where I was placed in between the time my father was put into prison and when my mom woke up."

"Who owns the house now?"

"I have no idea. Let's ask. Hey, Kirsch!"

"Yes, Agent Monteiro."

"Who owns Nana's house now?"

"My sister and her husband."

"Who's her husband?"

"Conner Nonaday."

"Okay." I walked back into the conference room and

"Fountain of knowledge, you toss it, we grant it."

"Hey, It's Cassidy. I need info on Conner and Marie Nonaday."

"Graduated from Williamston High school, class of 04, both attended Cornell, got married in 07, "

"What about kids?"

"They have no kids listed."

"Okay. Does anybody else live in the house?"

"Yes, Marie's older brother Hunter."

"Okay. One more thing."

"Bring it."

"Can you get me the current location of Marie and Conner?"

"Yep. I just sent it to your phone."

"You are a goddess."

"Oh, I know."

"Cassidy, can I speak to you for a second?" Hotch said.

"Is something wrong?"

"Are you okay?"

"Hotch, I just found out that my son might be alive and it all comes back to this town. I'm not okay but I'll survive. I can do this. I know my limitations and if we reach them, you'll be the second to know."

"Second?"

"Well, I'd have to know first, wouldn't I?"

"I guess you would."

"Do you think this is good enough for a search warrant?"

"A search warrant would take too long. Why don't we just ask our way in?" Hotch nodded.

"Prentiss, you and I will go talk to them. Cassidy, stay here and help Reid with the geological profile. If your son is at that house, I will call you."

"His name is Noah."

"Okay." They left. I hadn't noticed how spaced out I was until Morgan got my attention.

"Cassidy!"

"Sorry."

"No, it's okay. I got you this. It's just hot chocolate. I figured with everything going on right now, you might not want the caffeine."

"Thanks, Morgan."

"Hey, I'm here if you need to talk." I smiled before taking a sip. "Hey, Reid? How far are you on the geological profile?"

"I'm actually almost done with the information we have so far."

"Okay. I need some fresh air, so I'm going to take a walk. If you need me, I'll still have my cell."

"Cassidy, I don't think that's a good idea. Hotch told you to stay here."

"I need to talk to somebody. I'm not going to the house. I'll be within shouting distance, I promise."

"Okay." I went into the park down the road and walked down the footpath until I found what I was looking for.

"Hey, Noah. I know, I know, it's been a while since I've been around to talk to you, but there are reasons for it, I promise. Beanie, I'm so angry, I don't know what to do. My father may have had a hand in kidnapping my son. I've been driving myself nuts just thinking about it. My baby has been without his parents for 3 months. Not to mention the new murders in town. Everyone thinks I had something to do with it because apparently, I am just like my father. They forget that I was a victim too. They just don't care. And I understand their grief. I lost people too. I just wish you were here so you could tell me everything's going to be okay. I miss you, Beanie. I miss you so much." I sat there for a little while, talking in between sobs on Noah's favorite bench.

Hotch

"Hey, Hotch." Morgan greeted us as we entered.

"They won't let us in without a warrant."

"Damn." I looked around.

"Where's Cassidy?"

"She went for a walk, said she needed to talk to somebody."

"Did she say who?"

"No, no she did not."

"Excuse me, Agent Hotchner?"

"Yes?"

"I believe I know where Cassie is."

"Where?"

"Let me show you." Morgan and I followed the officer outside, down the street, and onto the footpath of the local park. It was then that I saw her. Sitting on a bench talking and crying. "That bench was dedicated to my son. Noah and his friends would hang around this park for hours."

"Who?"

"Noah, Cassidy, Lachlan, Luisa, Conner, Lachlan's twin brother, and Marie. They were thick as thieves, the group of them. The best of friends. Lachlan and Cassidy dated in high school, now that I think about it. Noah and his mother died in a car accident when the kids were in 10th grade. Shortly after the accident, her father was arrested and convicted, and Cassie and Vera moved away. I had just walked in to file my reports when she walked outside, and I didn't get a chance to speak with her."

"Thank you. Morgan, I got this. We'll meet you back at the police station." I walked up behind her. "Cassidy." She turned around.

"How long have you been standing there?" She asked, her dark curls bouncing in the breeze, and her dark brown eyes red from crying.

"Not too long. I was concerned about your state of mind."

"I'm okay right now, Hotch. So what's the situation at the Nonaday house?"

"They wouldn't let us in."

"So get a warrant, what's the problem?"

"The Warrant won't be here until morning."

"Okay. I have a solution. I know a judge. If he can't sign it, then he will know someone who can."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

444K 30.2K 45
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
262K 9.1K 104
She was a capitol elite. He was the youngest victor in history. Their friendship was frowned upon, but their love was forbidden. Extended Summary Ins...
514K 14.6K 107
"aren't we just terrified?" 9-1-1 and criminal minds crossover 9-1-1 season 2- criminal minds season 4- evan buckley x fem!oc
456K 13.7K 97
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...