The Other Daughter

By Altheyuhmoves

"One unfortunate encounter resulted in a great love she will always remember. But what if your greatest love... More

Chapter 1: The Chance Encounter with the Other Rich Man's Daughter
Chapter 3: Deal with the Devil
Chapter 4 : The Spectator & the Star
Chapter 5: Monsoons in Saysain
Chapter 6: Tattooed Sundays
Chapter 7: The Concept of Tià 疼
Chapter 8 : No Sweeter Regret
Chapter 9: Respice Finem

Chapter 2: Interview with the Heiress

972 30 11
By Altheyuhmoves

_____

Back in Pat's room as she listens to Rey Valera, she stares at a photo of Krystal in the news.   Tons of headlines are all over the news sites on Krystal Tanchingco leaving for the US.

For good.

"Sinira ko ba buhay mo? Did you ever wish you never met me.   Did you ever wish --- I just really ruined you?Na sana business negotiation lang talaga lahat," Pat asked.

She crashed into her bed, wiping her tears away as she leaned on her old pillow.

God, even her pillows still smell like her.

____

Back to months ago...

Krystal was lying down now on her hotel bed still trying to get out of her drunken stupor.

She still cannot believe one tabloid reporter can ruin her life. She wrote that scathing article on her, she caught her making out with a starlet, and Maria Patricia Lumaban can absolutely ruin her life by outing her.

She still wore Pat's ID badge as she studied the social media page of "patataspat" - there were barely any solo photos, most of her photos were of her dog, her work, her mom, her childhood and her tropa.

"BOOOOOOORING. Basic," Krystal said as she browsed through the page.

In Pat's room that same minute. She hit confirm on her new follower.   She wanted to immediately message her back.

Pat kept rustling on the bed as she replied back to Krystal's message.

"I am really sorry na inapakan kita...."

No. Too docile. Delete.

"Why did you even threaten me like that? What made you think that was right? "

Backspace. Delete.

She sighed and started typing a paragraph.

"Hi, Krystal. I know it was wrong for me to step on you and I am so sorry for that. I am also sorry that I had to witness that. You have my word. I will not say a thing."

Second message.

"What I am not sorry about though is my right to do my job as a reporter. My article was just another side of how people portray you. I just played devil's advocate. Tama ka, truce na tayo. I do want to talk and my only request is for you not to threaten me when we meet. Thank you. Saan mo gusto mag-meet up?"

The screen shifted to "Seen".

No response from Krystal.

"Seen mode talaga?!"

She shuffled again.

A loud mumble distracted Pat as she shifted to see her best friend, Chanelle beside her in her pajamas and her cold silk mask.

"Mygod, Pat --- UTANG NA LOOB--- buong gabi ka na ikot nang ikot sa kama ko," Chanelle sighed as she grabbed a pillow and threw it on Pat's face.

"Biro mo tapos niya ako ---- imanyak at ithreaten--- seen mode lang ako," Pat exclaimed, extremely annoyed while she browsed through Krystal's popular social media page.

"Minanyak ka ba o tinignan ID mo," Chanelle said in her groggy voice, sitting up to see what her friend is blabbing about.

Pat suddenly got quiet and looked guilty.

"Well--- tinignan niya ID ko."

Chanelle was annoyed as she took off her eye mask, looking at Pat in shock.

"I cannot believe we never saw it coming na she's as gay as her cousin, Jade Tanchingco.   Pero ang malandi yung wholesome na Mia Agosa.   Kay arte ayaw raw magkissing scenes sa movies pero super MOMOL sa banyo?"

"Chan, wag mo naman pagkalat, wala naman ako balak iout siya. Nakwento ko lang sa'yo kasi best friends tayo," Pat's face was suddenly guilt-ridden as she whispered.

Chanelle sighed as she spoke.

"You know me. I keep secrets well. My lips are sealed. Eh --- bakit ka galit na galit diyan? I was going to get my beauty sleep pero para kang kiti-kiti diyan."

Pat shuffled again as she sat up staring at Krystal's instagram profile.

"She said she wants a truce at gusto niya mag-meet up. Am I walking into a trap," Pat asked her best friend as she sighed heavily.

"If it's a trap -- it's the best trap you will walk into. Book an interview. Make it juicy. Destroy her or praise her --- whatever is best for your career. She's a rich man's daughter.  Gamitan is the name of the game there and kailangan niya ibalik yung isang sapatos ko," Chanelle said as she playfully hit her friend's head.

"Pwede ba matulog na tayo, Pat. Pumayag ako magovernight ka dito, thinking I can get some beauty rest. Please. Maaga pa ako bukas, may urgent care rounds pa ako sa ospital baka kung ano pa mabunot ko sa oral surgery patient kung pupuyatin mo ako!"

Pat grumbled to herself as she tried to keep her eyelids shut. The night of the Guillermo Awards repeating in her mind over and over and over.

——————-

"Ang daldal nito," Krystal saw the tabloid reporter, Pat Lumaban's long message and she rolled her eyes.

Then she started thinking about that kiss of dejection--- the horrendous fight at the Guillermo. Her greatest rejection.

Mia and Krystal did not exactly have a relationship.

It was just a tumultuous three weeks.
They were both guests at a GMA-7 morning show and she knew Mia had taken some interest in her.

Krystal never had a problem with girls.   In all aspects - Krystal was attractive.   She was tall in the statuesque kind, she had a certain allure to her and it sure helped she was a Tanchingco heiress.

When people think that girls are catty or intimidating - she never had such an experience.   She knew how to approach women, she knew how to talk to them, and if they were willing she knew how to woo them.

Mia first started out as innocent flirting over text messages and instagram dms. Later on it became drunken kisses and just a few nights ago - it went straight to the bedroom.

Their relationship was a lot of Mia ignoring her and then suddenly frantically calling her to get her attention. But when they ended up having sex, Mia went on to disappear and ghost her.

She should be used to women experimenting with her. As far back as she can remember, Krystal always knew she liked girls.   As young as twelve, she already got her heart broken in sixth grade when her first kiss, Joy from London told her she had a boyfriend.

Krystal has had tons of experience with women, she did go to an all girls-school and she was known to have quite an effect on them. When she would pass through the high school corridors, the girls would often try to get her attention.   When she got older, she did not have to do much, women were just naturally drawn to her.  That was the Krystal Tanchingco effect.

But she has always failed in relationships, she's a lot to take in for most of these girls she has been with.   She thought maybe an actress would understand her situation as a pressured public figure. So having Mia ghost her ---- it stung.

Having Mia reject her in the most ruthless of ways --- she felt even more stupid.

It has become a habit for Krystal to check Mia's social media.

Instagram. Twitter. Facebook.

But only for her to realize ---- she has been blocked in all of it.

"Fuck," she muttered under her breath. She tried calling her number --- cannot be reached. She was probably blocked there too.

She frustratingly threw her phone on the hotel floor.   As she tried to breathe from her stress. Then her phone suddenly beeps again.

She leaned in to stare at her phone on the soft carpeted floor.

Patataspat sent you a message

"Saan mo gusto magkita?"

Krystal chucked in her usual arrogant stride.

She sat up in her damp and gleaming white bath robe as she replied to the annoying tabloid reporter.

"Hi Miss Cheap Tabloid Reporter, Patricia Lumaban, triple replies are a bit much? Do you really talk this much? Good night," Krystal typed in.

She plopped herself to the hotel bed as she tried to bring herself to sleep.

-—————-

Pat was staring at her phone when she stirred on Chanelle's bed.

"UGHHHHHHHH. I hate this assignment," she said, burying her head into the pillow.

—————-

It was a Monday and Pat was running late. In her exhaustion, she did not hear her alarm clock blaring at 5 AM.  

Her hair was still wet from the shower, her bra strap was peeking from her red top, her eyes groggy with puyat, and her face completely devoid of makeup, but just a hint liptint on her lips.

She was still miffed that Krystal never gave her a proper reply.

She was wondering if she can even get her PRESS badge back since the heiress has ignored all her messages.

Pat was flustered as she got into her junkyard-worthy Nissan.   When she started her car, black smoke was coming out of it and it sounded like two metal scrapes were clashing with each other.

"Tangina, ngayon pa ito titirik,"she kept starting the car to no avail.

She saw a Grab motorcycle going around her little and cozy neighborhood in Parañaque.

"Aga-aga may nagorder na," Pat said, partly annoyed as she got out of her car trying to see what's wrong with her engine.   She went back and forth going in and out of her car.

She was starting the engine again, when she heard a knock on her car window.

It was the Grab motorcycle - with the rider staring right through her.

She rolled down her windows, confused with the sudden stranger.

"Bakit po, Kuya," Pat asked.

The rider took off their helmet and slowly ripped off her mask.

And there she was --- her long, raven hair flowing to her shoulders and her dark Chinita eyes with a dead stare --- that so infuriating deadpan stare that had Pat's blood boiling--- her eyes, all right through Pat.

"Car trouble," Krystal said in her deep voice and her usual arrogant smirk.

"Ay gaga- pano mo nalaman dito ako nakatira," Pat uttered in shock.

"Good morning to you too, Patricia. FYI--- These subdivisions are owned by the Tanchingcos -- I have my ways," Krystal said nonchalantly as she curiously looked around.

Pat was hyperventilating as she tried to get her words together. She got out of her car to confront this heiress who had all the gall. Obviously, she had no rules.   She did not even think it was rude or creepy just to show up unwelcome in someone's house.

Pat was shocked,  yelling at Krystal as she spoke.

"This is not normal!!! So ganun lang yun papakita ka nalang sa bahay ko tapos ano? Intimidate mo na naman ako?!"

Krystal laughed and shook her head.

"Shhh... relax ka lang. I do not mean to be creepy.   Not my intention at all. Relax ka lang. I was actually messaging you if you were home... "

"Relax? Sira na nga kotse ko... tapos bigla ka magpapakita nalang ng ganyan sa bahay ko. Not to mention our last meeting was so bad. Paano kung pasalvage mo ako?

Krystal laughed even louder at the silliness of the tabloid reporter.

"You have a weird imagination. I am not that powerful. If I was, I would have stopped that article you wrote about me that had me ---- hashtag 'cancelled'."

Pat's mom, Sheila was running to her daughter with her Tupperware, she still had the beef mechado from last night. She wanted to make sure her daughter had a packed lunch.

"Patpat ko... nakalimutan mo baon mo," Sheila yelled until she was stopped in her tracks.   She knew who the familiar beauty was - she has seen her in Magandang Buhay and read her daughter's article.

"Ay anak.... hindi mo nasabi may bisita ka," Sheila said in shock.

Krystal extended her gloved hand as she introduced herself.

"Krystal Tanchingco po."

"Ako nga pala si Sheila Lumaban.  Mama ni Patpat --- mas maganda ka pala sa personal, hija",  Sheila smiled, a bit starstruck.

"Salamat po. Hindi naman saakin sinabi ni erm... Patpat na may Ate pala siya. "

"Ay etong batang 'to! Bolera!"
Sheila laughed shyly as she spoke.

This was a nightmare to Pat.

Pat was giving her a mom an enlarged death stare with her eyes.

"Tigilan mo yan," Pat mouthed to her Mom.

"Gusto ko pa sana ihatid si---- Patpat," Krystal exclaimed with a fake child-like smile on her face.

ANG KAPAL. Pat thought. She is nickname- basis?

"Ay sige... sira na kasi yung kotse niya. Sobrang luma na kasi. 2005 pa yan.  Sige please, para safe naman daughter ko at di titirik kotse niya," Sheila pleaded.

Krystal winked at Pat as she gave her a white helmet.

Pat reluctantly grabbed the helmet as she breathed heavily.

"Parte lang 'to ng truce. You still owe me after that article," Krystal whispered.

-——————

The ride to the office was awkward as Pat does not know how to hold on to Krystal.

This person was a mere stranger to her after all and Pat is not used to any kind of skinship with strangers.

She felt Krystal's tight grip grab hold on to her sweaty palms as she placed it on her toned torso and her muscled shoulders.

"Malambot na matigas... bakit ang toned... nagwoworkout... bakit mabango ---amoy baby shampoo," Pat thought to herself.

"Yaaaaaak —-Pat. Bakit ka kinakabahan," she asked herself, gulping.

"I need you to hold on tight, Patpat!!!" Krystal yelled into the harsh and arid breeze.

Krystal's Ducati was running what seemed like a hundred miles per hour as they dashed through the traffic.

Pat's hair was in such disarray once they reached the office. Buhaghag does not even cut it.

She was sweating. Her bra strap is out again. Her hair was sticking to her neck.

It was annoying.

She was annoyed because when Krystal took off her helmet, her hair perfectly flowed to her shoulders.   She had no makeup and somehow she looked more innocent, almost vulnerable without her dark eyeliner and fake lashes, Pat thought.

"Done staring?" Krystal asked as she squinted at Pat.

"Hindi ako tumitingin... confused lang ako ... ano ba to," Pat tersed back.

"This is the tabloid that you work at," Krystal motioned towards the Ortigas building.

-----

Pat did not know what was going on but she was being followed around by Krystal as they went to get a bunch of Starbucks espressos for her bosses.

People were recognizing Krystal even with her mask on.

"Ay si Krystal!" The barista exclaimed as they took selfies with the tall heiress, looking more intimidating with her black motorcycle jacket.

Krystal was now holding on to the cup holders with the orders from Earl and Lorna.

Pat looked at her suspiciously as they walked through the hallways.   Krystal was stoic and hardly any expression was crawling to her face. She was hard to read.

"Hindi ko alam kung tumutulong ka ba talaga o nanakot? Threat ba to?" Pat suddenly asked.

"Don't flatter yourself, Tabloid Reporter.   Think of it as a negotiation," Krystal responded dryly.

"Negotiation talaga?!"

"Hindi ako tanga, Tabloid Reporter. You can blackmail me with the video that you have."

Pat was offended at such suggestion.

"Wala akong balak .... hindi akong ganung klaseng tao..."

Krystal ignored her as she kept following her around.

Once they got to the office, it was the usual chaos in the Chikalogy news room.

Lorna was fuming mad that Pat did not have a scoop on Krystal Tanchingco.

"You thought she would have at least followed her. Ni wala nga siyang kuha doon sa box office awards," Lorna said fuming, as she smokes her cigarette in the airconditioned room.

"Ma'am may isa naman po siyang kuha," Earl was trying to defend Pat as everyone else was boisterous and loud.

But his mouth suddenly went agape with his tongue almost falling off as he realized who was in front of them.

"Hello po ---- andito na po yung kape," Pat stuttered, while Krystal stood next to her, slowly taking off her mask.

Lorna's cigarette fell from her mouth when they saw the Krystal Tanchingco was in front of the team. The beautiful socialite had a certain air of cocksureness about her.

The thing is - Krystal was built to intimidate, she bores to everyone's soul with her serious stare, she has a permanent scowl with her full lips, and her body moves with grand authority.

She moved like everyone was beneath her.   Glanced like everyone was something she had to grossly analyze.

"Miss Tanchingco, it is great for you to grace us with your presence," Lorna immediately said as she tried to shake hands with Krystal.

"Ms. Lorna Gomez, Editor in Chief and Founder of Chikalogy. Seventeen libel cases, three failed showbiz magazines... Article 358 of the Philippines Revised Penal Code has been called a few times. I wonder kung pwede ko hablahin yung Chikalogy tabloid sa sinulat ng tabloid reporter ninyo na si Patricia Lumaban," Krystal said with strength and arrogance in her voice.

Pat never really thought Krystal was intelligent being that everyone talks about how she was an Oxford dropout and she got her diplomas through buying it with her name.

But she was not kidding when she claimed she had a photographic memory.

Lorna was startled and scared while she watches Krystal walk around the office, her slender hand smoothing over each piece of furniture.

"I will strike a deal with Chikalogy and that is because I want to clear my name," Krystal exclaimed.

She did not miss a beat as she continued on. She was strutting around the office in her combat boots as she looked around with curiosity.

"Exclusive interview. One on one with me. Youtube video, I will do it for free --- as long as malilinis ko ang pangalan ko--- An exclusive press release .... At ikaw .... Ikaw ang magiinterview saakin," she said loudly as she lazily pointed at Pat.

"A---ako? Bakit ako?! I am not a press release bayaran. I am a writer. I do news. I am a showbiz journalist... Ma'am ... Sir," Pat had such a violent reaction to this, she had to slam the tray of coffee down.

"Press kami at may karapatan kami magsulat about public figures like you, Miss Tanchingco! Hindi ka dapat pumapasok dito like you own the place!" Pat was so defensive, her eyes were as big as saucers and she was turning beet red.

"You're right --- I do not own this place.   But Tanchingco Enterprises --- from our malls to our real estate to mga partners namin are your main sponsors.   What if umalis kami? Or worse -- my dad, Lucky sues you," Krystal said smiling like a furtive cat staring at her little mousey prey.

"Pat, wag mo na labanan. Ano ka ba. May point naman siya," Earl said nudging Pat.

Pat was frustrated. She knew she was in a losing game with Krystal.   The likes of her really would play all their dirty tricks.

"I just want a chance to clear my name. Hindi ba fair journalism ang kunin din ang panig ko," Krystal said extending her hand for a truce.

Earl and Lorna kept nudging Pat and with that, she exhaled -----she reluctantly shook Krystal's hand.

"Truce," Pat whispered.

"I think we need a proper introduction? My name is Krystal. Nice to meet you Patpat," Krystal smiled her Chinita eyes almost disappearing.

--————

Pat has been waiting for two hours for Krystal's wardrobe and makeup team to be done.

She was still pissed off.

She kept ranting to herself as she waited in the highest tower of the Fairmont hotel, this was the same place she bumped into the heiress and the starlet making out.

The suite felt like it was bigger than her house. Everything was black marble, Lladro figurines, Swarovski crystals, and modern, Avant-Garde furniture shaped like intertwining snakes. It was annoying to sit on.

It was annoying to look at.

The whole suite overlooked the south of the city and the whole hallway took up the 34th floor.

Pat was far from impressed. She sat there, her sweat already cold from waiting. She wore her usual casual gray tank top which she always modestly covered up with her gray cardigan. She impatiently tied her hair as she looked at the time.

"Ang cheap na ginagawa akong press release bayaran! Tapos eto pa pinapaantay ako.   This is not what I signed up for. Gumadruate pa ako tapos ito lang pala gagawin ko," she muttered.

"Dalawang oras na ako naghihintay!"

"Ready na po si Ma'am Krystal sa inyo," A petite woman, an assistant in a crisp all-black polo told Pat.

Pat slowly walked into the hotel bedroom lugging her Olympus camera and microphone around. In the room- it was cold, it was vast and there was pure chaos inside.

Krystal's makeup team and wardrobe team were all spritzing her with hairspray and contouring her face.

"Energy" by Drake was blaring loudly on the Alexa speaker.

Krystal was wearing a black bra top and ripped jeans which was a contrast to her full-face makeup.

Her body was toned, long, and towering. She had slight uneven tan lines from her random motorcycle trips and scars across her torso--- which was also etched with an odd tattoo of what seemed like a part of a map.

Krystal signaled for her staff to leave with a nod of her head.

" Manang,paki dala nalang yung puti," she whispered to one of her maids.

Pat stared at her and felt the sweat beads forming on her forehead, feeling her own awkwardness crawl in.   Krystal wore her white robe as she joked around lip-synching to another Drake song.  

She drank the strong Processco from the bottle like she was parched from thirst.   She looked intently at Pat as the reporter started setting up the camera. Pat did not know why she was nervous but Krystal seemingly studying her every move made her hands shake.

A knock on the door distracted them as one of Krystal's staff came in with a folded white shirt.

The heiress mouthed a thank you with a dry smile as she hurriedly wore the white shirt over her half naked body.

Pat was pressing the record button as Krystal looked more intently at the interviewer.

" Ok. Take One.  Interview with the Heiress - day one," Pat said dryly, looking at her notebooks filled with scribblings and questions she wants to ask Krystal.

Pat tried to break the ice with her usual interview questions but Krystal looked bored and was barely giving much to the typical setting.

But Pat was palaban.   She may look meek but what Krystal was doing was not going to intimidate her.

And by God, this was not going to be a press release interview.

"Krystal Mae Tanchingco, the controversial heiress... what brings you to Chikalogy? Bakit natin ginagawa ang interview na ito?" Pat asked in her taunting tone.

"You brought me into this. Let's just start by saying- I hate the press. I hate people like you," Krystal smirked.

Pat paced herself as she quickly had rebuttals for Krystal.

"Hate is a strong word.   Bakit? Hindi ba sasabihin nalang ng mga manunulat na public figure ka naman. You need us. You play with the media. You like the attention. Does it help your Tanchingco lines of business?"

"Wala ba kayo nakukuha saakin? Hindi ba mas mabenta pag ako ang subject ninyo?" Krystal asked, her eyebrows raising.

"So symbiotic nga ang relationship. Kailangan natin isa't isa."

Pat was not backing down.

"That has not been my choice, Miss Lumaban," Krystal raised her voice now.

"With your 9 million followers? I beg to disagree."

The tension was cutting through like a knife. Pat did not understand why this girl liked pushing her buttons.

She did not understand why umiinit ang ulo niya just talking to Krystal.

Krystal went blunt towards Pat as she spoke.

"I hate people like you kasi 9 years old palang ako, ako na ang nasa headline ninyo. "

"Ano?"

"Bawat blind item, bawat write up pinagkakakitaan ninyo ako since I was a child. Bawat picture. Bawat mali. Bawat chismis. I never even wanted to be a Tanchingco.   Tahimik lang sana ang buhay ko as a forgotten illegitimate child ni Lucky. Pero ang mga katulad mo ang bumulatlat sa buhay ko," Krystal said, fury seething in her lips.

Krystal had to blink hard, she knows she is mustering up not to cry.   Her eyes were glistening and she can feel her throat close up.

"So you mean to tell me - ok lang sa'yo to give up all this for a quiet life?" Pat asked, genuine curiosity crawling in.

"I am not going to play poor little rich girl. You act like what you do is ethical but what is ethical about destroying a child and pushing her to a world she never chose to be a part of? Anong pinagyayabang mong journalism degree? Tapos ka nga sa UP pero wala ka naman prinsipyo. You really took a job like this?" Krystal smirked but there was defensiveness in her tone.

"So sa tingin mo ba media lang ang nagsira sa'yo?"

Krystal sighed heavily as she gulped some air.

"I am not perfect. I do not plan to be. I am not normal. I never will be. But I want to take charge of my life even though there are mistakes along the way. At least the life is mine. Not my dad's. Not the Tanchingco businesses. Not the media. Hindi na ako yung batang yun. This time --- I take control of my life and yes, that includes my fuck-ups."

Krystal smiled - and it was a genuine smile that sprawled across her glossed lips.

Her eyes twinkled and for a while, she looked like a child and a certain warmth reached through her cheeks. It had been more than an hour of footage and Pat slowly turned off the camera.

The sound of the grandfather clock was now echoing through the quiet room.

"I think this is enough," Pat said as she hung her head suddenly conscious of Krystal's vulnerability.

"Ayaw mo na," Krystal replied back.

"Siguro naman pwede mo na ibalik yung sapatos at yung press badge ko?" Pat asked in a dry and serious tone.

"I do not know. Still do not trust you. I will decide after this video. Don't you know what the likes of me are capable of," Krystal shook her head as she blew smoke from black vape.

Pat hurriedly stuffed her camera in her old Jansport backpack, while she slowly stood up having enough of Krystal's games.

"Thank you po, Miss Tanchingco. This will probably be posted by this week," she said quietly.

Pat shuffled and slowly walked out of the big hotel suite.

She was headed to the elevator until she saw Krystal follow her out of the room.

"I know you are still going to blackmail me and I am watching you," Krystal said as her arms sprawled to block Pat's way into the elevator.

She was tall so she looked down on the petite Pat as she tried to intimidate her.   Krystal inched closer again, her breath still smelling a bit like the sweet wine, she stared intently at Pat trying to get her to look at her too.  

Pat noticed her eyes were lighter than the rest of her features and those same eyes were looking at her in dark rage.

Pat sighed in exhaustion as she looked up at the ceiling. She slowly got her phone out of her jean pocket and showed Krystal her album.

She grabbed Krystal's hand and had her finger press the delete button in her videos album.   It was the footage of Mia and Krystal kissing.

Krystal glanced as it was deleted.

"I know you hate us tabloid reporters but I actually have a moral compass. Kahit kailan wala akong balak magout ng tao.   You can accuse me of everything else but that I will never do that," Pat muttered almost looking like she was about to cry.

She breathed heavily as she talked some more.
"At alam ko marami ka pinagdaanan sa press but all I did was write a harmless article exposing some of your truths at nagbigay lang ako ng opinion . Can you please stop giving me a hard time.... Please, pagod na ako, Krystal," Pat retorted.

"And you can keep that stupid badge," Pat pushed Krystal away as she got into the elevator.

Krystal bit her lip as she was startled by what she just encountered.

"Dapat ba sinira ko phone niya," she asked herself.

-———

Pat was doing some post-production editing the video interview on her old laptop, she was rushing to submit it as she got pressure from her bosses.

She watches the clip of Krystal sitting on the white couch, a mix of vulnerability and fury written in her feline-like eyes as she mentioned how the press ruined her life as a kid.

The words were acerbic and anger was fueled by them.

Pat rewatched the clip over and over.

"Bawat blind item, bawat write up pinagkakakitaan ninyo ako since I was a child. Bawat picture. Bawat mali. Bawat chismis. I never even wanted to be a Tanchingco..."

" Tahimik lang sana ang buhay ko as a forgotten illegitimate child ni Lucky. Pero ang mga katulad mo ang bumulatlat sa buhay ko."

Right in front of Pat were articles of Krystal back in 2005. Even big newspapers like Philippine Star and the Inquirer talked about the illegitimate child of Lucky Tanchingco.   A photo of a young Krystal was sprawled all across the reports.   Some reports stated a bitter custody battle as it stated Krystal was taken away from her mother.

"Anak sa Labas ng mga Tanchingco Kinuha sa Ina," an Abante headline stated.

"Anak sa Labas ni Lucky Tanchingco Ang Gastos ng Debut," another tabloid read.

Slowly Pat snipped screen captures of the tabloids as she dragged it to her editing program, Splice.

"Sana truce na talaga ito,"she whispered.

Her phone suddenly buzzed and it was a message from a certain, Mikee.

This is the first girl she has been messaging with. Mikee is an attractive woman, she was smart, stylish, and worked as a graphic designer for Regal films.

Their conversations seemed to flow smoothly. Mikee was kind and funny. After around four days of messaging each other from the HowaboutWe App and Pat finally gave her phone number.

Mikee : So don't you want to meet up? May art exhibit na may masquerade theme sa Friday night. Baka lang trip mo?

Pat: Hindi ba too fast?

Mikee: Naguusap na tayo for the last four days. Friendly date lang naman. Sige na, astig kasi yung art exhibit. Invited kasi ako and I want to bring you as my date.

Pat: What time ulit sa Friday? Dapat ba may maskara akong dala? Kasi masquerade theme?

Mikee: Oo. Sige- game,game--- kita tayo!

Pat smiled as she replied to the message.
Kinikilig siya, she thought. 

This is the first time she was finally embracing parts of herself that she has been having a difficult time with.

She had never been with women but she knows she likes them. She adores them. She cannot wait to be with them.

It had been always complicated to explain to people that she likes both.

But this aspect of herself is a new territory she was finally stepping into. Finally unafraid to slowly get there.

Pat was finally in a good mood and she took a deep breath as she pressed,"SUBMIT" - the video is slowly uploading.

"An Interview with the Heiress - One on One with Krystal Tanchingco" was slowly going live.

Pat put on her headphones as she listened to Halsey and Marshmello's "Be Kind".   She knew she was going to turn around her horrible day.

Wanna believe, wanna believe

That you don't have a bad bone in your body

But the bruises on your ego make you go wild, wild, wild, yeah

Wanna believe, wanna believe

That even when you're stone-cold, you're sorry

Tell me why you gotta be so outta your mind, yeah

-———————-

In a late-night emergency meeting for a new Tanchingco mall, Krystal was barely paying attention as she stared blankly at the Zoom meeting with the Chinese investors.

She was there as Chief Marketing Officer but mostly was used as a display by her father.   She sat there quietly simply nodding her head.   She played with the buttons of her black pantsuit as she lazily stared at the bumper-to-bumper Manila traffic outside, slowly after the pandemic the world was getting back to normal.

She was, after all, a pandemic star--- maybe she can disappear after all this, she thought.

Her hand slowly felt the press badge of Pat Lumaban, she still kept it in her pocket. She still feels the girl can blackmail her.

She then suddenly got distracted with her text messages.

"Wow, your interview with Chikalogy was amazing," one text said.

"I think Krystal Tanchingco just got uncancelled. Para kang si Kris Aquino lagi lang nagiging relevant," another text said.

"KANCHING KANCHING NAIYAK AKO SA INTERVIEW MO," her favorite cousin said in her text.

"What the hell is going on?!"

"Sir --- something urgent is happening," she suddenly said to her dad who was in the middle of explaining the budget in the meeting.

Krystal quickly walked out of the board room and quickly got her Air pods. She pressed play on her video. And she saw her clips juxtaposed with tabloid articles, harsh interviews, and unfair play by the media.

It was 40 minutes long, in-depth, even with some of her childhood photos and her lashing at the media.

It was not completely a biased press release like she wanted it to be. But it was raw, it felt true, and for a while - it felt like the real sides of Krystal was shown to the world.

"Did Patricia portray me as ---- human?" She bit her lip in frustration and grabbed her hair to sweep it away from her tired face.

She was determined. She had to do something.

-—————

Krystal was still wearing her black suit when she boarded her Ducati motorcycle and in one loud rev, she started zooming out of the Tanchingco building.

I don't know why you hide from the one

And close your eyes to the one

Mess up and lie to the one that you love

When you know you can cry to the one

Always confide in the one

You can be kind to the one that you love

She sailed through the intense traffic and somehow found herself in Pat's Parañaque home.   The night sky was dark and everyone was slowly entering their homes to eat dinner.

The sari-sari store nearby still playing Ang Probinsyano loudly in the background, sometimes Krystal always wondered what like would have been like if she remained the invisible Tanchingco.

She lazily sat on her motorcycle as she leaned in, peering at Pat and her mom, Sheila eating fried fish and munggo for dinner---- and they were laughing loudly.

She stood there for almost thirty minutes pondering if she should even knock at the gate.

She looked at the ID badge wrapped around her knuckles.

Should she say sorry? Thank you?

Krystal sighed and revved her motorcycle again as she left the village.

—————

Jade Tanchingco was different from her cousin, Krystal. She simply walked away from the limelight as soon as she fell in love with her wedding coordinator, Althea Guevarra.

Jade was no stranger to controversy before Krystal became the poisonous and notorious heiress, it was Jade who got the brunt of the public and her family.

Jade is now married to Althea and she walked away from all the Tanchingco riches to be with her.

They now live in a simple apartment with Althea's son, Miggy.   Jade was the one the Tanchingos were mum about.   She was the grandma, Ama's favorite but for the rest - they would rather just see her in reunions and events.

It still took a while for the family to accept her and Althea.

Krystal or as she fondly calls her Kanching-Kanching was Jade's favorite cousin. Before Jade even fell in love with Althea, she knew her cousin was already gay. 

As far back as she can remember, Krystal never shied away from telling Jade she liked other girls.   But of course, Krystal knew better than to be the illegitimate daughter and also be the lesbian Blacksheep.

So she chose to hide from her family just like anything else she does.

When Krystal was in trouble or when she is having problems, the only family she really runs to is Jade and Althea.

So Jade was staring at Krystal who was in their small dining table, eating spoonfuls of Althea's adobo and pinakbet.

Jade raised her eyebrows as she watched her cousin engulf spoonfuls of rice with one bite, impatiently gulping all the iced water.   She knew the cousin was bothered.

She can read Krystal well.

"Krystal, bakit ka nandito--- malamang hindi dahil sa maalat na adobo ko. May problema ba," Althea suddenly butted in as she walked around her kitchen in her sando, sweating profusely as Jade wiped her with a face towel.

"Grabe naman 'to si Lablab, inunahan mo ako," Jade laughed. Althea tickled Jade on the side of her stomach as they joked around.

"Pwede ba ang gross.   Tama na muna ang PDA. May batang nanonood dito," Krystal said miffed.

"Hoy - hoy, wag kang bitter batang Krystal, ah. Sinabi naman saamin sa'yo ni Jade - please lang tigilan mo na mga showbiz starlets," Althea said flicking Krystal's head.

Krystal massaged her forehead as she looked at the two.

"It's not that. It's not Mia."

"Well---- is it the reporter? Si Patricia Lumaban?" Jade asked.

"Bakit ?! Type mo yung reporter?" Althea's eyes widened.

Krystal looked grossed out as she spoke.

"Pucha naman, hindi noh. Hindi ako mahilig sa oily ang mukha."

"Eh ano problema mo?" Althea asked.

"It's because she portrayed you as human? And now you realize how much of an asshole you were to her all this time," Jade said.

Krystal nodded her head.

"I just think - I have to do something. Kapalit so I do not owe her anything," she blurted out as she stuffed more Adobo in her mouth.

"Wala ba sa vocabulary mo yung simpleng--- sorry at thank you? Lahat ba sa'yo parang buy and sell? May negotiation," Althea pointed out as she scratched her head.

"Althea, sanay ako sa mga taong ganun. Reporter yan. Hindi ako titigil hanggang sa I really do her a favor," Krystal explained.

"You are overcomplicating things, Kanchingkanching--- what if she just wanted to portray you accurately," Jade sighed.

"I do not like owing people things, Jade."

But Krystal was determined.

She had to make the ultimate truce.

————

Something came through Pat's phone the next morning, while she was frantically brushing her teeth in her old pambahay clothes.

It was a GCash notification for P60,000.

"One on one Interview".

Pat's hand shook in disgust. Her nostrils were flaring as she dialed Krystal's number.

Krystal was back in her condo as she worked out in her Peloton.

She saw the caller ID "Tabloid Reporter" flashing on her phone.

She stopped her exercise and quickly hit answer, half panting as she smiled.

"Good morning,Patpat!" She exclaimed.

"Can you please stop calling me that kasi hindi tayo nickname basis.   At isa pa --- ano tong pinadala mong pera saakin?"

Pat sounded very angry over the phone.  Her voice shaking.

"Just as a thank you for doing your job," Krystal said casually.

Pat was offended as she went around the bathroom pacing herself.

"I did not do that as a bribe? I did that because reporter ako at yun ang slant ng interview!!"

Krystal scoffed.

"A simple thank you would suffice, Tabloid Reporter."

"Miss Tanchingco, bigyan mo naman ako ng integridad.   Alam ko hindi yun uso sa'yo kasi ewan ko ba parang lahat sa'yo negotiation e.   Hindi po ako katulad ng ibang showbiz reporter na nagpapayabad. Masisira ang pangalan ko sa ginagawa mo. I am not accepting your BRIBE."

Krystal chuckled at the sound of Pat's voice.

"I can feel your high blood pressure and the litid in your neck from here."

Pat wanted to throw her phone as she heard Krystal talk some more.

"Did you really just say ' the litid in my neck'. Napakaarte mo. Please. Do not do that again at pwede ba,lubayan mo na ako, please," Pat exclaimed.

"O Pat - ano ba yan ang aga-aga may kaaway ka sa telepono. Nagdadasal pa ako kay Mama Mary," her mom Sheila said as she tried to quiet her down.

"UGHHHHHH!" Pat just despised that Krystal Tanchingco.

—————

Krystal got out of the shower and walked around her condo with her damp hair and her wet body over her Mickey Mouse shirt.

She was growing impatient as she looked at her laptop, and slowly realized she was all over the news again.

Somehow her vulnerability in Pat Lumaban's interview made her liked by the fickle public again.

The Philippines tends to forgive their spoiled brats just like they did Kris Aquino and now Krystal Tanchingco.

As she browsed through other headlines, she sees her ex-one- night -stand, Mia Agosa just admit to the world that she is now dating her loveteam, Juancho Esguerra.

She sarcastically laughed while she rolled her eyes and clicked out of the news. She sadly munched on her Lucky Me! pancit canton, one of her comfort foods as she heaved an exasperated sigh.

She was feeling more isolated now that the world celebrated her again.

She looked at a black invitation in front of her. There it was a bold and imprinted font that says, "Benitez Art Exhibit: A Masquerade Experience. By Invitation Only"

She sucked her upper lip, contemplating if she should go to another shallow event she was expected to be in.

Underneath the invitation was the ID badge. Pat Lumaban's things were still with her, she realized.

She grabbed the badge and slowly stuffed it into her mini black purse.

-————-

Pat did not realize that Masquerade meant laced masks, sexy Christian Grey types of masks, and not witch horror masks that you buy for P80 in SM Southmall.

She came in awkwardly in her conservative black dress and her bruha witch mask with a matching wart on the nose.

"Oh wow. Shit, you took the dark theme seriously," Mikee said as she furrowed her eyebrows at Pat.

Mikee was cute in real life, even with her silk mask covering her eyes, and purple tux. She looked a bit like a young Chynna Ortaleza and had a cute smile on her face.

Pat gave her a thumbs-up as Mikee brought her into the art exhibit filled with modern Filipino paintings and sculptures. It was supposed to be a tribute to some of the classic Philippine movies.

Pat got excited as she instantly identified some of the tributes. She started talking to Mikee about Ishmael Bernal, Lino Brocka, and Mike de Leon.   She instantly identified the Batch 81 Art and the Jaguar art.

Mikee held her hand while she listened to Pat.

Pat smiled as her cold hands held back on to Mikee's.   She started talking again as she recognized the tribute to "Broken Marriage."

The selected crowd was gathering around as people drank orange punch and looked at their surroundings.   People were barely paying attention to the art as it was one of the post-pandemic events in the city.

Everyone was dancing and flirting with each other as if they finally got out of their cages.

Pat was awkward as she observed everyone and Mikee just stood by her.   Mikee knew so many people and was mingling with everyone.   She did not realize how Alta Mikee was, not really the type she wanted to date. They also barely have many conversations.

Mikee knew nothing about the films and seemed to treat the exhibit more like a dance party.

————
The crowd started parting as a guest came in, fully decked in high stilettos and a backless black jumper.

She wore a Phantom of the Opera mask, only half of her face covered up--- Krystal Tanchingco walked into the crowd like a magnet pulling everyone in.

Her red lips sprawled into a smile and the cameras all flashed in unison.

————-

Krystal felt her cheeks tensing up with all the photos she had to take for the society pages.

She was already exhausted from acting like she cared that much to pose with everyone. It was so plastik.   She hated it but being an heiress for the Tanchingcos was basically being a mascot for them.

She found her refuge in the alcohol bar, slowly drinking the neon orange punch.

"Krystal, I did not know you are going to be here," a voice exclaimed.

"Oh--- hi Mikee," Krystal said quietly as she continued to hide in the punch bar.

The two gave each other a quick hug.   Mikee used to work with Krystal for their design projects and they have hung out quite a few times.

"What brings you here," Krystal asked sipping into her punch.

"Hassle nga 'tol kasi nandito ako for a date," Mikee explained as she gulped a shot in front of Krystal.

"Oh - lagi ka naman may kadate,e!"

"Pero Krystal --shit, nakilala ko kasi sa app ito. Eto ang cute o," Mikee flashed her phone towards Krystal.

Krystal almost choked on her punch as she saw the face of Patricia Lumaban on the app.

What was she doing dating a lesbian? Her eyes widened as she did a double-take on Pat's photos.

"Pero sobrang hassle, she won't stop talking about these films and we have no chemistry at all. NONSTOP SIYA MAGSALITA OK," Mikee whispered to Krystal.

Mikee pointed at Pat - who was standing out in the crowd in her cheap, bruha witch mask. Her ill-fitted dress and flats.

"Is that a wart on her mask," Krystal chuckled like a child as she watched Pat from afar.

"Well, here is my dilemma -- my ex is here and I am hoping I can at least get one dance with her," Mikee said as a woman with long hair and a tube top kept waving at Mikee's direction.

"Ang asshole move naman nun. Even for me," Krystal whispered.

"It's just one dance. Mabait naman si Patricia," Mikee ran towards her date.  She gave Pat a drink and mouthed something to her.

Krystal still stared intently from afar as Pat nodded lightly and watched her own date dance with a different crowd.

The cringe was getting to Krystal as she saw how defeated Pat was, sitting on one of the benches as EDM was being blared loudly.

Soon the crowd grew quiet as a band went up the stage singing a slow song.

Alam mo ba na hindi kita magugustuhan

Kung pangit ang ugali mo

Kaya sinta sana ay huwag ka nang magtaka

Kung ba't napa-ibig sayo mmm

-—————

Pat wanted to cry.

Kamalasan niya pala does not just apply to men ...but also to women.   She probably should leave the party.

"Mukha naman kasi akong tanga sa witch mask na ito," she whispered to herself, slowly taking off her mask.

She turned around trying to find the nearest exit.

But to her surprise, in front of her was a familiar towering figure, her Chinita eyes stared at her, and even her baby shampoo scent was familiar to Pat at this point.

"Gusto ko yung mask mo, Tabloid Reporter," Krystal smiled lightly as she slowly winked at Pat.

"Ano ginagawa mo dito," Pat said annoyed. Although it was written all over her face that she was a bit relieved to see her familiar face.

"Trying to save you from embarrassment," Krystal smirked.

"Anong embarrassment?"

"Your date is dancing with someone else. Gagu yun si Mikee. You should make better first date choices," Krystal whispered into her ear.

A tingle went through Pat's neck when she felt Krystal's breath on her ear.

Krystal's eyes looked at her again as if studying her every feature and every mole on her face.

Pat was darting her eyes away.

"Nakakaconscious yung mga ganyang tingin mo ---Anoba," Pat exclaimed.

"So --ipahiya rin natin date mo. You will now dance with the most popular person in this event," Krystal whispered again as she smiled.

"Eh pareho tayong babae," Pat said startled.

"No one gives a fuck. Everyone's dancing. Sayaw lang naman. We can just dance like whatever, Tabloid Reporter," and with that, Krystal grabbed onto the belt of Pat's dress and she slowly pulled her waist towards her body.

Her strong grip holding tightly to Pat's curve in her waist. Pat instantly wore her mask as if embarrassed that she will be seen dancing.

Ikaw ay anghel na napadpad sa impyerno

Ako ang demonyong gagabay sa iyo

Pabalik sa langit

Habang tayo ay paakyat

Ako'y napa-ibig sayo

Krystal slowly intertwined her own fingers to Pat's fingers to lead her hand to her muscled back.

In this instance, Pat was thankful she had a mask on. She knew she was blushing. She felt the heat on her cheeks.

The skin-contacting Pat's fingers gave her a slight shiver on her toes and she suddenly felt the cold sweat on her neck.

Pat felt her blood rush again and her nerves are taking over, her heartbeat thudding with the beat.

They looked funny as the two danced with Pat's big witch mask.

Para bang pagbigla kang wala sa aking piling

Kung ikaw ang nagbibigay ng kulay sa king puso at damdamin

Ikaw ay prinsesa napadpad sa malayo

Ako ang alipin gagabay sa iyo

Pabalik sa palasyo

Habang tayo'y naglalakbay

Ako'y nahulog sayo

Pat was an awkward girl. She was not made for dances like this. Or Alta events like this.  Or a beautiful girl like Krystal saving her from embarrassment. Or Krystal's strong hand slowly crawling to the small of her waist.

The ugly witch with the wart never was someone the mysterious Phantom of the Opera danced with.

Krystal's skinny hands slowly went towards Pat's mask and she took off her witch mask.

Pat was sweating underneath it, her hair was in a mess, and her cheeks were flushed in pinkness.

She threw the mask to the ground and Pat was now worried.

"Ano balak nito. Mamanyakin niya ba ako," she was in her thoughts as she slightly covered her boobs.

"Pero gusto ko ba magpamanyak?"

She doubted Krystal can hear her as the music was so loud.

Krystal laughed carelessly as she inched closer, their faces mere inches away from each other.

Krystal's hot breath that smelled like mints was landing on her face.

"Shet. Gusto nya ba ako ikiss?? Pano ba to pipikit ko lang mata ko," Pat thought to herself.

Krystal cupped her chin and closer she went...

"Ay. Fuck. Dahan dahan —— hindi ko ata kaya magmomol in public," Pat was pacing herself as Krystal inched in...

totally missing her lips.

Krystal was now whispering into Pat's ear.

"Para patas na tayo... hindi na kita babayaran. I will help you with your dating life. So you won't end up with people like Mikee."

Pat's eyes widened in shock.

"Deal na tayo, Miss Tabloid Reporter. I saw you sa app. Let me help you."

With that, she twirled Pat into a swing and soon their bodies crashed together.

Pat was cross-eyed as their faces are so close together.

Krystal opened up something in her purse that was hanging across her body.

In it was Pat's PRESS badge.

She slowly put it around the shorter woman's neck.

"Friends? Please ayaw ko may utang na loob sa'yo. Fun pati ito. Let me help you date," Krystal whispered again as she smiled at Pat.

A genuine one, the same child-like one she saw flash once in a while during the interview.

"You are crazy. Seryoso ka ba," Pat asked more confused than ever.

Krystal giggled as she twirled her again.

"First lesson--- aayusin natin pagsayaw mo, Miss Lumaban. Ilang beses mo na kasi ako naapakan."

The two danced by the paintings of Manila Sa Kuko ng Liwanag tribute.

With the two breaking into laughter.

Pabalik sa palasyo

Habang tayo'y naglalakbay

Ako'y nahulog sayo

(Roll Credits. Demonyo playing in the credits. End of Episode 2)

Papayag ba si Pat sa deal ni Krystal?
Will it be so wise to work with Krystal Tanchingco?

What is Krystal's past?

Abangan!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 594 25
"Kakaiba ang tama ng sinag sa'yong kutis na kayumanggi, o sa'n ba 'ko dinadala?" banggit ko sa kaniya nang may tono. "Hindi ba't kanta 'yan?" tanong...
170K 9.2K 23
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
7.6M 214K 48
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
1M 18K 57
"Will you ever get to know the real me behind these walls?" Warning: SPG.