Lady by the Sea ━ Peter Parker

By justsav

❝I have ended wars singlehandedly, brought gods broken to their knees, dragged the very lights of heaven down... More

❝ LADY BY THE SEA ❞
GRAPHIC GALLERY
PROLOGUE
ACT I. CATEGORY FIVE

ONE. Woman In Charge

735 46 120
By justsav

ACT I. CATEGORY FIVE
ONE. Woman In Charge

TO DATE IN HISTORY, THERE AREN'T many kingdoms where women were in charge. Many historians chalk it back to the women in the past who "lacked the assertiveness to lead" or because women were only ever viewed as a vessel for new life. Where were the women who created empires and burned others down? Because Lindy Kersey knew that this couldn't possibly be it, after all, her grandmother did tell her how much of a little bitch Claudius, the Roman emperor, was and how many empires and rules ended because of temper tantrums. Hell, her grandmother even became a legend — of course, fucking Disney had to write Ursula out as a villain, but that's beside the point. Lindy often wonders what those stupid historians would think if they were to ever meet her mother, the queen of Salaria, or what the humans call Atlantis. Perhaps the fact that she's a woman ruling a kingdom would be more shocking than the fact that she's a being who's lived more than a thousand years. 

      But then again that way of thinking probably stemmed from the archaic teachings of the older sirens who were ready for Lindy's mother to crumble under the pressure of leadership. The ocean would never allow a coup to happen or an outsider to rule the waters. The rotten old bags could only pray that the next crowned ruler of Salaria would be one of Lindy's many brothers and not her older sister Mailis.

      Of course, there's only one thing that could be worse than Mailis becoming queen: if Lindy Kersey, resident human slash half-breed slash mutt was the ocean's candidate. She wouldn't be surprised if that decision brought the old-living sirens to a fast death because God forbid a human — she's like half — rule Salaria.

      But Lindy has no interest in the crown or politics unlike the rest of her siblings. She's content with sitting by the sidelines and doing her best as the dutiful daughter. Besides, there are a lot more she has to worry about besides ocean politics and what others in their kingdom had to say about her blood status such as the Trigonometry exam she had just failed today and how utterly sore her body was from patroling with Spider-Man — she wishes he gave himself a pseudonym to make it less embarrassing on her part — the night before.

      Unfortunately, both preparations for the make-up exam and nightly patrol were on pause. No matter how much most of their kingdom despise her existence there's no denying that she is a princess of Salaria with the iridescent blue scales that lightly brushed its way across her collarbones — a birthmark for the Royals. All of which meant that she was obligated to attend political meetings such as these.

      You know, on the off chance that her mother does die before she reaches the age of 5000.

      But lately, these meetings don't seem to drag on as long as they used to thanks to technology and her partner.

Buggy Boy:
I just chased down this guy who stole
the hotdog street!
Read 5:19 PM

Buggy Boy:
they gave me a street dog as a thank u lol
Read 5:19 PM

Seaweed Brain:
lol that sounds like fun
Read 5:19 PM

Seaweed Brain:
way better than this stupid meeting and I'm pretty
sure they're calling my mom stupid again
Read 5:20 PM

Buggy Boy:
wtf that sucks
Read 5:20 PM

Buggy Boy:
I'd fight them for you but I'm pretty sure
I'd drown and it's unfair if I make them fight
on land
Read 5:20 PM

Seaweed Brain:
wish I was patrolling with you
Read 5:21 PM

Buggy Boy:
it's okay you have your duties, your highness
Read 5:21 PM

Buggy Boy:
we're still on for tomorrow right?
Read 5:21 PM

Seaweed Brain:
yep!
Read 5:21 PM

       "As much as I know you loathe these meetings the least you could do is pretend that you are listening," whispered Taron from the side. Her trusty guard shook his head as he saw who she was texting before he sat straighter in his seat. "You're a princess of Salaria and you must attend to your duties."

      Lindy rolled her eyes at his nagging. "We literally talked about all of this in the last meeting. It's always the same, they complain about Mom and her lack of presence in the kingdom and her being an Avenger. Then they divert it to me and the others on not being trained or qualified enough for the crown. I'm not exactly missing much."

      Taron cleared his throat as he adjusted his coat. His face was still as expressionless as usual. "The Council is also not satisfied with your involvement. You are a princess, not a fighter."

      "Mother is a fighter and yet everyone praises her for defending our kingdom time after time all while looking down on her missions as an Avenger," Lindy pointed out before she shot a smug smile. It's a surprise the Council hasn't brought up their usual bickering that occurs in the meeting, but then again she has been deemed the problematic child with her unruliness. "I'm simply following her footsteps. Is it so wrong for me to look up to my queen?"

      "It is a problem when you have not been properly trained."

      "That's what I have weekends night with you for, Taron."

      "Do not make light of the current situation. Your nightly escapades have reduced the needed time for your training."

      "I fail to see how it's affected my progress."

      Before Taron could even reply, his mouth quickly closed as Mailis looked in their direction and spoke.

      "Princess Diona, do you have something you would like to say?" Lindy's older and prettier sister, Mailis asked. In many ways, Mailis resembled their mother with her elegance and poise. It was no wonder why Mailis has been considered one of the top beauties in the kingdom. And though Lindy loves her sister dearly, it does suck to continuously be compared to the perfect princess.

      Lindy slowly shook her head as she avoided the watchful gaze of the Council. She chose to focus her sight on her sister who sat right beside their mother. While the rest of her siblings were stoic, Aralia looked at her lovingly with a gentle smile and warm eyes. 

      "Nothing of importance," Lindy replied calmly, trying her best to repress her voice from shaking out of nerves.

      Kaerio, her second older brother, snorted from his seat but quickly composed himself once Mailis shot him a dirty glare. The prince cleared his throat and placed his hands on his desk as he leaned forward. "Surely as an Avenger, you must have something to add?" Kaerio prodded, the tone of his voice making her want to throttle him. "After all, your precious time has been taken up by your 'Avenger' duties."

      "I am not an Avenger," Lindy gritted through her teeth. Her lips cramped from her forced smile as she tried to hide her shaking fists from below her desk. She knew showing her anger would only worsen the situation. "I'm simply doing my duty in the place that I live by protecting the civilians there. That is all. I am half-human, after all, and I believe it is my responsibility to protect my human."

      "And by doing so you have been neglecting your duties as princess of Salaria," Kaerio retorted. "Or is Salaria not home for you?"

      Lindy opened her mouth, ready to protest, but before she could her mother rose her hand and stopped both children from continuing.

      Aralia sighed as she lowered her hand before shaking her head in disappointment. "Must every meeting come to such a point?" Aralia asked tiredly as she leaned back in her throne. "Kaerio, your sister is doing training separate from your own. We must not question your sister's dedication and efforts for this kingdom.

      "And Diona, I do expect you to resist your device during such important meetings," Aralia said making Lindy sheepishly sink into her seat. She could see Taron resisting the urge to roll his eyes at her action. "While I understand Tony created it so you could communicate with your partner, I do hope you make as much time for your responsibilities here as you do in New York."

      "Yes your Majesty," the two children said quietly.

      "Diona you may leave this meeting and attend to your patrol," Aralia mused. She grinned as her youngest child perked up from her words and a smile graced Lindy's cherub face. "However you are requested to attend the next expedition with Mailis and Murron next full moon. And I hope that your training with Taron is going well. I expect your participation in the next Council meeting."

      "Of course, whatever you say!" Lindy exclaimed excitedly as she rose from her throne. She bowed her head at her mother who giggled all while catching the crown that nearly fell off her head. "Thank you, thank you!"

      She excitedly waved goodbye to her siblings and the Council members — the latter looking ready to protest her mother's decision. And her trusty guard — and unofficial manny — looked though the queen had declared war, only for Taron, it meant being on standby if Lindy needed him and making sure the princess didn't die during patrol.

      "Tell Spider-Man I send him warm greetings," Aralia called out as her youngest daughter raced out of the palace's conference hall. "And make sure you get back at a reasonable time! You have school tomorrow!"

      The rest of her mother's words fell on empty ears as Lindy raced down the corridors of her second home. Apologies spew out of her mouths as she dodged the palace's staff who were tending to their jobs. But nothing could stop the young princess from reaching her destination point as she whipped out her custom-made device to message her partner.

Seaweed Brain:
change of plan, heading your way
Read 5:31 PM

Buggy Boy:
wait what????
Read 5:32 PM

Buggy Boy:
what about the meeting?
Read 5:32 PM

Buggy Boy:
if you're scared that I'm gonna get
beat up again by middle schoolers
let me just say for the record that I let
them win okay
Read 5:33 PM

Seaweed Brain:
nah just missing patrolling with you
Read 5:33 PM

Buggy Boy:
oh
Read 5:34 PM

Seaweed Brain:
you better not be swinging and texting
because that's irresponsible
Read 5:34 PM

Buggy Boy:
don't worry I'm not
Read 5:34 PM

Buggy Boy:
where should I meet you?
Read 5:34 PM

Seaweed Brain:
east river
Read 5:35 PM

Seaweed Brain:
see you in a few! :)
Read 5:35 PM

Buggy Boy:
get here safely
Read 5:37 PM

Seaweed Brain:
always
Read 5:37 PM

FOR AS LONG AS LINDY COULD remember, she avoided the water as much as possible. Though it proved difficult being the daughter of a siren, she always refused to step foot unless it was for her royal obligations. Unlike most children, she didn't fear drowning due to her ability to breathe underwater. And while kids her age were always fascinated with the idea of mermaids and gushed over the excitement at the possibility of them existing, little Lindy knew well enough. Everyone else in her Kindergarten class has the opportunity to fantasize about mermaids and wizards and all that jazz, but for Lindy, it was her reality. But being in the water meant responsibilities and for a young girl who spent half her time in upstate New York, it was intimidating.

      She remembers the first time she realized she could breathe underwater. Her mother carried her in her arms before taking her step-by-step. Lindy remembers the panic that went up to her throat as she repeatedly thrashed in her mother's arms. Her screams filled the air as Taron stood on shore watching. And for a young girl who had just taken swimming lessons with her father and taught to hold her breath, she was terrified. Head underwater Lindy held her breath for as long as she could as she tried to free herself from her mother's hold. All that went through her mind was I'm going to die as she made eye contact with her mother through murky waters.

      But then Lindy took her first breath. She was able to breathe.

      "You are okay my little one," was what Aralia said as she held a sobbing Lindy in her arms. With Lindy's face against her neck, her mother would coo and calm her hiccuping daughter who still shook with fear. "This is your second home. You are safe. The ocean will always protect you."

      The whole explanation of Lindy's identity was confusing for a four-year-old girl who couldn't distinguish reality from fantasy. Like 'Oh, your daddy is human-like those princes in your storybooks, and mommy is like a mermaid' and 'This is a big secret, you can't tell anyone. Especially daddy.' So much pressure and responsibility settled on her little shoulders. Of course, for the first few years, she didn't mind it, after all, what little girl would complain over being a princess? However, that meant being integrated into Salarian society where she was expected to fit a certain mold of what the people expected her to be like.

      Lindy was six-years-old when she met her older siblings for the first time. After being an only child for so long, knowing that they existed was intimidating. Mailis looked very much like the princesses from those movies she used to watch with her shiny, long hair that tumbled past her shoulders. Her older brothers looked regal as they sat on their thrones. Murron looked the least surprised or off-put by her appearance. In some ways, he looked indifferent, like she wasn't anything special. Kaerio, on the other hand, reacted differently. With a clenched jaw, he stared at her, almost as if her existence bothered him. And lastly, there was Orion who smiled brightly as he jumped out of his seat to crouch in front of her. She remembers him holding her hand gently as he introduced himself to her.

      It didn't take long until Lindy learned what was expected of her as a royal. Watching Mailis and Murron battle with spears, Kaerio manipulating the water around him effortlessly, and Orion with his hand-to-hand combat, all of it reminded her that they had all surpassed Salaria's expectations of them. Now, it was her turn to do the same.

      However, water is becoming less and less of something to worry over. After all, her partner never fails to remind her how special her gift is. It was difficult to loathe who you are when the person next to you excitedly rushes out how amazing you are.

      As Lindy surfaced she was met with an extended hand. The young princess grinned as she accepted his help out of the water and within a few seconds she soaked all the water out of her clothes and back into the river, almost like she had never been in the water.

      "Eleven minutes. You're getting slower and slower each time," Spider-Man joked as he looked around for any strangers to walk in as Lindy pulled her mask up to her nose. "Aren't you supposed to be faster with your water magic?"

      "Ha ha," Lindy mocked back as she quickly tied her hair into a ponytail. "For your information, today's usual royal pain meeting took place in the Arctic Ocean. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get maimed in the next one."

      "You're a princess, there's no way they're allowed to do that," her partner retorted as he directed his web-slinger towards under the bridge. Lindy snorted as he offered his hand out towards her, but accepted it as he pulled her close and held her by the waist. "Isn't it illegal to kill a princess?"

      Lindy braced herself as he swung them from the sidewalk and towards the bridge. With her free hand, she quickly used the water below to create pillars for him to swing them across the river to the other side. Though she hadn't gotten better with her fear of heights, she still despised the fact that most of their patrolling required them to be on top of high buildings.

      Luckily for her, her partner has yet to drop her.

      "Well, I am a half-breed so I don't think they'd miss my presence too much," Lindy grumbled bitterly, wincing as the sharp made contact with her face. "Kaerio kept bringing up patrolling. Said that I'm being distracted and I'm not tending to my responsibilities."

      "No offense, but your brother sounds like a douche," Spider-Man commented as he landed them on the top of a residential building. He released her waist and waited as she stabilized her balance. "Why don't you just ditch the next meeting?"

      "Because I was unfortunately born into a royal family that cares far too much over its underwater politics," Lindy sighed. She gave him a sad smile even though he wasn't able to see it. But he knows her better than anyone at this point which meant he knew her emotions inside and out. "I just wish I could get out of it you know? All of it. No more being compared to Mailis. No more talks of me being queen. No more of my brothers hating my existence. At least, I think they hate me."

      Spider-Man shook his head as he took a step closer with a hand reaching out. But it was as if something had quickly taken over him as he lowered his hand. Several moments like these made her frown, wondering why each time he'd always stop himself from getting close.

      "You're impossible to hate," he tells her.

      "Give it more time, you haven't gotten used to me yet, Buggy," Lindy muttered. 

      She could understand why she was the black sheep out of her siblings. After all, her sister and brothers have spent more than hundreds of years together. What is her 15 years' worth compared to their centuries? Lindy was nothing like them. Though they all shared the same mother, they were raised differently. All of them, except for Mailis and Murron, had different fathers. But unlike them, Lindy's father is human, and somehow that detail changes everything.

      Because she will not age like them. She will die before they ever do. Her heart is frail compared to theirs that seem to beat alongside the waves of the ocean. Perhaps that is why they grew up to be warriors while she was shrouded by their mother's protectiveness. Not because she isn't ready or unfit to be a hero, but because she will never be able to reach where they were.

      "In a few months, when we're finally Avengers, we can leave all of it," he said confidently. The excited tone of her voice made her soften. "Think about it! We could travel and save the world. Do what we do best! You'll never have to go back, you can just stay here."

      "You have a ridiculous amount of confidence in me," Lindy huffed out with a laugh, throwing her head back before wrapping her arms around her body. "But thank you. I just wish they thought the same thing. I mean, I'm not an insanely good fighter like Mailis or Kaerio, but I'm something."

      "You're an Avenger! I've seen you manipulate waters in ways no one would think is possible! And you're like the coolest girl I know. I don't get why they don't see that."

      Lindy's thankful that her mask concealed her flushed cheeks. "The coolest girl you know? Really?"

      "I — I mean, yeah," he stammered as he turned his back towards her. "B-Besides, you're an awesome fighter. Last week you took down this mugger so easily! I mean you went like whoosh with the water from the broken fire hydrant and then you hit him in the side like bam! Of course, I think you're cool."

      She couldn't help but smile at his words and over-animated gestures. Their future as heroes was uncertain as no guarantee was ever given to them that they would officially become Avengers. And for Lindy who has no idea what life in Salaria awaits her, she knew that she wouldn't trade the glamorous palace or lifestyle for her partner.

      "Partner? Don't forget Bug, you're just my mere sidekick," Lindy teased as she walked by him, purposely bumping into his shoulder. "We all know who the real muscle is. Or did you forget who saved you from those middle schoolers?"

      She reached the edge of the building and opened the pouches of water strapped to her thighs. Large pools of water circle over her head as her hands moved it out of the pouches. With a warm smile, she nodded her head in the opposite direction.

      Spider-Man crossed his arms across his chest as he stared at the water in fascination. Though they've been partners for over two months now, he still hadn't gotten used to her abilities. "It's my turn to lead, right? Because we followed your route last night and the night before and the night before that and — "

      "As long as I don't have to spend the entire night in your arms," Lindy snorted. "I know you're capable of whisking me around New York all night, but I can handle myself you know. And just in case you are actually a 30-year-old man underneath the mask."

      "I'm not 30!" Spider-Man squeaked out in protest. He cleared his throat as she raised an eyebrow in question. He quickly walked towards where she was and stood behind, pretending to scout the neighborhood they should patrol first. "And I know you can handle yourself. But . . . we're partners, you know? Supposed to watch your back and all that."

      "I know that," Lindy's voice softened. She stepped right in front of him and though she know he probably wasn't looking her in the eyes, she was looking into his. "You have my back, I have yours. That's how it's always been. And by the way, I don't actually think you're 30. I know you can't tell me how old you are, but I'm just going to guess you're 28 or 29."

      "I wish I could tell you," he whispered before he lowered his head, almost ashamed of himself. "It's just — "

      "Complicated. I know," Lindy assured. She moved the water right back into the pouches before closing them shut. She moved aside and stood next to him instead, hoping she hadn't broken any boundaries between them. "I understand. You have something to protect."

      "It's not that I don't trust you," he rushed out. "I do. It's just . . . a lot is going on right now. But when I figure it all out I'll tell you. I swear."

      Lindy frowned as she looked over at him. "You don't have to promise me. If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to. Just because you know who I am doesn't mean I need to know who you are. I trust you."

      "No, no, I want to tell you. Now's not the right time," Spider-Man breathed out. "But one day, I will. And for the record, I'm . . . Can't say how old I actually am, but I'm a lot younger than 28 or 29."

      She laughed as she took a step forward, now standing on the ledge. With one arm opened, she motioned for him to follow. "C'mon, big baby, you can take the lead. For the sake of your pride, I'm willing to let you throw me around the city. But I swear if you try scaling us on one of those tall ass tech company buildings I'm going to drown you."

      "Are you sure?"

      "Of course. I trust you."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Chapter one is finally out! I don't know what's going on with me and my writing, but it's not working out as well as I'd like. Though I'm ridiculously proud of my introduction!

We get a glimpse of Lindy and Spidey's partnership and I'm so in love with them and their bickering. I adore them.

And thank you all so much for the love you've shown in the summary and prologue, it truly means the world to me.

A big, big thank you to my moots who read it as well! I look up to each and every one of you so seeing you all read it makes me truly happy.

Much Love Guys.

written: December 4, 2021
published: December 4, 2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8K 1.1K 48
Natasha thought that they were in the clear; free to live as they pleased. Then Shield did some digging into Peter's past that turned her world upsid...
18.3K 632 49
She never thought she would ever meet anyone as egotistical as her brother, but boy was she wrong. She never wanted to be in the lime light like Tony...
24.9K 611 12
❝How does it feel?❞ I ask. ❝Excuse me?❞ ❝How does it feel to wake up seventy years after the war?❞ I correct. ❝Lots have changed, of course. This...
9.2K 282 49
It makes her sick, the way sadness is addicting. Sadness is familiar. It's comfortable and it's easy in the sense that it comes naturally to her. But...