Gwaedh [Legolas Love Story]...

By MoonStoneAndStars

Elarinya, a woman with an elvish name, was one of the many terribly affected by the War of the Ring. Even tho... More

Author's Notes
Special Thanks
Prologue
I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII.
IX.
X.
XI.
XII.
XIII.
XIV.
XV.
XVII.
XVIII.
XIX.
XX.
XXI.
XXII.
XXIII.
XXIV.
XXV.
XXVI.
XXVII.
XXVIII.
XXIX.
XXX.
XXXI.
XXXII.
XXXIII.
XXXIV.
XXXV.
Epilogue

XVI.

1.9K 60 17
By MoonStoneAndStars

Elarinya's wound heals, Faramir's men arrive, Aragorn prepares his men and soon they set to Rivendell. With good mounts provided by Éomer, they intend to reach Rivendell in two weeks. They take six days following the Great West Road from Minas Tirith to the Gap of Rohan. Once it is passed, another three are necessary to ride the Old South Road until Tharbad, and then another six days to follow the river Mitheithel until Rivendell. 

These fifteen days pass by quickly, with the cold weather making the men haste, and not losing much time taking down the few orcs that come by. It is the last night before they reach the area of the elven city, and they take shelter from the cold snow on a cave. Elarinya sits on the far end of the cave, trying to warm herself on her cape, while the hobbits and most men are asleep. 

Legolas gets closer and sits by her side "You are anxious." 

"I am," she nods "There will be a lot of convincing tomorrow, the years have turned some of them very reluctant and greedy." 

Legolas thinks for a while then states wisely "Over the centuries, I've learnt that there is something that humans value with all their being, and perhaps is the reason why your kind always craves so much power," Elarinya looks at him curiously "Freedom and safety. Though there is a fine line that separates protection from power, a line that not all men are able to comprehend. It's what turns them villains, and what eventually kills them," he smiles at her "Unlike them, it is clear you do not seek power." 

"No," she shakes her head "Just safety. And a possibility to give a nice future to my sister." 

"And you? What do you wish for yours?" 

She thinks for a while and smiles "A house near the woods, a river nearby. Just some peace and quiet, some adventure here and there but nothing desperate for survival, just-" she ponders on how to follow "-just live, you know? Enjoy the rest of my years. Read all the books I can. Perhaps it is dreaming too much, but I would like to have the biggest library in the land. And sell, trade and copy as many books as I could until my very last breath," he looks at her with a kind but odd expression, and Elarinya, feeling slightly embarassed, tries to lighten the mood between them "Though all I wish for right now is to be a little less cold." 

Legolas takes his cloak of his shoulders and places it on her back, covering her arms "Sleep now, Ela. It will keep you warm." 

It smells of old wood and forest trees, and his words must enchant her as she closes her eyes and is asleep shortly after. Legolas stares at her for a while, until her body leans in and her head rests over his shoulder. He stays and his own eyes close. 

Aragorn and Gimli return after smoking their pipes, and Gimli pulls the sleeve of the king "Ah lad, look."

They stare at the two of them sleeping calmly, Legola's head resting over hers. Aragorn asks quietly "How long has this been going on?" 

"They got along right on the first journey, but never this close." 

"Arwen thinks there is something too. But he never spoke anything about it." 

"Neither to me."

"Do you think he..."

Aragorn never finds the courage to finish the question, not pronouncing the verb, but Gimli gets it. His voice is just a whisper, secretive and dark "After Erebor, some of the dwarves told that the red haired she-elf who loved Kili had broken his heart." 

"He loved her?" Aragorn asks, shocked.

"He threatened his father for her, it's the reason he left." 

Aragorn thinks for a moment "When I met him, he was much different from how he is now. He was bitter and harsh and... broken."

Gimli sighs "Let's get some rest before tomorrow. Whatever this is, it's theirs to figure it out."

The water falls on a small lake that continues in a vigorous river. A teenage boy, trying to catch fish on the lake, points his spear as he sees the guards approach. Elarinya steps forward "It's alright Fenmod, they are here to help."

"Elarinya!" the boy seems impressed, his eyes sparkle "We're leaving?"

She nods with a smile "We just have to convince everyone. Since you are on guard duty, are some of us allowed to come in?" 

"Of course."

She nods for Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, the hobbits and the men Faramir sent to follow her. Elarinya goes around the lake and behind the waterfall that hides a narrow entrance. As soon as they enter, they can hear voices and the path is lightened with torches. The cave is very wide and deep, almost like a small village, and people start whispering as they walk by. Elarinya greets them along the way, but her eyes search everywhere.

Then a sweet voice rises and the cave echoes "Ela!"

A beautiful young woman wearing a brown dress runs towards them and jumps to Elarinya's arms, holding her neck tightly. Elarinya returns the embrace, holding her above the ground "I'm here, Athelas." 

The younger woman holds and caresses her face as Elarinya puts her down "By the Valar, what took you so long? I thought the orcs had gotten you. You cannot leave like this again, it pains my heart."

She smiles "I know. I won't leave ever again," she holds her hands, steps back and turns around to her friends. Faramir's three men are already greeting some older women and men. Elarinya speaks, holding her sister's hand "Athelas, these are King Aragorn of Gondor, Prince Legolas of the Woodland Realm, Lord Gimli of the Glittering Caves and the Master Hobbits Merry and Pippin from the Shire, saviours of Middle Earth. They have come to help us return to Gondor."

Athelas looks at her surprised, her eyes wide "Really?" Elarinya nods with a smile and Athelas bows "My lords, I- I do not have the words. Thank you. Anything we can give..."

"No, lady Athelas," Aragorn speaks "You are people of Gondor that were unjustly forced to leave. Many years have passed, and I am the one who owes you the chance of returning to a safe home."

Athelas grins and then turns serious at her sister "It will take some efforts convincing them, sister." 

"I know. But I didn't come all this way to get a no for an answer. Go pack your things, Athelas." 

Athelas smiles excitedly, bows to the lords once again, hugs Elarinya and kisses her on the cheek. Even in the dark of the cave, Elarinya eyes shine as she looks to her friends and whispers an heartfelt "Thank you."

They spend the next hours convincing the tired people. Elarinya is quite persuasive and vows on their protection, while Aragorn is a great diplomat and plants hope among everyone. 

"Why should we go and trust them?" one of the last unconvinced women speaks "How do we know we won't be exploited?"

"King Aragorn is not like Denethor, Inge. We won't be treated as traitors there, the king offers us a safe place. We have been hiding in forsaken places for far too long, jumping from cave to cave without any idea of when will we be persecuted again. The king of Gondor is giving us a chance, Inge, to live instead of just surviving. Is this what your husband would have wanted for you, for your daughter?"

"My husband died, because the likes of him," the woman throws an agressive gaze at Legolas "Could not protect their own land." 

"It would have been a massacre had Thranduil not intervened!" Elarinya speaks loudly and assertively "I lost my parents too, but I have never quit from trying to give you a new chance! Our homes were destroyed and you wish to live here? Keep hiding forever? Fourty men of Gondor came here with me, men you knew in the past have come to rescue you," she points towards Faramir's men "To protect all of us and give us a second chance at life, and you refuse it? Over what? A petty steward's actions? Denethor has been dead for years, and still here you stand, playing the poor victims! Rise, for once! Fight back, take back what you've lost! I'm done hiding, I'm done trying to survive when there is an opportunity to live! And if you want to stay here, then stay and rot, let your flesh be consumed by resentment and hatred and greed, and watch as the dreams in your daughter's eyes are crushed." 

"Mother," Inge's teenage daughter holds her hand "Elarinya is right. I miss singing and dancing and I am tired of these nightmares and of being scared everyday. Please mother, let us return to the place you were born." 

The woman sighs and after a while nods. Elarinya's face is still impassive "Pack your belongings, we leave as soon as we can." 

Elarinya turns her back and walks towards her sister with determination as her friends look at her in amazement. Everyone around them rushes to get their few belongings packed, and Aragorn and Legolas help them carry everything outside. The hobbits help the children. 

Gimli stops by Elarinya's side "Do you know what you looked like, lassie?" Elarinya shakes her head and Gimli smiles proudly, hitting her shoulder "Like a fierce queen." 

They finally step outside and Elarinya mounts her horse with her sister. They ride south and leave the shadows behind. 

_______

I hope you're enjoying this ride! Don't forget to vote and comment your favorite parts!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 14.1K 47
" As wild as the Rangers of the North, as brutal as the Orcs, and as beautiful as the Elves." Evelyn is known as many things: a warrior, a...
26.3K 537 25
Y/N Y/L/N is an 19 year old outgoing , funny , smart , pretty girl. She of course loves the lord of the rings and the hobbit movies and books thanks...
63.8K 1.7K 31
Sequel to my book 'Child of Sky'. (Though if you don't care about the back story, this can be read separately.) Therith is getting caught up in anoth...
67.9K 1.9K 33
Story Rankings as of 9/11/2022 #36 elf out of 9.2k stories #22 aragorn out of 1.7k stories #7 theonering out of 87 stories Raewyn has a special backg...