The Cost of Love

De seaofgold

"I used to always talk about escaping this place. Always thinking about it, always dreaming about it. I would... Mai multe

The Cost of Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 10

835 29 10
De seaofgold

Double digits, yay! 

Chapter 10

Song of the chapter is "Sink or Swim" by Lewis Watson--- enjoy! 

Connor POV

         "My sources tell me that you two were expressing forms of provocative touching, and violated our   public displays of affection rule, am I right?" 

 I cross my arms, and narrow my eyes at the school principal. Mr... Something. I don't know his name. 

          "Mr. Hannigan." That's it. "We didn't mean for--" 

The dick principal cut her off. "Kiara, you made a scene in front of the entire cafeteria, I don't see much room for excuses." And what a scene it was. I actually think I'm still hard. I moved around in the wooden chair, trying to fix my 'problem' as best I could. Yep, definitely still hard. 

          Mr. Hannigan turns to face me. "And you, Mr. Kane? This isn't a very good first impression, I'm afraid." I must suck at first impressions then. Mr. Hannigan clasped his hands in front of him, and rested them on his desk. How the hell do we get out of this? 

"She had something stuck in her teeth. I could never let her be embarrassed in public." I shook my head in disbelief, like the thought of being humiliated was unheard of. Kiara lets out a cackle, then slaps her hand to her mouth to suppress the giggles. I was on the verge of smiling myself. I couldn't look at her, or I would for sure. 

 Mr. Hannigan, however, wasn't as impressed. "So you thought you would get the food out of her teeth." I nodded. "With your mouth." 

"Wouldn't you?" I ask. His eyes widen and he opens his mouth to speak. 

       "Of course not!" Kiara tilts her head to one side, making her look more innocent than she already is. "I mean, not that you're not a pretty girl! You are, but... I mean... It's completely impractical for a student and teacher..." I was about to burst into laughter. This guy's digging his own grave, here! 

After his painful stuttering, he sighs and rubs his temples with his fingers. "You may go," he says simply and points to the door. 

*************************

 "So, let me get this straight. You two were making out, very intensely may I add, in the cafeteria. And you only get charged with a warning?!" Adrian shouted as we walked across the school courtyard. School was finally over, and I was trying to look for Kiara. Adrian and I have our last period class together, so he usually walks out with me. I don't know why. 

          "I guess every new student gets one warning." Or I just humiliated the principal. Same thing, really. I still can't believe I talked back to that guy. If I gave Saxton so much as a raised eyebrow... 

Stop, Connor. I shook my head. I can't keep thinking about Saxton or the plan until I'm alone, or I'll keep feeling like a dick. 

          Adrian winks at a couple girls walking beside us. I narrow my eyes questioningly. Doesn't he have some slutty girlfriend? At the description Kiara's told me, his girlfriend doesn't seem like the type to let him flirt with other girls.  

"What?" He shrugs. "I gotta keep up the reputation."

           "Which is?"

"The friendly, flirty, son of the Beta, Adrian Jackson." I scoff out a laugh, and I notice his hands clench. Oh you don't like to be challenged, Beta? He stuffs his hands in his pockets and I try not to punch him. "Hey, this is high school. Everyone's got a reputation. Even you." 

       "Oh yeah? Enlighten me." 

Adrian wavesi to a few more girls, then turns back to face me. "You're the dangerous, former rogue, bad-boy-turned-good, Connor Kane." I raise an eyebrow again, but say nothing. "How's that for a reputation?" 

           "Sounds predictable. But not everyone sees me like that," I say, and it was his turn to scoff. 

          "Dude, look at you. You practicaly scream danger to everyone you meet." I cross my arms. 

          "Not Kiara." 

Adrian stops in his tracks, stunned. I smirk, knowing I've hit a sore spot. That fucker likes Kiara, no matter how much she tries to deny it. He lowers his voice, and I notice his eyes go darker.

          "If you ever hurt her, I'll destroy you, Connor." My guard goes up at his threat. My fingers twitch as I fight the urge to knock him unconcious. 

          "And if you ever make a move on her that crosses the friendship line, I'll rip you apart," I all but growl. 

He struts up to me, getting in my face. "Look," he says between gritted teeth, "You may be her mate, but I'm her best friend. I care about her more than I care about anyone. And you're sketchy as fuck, Connor. So don't think for a second that I'm not watching you." 

We stare at each other, unmoving, for about a minute. My eyes are narrowed, and my stance is ready to fight. If he says one more word about her, I swear I'll beat the shit out of him. 

          "Woah, what's with the male show-down?" I feel Kiara's hand envelope mine, and I squeeze it tightly.  

Adrian gives her a smile. "Nothing. I was just telling Connor that this is a small town. There are no secrets here. Not ones that you can keep for long, anyway." He looks at me as he says it, and It was like  his words had a double meaning, only meant for me to understand. But the message was crystal clear. It said, 'Don't screw up. Because I'll know.' 

He walks away with his hands still in his pockets, girls surrounding him as he moved. "That was weird," Kiara says, crinkling her nose in confusion. 

I clench my other fist, not even bothered by the hair hanging in my eyes. I was so fucking sick of people 'watching' me. First Nick and Saxton, then the Alpha, and now Adrian. Am I really that untrustworthy? I inwardly cringe. Don't answer that. 

          "Connor?" Kiara sounds genuinely concerned, and I feel like I'm going to be sick. It shouldn't be this hard. Lying to her shouldn't be this hard. "Are you okay?" 

            "Yes." No. 

She gives me a look that said she wasn't buying it. 

        "I mean... I'm just a little stressed." I'm going to have to kill you, and there's nothing I can do about it. 

She raises herself on her toes and her lips barely graze my jaw. I can't help but smirk; I'm too tall for her.   

  "Adrian's just protective. As is my dad. They'll warm up to you eventually," She says and smiles innocently. She lifts a hand to her forehead, shielding her grey eyes from the sun. "I think Chase is picking us up today. It's way too hot to walk." 

Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I nod swiftly. She leads me to a shiny black Escalade, saying hello to every single person who addresses her. I chuckle under my breath; She thinks she's unqualified to be a Luna, but she talks to everyone, making them feel as though she knows each of them personally. In my opinion, that's the type of personality an Alpha female needs. Unlike me, who officially sucks at first impressions. I mean I can't even--

Wait, what the fuck? Why do I even care about what makes a good Alpha? It's not like I'm actually going to be one. The pack will be wiped out by Kiara's birthday. I shake my head and keep my eyes guarded from the crowd of people staring at me. 

Once we reach the car, Chase opens the door to the back seat. Kiara gives him a quick hug, and he returns it awkwardly. I fight down a growl, not because I'm overly possessive, but because I just don't like wolves touching her. I don't want her tainted by their scents. They smell bad. Kiara doesn't need to be touched by such ruthless creatures. I give Chase a curt nod before climbing in after her. 

The blast of the air conditionier instantly hits my face. Once I feel the car start to roll out of the school parking lot, I take a water bottle from the small minifridge and down half of it. I didn't realize how hot it was outside. 

Kiara giggles quietly, and I stop my gulps to flash her a smile. "Better?" she asks. I lean over and kiss her lightly, making her beathing hitch. I loved knowing I could cause that. 

          "Much better," I reply. She flushes, and I lean back in my chair, satisfied. Since when did I become so smooth? I never used to be like this with other girls.  Maybe it's a mate thing. 

Suddnely we hear a thump and the car halts, and I have to put my arm in front of Kiara to keep her from flying out the window. Chase fumbles with his seatbelt, and I hear him mutter "Shit." He whips around in his seat, and his expression is tense. "Kiara, stay in the car," he says forcefully. 

She tilts her head slightly in that innocent way she does. "What's going on, Chase?" 

He opens the door, but before he exits he shouts at her to just stay in the car. She looks at me with a raised eyebrow, and I lean forward to make out two figures through the tinted window. One is Chase, but the other makes a growl rip through my throat. And I don't even care that I sounded so fucking animalistic right then, I'm just so mad.   

Nick is standing in the middle of the road, looking cheery as hell, his personal gun in his left hand. Chase has already shifted into his wolf, snarling at Nick like he actually has a chance of fighting him. I've seen Nick shoot with that gun; the bullets are laced with a deadly poison, the only poison that can  kill werewolves slowly and painfully. Chase has no chance. 

          "Oh my god." Kiara chokes on her words. "Is that--  He's a--" 

"Shh..." I cup her face with my hands, trying to calm her down with my eyes. "You're going to be okay." I glance at the window, wondering why the hell Nick is here trying to kill all of us. This wasn't part of the plan. 

Kiara's eyes are wide and scared. "Why is he here? What did we ever do to him?" She doesn't seem to grasp why hunters kill werewolves, which makes my chest constrict at her innocence.  

          "Shh, Kiara. Just stay here, don't let him see you," I say as calmly as I can. But really, I want to walk up to Nick and tear him apart. 

         "No, Connor! He's gonna kill Chase!" She's staring out the window now, watching as Nick cocks his gun. She tries to reach around me to pull the car door open. 

Fear erupts in me, and I lean on the door so she can't get out. "You're not going out there." I can't let her get hurt. I won't. She tries to wiggle around me, but I stay put, trapping her inside the car. "Please," I beg. "He'll destroy you. You have no idea what he's capable of." 

           "Oh, and you do?" I open my mouth to protest, but I can't say anything. Not really. Because I do know exactly what Nick is capable of. Kiara places her hands on my shoulders, and I can feel how scared she really is. "Chase is my pack member. And I'm going to be a Luna. I have to protect him." 

          "You can't be a Luna if you're dead, Kiara. You're not going out there." 

She moves away from me. "I'll scream. I'll scream really loud, and that hunter will come in here and shoot me instead of Chase." 

         I narrow my eyes at her. "You wouldn't." She couldn't possibly be that stupid. She opens her mouth to scream, and my insticts rise as I jump away from the door to cover her mouth with my hand. 

She uses this opportunity to slide past me, and open the car door, running outside to stand next to Chase. No. 

          "Fuck!" I curse, and run after her. I reach to where she stands, about ten feet away from Nick and his gun. I quickly position myself in front of her, making sure she can't come out from behind me. I won't let Nick hurt her. Chase growls beside me as Nick takes a few steps closer. 

         "Well, what do we have here?" he says, giving me a knowing stare. I keep my eyes narrowed, making sure he knows that I'll kill him if I have to. 

         "You're not welcome here," I spat, because he really isn't. And what the fuck is he doing? 

Nick kept his gaze on Kiara, and I shifted myself so that I was sheilding her even more. With his smoldering stare, he let out a whistle. "Damn. I never knew that a she-wolf could be so... mouthwatering."  

I could feel Kiara's tight grip on my T-shirt, but that was nothing compared to how tight I was clenching my fists. He was trying to rile me up and, damn, it was working. 

          "Don't..." I ground out, which could mean a lot of things. Don't hurt her. Don't ruin everything. Don't force me to kill them sooner then planned. 

          Nick simply gives me a smirk and points his gun at my head. "Come with me, Beautiful. Or I blow his brains out." I narrow my eyes, but show no other emotion. He's not going to kill me, Saxton wouldn't allow it. Kiara, of course, doesn't know that. She sucks in a ragged gasp, and with no hesitation steps out of my grasp. 

Shock and alarm flash in my mind, before I instantly grab her by the waist and pull her behind me again. I'm angry, and also confused as to why in hell she would rather be taken by a hunter to keep me alive. Maybe she doesn't get the fact that they're ruthless to werewolves.  

She tries once more to wiggle out of my hold, but I'm relentless. What the fuck is she doing? Can't she see that I'm trying to help her! Once she realizes that I'm not going to let up, she lets out a sob. 

          "Please don't," she cries. I'd be lying if I said that the sounds of her sobs don't pull on my heart strings a little. "What do you want? Money? You can have it all, just don't hurt him please..." I keep my face still, when I really just want to take her and run away and kiss her everywhere until she stops crying. 

Nick, that jackass, seems amused by her tears. He steps closer to me, gun pressed at my temple. I resist the urge to punch him in the gut. Hard. He's torturing her on purpose. 

          He trains his eyes on her, his lips forming a smirk. "Why do you care so much about this mutt anyway? I'd be doing the world a favor if I just kill him now, don't you think?" Kiara shakes her head furiously, and he barks a laugh. Asshole. "Why, Angel-face? Is he your friend? You probably have plenty of friends, a hot little thing like you. You can sacrifice just one, can't you?" 

          "He's my mate," she whimpers. Nick pulls back his gun, his face stunned. He looks at me with an expression I can't read, and my resolve weakens a little. 

Guilt swarms through me like a tidal wave. He knows I'm her mate. I don't know if Nick knows what a mate actually is, but I'm sure Saxton does. He'll probably tell him as soon as he leaves us alone. I cringe. I'm screwed. 

     Nick lowers his gun, and shoots me a smile. "A mate, huh? How wonderful." 

_____________________

Okay I know what you're thinking. WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED! And I know, what is Nick thinking??? He's gonna ruin the plan! just wait, I have a plan of my own, trust me :)

What about adrian's 'threat?' I wish I had a best friend who would care about me that much... lol. 

Will Nick tell Saxton about Connor's mate? What will happen then? Things are about to get crazy, I can tell you that. 

Don't forget to Fan/Vote/Comment and enjoy :D!

LOVE YOU ALL!! 

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
8.8K 172 20
Alice, a broken girl who has lost her last hope of ever being rescued by her mate. She has been living in a dungeon for 15 years. She lost family and...
99.5K 3.4K 52
Highest ranking: #216 in werewolf #44in female alpha #1 in nerdy Why have a mate when you're an independent, badass female alpha who is more than...
31.3K 1.8K 32
An Alpha female finds her inner Alpha and grows in power. Will she find her mate? Is he her true mate? What are the Rouges planning? Will her over pr...