Finding You

By dani_alyse

"He rests his forehead on mine and closes his eyes. Instantly, my own eyes flutter shut. I can feel his lips... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 2 - Just Keep It PG, Alright?
Chapter 3 - The Boys Are Back
Chapter 4 - What Could Go Wrong?
Chapter 5 - Wait, My What?
Chapter 6 - Hunter Scott
Chapter 8 - Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
Chapter 9 - The Rare Mating Ritual of Mia Valiente
Chapter 10 - Just Between You and Me
Chapter 11 - Close Enough to Touch
Chapter 12 - On Wednesdays We Wear Pink
Chapter 13 - Just Follow My Lead
Chapter 14 - Be My Escape
Chapter 15 - I Guess We're Both Insane
Chapter 16 - The Ice is Melting, and the Pain Feels Okay
Chapter 17 - Did You Just Describe My Butt with the Word Stalker?
Chapter 18 - Unpack Your Heart
Chapter 19 - I Can't Feel My Fingers
Chapter 20 - Harry Potter References.. My One Weakness
Chapter 21 - All I Need to Hear
Chapter 22 - I Think I'm Rubbing Off On You
Chapter 23 - Trouble's Kind of My Thing
Chapter 24 - Put Some Heels on for God's Sake
Chapter 25 - I Remember
Chapter 26 - This Modern Love
Chapter 27 - Kiss Me
Chapter 28 - I Lost My Shoe
Chapter 29 - If You Don't Stop Saying Period, I'm Going to Hurt You
Chapter 30 - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
Chapter 31 - Please Don't Leave Quite Yet
Chapter 32 - Will You Go With Me?
Chapter 33 - Dirty Little Secret
Chapter 34 - Found a Demon in My Safest Haven
Chapter 35 - Critical
Chapter 36 - Dark Blue, Dark Blue
Chapter 37 - Us Against the World
Chapter 38 - On the Right Side of the Wrong Bed
Chapter 39 - Vulnerable
Chapter 40 - So Maybe I've Had Better Ideas
Chapter 41 - Edge of the Ocean
Chapter 42 - I Consider "Fun" to be Sitting at Home and Watching Netflix
Chapter 43 - Never Let Me Go
Chapter 44 - Considering the Fact that We're in My Bedroom
Chapter 45 - End of Story
author's note: Sequel and Hunter's POV
Hunter's Perspective is Up!
The Sequel is Up!

Chapter 7 - Everything Makes More Sense Than That

4.8K 127 3
By dani_alyse

"I don't want to put my trust in anyone.
'Cause nothing that I knew
Turned out to be true.
And I don't want to put my trust in anyone.
- Ivy

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I wake up the next morning tired and yawning.

I didn't really get much rest last night. I tossed and turned in bed until about one in the morning just thinking about everything that's happened with Sean. When I finally did fall asleep, I had a dream about him. In the dream, he had never hurt me, and I was happy.

See, that's the really annoying thing about dreams. People always talk about how awful nightmares are, but at least with those, you're glad to wake up. You feel relieved when you realize that everything that happened wasn't real.

When you dream though, your life is better there. Maybe broken things are fixed, or wrong things are made right. Sometimes they feel so real that it's easy to get lost in them. But once you wake up, and that euphoric feeling fades, you're left with this empty feeling of disappointment. Like you lost something.

It kind of sucks.

Needless to say, once I woke up, I didn't have it in me to try to go back to sleep. I didn't want to dream about Sean again. It would only make it more difficult to go to school and face the real version of him. You know, the one that continues to act like a bipolar jerk?

Anyway, I decide to just get up and start getting ready for school. My entire body aches from yesterday's practice as I roll out of bed, so I automatically dread what today's practice is going to be like. Still, I manage to get out of the house in record time, and I make it to school before the first bell even rings.

The hallways are emptier at this time than usual, and I use the opportunity to meander a bit, choosing to take the long way to my locker.

As I make my way through the halls, I'm reminded of what I decided on last night: avoid Hunter at all costs.

Okay, so yesterday, I may have lost my head when I agreed to show him around, but I mean, who could blame me? It's not every day you run into a guy that attractive on the street. Especially not me. It would have been enough to cloud anyone's judgment.

Since our interaction though, I've had some time to think with a clear head, and honestly? I can't afford to deal with that right now. I've got way too much going on.

Besides, a guy like that? I'm sure every girl in school will be tripping all over themselves to be his tour guide. He'll have so many offers, I'm sure he won't mind if I go back on our agreement.

Honestly, he probably won't even remember asking me. Why would he? I could barely even look him in the eye during our entire interaction, and I practically accused him of stalking me. Not exactly a good look.

He probably just asked to be polite and will be glad that I'm letting him off the hook. Yeah, yeah that makes more sense.

Despite the long, winding route I take, I end up at my locker eventually. I'm grabbing my books for my first class when I hear voices and footsteps coming down the hallway.

"We're very proud that you chose our school for your transfer. As long as you apply yourself and work hard, I think you'll be very happy here, Mr. Scott."

I peek out from behind my locker door to see our principal, Ms. Weston, making her way towards me with Hunter following closely behind.

You've got to be kidding me, it's been all of ten minutes, and I'm already failing at my new resolution.

In a panic, I hide my face behind my locker door and just sort of busy myself with my books, hoping that all of my practice at being a wallflower will pay off now.

Their steps get closer and closer to where I am, and I listen to Ms. Weston as she talks the school up to Hunter, going on and on about the merits of a private education and how many seniors graduated with academic scholarships last year.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, but it isn't easy because she is laying it on thick. Whenever there's new students, Ms. Weston tends to overplay her involvement in the student body just a bit.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great school, but it's the teachers that have always been what sets this place apart. We only ever really see her when we get into trouble.

Yet somehow, she still always expects a heartfelt "thank you" at graduation. Can you say hypocrite?

"Yes, ma'am," Hunter replies smoothly. "I can already tell that this is a great school, and I'm so excited to be here," he says emphatically.

Wow, sounds like someone knows how to kiss up to authority figures. Ms. Weston loves to have her ego stroked. If he's already figured that out, Hunter will fit in here just fine.

"Well, I would give you a tour of the school, but I've got a meeting in a few minutes. Perhaps I can assign a student to be your unofficial guide until you feel more comfortable?" I hear her suggest.

Oh no, this is bad. Quietly, I shut my locker door and turn the opposite way. Keeping my head down so as not to draw attention, I start to walk away until I hear Hunter speak again, and I freeze.

"Don't worry, that's not necessary ma'am. A student here, Mia Valiente, already said she would show me around. Actually, there she is now," he says, and I can almost hear that smirk from yesterday in his voice.

Crap.

"Oh, that's wonderful," Ms. Weston says. "Mia, could you come here for a moment?"

The urge to turn around and sprint in the opposite direction is strong, but of course, I don't. I do what any respectable rule-following girl would do. I turn around and walk towards them.

"Mia," she says as I approach. "Mr. Scott tells me you've agreed to show him around the school?"

I come to a stop in front of them. "Yes ma'am," I reply tentatively.

"I'd appreciate it if you would act as a guide for him for the next few weeks. Help him to get acclimated to our school, and the way we do things here. I expect to see him escorted everywhere by you until he feels comfortable on his own. Since the two of you seem to already be acquaintances, it'll be good for him to have a familiar face around. Try to make him feel at home, alright?"

It's clear by the tone of her voice that she's not really asking.

"Yes ma'am, I'll do my best," I reply. Then she turns on her heels and leaves us, the click clack of her shoes echoing all the way down the hall.

So much for staying away from him.

I turn around to find Hunter only a few inches away from me, having closed the distance between us. It almost startles me, but not quite. Even close up, he's still just as handsome as he was yesterday.

"Hey," he says.

"Hi," I reply sort of breathlessly, due to his close proximity. I'm suddenly conscious of how terrible and tired I must look and pull back.

He lightly chuckles. "So, Mia, you want to tell me why you were trying to sneak away before I saw you?"

I immediately flush. "Oh, that? I wasn't sneaking away, I was just... headed for first period. You can never be too early, you know?" I say with a nervous laugh.

"Right," he says, not looking too convinced. Did I mention that I'm not a very good liar? Because I'm really not a very good liar. "You know, you don't have to show me around if you don't want to," he continues. "I don't want you to think you owe me something for yesterday or anything - "

"No!" I say, cutting him off. "No, it's fine, I promise. I'd love to show you around. It'll be fun," I tell him with a smile.

I don't want him to think it's his fault that I don't want to be around him. Besides, I'm sure it'll be fine, as long as I'm careful.

A handsome smile breaks out on his face. "Great, lead the way."

I walk in front of him trying to look as professional as possible, because that's all this is - a business relationship, my civic duty as a scholarship kid. Hunter follows closely behind me, then speeds up so we're walking next to each other.

"We still have a couple of minutes before class starts, so we should probably find your locker," I say. "What's your number?"

He raises an eyebrow at me. "Wow, already asking for my number, huh? I mean, that's a little forward, but if you want it, it's yours."

I laugh, embarrassed. "No, I - I meant your locker number."

He chuckles. "I know. I found that a while ago. Already have my books for first class in my bag," he finishes, hoisting his backpack strap higher up on his shoulder.

I look up at him with playfully narrowed eyes. "So, let me get this straight.. You found your locker on your own, and you already know what books to have for first period. Why do I think you don't need as much help navigating this school as Ms. Weston thinks you do?"

He shrugs, a glint in his blue eyes and a playful smile on his lips. "I don't know what you're talking about," he starts. "Of course I need help. The only other possible reason I would ask you to show me around would be to get to know you, and come on Mia, that's ridiculous."

I laugh and shake my head. "Honestly, you needing help to navigate the world's smallest school makes more sense than that."

Everything makes more sense than that.

Hunter reaches out and lightly sets a hand on my forearm to stop me from walking. I pause and look up at him.

He holds my gaze for a moment before speaking. "Hey.. from what I can tell, you're exactly the kind of girl I want to get to know," he says, lips forming a hint of a smile. It's like he read my mind.

It seems like a long moment that we're there, looking at each other like that until I break our eye contact, and his hand drops from my arm. My skin tingles where he touched. "Thanks..," I reply. Awkward and unsure of what else to say, I brush a strand of hair behind my ear.

I clear my throat to break the tension, "So, um, we should head to class. The bell's going to ring any minute now. If we hurry, I can introduce you to my friends before the lesson starts," I offer.

"Sounds good," he replies. And we head off to class.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N - Hey, everyone, so I hope you guys like the story so far! Please comment while you read and let me know what you think so far!

Should I include more of Sean in the story? or is everybody liking Hunter so far?

Song at the top is "Clear My Head" by Ivy. Heard it on tv, and I loved it.

Please remember to vote, and please please comment and let me know what you think! I really appreciate anyone who's taken an interest in this story!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

826K 19.2K 80
"You don't like it rough?" he asks me. Oh, okay, I smirk back at him, two can play this game. "I like it... but only during sex, " I say to him wat...
1.5M 35K 50
"I...I...was just....."I stuttered and he grabbed my jaws with his thumb and index finger,squeezing my cheeks. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."H...
304K 9K 61
"I wouldn't mind watching you. Maybe we could tan together this summer." He suggested. "Without having tan lines." I could feel the smirk playing on...
49.1K 1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...