Distractions

By pretty_scary_vampire

Cover by the brilliantly talented @amxnaah "This is chaos. And not the good kind of chaos. The 'let me go die... More

Extended Summary
Trigger Warnings
Aesthetics and Cast
Season One
One: Gifts and Possibly Crazy Sisters
Two: Glitter and Dead Bodies
Three: Creepy Places Galore
Four: Who is She?
Five: Two Sides of the Hotel Dumort
Six: An Idiot and a Mini Heart-to-Heart
Seven: Overprotective Dye Blonde Brother
Eight: Demon Summoning and Babysitting
Nine: Are We Sure Simon's Not on Drugs?
Ten: Writing Research Isn't Useless (Take That Clary)
Eleven: Shots Fired
Twelve: You Don't Know Her As Well As You Think
8.3K??? (And Sneak Peaks at Next Chapter)
Thirteen: Group Chats Are A Lot
Fourteen: A Lawyer is Unnecessary
Fifteen: Everest Wants a Cat
Sixteen: Laughter Amongst the Overwhelm
Seventeen: Accidental Confessions and Disney Marathons
Eighteen: Nobody Knows What's Happening
Milestone Celebration!!
Nineteen: She Said Yes
Twenty: Hypocrites and Almost Being Run Over
Intermission
Q&A
Legos
Sleep is a Necessity
No Coffee Equals Potential Death
Movie Nights
She Was Her First, But She Wasn't Her Last
Family Reunion
She Was Just a Kid
The Class Meets Malecrest
What a Birthday
The Chirping of the Doves Leads to Talks
Morning Rush
Overwhelmed
Midnight Calm
Overdressed
Photo Worthy
Afternoon Dance
Blanket Forts and Onesies
Reliving the Happy Past
First Concerts
Season Two
Twenty-One: It's Too Cold
Twenty-Two: Broken Furniture and Needed Apologies
Twenty-Three: Maybe Pizza Doesn't Fix Everything
Twenty-Four: Valentine is...Confusing
Twenty-Five: Church One and Church Two
Twenty-Six: The Other Side of the Past
Twenty-Seven: Too Many Urgent Alerts
Twenty-Eight: Drip, Drip, Smack
Twenty-Nine: Cry Baby
Thirty: Bear Hugs
Thirty-One: Communication
Thirty-Two: Party in the US of Mess
Thirty-Three: Good Talk, Good Shot
Thirty-Four: FaceTimes and Brothers
Thirty-Five: Coffee Saves Lives
Thirty-Six: Valentine's Daughter
Thirty-Seven: Flirtatious Babes
Thirty-Eight: Don't Make It Worse
Thirty-Nine: Killing Tree
Chapter Forty: Drama and Trauma
Forty-One: Blame Game
Forty-Two: Corpses Aren't Friends
Forty-Three: Oranges are Hell
Forty-Four: Brother Dearest
Forty-Five: Not Extinct Enough
Season Three
Forty-Six: New Things
Forty-Seven: The Art of B&E
Forty-Eight: Family Dinner
Forty-Nine: Goodbye

Cookouts and Music Videos

2.3K 80 15
By pretty_scary_vampire

This is the second drabble for @Snowisawesome's Everest has a secret talent prompt. Hope you enjoy! Please note, this chapter is centered around food, so if that is a possible trigger for you, please skip this part. I want everyone to be safe while reading this story.

And yes, I used this drabbles as a way to freak out about Måneskin's new music video, I Wanna Be Your Slave. It's great and I highly recommend you go watch it if you can. But some of the lyrics in the song are written here too, and they're not the most PG, so if that could potentially trigger you, please skip it. Again, I want everyone to be safe.

Everest could cook, kind of. She could cook enough food and well enough that she couldn't kill a kitchen or starve, but in no way was she a master chef. She could bake box mixes and chocolate chip cookies, but not much else besides that. However, she had grown up with Luke Garroway and Brad and Jay Karter, all of whom loved a good cookout. As such, she learned very quickly how to work a grill and how to grill most anything. From chicken and beef, to vegetables and seafood, Everest was the person that her friends and family asked when they wanted something grilled.

Due to the love of grilled food and cookouts among Everest's friends and family, the food-filled gatherings were a frequent thing. During the warmer months of the year the large group could be found at the Karter's house (since they were the only ones who lived in a house at the time and they didn't want to drive three hours to the farm every other weekend) with all sorts of food laid out on folding tables and sitting in lawn chairs with various drinks in hand as they all talked and laughed with each other.

There hadn't been a cookout in a while, what with the twins and Simon being shot into the ShadowWorld, Luke becoming leader of the New York pack, the craziness of Gino and Roslyn's lives, and the intense schedules of the Karters. But now it was summer and they had all planned to have the day off for a cookout; they weren't going to let anyone or anything stop them from having this cookout.

"Do you guys want to go to a cookout?" Clary and Everest asked simultaneously as they approached Alec, Magnus, Izzy, and Jace in the Ops Center.

"What?"

"What's that?"

"When and where?"

"What'd you say?"

Everest laughed at the varying reactions and went to stand by her Parabatai. "Do you guys want to go to a cookout tomorrow at like eleven? It'd be a bunch of friends and family, a lot of food, lots of stories, and probably fires."

They all agreed and the rest of the day was spent laying around the Institute and then later Alec, Magnus, and Everest went back to their apartment for the night. Their evening was as peaceful as it could have been with Everest having to get on an emergency call with a few of her online friends to figure out how to fix an issue with one of their projects. But eventually the issue was fixed and Everest was able to go to bed at last.

"Everything all right?" Magnus asked as she slipped under the covers beside him.

"Yeah, it's all fixed now. Someone accidentally emailed some files to someone who's not supposed to have the files, but we got the files back and so it's all good," she told her partners.

"Glad it's fixed," Alec said from the other side of Magnus. "You sounded very stressed when you were on the phone."

"I was," she muttered, resting her head on Magnus's chest and letting her eyes flutter closed. "Night Alec, night Magnus. Love you."

"Goodnight, I love you."

"Sweet dreams, love you."

...

The next morning wasn't as peaceful as Everest would have liked it to have been. She had woken up to nearly thirty emails and dozens of notifications, forcing her to leave her comfortable spot curled up beside her partners and under the warm blankets to sit in the living room with her computer and three different notebooks so that she had all the information she needed to answer emails and messages. Sometimes being an actual person in the writing community was a lot of work, but she really did love it. Even when she was woken up far too early because of notifications.

"Why are you up so early?" Alec asked around a cup of coffee. She hadn't realized he was awake.

"Emails."

He grimaced. "Want more coffee?"

"Yes please."

A few minutes later a new cup of coffee was beside her, two more messages had been answered, and Magnus had woken up.

"Work?" he asked, giving Everest and Alec a small kiss on his way to the kitchen. Everest gave him a thumbs up before actually comprehending what he had said. Her brows furrowed and then she shook her head and then nodded after a moment.

"Yeah, it's a lot of follow ups and requests that I have to sort through."

"Good luck." She gave him a smile and returned to her computer, determined to finish everything she needed to get done before they had to leave for the cookout.

...

"EVEREST!"

The young woman with dark pink, purple, and blue hair stumbled back with the force of the hug from Harper and Roslyn. She laughed and returned the hug, only just managing to escape it before she lost the ability to breath. "Hi guys."

Everest, Magnus, and Alec were greeted with hugs and smiles by Jay, Brad, Gino, Clary, Izzy, and Jace. Soon enough they were pulled away from each other to different areas of the backyard.

"Are we ready to start grilling?" she asked her father figures with a grin.

"Ready when you are," Brad said, returning the grin.

She nodded and followed them inside to the kitchen and helped prepare the burgers, vegetables, and everything else they were grilling. With the three of them working together, it only took twenty minutes and once the grill was heated up, they trailed outside one after the other, platters of uncooked food in their arms.

Everyone else was too caught up in their conversations to pay much attention to the three grilling. It was a sort of familiar chaotic peacefulness in the backyard as everyone mingled among themselves. And then Harper screamed.

"EVEREST!" The young woman looked up, alarmed. "Måneskin dropped their new music video!"

Then Everest screamed, then Gino and Roslyn did too. Soon the four were jumping around and screaming like the ridiculous fans they were while everyone else watched in varying levels of amusement and confusion.

"Go get the computer, I wanna watch this now!"

Gino ran into the house and back out to the yard within two minutes. Harper signed in and while still jumping up and down in excitement she found the video. Everyone else crowded around the computer to see why they were so excited.

"Holy shit, I'm in love," Roslyn breathed.

"I love you since this morning, not just for aesthetic. I wanna touch your body, so fucking electric. I know you scared of me, you said that I'm too eccentric. I'm crying all my tears, and that's fucking pathetic," the four sang along with the video.

"I'm dead, this is amazing!" No one was quite sure who said that, it could have been any or all of them.

"Because I'm the devil who's searching for redemption. And I'm a lawyer who's searching for redemption. And I'm a killer who's searching for redemption. I'm a motherfucking monster who's searching for redemption." It took every fiber of self control Everest had to not squeal at the absolutely perfect editing of the video. "And I'm a bad guy who's searching for redemption. And I'm a blonde girl who's searching for redemption. I'm a freak that is searching for redemption. I'm a motherfucking monster who's searching for redemption."

Magnus watched in amusement as his girlfriend fangirled over the music video with three of her friends and sang along with a brilliant smile on her face. He didn't think it was possible for him to love her more than he already did, but seeing her so happy and alive made her realize that it was possible.

"My heart," Gino muttered, barely audible above the music. "My poor, brilliantly gay heart can't take this."

"Gino, none of our hearts can take this," Harper laughed.

The music video ended and it was silent in the backyard for a moment while Everest, Harper, Gino, and Roslyn processed what they had just watched.

"I—I love that. That was amazing and perfect and I just—fucking hell. They've outdone themselves," Everest rambled.

"The lights, and the angles, and the concepts, all perfect," Roslyn added.

"They're perfect," Harper said firmly, leaving no room for disagreement, not that any of them would have disagreed anyway.

"I thought the song was great on its own, but now it's just gotten so much better." Gino looked just as stunned as the others felt (and probably looked).

"What was that?" Magnus whispered to Alec, who shrugged.

"That was the music video for one of Everest's favorite bands," Izzy explained, overhearing the question. The men nodded in understanding and watched as their girlfriend took over the aux cord.

"We're playing Måneskin for the rest of today," she announced and then rock music filled the backyard as she returned to the grill.

"I didn't know you knew how to grill," Alec mused as he stood next to her with a small smile.

"Brad, Jay, and Luke taught me when I was thirteen," she explained, flipping burgers.

Around one-thirty the food was done and everyone was sitting in lawn chairs with lunch. They were all laughing and sharing stories well into the evening, eating leftovers from lunch as dinner since none of them wanted to cook anything new. It was a good day, even with being woken up too early by notifications.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

963K 23.7K 132
Magnus x oc x Alec Magnus x gracelynne x Alec Magician x little girl x archer Gracelynne Fairchild she may be Turning 18 today but in her heart she'...
34.9K 884 25
Hi! I took over this story from the user @traaassshhh because they will soon be deleting the original story. The story may change a bit because I onl...
138K 2.6K 29
"Nephilims" That's what they're called, beings that protect the mundane world from demons, beings that are half-angel and half-human. They only have...
38.2K 1.2K 75
Shadowhunter fanfic - UNEDITED Chapters are currently in wrong order and won't go back , my apologies Adelina Fairchild is the second born child of J...