Harry Potter and Claire Smith...

By MykalaMcGuire

The third book in the series is called Guilty Until Proven Innocent. A mass murderer escapee from Azkaban, Si... More

Mr. Weasley's Wonderful News
The Talk and Egypt
An Interesting Summer
Emotions
Dementors Aren't the Nicest Beings
The Inner Eye and the Hippogriff
The Fender, The Drums, and The Solo
Hogsmeade, Tea, and Conversations
Saxton, Song, Snape, and a Snapped Broom
The Marauder's Map
Kisses, Feuds, Vinyls, and Brooms
Crumbling Friendships
The Werewolf's Advice
Dementors and Dates
The Quidditch Cup Final
Animagi and Boxing Branches
Moony's Tale
The Mask Of Peter Pettigrew
Pettigrew Escapes and Dementors Again
The Time-Turner
Yelling at Boxes
Proof
Summer Plans
Book Four is out!
Rewriting Stories

The Seer's Prediction

197 5 0
By MykalaMcGuire

Chapter 16: The Seer's Prediction

Harry's euphoria at finally winning the Quidditch Cup lasted at least a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached, the days became cloudless, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, or watching the giant squid propel itself dreamily across the surface of the lake.

But they couldn't. Exams were nearly upon them, and instead of lazing around outside, the students were forced to remain inside the castle, trying to bully their brains into concentrating while enticing wafts of summer air drifted through the windows. Even Fred and George had been spotted working; they were about to take their O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels). Percy was getting ready to take his N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests), the highest qualification Hogwarts offered. As Percy hoped to enter the Ministry of Magic, he needed top grades. Because of this Percy was on edge and would give serve punishments to anybody who disturbed the quiet of the common room in the evenings. The only other person who seemed more anxious than Percy was Hermione.

Harry and Ron had given up asking her how she was managing to attend several classes at once. They suspected Claire knew something about the subject because whenever they brought it up Claire went quiet. However, they couldn't restrain themselves when they saw the exam schedule Hermione had drawn up for herself. The first column read:

Monday

9 o' clock Arithmancy

9 o' clock Transfiguration

Lunch

1 o' clock Charms

1 o' clock Ancient Runes

"Hermione?" Ron said cautiously, because she was liable to explode when interrupted nowadays. "Er—are you sure you've copied down these times right?"

"What?" Hermione snapped, picking the exam schedule up and examining it. "Yes, of course I have."

"Is there any point asking how you're going to sit for two exams at once?" Harry said.

"No," Hermione said shortly. "Have you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"

"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," Ron said, but very quietly.

"You read a book?" Claire teased him earning a glare in return.

Just then, there was a rustle at the window and Hedwig fluttered through it, a note clutched tight in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," Harry said, ripping the note open. "Buckbeak's appeal— it's set for the sixth."

"That's the day we finish our exams," Hermione said, still looking for her Arithmancy book.

Claire spotted the book and handed it to Hermione who thanked her gratefully.

"And they're coming up here to do it," Harry said, still reading from the letter. "Someone from the Ministry of Magic and—and an executioner."

Hermione looked up, startled.

"They're bringing the executioner to the appeal!"

"They're not even going to consider the appeal." Claire said, frustrated.

"They can't!" Ron howled. "I've spent ages reading up on stuff for him; they can't just ignore it all!"

"You're not the only who had to look up stuff." Claire said. "And they can ignore it all when they don't even give a damn about Buckbeak."

"Claire!" Hermione scolded.

"You know it's true Hermione." Claire said. "Like Hagrid said Malfoy's father keeps slipping galleons into the Committee's pockets. The last thing the Committee is worried about is Buckbeak. It's a shame what people will do for money."

Harry couldn't help but agree with Claire. He had a horrible feeling that the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures had its mind made up for it by Mr. Malfoy and he didn't have to think twice that it involved money. Draco, who had been noticeably subdued since Gryffindor's triumph in the Quidditch field, seemed to regain some of his old swagger over the next few days. It seemed from the sneering comments Harry overheard, Malfoy was certain Buckbeak was going to be killed, and seemed thoroughly pleased with himself for bringing it about.

"I swear," Claire muttered one afternoon as they passed a proud-looking Malfoy in the halls. "If I hear him say one more thing about Hagrid and Buckbeak I'm going to feed him to the giant squid."

And the worst thing of all was that the four friends had no time or opportunity to go and see Hagrid, because the strict new security measures had not been lifted.

"We could use your invisibility cloak, Harry," Claire suggested one evening.

"Yea, about that," Harry said sheepishly. "I might have left it by the one-eyed witch."

"You what?" Claire said. "When did that happen?"

"When we went to Hogsmeade." Harry replied. "Malfoy saw me and I had to rush back to the castle before he told one of the Professors. When I got here, I left the cloak next to the one-eyed witch statue because it'd be a dead give-a-way if Malfoy tipped off a teacher. It's a good thing I did too because Snape was around the corner from the statue. Snape began questioning me and told me to empty my pockets. He spotted the map and then Professor Lupin showed up. Professor Lupin said he'd take the map to examine it and before Snape could argue with him Dumbledore appeared telling us about Black's attack on you."

Claire was shocked. "I'm knocked out for a few hours and its as though I missed everything."

So, with no way or time to talk to Hagrid, they focused on preparing for their exams. Exam week soon began and an unnatural hush fell over the castle. The third years emerged from Transfiguration at lunchtime on Monday, comparing results and complaining about the difficulty of the tasks they had been set, which included turning a teapot into a tortoise.

"Do you think I'll get points off for my tortoise looking more like a turtle?" Hermione asked worriedly.

Claire rolled her eyes. "No. I'm sure you'll get full marks. At least your tortoise didn't make a high-pitch whistle when it opened its mouth."

After a hasty lunch, it was straight back upstairs for the Charms exam. Hermione had been right; Cheering Charms were on the exam. Professor Flitwick paired them up and told them to perform the Cheering Charm on one another. Claire had been partnered with Hermione and they both were praised for their charms by Professor Flitwick. After dinner, the students hurried back to their common rooms, not to relax, but to start studying for Care of Magical Creatures, Potions, and Astronomy.

The following morning, Hagrid instructed them what to do for the exam but it was obvious his heart didn't seem to be in it at all. He had provided a large tub of fresh flobberworms for the class, and told them that to pass the test, their flobberworms had to still be alive at the end of one hour. As flobberworms flourished best if left to their own devices, it was the easiest exam any of them had ever taken, and also gave Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione plenty of opportunity to speak to Hagrid.

"Beaky's gettin' a bit depressed," Hagrid told them, bending low on the pretense of checking that Harry's flobberworm was still alive. "Bin cooped up too long. But still…..we'll know day after tomorrow—one way or another—"

They had Potions that afternoon, which was an unqualified disaster, except for Claire. Claire was surprised to see that she had actually brewed the Confusing Concoction perfectly and had to restrain herself from laughing at Snape's disappointed that she had brewed it correctly.

Next came Astronomy at midnight, up on the tallest tower; History of Magic on Wednesday morning, and Herbology Wednesday afternoon. All the students felt most of their test anxiety disappear as they realized they had one day left of exams.

Their second (Claire's third) to last exam, on Thursday morning, was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of them had ever taken; a sort of obstacle course outside in the sun, where they had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of Red Caps, squish their way across a patch of marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new boggart.

"Excellent, Harry," Lupin muttered as Harry climbed out of the turn, grinning, "Full marks."

Flushed with his success, Harry hung around to watch Ron, Hermione, and Claire. Ron did very well until he reached the hinkypunk, which successfully confused him into sinking waist-high into the quagmire. Hermione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, she burst out again, screaming.

"Hermione!" Lupin said, startled. "What's the matter?"

"P—P—Professor McGonagall!" Hermione gasped, pointing into the trunk. "Sh—she said I'd failed everything!"

While Hermione recovered from her boggart, Claire emerged from the trunk feeling elated.

"Good work, Claire," Lupin said to her.

"Thanks, Professor," Claire said.

Claire walked over to Claire, Ron, Hermione, and Harry catching sight of Hermione who looked pale and was taking deep breaths.

"You alright, Hermione?" Claire said concerned.

Hermione nodded.

"Was it your boggart?" Claire asked.

Hermione nodded again and then told Claire what her boggart was. Ron seemed to be holding back laughter, but he stopped once he caught Claire's glare. After Hermione had calmed down, they went back to the castle. They stopped abruptly at the sight that met them at the top of the steps.

Cornelius Fudge, sweating slightly in his pinstriped cloak, was standing there staring out at the grounds. He started at the sight of Harry.

"Hello there, Harry!" he said. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," Harry said. Hermione, Claire, and Ron, not being on speaking terms with the Ministry of Magic, hovered awkwardly in the background.

"Lovely day," Fudge said, casting an eye over the lake. "Pity…pity….."

He sighed deeply and looked down at Harry.

"I'm here on an unpleasant mission, Harry. The Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures required a witness to the execution of a mad hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to check on the Black situation, I was asked to step in."

"Does that mean the appeal's already happened?" Ron interrupted, stepping forward.

"No, no it's scheduled for this afternoon," Fudge said, looking curiously at Ron.

"Then you might not have to witness an execution at all!" Claire said, stepping forward. "The hippogriff might get off!"

Before Fudge said anything, two wizards came through the castle doors behind him. One was so ancient he appeared to be withering away in front of their eyes; the other was tall and strapping, with a thin black mustache. They gathered they were the representatives of the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures, because the very old wizard squinted toward Hagrid's cabin and said in a feeble voice, "Dear, dear, I'm getting too old for this…..Two o'clock, isn't it, Fudge?"

The black-mustached man was fingering something in his belt; Claire looked and saw that he was running one broad thumb along the blade of a shining axe. Ron opened his mouth to say something, but Hermione nudged him hard in the ribs and jerked her head toward the entrance hall.

"Why'd you stop me?" Ron said angrily as they entered the Great Hall for lunch. "Did you see them? They've even got the axe ready! This isn't justice!"

"Ron, your dad works for the Ministry, you can't go saying things like that to his boss!" Hermione said, but she too looked very upset.

"Especially not since your flying car incident last year," Claire said. "And as long as Hagrid keeps his tongue untied and argues his case strongly, they can't execute Buckbeak…."

But Harry could tell Claire didn't really believe what she was saying. While everyone around them seemed to be talking excitedly, Claire, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were lost in worry about Hagrid and Buckbeak.

Harry's and Ron's last exam was Divination; Hermione's, Muggle Studies. Claire on the other hand had both at the same time. Ron and Harry caught glimpse of her schedule and were about to ask her about it when Claire and Hermione left the table. Harry and Ron walked up the marble staircase until they reached the seventh floor. When they reached the seventh floor, they spotted Claire already there sitting on the spiral staircase to Professor Trelawney's classroom with other students, trying to cram in a bit of last-minute studying. They walked over to Claire and sat next to her.

"Aren't you suppose to be at your Muggle Studies exam?" Harry said.

"Already finished it," Claire said, closing her book. "Wasn't too bad. So, you two ready for this exam?"

"Sort of," Harry said. "Why are we all waiting out here?"

"She's seeing us all separately," Neville informed them, who was sitting on the step above them. He had his copt of Unfogging the Future open on his lap at the pages devoted to crystal gazing. "Have you three ever seen anything in a crystal ball?" he asked them unhappily.

"Nope," Ron said in an offhand voice. He kept checking his watch; Harry and Claire knew that he was counting down the time until Buckbeak's appeal started.

"Does my reflection count?" Claire said.

The line of people outside the classroom shortened very slowly. As each person climbed back down the silver ladder, the rest of the class would hiss about what she had asked them. But they all refused to say.

"She says the crystal ball's told her that if I tell you, I'll have a horrible accident!" Neville squeaked as he clambered back down the ladder toward Harry, Claire, and Ron, who had now reached the landing.

"How convenient," Claire said sarcastically.

"You know," Ron began. "I'm starting to think Hermione was right about her"—he jabbed his thumb toward the trapdoor overhead—"she's a right old fraud."

"Ronald Weasley," said the familiar, misty voice from over their heads.

"Have fun," Claire teased Ron earning herself a glare in return.

Ron grimaced at Claire and Harry and climbed the silver ladder out of sight. Claire and Harry were the only ones left to be tested. They settled on the floor.

"I really hope Hagrid kept his head this time," Claire said. "Do you think Buckbeak has a chance?"

"No," Harry said honestly.

"Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine," Claire said. "But I guess you're right. I wish there was something we could do to save Buckbeak."

"Me too," Harry agreed.

Twenty minutes later, Ron's large feet reappeared on the ladder.

"How'd it go?" Harry asked him, standing up.

"Rubbish," Ron said. "Couldn't see a thing, so I made some stuff up. Don't think she was convinced, though…."

"Claire Smith," Professor Trelawney called.

"Let's get this over with," Claire muttered starting to climb the ladder.

As Claire entered the tower room, she noticed it was hotter than ever before. The curtains were closed and the fire was alight. The usual sickly sent wafted through the air making Claire cough as she stumbled through the clutter of chairs and tables to where Professor Trelawney sat waiting for her before a large crystal ball.

"Good day, my dear," she said softly. "If you would kindly gaze into the Orb…..Take your time, now…..then tell me what you see within it….."

Claire bent over the crystal ball and stared as hard as she could, willing it to show her something other than swirling white fog. A few seconds passed and nothing appeared.

"Well?" Professor Trelawney prompted delicately. "What do you see?"

Claire fought back the smartass comment in her head and thought back to what Ron had said. Claire decided to make something up.

"I see a box," Claire said, staring intently at the crystal ball.

"A box?" Professor Trelawney questioned. "What color is it?"

To Claire's amazement, she began to see an outline of a box in the white fog. It began to turn blue and words became to appear on the top of the box. It seemed as though the box was heading towards the sun as there was a yellow light glowing around it.

"It's blue and at the top it says Police Box. I think it's heading toward the sun." Claire couldn't believe what she saw. It was the same box she had seen numerous times in her dreams. Suddenly, the box disappeared and something else appeared.

"The box disappeared and now there's a rat. It looks like Ron's rat Scabbers and its missing a toe? Can't believe I never noticed that. And the rat is wearing a mask. Wait, now the mask is gone and so is the rat. There's a figure in it's place. I can't tell what it is….."

"Marvelous!" Professor Trelawney exclaimed, making Claire jump. "In all my years of teaching at Hogwarts I have never seen a student who shows this much prominence as a Seer. Excellent work, Miss Smith! We're done here."

"Thank you?" Claire said unsure. She climbed down the ladder.

"Did you see anything?" Harry asked.

"I didn't at first and then I started seeing something," Claire said.

"You're kidding." Ron said in disbelief.

"Nope," Claire said.

"What did you see?" Harry asked.

Claire was about to tell him when—

"Harry Potter!"

"Good luck, Harry," Claire said as he disappeared up the ladder.

Ron and Claire waited for Harry.

"I'm going to head to the common room," Ron said.

"Alright, Harry and I will catch up with you when he's finished." Claire said as Ron disappeared.

Harry soon came down.

"Where's Ron?" Harry asked.

"He went to the common room. C'mon let's catch up—" Claire stopped talking as a crystal orb rolled to her feet.

"What the—?" Claire picked up the orb looking at it curiously. "Where did this come from?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "Don't know. We should probably return it to Professor Trelawney."

Claire groaned. "Alright, but let's make this quick."

They both climbed the ladder into her classroom. Professor Trelawney was nowhere in sight. They noticed one of the tables was missing an orb so Claire and Harry walked over to it and Claire placed the orb on the stand.

"There. Let's get out of here—" Claire and Harry turned around to see Professor Trelawney, who had reached out and placed a hand on either of their shoulders. Claire and Harry were startled by her sudden appearance.

"IT WILL HAPPEN TONIGHT." Professor Trelawney said in a loud, harsh voice.

Claire and Harry furrowed their eyebrows.

"What will happen tonight?" Harry asked confused.

But Professor Trelawney didn't seem to hear him. Her eyes started to roll. Claire and Harry stood there in a panic. She looked as though she was about to have some sort of seizure. Professor Trelawney then spoke in the same harsh voice, quite unlike her own:

"THE DARK LORD LIES ALONE AND FRIENDLESS, ABANDONED BY HIS FOLLOWERS JUST AS HE WAS ABANDONED IN HIS FIRST LIFE. HIS SERVANT HAS BEEN CHAINED THESE TWELVE YEARS. TONIGHT, BEFORE MIDNIGHT…..THE SERVANT WILL BREAK FREE. HOWEVER, HE WILL BE CAUGHT ONLY TO ESCAPE FROM HIS PRISON AND HE WILL SET OUT TO REJOIN HIS MASTER. THE DARK LORD WILL RISE AGAIN WITH HIS SERVANT'S AID, GREATER AND MORE TERRIBLE THAN EVER HE WAS. WE WILL SEE THE TRUTH BEHIND THE DARK LORD'S ORIGINS. TONIGHT…BEFORE MIDNIGHT…."

Professor Trelawney then removed her hands from Claire's and Harry's shoulder before coughing as though something was in her throat. Claire and Harry stood there, staring at her. Then, quite suddenly, Professor Trelawney's head snapped up.

"Oh, dear," she said dreamily. "It must be the heat of the day. Miss Smith, Mr. Potter why are you in my classroom?"

"We were returning one of your orbs," Claire said, her voice slightly shaky. "We'll be leaving now."

Claire and Harry rushed out of the classroom and began walking to the common room.

"What the hell just happened?" Claire said in a panicky tone.

"I don't know," Harry said. "But we have to tell Ron and Hermione."

They dashed into the common room, Professor Trelawney's words still resounding in their heads. They spotted Hermione and Ron and rushed over to them.

"Professor Trelawney," Harry panted, "just told me—"

But he stopped abruptly at the sight of their faces.

"What's wrong?" Claire asked, a bad feeling overcoming her.

"Buckbeak lost," Ron said weakly. "Hagrid's just sent this."

Ron handed the note to Claire and Harry. They read it.

Lost appeal. They're going to execute at sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. I don't want you to see it.

Hagrid.

"We've got to go," Harry said at once. "He can't just sit there on his own, waiting for the executioner!"

"Sunset, though," Ron said, who was staring out the window in a glazed sort of way. "We'd never be allowed…..'specifically you two, Claire, Harry…"

"If only someone hadn't left his invisibility cloak by the one-eyed witch," Claire glared at Harry.

Hermione stood up. "Where exactly is this statue?"

Harry told her how to get to the statue of the one-eyed witch and Hermione strode across the room, pushed open the Fat Lady's portrait and vanished from sight.

"She hasn't gone to get it?" Ron said, staring after her.

"I think she did." Claire said.

Hermione returned fifteen minutes later with the silvery cloak folded carefully under her robes.

"Hermione, I don't know what's gotten into you lately!" Ron said, astounded. "First you hit Malfoy, then you walk out on Professor Trelawney—"

Hermione looked rather flattered.

They went to dinner with everyone else, but did not return to Gryffindor Tower afterward. They went into an empty classroom and Harry pulled out the cloak that he hid in the front of his robes. The four of them went under the cloak and waited until the coast was clear. They walked very close together so that nobody would see them, they crossed the hall on tiptoe beneath the cloak, then walked down the stone front steps into the grounds. The sun was beginning to set.

They soon reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked. He was a minute in answering, and when he did, he looked all around for his visitor, pale-faced and trembling.

"It's us," Harry hissed. "We're wearing the Invisibility Cloak. Let us in and we can take it off."

"Yeh shouldn've come!" Hagrid whispered, but he stood back, as they stepped inside. Hagrid shut the door quickly and Harry pulled off the cloak.

Hagrid was not crying, not did he throw himself upon their necks. The man before them looked helpless, which was worse to watch than tears. Hagrid offered them some tea.

"Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?" Hermione said hesitantly.

"I—I took him outside," Hagrid said, spilling milk all over the table as he filled up the jug. "He's tethered in me pumpkin patch. Thought he oughta see the trees an'—an' smell fresh air—before—"

Hagrid's hand trembled so violently that the milk jug slipped from his grasp and shattered all over the floor.

"I'll do it, Hagrid," Hermione said quickly, hurrying over and starting to clean up the mess.

"There's another one in the cupboard," Hagrid said, sitting down and wiping his forehead on his sleeve. Harry glanced at Claire and Ron, who both looked back hopelessly.

"Isn't there anything anyone can do, Hagrid?" Claire asked fiercely. "Dumbledore—"

"He's tired," Hagrid said. "He's got no power ter overrule the Committee. He told 'em Buckbeak's all right, but they're scared….Yeh know what Lucius Malfoy's like….threatened 'em, I expect….an' the executioner, Macnair, he's an old pal o' Malfoy's…..but it'll be quick an' clean…an' I'll be beside him….."

Hagrid swallowed. "Dumbledore's gonna come down while it—while it happens. Wrote me this mornin'. Said he wants ter—ter be with me. Great man, Dumbledore…."

"We'll stay with you too, Hagrid," Claire began, but Hagrid shook his shaggy head.

"Yeh're ter go back up ter the castle. I told yeh, I don' wan' yeh watchin'. An' yeh shouldn' be down here anyway…..If Fudge an' Dumbledore catch yeh out without permission, Harry, Claire, yeh'll both be in big trouble."

Silent tears ran down Hermione's face, but she hid them from Hagrid, bustling around making tea. Then, as she picked up the milk bottle to pour some into the jug, she let out a shriek.

"Ron! I—I don't believe it—it's Scabbers!"

Ron gaped at her.

"What are you talking about?"

Hermione carried the milk jug over to the table and turned it upside down. With a frantic squeak, and much scrambling to get back inside, Scabbers the rat came sliding out onto the table.

"Scabbers!" Ron said blankly. "Scabbers, what are you doing here?"

He grabbed the struggling rat and held him up to the light, Scabbers looked horrible. He was thinner than ever, large tuffs of hair had fallen out leaving wide bald patches, and he writhed in Ron's hands as though desperate to free himself.

"It's okay, Scabbers!" Ron said. "No cats! There's nothing here to hurt you!"

Hagrid suddenly stood up, his eyes fixed on the window.

"They're comin'…."

Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione whipped around. A group of men were walking down the distant castle steps that included Dumbledore, Fudge, the feeble old Committee member and the executioner, Macnair.

"Yeh gotta go," Hagrid said. "They mustn' find yeh here…..Go now….."

Ron stuffed Scabbers into his pocket and Hermione picked up the cloak.

"I'll let yeh out the back way," Hagrid said.

They followed him to the door to his back garden.

"Go on, get goin'," Hagrid told them.

"Hagrid, we can't—"

"We'll tell them what really happened—"

"They can't kill him—"

"He didn't do anything wrong—"

"Go!" Hagrid said fiercely. "It's bad enough without you lot in trouble an' all!"

They had no choice. As Hermione threw the cloak over Harry, Claire, and Ron, they heard voices at the front of the cabin. Hagrid looked at the place where they had just vanished from sight.

"Go quick," he said hoarsely. "Don' listen…."

And he strode back into his cabin as someone knocked at the front door.

Slowly, in a kind of horrified trance, Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione set off silently around Hagrid's house. AS they reached the other side, the front door closed with a sharp snap.

"Please, let's hurry," Hermione whispered. "I can't stand it, I can't bear it…."

They started up the sloping lawn toward the castle. The sun was sinking fast now; the sky had turned to a clear, purple-tinged grey, but to the west there was a ruby-red glow.

Ron stopped dead.

"Oh, c'mon, Ron," Claire began.

"It's Scabbers—he won't—stay put—"

Ron was bent over, trying to keep Scabbers in his pocket, but the rat was going berserk; squeaking madly, twisting and flailing, trying to sink his teeth into Ron's hand.

"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," Ron hissed.

They heard a door open behind them and men's voices.

"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Hermione breathed.

"Okay—Scabbers, stay put—"

They walked forward; Harry and Claire, liked Hermione, were trying not to listen to the rumble of voices behind them. Ron stopped again.

"I can't hold him—Scabbers, shut up, everyone'll hear us—"

The rat was squeaking wildly, but not loudly enough to cover up the sounds drifting from Hagrid's garden. There was a jumble of indistinct male voice, a silence, and then, without warning, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.

Claire gasped while Hermione swayed on the spot.

"They did it!" Hermione whispered. "I d—don't believe it—they did it!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 6.3K 37
It's the Golden Five's Third Year back in Hogwarts. Between, classes, time turners and Mass Murderer, Sirius Black, escaping from Azkaban to finish w...
1.7K 22 26
Anne and her friends return for their third year at Hogwarts. However, they are being terrorized by the threat of escaped prisoner Sirius Black, whom...
42.2K 1.4K 25
Book cover by @DawnXx :) Amie's in for her third year at Hogwarts with her best friends Hermione, Harry and Ron. This year, a prisoner has escaped fr...
44.4K 1.6K 19
Madison Potter is back in the third installment of the series. This year, a mad assume murder, Sirius Black is on the lose- and is after Harry and Ma...