Harry Potter and Claire Smith...

By MykalaMcGuire

The third book in the series is called Guilty Until Proven Innocent. A mass murderer escapee from Azkaban, Si... More

Mr. Weasley's Wonderful News
The Talk and Egypt
An Interesting Summer
Emotions
Dementors Aren't the Nicest Beings
The Inner Eye and the Hippogriff
The Fender, The Drums, and The Solo
Hogsmeade, Tea, and Conversations
Saxton, Song, Snape, and a Snapped Broom
The Marauder's Map
Kisses, Feuds, Vinyls, and Brooms
The Werewolf's Advice
Dementors and Dates
The Quidditch Cup Final
The Seer's Prediction
Animagi and Boxing Branches
Moony's Tale
The Mask Of Peter Pettigrew
Pettigrew Escapes and Dementors Again
The Time-Turner
Yelling at Boxes
Proof
Summer Plans
Book Four is out!
Rewriting Stories

Crumbling Friendships

254 7 1
By MykalaMcGuire

Chapter 12: Crumbling Friendships

"You're not mad at me too, are you, Claire?" Hermione asked as they walked into their dormitory.

Claire sighed exasperated. "Honestly, I was but I know that you just had Harry and I's best interests at heart."

Hermione seemed relieved. "You don't think they'll be mad at me forever, do you?"

Claire shook her head. "Trust me, once Harry gets his broom back everything'll go back to normal."

"I hope you're right," Hermione bit her lip. "Oh, why can't they just understand I didn't mean any harm when I told Professor McGonagall about your gifts? You'd think they'd be thanking me for preventing one of you from exploding or whatever Black did to curse your gifts!"

"Hermione, calm down," Claire said. "Stop thinking about it, okay? They're both too stubborn to realize why you did it. Like I said before, Harry will get his broom back and I'll get my vinyl and record player and we'll all have a good laugh about this. They'll forgive you in the end and they'll realize they acted like gits for treating you this way."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you, Claire for being so understanding. At least someone sees why I did it."

The rest of the holidays consisted of Claire and Hermione taking refuge in the library. They were looking up information for Buckbeak's trial and hiding from Harry and Ron. Well, Hermione was hiding from them, while Claire was trying to avoid Jason ever since their kiss. Claire hadn't seen Jason since that day and she wanted to keep it that way for the time being. She wasn't really sure how she was going to be able to talk to him after what happened.

It was now the first day back and Hermione and Claire were headed to Defense class. They were the first there. They entered the classroom and saw Professor Lupin. Claire noticed that he still didn't look too well.

"Good afternoon, Professor Lupin," Claire greeted him.

Professor Lupin smiled warmly at them. "Good afternoon, Miss Smith, Miss Granger."

"How was your holiday, sir?" Hermione asked.

"It was uneventful, but nonetheless it gave me time to plan the rest of this year's lesson plan." Professor Lupin said. "And you?"

"I've had better, sir," Hermione said looking solemn.

"Harry and Ron are upset with Hermione," Claire explained.

Lupin raised an eyebrow. "Why are they upset with her?"

"Harry and I received expensive/rare gifts for Christmas with no cards and Hermione thought it was suspicious. So, she reported it to Professor McGonagall who took Harry and my's gifts to be checked for jinxes. Hermione thinks that Black sent the gifts to us. Harry and Ron were upset because Professor McGonagall's going to strip down Harry's Firebolt to make sure there's no jinxes. If you ask me, they're acting really stupid about this whole ordeal." Claire said.

"I see," Lupin said. "Well, Miss Granger I think that was a very smart move on your part to inform Professor McGonagall about those gifts. I would've done the same thing. You can never be too careful."

Hermione blushed slightly at the praise.

"And I think that you are completely right, Miss Smith," Lupin said to Claire. "You're mother would've thought the same thing."

Just then, more students came into the classroom. Claire and Hermione took their seats at one of the desks. Their lesson went by smoothly and as they left the classroom they saw Harry talking to Professor Lupin.

I wonder what that's all about. Claire wondered.

Hermione and Claire walked to the library.

"Hermione," Claire said as they sat down at one of the tables. "Did you notice how Professor Lupin still looks ill?"

Hermione tutted. "Isn't it obvious, Claire?"

"Care to elaborate, Hermione?" Claire said, pulling out her Muggle Studies book.

Hermione dropped her voice to a whisper. "Professor Lupin's a werewolf."

"That's a pretty big assumption to make," Claire said.

Hermione sighed in frustration. "Claire, don't you remember Snape's essay we had to do?"

"What about it?" Claire questioned.

Hermione dug through her bag and pulled out a few sheets of parchments. She shoved them in Claire's hands.

"Here's my essay that I wrote. Read the first paragraph and you'll understand." Hermione then pulled out her Ancient Ruines book and began taking notes.

Claire began reading.

Werewolves are human beings who turn into wolves upon the complete rising of the full moon. A werewolf cannot chose whether or not to transform and would kill even their best friend given the opportunity once transformed. Despite this, they are able to recall everything they have experienced throughout their transformation upon reverting to their human form. The Wolfsbane Potion, invented by Damocles, allows the werewolf to keep their human mind during transformation. Traits of those who are werewolves include cravings for rare meats, long absences between full moons, and health deterioration near full moons.

It then clicked in Claire's mind. Professor Lupin did start to look ill near full moons and would leave for a long time between them. Claire then remembered the potion Snape gave Lupin. It must've been the Wolfsbane Potion Snape gave to Lupin, not poison.

"Oh my Godric," Claire said astonished. "Lupin really is a werewolf. It makes perfect sense really. Do you think Dumbledore knows?"

"Of course," Hermione said. "but I wonder why he'd let Lupin teach since he's a werewolf."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Claire said. "I mean, the Ministry would probably disagree but I think they're just misunderstood. Sort of like Buckbeak. You're not going to tell anyone, right?"

"No," Hermione replied. "There's no reason to. He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had. He's even better than Lockhart."

Claire faked a gasped. "Merlin, did Hermione Granger just say that Professor Lupin was a better teacher than Lockhart?"

"Oh, shut up," Hermione smiled.

Hermione continued taking notes. Claire opened up her Muggle Studies book and began writing an essay on why Muggles needed electricity.

An hour passed and Claire had just finished her essay. She began to pack up and looked over at Hermione who seemed to be stressed. Claire noticed that there was four other books out in front of Hermione as she took notes at lightning speed.

"Hermione, it's about time for dinner. Why don't you take a break?" Claire asked concerned.

"I can't," Hermione said, not looking up from her books. "I have to finish taking notes. I have so much to do."

"Hermione, maybe you should drop some of these classes." Claire suggested. "There's no way that you're going to be able to handle all of these assignments for the rest of the year."

"Don't be absurd," Hermione said dismissively. "I've made it this far through the year. I'll make it for a few more months."

"Hermione—"

"Claire, I said I was fine! Now, leave me alone!" Hermione snapped earning her a "shhh!" from Madam Pince.

"Fine, then. I'll see you later." Claire muttered walking out of the library.

Claire turned the corner when she bumped into someone.

"Sorry," Claire said.

Claire then recognized the someone as Jason. Claire's cheeks burned and she quickly turned the other direction but not before Jason grabbed her wrist.

"Claire, I need to talk to you," Jason said. "about what happened in the Room of Requirement."

"I'm pretty sure I know exactly what happened," Claire said. "There's nothing to talk about."

"Claire, just hear me out, please," Jason looked into her eyes.

Claire bit her lip and then sighed frustrated. "Fine. You have five minutes."

"I'm sorry that I kissed you out of the blue, ok? I haven't been completely honest with you, Claire. I've never wanted to be your friend. I've wanted to be something more than that." Jason began. "I really like you Claire and I know I've made several mistakes, but I'll just come out with it. Would you go out with me?"

"Jason, I—I," Claire didn't know what to say.

"How about this," Jason said. "we go on one date. That's it okay. To the next Hogsmeade day or anything you'd like and if you don't enjoy yourself then we could go back to being friends."

"Jason, I don't know, I mean I—" Claire cut off thinking about for a second. She sighed. "Alright, fine. The next Hogsmeade day we'll go together. I'll meet you outside Honeydukes."

Jason smiled. "Alright. So, were you heading to the Great Hall?"

"Yea," Claire replied.

"Want to walk together?" Jason said.

"Sure," Claire said.

Claire didn't feel as awkward with Jason anymore as they started to talk about music.

"I'm surprised that you know muggle bands being a Slytherin and all," Claire said, as Jason told her his favorite bands which were Nirvana, Oasis, and Metallica.

"I guess I'm full of surprises," Jason smirked.

"Oh, definitely," Claire agreed. "I actually got a signed copy of Nirvana's Nevermind on Vinyl for Christmas."

"Really?" Jason's eyes grew wide. "You should show me it."

"I can't," Claire said. "At least not until Professor McGonagall gives it back to me."

Jason looked confused and Claire realized she didn't tell him about how Hermione had told Professor McGonagall about Harry and her's Christmas gifts. After she explained, he seemed to understand.

"I think it was a good idea that Hermione did that." Jason said.

"She'd be glad to hear you agree with her," Claire replied.

"Where is she by the way?" Jason asked.

"In the library. She's trying to complete all her homework for her classes." Claire said, as they entered the Great Hall together. "Well, I guess I'll see you later, Jason."

"Bye, Claire," Jason went to sit over at the Slytherin table, who were eyeing the two of them suspiciously. In fact, all of the houses were staring at them suspiciously. Claire ignored it and sat down at the Gryffindor table. Next thing she knew, Harry and Ron sat in front of her. Claire noticed Ron looked as mad as Fred had been the other day. She also noticed that Harry also seemed to be upset which she didn't know why.

"Oh, so now you two want to talk to me?" Claire glared at Harry and Ron. "I thought you both were avoiding me because I sided with Hermione."

"What were you doing with Saxton?" Ron questioned.

Claire ignored him and continued to pile food onto her plate.

"Well?" Ron questioned.

"It's none of your business," Claire snapped. "Now, leave me alone and let me enjoy my food in peace."

Harry then blurted out, "You were snogging him again, weren't you?"

Claire was drinking water when Harry said this and choked a bit.

"What do you mean again?" Ron questioned looking furiously at Claire.

"How did you know about that?" Claire glared at Harry. Then she realized who told him. She was going to have some strong words with Hermione when she got back from the library.

Ron looked furious and he stood up from his seat. Claire stood up to.

"What do you think you're going to do?" Claire questioned.

"I'm going to go have a talk with Saxton." Ron said.

"No, you're not, Ron. Bud out of my life. I'm a big girl and can take care of myself, alright?" Claire was peeved. "There's no reason for you to talk to him. He hasn't done anything wrong. If I hear you did something, I guarantee you will regret it."

Claire was no longer hungry and marched out of the Great Hall frustrated with her three friends. Hermione had told Harry about the kiss. Harry blurted it out to Ron. And now Ron was trying to kill or seriously injury Jason. Claire climbed the stairs to Gryffindor tower. It was only a matter of time before Ron would tell the twins. She came upon Sir Cadogan's portrait. His face lit up with glee.

"Fair Maiden, how are—"

"Yellow Goblets," Claire said, not wanting to talk.

The portrait door swung open and Claire walked into the common room and saw Hermione sitting in the corner studying. Claire's eyes narrowed.

"You!" Claire exclaimed, making Hermione jump.

"Oh, Claire, you—" Hermione noticed Claire looked furious. "Are you alright?"

"You tell me, how would you feel if your friend promised you they wouldn't tell anyone about your first kiss because certain people would react badly if they found out, then that friend who promised you they wouldn't tell anyone, ended up telling someone, and that someone they told told the person who your friend knew would react badly to it?" Claire said.

Hermione's eyes widened. "Claire, listen, you told me not to tell Fred, George, or Ron and I didn't. I told Harry."

"How does that make it any better?!" Claire shouted.

"If you would just listen—"

"NO!" Claire exclaimed. "From this point forward it'll be like we were never friends."

Claire marched upstairs. Hermione watched as Claire left the common room to go upstairs. She didn't mean to make Claire mad. She needed to tell someone about the kiss because she didn't have a good feeling about Jason. Hermione didn't know what to do, but she wished in that moment she'd have never told Harry about it because she'd lost one of her best friends.

Drama! This chapter reminded me of those Soap Operas. It was interesting to write to say the least. Do you think Claire had a right to be mad with Harry, Ron, and Hermione? What did you think of this chapter? I know it was kind of short but that's because it's sort of a filler chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.3K 1.7K 29
[Sherlock/Harry Potter/Wednesday crossover] Book 3: The Prisoner of Azkaban The summer holidays have been filled with adventures and mystery for Y/N...
18.4K 483 17
Jane Lupin grew up with a loving father in a comfortable nice home with fantastic friends and went to the greatest school for witchcraft and wizardry...
6.2K 159 15
Follow Claire Smith (daughter of a Time Lord named the Doctor and Sirius Black's twin sister Carina Black) as she attends Hogwarts and becomes friend...
9.4K 327 17
[Book 3] The story follows Anna's third year at Hogwarts and her quest to uncover the truth about her past, including the connection recently-escaped...