Harry Potter and Claire Smith...

By MykalaMcGuire

Claire finds a mysterious diary that talks back to her. At first she's hesitant, but as she writes the diary... More

Summer with the Weasleys
Jailbreak & Don't Mess with Mother Hen
Goldilocks at Flourish and Botts
The New Kid and the Mysterious Diary
Howlers and Again with Goldilocks
Sick of Slytherins
Headaches and A Death Party
Let's Play Detective
Distractions, Duels, and Dilemmas
A Furry Problem
Diaries and Valentines
Hermione's Realization
The Monster Within
Confronting Demons
The Heir of Slytherin
Back to Normal
Book Three's Out!
Rewriting Series

Gullible Goldilocks Casts Boneless Spell

228 5 0
By MykalaMcGuire

Chapter 9: Gullible Goldilocks Casts Boneless Spell

Since the pixie incident, Lockhart had not brought live creatures to class. Instead, he read passages from his books to them, and sometimes reenacted some of the more dramatic bits. He usually picked Harry to help him with these reconstructions much to Claire's amusement; so far, Harry had been forced to play a simple Transylvanian villager whom Lockhart had cured of a Babbling Curse, a yeti with a head cold, and a vampire who had been unable to eat anything except lettuce since Lockhart dealt with him.

"Books open," Lockhart said.

The students obliged.

"Now, who would like to be the werewolf?" Lockhart said.

"Get ready, Harry," Claire teased him.

"Harry, come up here, my boy!" Lockhart said.

Harry was hauled to the front of the class. He desperately wanted to be anywhere but here at the moment. If he wasn't trying to keep Lockhart in a good mood, he would have refused to do it.

"Nice loud howl, Harry-exactly-and then, if you'll believe it, I pounced-like this-slammed him to the floor-thus-with one hand, I managed to hold him down-" Lockhart went on and on about how he defeated the werewolf.

Claire pretended she was writing notes but in reality she was writing in her diary.

I think my brain is turning to mush, Tom. Lockhart is completely full of himself. I wish this class would end already.

The bell rang and Claire wrote Goodbye to Tom before putting her diary away.

"Homework-compose a poem about my defeat of the Wagga Wagga Werewolf! Signed copies of Magical Me to the author of the best one!" Lockhart said as students began leaving class.

Claire went over to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Ready?" Harry muttered.

"Wait till everyone's gone," Hermione said nervously. "All right…."

"We'll wait outside for you," Claire said.

Harry, Ron, and Claire waited outside Lockhart's office for Hermione. Hermione emerged from the classroom a few minutes later.

"Thank you, Professor Lockhart," Hermione said.

"No, problem at all. The least I could do for the best student of the year." Lockhart said.

Claire rolled her eyes as Hermione blushed slightly.

Lockhart then turned to Harry. "So, Harry," Lockhart said, while Hermione folded the note with fumbling fingers and slipped it into her bag. "Tomorrow's the first Quidditch match of the season, I believe? Gryffindor against Slytherin, is it not? I hear you're a useful player. I was a Seeker, too. I was asked to try for the National Squad, but preferred to dedicate my life to the eradication of the Dark Forces. Still, if ever you feel the need for a little private training, don't hesitate to ask. Always happy to pass on my expertise to less able players…"

Harry made an indistinct noise in his throat and then the four friends left for the library.

"I don't believe it," he said, as the four of them examined the signature on the note. "He didn't even look at the book we wanted."

"That's because he's a brainless git," Claire said. "But who cares, we've got what we needed-"

"He is not a brainless git," Hermione said shrilly as they half ran toward the library.

"Just because he said you were the best student of the year.." Ron muttered.

They dropped their voices as they entered the muffled stillness of the library. Madam Pince, the librarian, was a thin, irritable woman who looked like an underfed vulture.

"Moste Potente Potions?" she repeated suspiciously, trying to take the note from Hermione; but Hermione wouldn't let go.

"I was wondering if I could keep it," Hermione said breathlessly.

"Oh, come on," Ron said, wrenching it from her grasp and thrusting it at Madam Pince. "We'll get you another autograph. Lockhart'll sign anything if it stands still long enough."

Madam Pince inspected the note to the light, as though determining whether or not it was a fraud. She stalked away and came back several minutes later carrying a large and moldy-looking book. Hermione put it carefully into her bag and they left, trying not to walk too quickly or look too guilty.

Five minutes later, they were barricaded in Moaning Myrtle's out-of-order bathroom once again. Moaning Myrtle was crying noisily in her stall but they ignored her, and she them. Hermione opened the book and skimmed through the pages trying to find the potion.

"Here it is," Hermione said excitedly as she found the page headed The Polyjuice Potion. It was decorated with drawings of people halfway through transforming into other people. Harry sincerely hoped the artist had imagined the looks of intense pain on their faces.

"This is the most complicated potion I've ever seen," Hermione said as they scanned the recipe. "Lacewing flies, leeches, fluxweed, and knotgrass," she murmured, running her finger down the list of ingredients. Claire looked at the page.

"Most of this stuff is in the student cup-board." Claire said. "However, a few will be tricky to get like shredded skin of a boomslang, powdered horn of a bicorn, and a bit of whoever we need to change into."

"Excuse me?" Ron said sharply. "What d'you mean, a bit of whoever we're changing into? I'm drinking nothing with Crabbe's toenails in it-"

"It doesn't have to be toenails, idiot," Claire said. "It can be a piece of hair."

"And that's better?" Ron said.

Claire shrugged. "Hey, would you rather have the taste of toenails or hair in your mouth?"

Hermione continued on as though she hadn't heard Ron and Claire's conversation.

"We don't have to worry about those yet, though, because we add those bits last…." Hermione said.

"D'you realize how much we're going to have to steal, Hermione? Shredded skin of a boomslang, that's definitely not in students' cupboard. What're we going to do, break into Snape's private stores? I don't know if this is a good idea…" Harry said.

Hermione shut the book with a snap.

"Well, if you three are going to chicken out, fine," she said. "I don't want to break the rules, you know. I think threatening Muggle-borns is far worse than brewing up a difficult potion. But if you don't want to find out if it's Malfoy or Saxton, I'll go straight to Madam Pince now and hand the book back in-"

"I never thought I'd see the day when you'd be persuading us to break rules," Ron said. "Alright, we'll do it. But not toenails, okay?"

"How long will it take to make, anyway?" Harry said.

Hermione opened the book again. "Well, since the fluxweed has got to be picked at the full moon and the lacewings have got to be stewed for twenty-one days..I'd say it'd be ready in about a month, if we can get all the ingredients."

"A month?" Ron said. "Malfoy could have attacked half the Muggle-borns in the school by then!"

"Well, it's not like we have any other options." Claire said. "So, let's get this plan into action."

As Hermione and Claire checked to see if the coast was clear for them to leave the bathroom, Ron muttered to Harry, "It'll be a lot less hassle if you can just knock Malfoy off his broom tomorrow."

That night in the girls dorm, Claire noticed that Hermione seemed to be on edge.

"Hermione?" Claire asked.

Hermione jumped. "Oh, sorry, Claire. You just startled me is all."

"Are you alright?" Claire asked, taking in Hermione's uneasiness.

Hermione sighed before sitting on the bed.

"To be completely honest, no, I'm not," Hermione said.

"It's because of the Heir of Slytherin, isn't it?" Claire said more as a statement than question.

Hermione nodded. "It's just that I'm truly frighten."

"Well, that's understandable." Claire said. "Don't worry, though, Hermione. We're going to find out who this Heir of Slytherin is and put a stop to him before anyone else gets hurt. Besides, you know that Ron, Harry, and I won't let anything happen to you. We'll stick by you until the very end."

Hermione smiled slightly. She got up and gave Claire a hug.

"Thank you, Claire, for just being here." Hermione said. "I'm proud to say you're my best friend."

"Right back at you, Hermione." Claire said.

The next morning, Claire and Hermione met up with Ron and Harry. They went down to breakfast and their fellow Gryffindors were wishing Harry luck for his Quidditch game. Claire noticed Harry seemed to be even more nervous than his first Quidditch match last year. As eleven o'clock approached, the whole school started to make its way down to the Quidditch stadium. It was a muggy sort of day with a hint of thunder in the air. Claire, Ron, and Hermione came hurrying over to wish Harry good luck before he entered the locker room.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione hugged him.

"Good luck, mate," Ron said.

Hermione and Ron then waited for Claire.

"Don't worry, Harry," Claire reassured him. "You'll do fine. Just knock Malfoy off his broom."

Claire hugged Harry before he left. Harry ignored the weird feeling in his stomach as Claire hugged him. Must be the nerves. He thought to himself. Claire caught up with Hermione and Ron. She noticed Hermione had a weird look on her face.

"What's wrong with you?" Claire questioned.

"Oh, nothing," Hermione smirked knowingly.

Claire ignored Hermione, completely oblivious to whatever she was hinting at.

"Well, come on," Claire said. "We'd better hurry if we're going to get good seats."

They managed to get good seats where they had a view of everything. The Gryffindor and Slytherin teams soon walked out on the field. The crowd erupted into a roar of noise. Madam Hooch, the Quidditch teacher, made Flint and Wood shake hands. Madam Hooch told them to ready their brooms. She soon blew her whistle and with a roar from the crowd, the fourteen players rose toward the leaden sky. Claire noticed Harry fly higher than any of them, squinting around for the Snitch. Claire then saw Malfoy shooting underneath Harry as though showing off the speed of his broom. Prat. Claire thought.

Suddenly, one of the Bludgers came pelting towards Harry. Claire held her breath. He managed to avoid it, just barely.

"That was a close one," Hermione said.

"No kidding," Claire said.

Claire saw George give one of the Bludgers a powerful whack toward one of the Slytherin players. But the weirdest thing happened, the Bludger changed direction in midair and shot straight at Harry. Harry dropped quickly to avoid it, and George managed to hit it hard toward Malfoy. Once again, the Bludger swerved like a boomerang and shot at Harry's head. Harry put on a burst of speed and zoomed toward the other end of the field. Fred was waiting for the Bludger at the other end. Harry ducked as Fred swung at the Bludger with all his might; the Bludger was knocked off course. Fred yelled happily, "Gotcha!", but he was wrong, the Bludger pelted after him once more and Harry was forced to fly off at full speed. It began to rain. The Slytherin team took advantage of the Bludger distracting the Gryffindor team.

"Slytherin lead, sixty points to zero-" Lee Jordan said.

Wood called time out.

"Someone's tampered with the Bludger!" Ron said angrily.

"Who would do such a thing?" Hermione questioned.

"I don't know, but I think Harry has bad luck with his first Quidditch matches." Claire said.

"I'll say," Ron agreed. "Last year it was his broom being jinxed and now it's the Bludgers."

"I hope they figured out what the hell's wrong with that Bludger." Claire said. "If they don't Harry's going to end up in a full body cast before he even finds the Snitch."

Madam Hooch blew the whistle and the players resumed the game. Claire noticed a Bludger chasing Harry and Fred and George weren't doing anything to stop it.

"What the hell?" Claire said, angrily. "Why aren't George and Fred taking care of the Bludger?"

"Knowing Harry he probably told them not to worry about him," Hermione said.

Malfoy seemed to catch up to Harry. Malfoy seemed to be laughing and Harry had spotted the Snitch. Suddenly, a Bludger smashed into his elbow. Claire winced at the sight.

"Bloody hell!" Ron said.

Harry then saw the Snitch right behind Malfoy and Malfoy, thinking Harry was going to attack him, moved out of the way as Harry sped towards the Snitch. Harry now was only gripping the broom with his legs as he headed for the ground.

"Harry!" Hermione and Claire yelled.

"Gryffindor wins! Potter caught the Snitch!" Lee Jordan exclaimed.

Ron, Hermione, and Claire ran down to the field. There was a Bludger that was about to crush Harry. Claire yelled, "Finite Incantatem!" making the Bludger explode into a gold dust. Claire dropped to her knees next to Harry.

"Thanks," Harry said.

"No problem. Are you alright?" Claire said.

Harry was about to reply but Claire saw his eyes look over her shoulder and he moaned.

"Oh, no, not you!" Claire turned around to see Lockhart.

"Doesn't know what he's saying," Lockhart said loudly to the anxious crowd of Gryffindors pressing around them. "Not to worry, Harry. I'm about to fix your arm."

"No!" Harry said. "I'll keep it like this, thanks…."

He tried to sit up, but the pain was terrible. Claire could hear a familiar clicking noise.

"Colin, now's not the time to be taking pictures!" Claire said loudly.

"Lie back, Harry," Lockhart said soothingly. "It's a simple charm I've used countless times-"

"Why don't we just take him to the hospital wing where he can be treated by a professional who deals with these things?" Claire said trying to keep her anger in control.

"He really should," Wood said, who couldn't help grinning even though his Seeker was injured. "Great capture, Harry, really spectacular, your best yet, I'd say-" Wood caught sight of Claire's glare towards him and stopped talking.

"Stand back," Lockhart said, who was rolling up his jade-green sleeves.

"No-don't-" Harry said weakly.

Claire had pulled her wand out but someone bumped into Claire causing her to drop her wand. By the time Claire got her wand back, she couldn't do anything as Lockhart had already 'mended' Harry's arm. Well, 'mended' being a very loose term. Harry's arm looked like there were no bones in it at all. Claire was fuming.

"Ah," Lockhart said. "Yes. Well, that can sometimes happen."

Only when you do it. Claire thought angrily.

"But the point is, the bones are no longer broken. That's the thing to bear in mind. So, Harry, just toddle up to the hospital wing-ah, Mr. Weasley, Ms. Granger, Ms. Smith, would you escort him?-and Madam Pomfrey will be able to-er-tidy you up a bit." Lockhart said.

"You should've come straight to me!" Pomfrey raged, holding Harry's limp arm. "I can mend the bones in a second-but growing them back-"

"You will be able to, won't you?" Harry said desperately.

"Of course, but it will be painful," Madam Pomfrey said grimly, throwing Harry a pair of pajamas. "You'll have to stay the night…"

Claire and Hermione waited outside the curtain drawn around Harry's bed while Ron helped him into his pajamas. It took a while to stuff the rubbery, boneless arm into a sleeve.

"How can you stick up for Lockhart, now, Hermione, eh?" Ron called through the curtain. "If Harry wanted deboning he would have asked."

"Anyone can make a mistake," Hermione said.

"Hermione, Lockhart could've killed Harry!" Claire exclaimed.

"But he didn't," Hermione said. "And it doesn't hurt anymore, does it, Harry?"

"No," Harry said, getting into bed. "But it doesn't do anything else either."

Claire, Hermione, and Pomfrey came around the curtain. Pomfrey was holding a large bottle of something called Skele-Gro.

"You're in for a rough night," she said, pouring out a steaming beakerful and handing it to him. "Regrowing bones is a nasty business."

Harry took a sip of it and immediately spit it out and started to cough.

"Well, what did you expect? Pumpkin juice?" And with that Madam Pomfrey left, leaving Harry to take the rest of his medicine.

"Look on the bright side, Harry," Claire said. "At least we won."

"That was some catch you made. Malfoy's face….he looked ready to kill…" Ron said.

"I want to know how he fixed that Bludger," Hermione said darkly.

"I guess we'll have to add that to the list of questions we'll ask him when we've taken the Polyjuice Potion," Claire said.

"I hope it tastes better than this stuff…" Harry said, gesturing to the Skele-Gro.

"If it's got bits of Slytherins in it? You've got to be joking," Ron said.

Suddenly, the door to the hospital wing burst open revealing the filthy and soaking wet Gryffindor team who had come to see Harry.

"Unbelievable flying, Harry," George said. "I've just seen Marcus Flint yelling at Malfoy. Something about having the Snitch on top of his head and not noticing. Malfoy didn't seem to happy."

They had brought food and drinks saying they had come to celebrate but Madam Pomfrey came over, shouting, "This boy need rest, he's got thirty-three bones to regrow! All of you out! OUT!"

They all said goodbye to Harry and left. When they returned to the Gryffindor common room, the Gryffindor team had went up to their dorms. Claire, Ron, and Hermione stayed in the common room for a few hours. They soon noticed it was getting late and Ron went up to his dorm.

"Are you coming Claire?" Hermione asked getting up from the couch.

Claire shook her head. "No, I'm not tired. I'll be up there later."

"Are you sure you're not tired?" Hermione asked. "Because you certainly look tired."

"Yea, I'm sure. I'll be up there in 20 minutes or so." Claire said.

"Alright," Hermione said. "Goodnight, Claire."

"Night, Hermione." Claire said.

Hermione then went up to her dorm. Claire noticed she was the only one in the common room. She took out her diary and began writing in it.

Do I have a story to tell you, Tom.

What exactly is your story?

Well, today was the first Quidditch match of the season (Gryffindor VS. Slytherin) and Harry (he plays Seeker for the Gryffindor team) played in it. However, it seemed like the Bludgers were tampered with. They kept going after Harry as though he had a magnetic pull on them.

Is he alright?

For the most part. One of the Bludgers ended up breaking his arm when he caught the Snitch. Then, of course, Goldilocks (Lockhart) thinks he can step in and save the day.

What happened?

He ended up removing all the bones from Harry's arm! Thanks to that brainless git, Harry has to stay overnight in the hospital wing!

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you find out who tampered with the Bludgers?

No, but Hermione, Ron, Harry, and I suspect it was Malfoy.

Why?

Malfoy and Harry don't get along at all. It wouldn't be beneath him to do something like this. All I know is that a lot of weird things have been happening at Hogwarts lately and I have a feeling the tampered Bludgers play a part with this whole Heir of Slytherin/ Chamber of Secrets thing.

Chamber of Secrets?

I didn't tell you about the Chamber of Secrets opening?

No, you didn't. It hasn't been opened for fifty years.

Fifty years? You mean, it's been opened before?

Yes, when I went to Hogwarts the Chamber had been opened.

Did you find out who-

"Claire!" Hermione had just come down to the common room. "It's getting late. You need to go to bed."

Claire rolled her eyes. "Fine. I'm coming. I'll be up in a sec."

Hermione went back upstairs.

Sorry, Tom. I talk to you in the morning about the Chamber-

Suddenly, Claire heard the sound of footsteps. Claire groaned annoyed.

"Hermione," Claire said. "I told you I'll be up there in a sec-"

Claire turned around and all went black.

In the hospital wing, Harry had just woken up to Dobby the house-elf telling him that he'd worn him not to come back to school this year. Their conversation led to Harry figuring out that not only was Dobby the one who had stopped him and Ron from going through the barrier to get to Platform 9 and 3/4 but was also the one who had tampered with the Bludgers. Now, Harry was trying to get answers as to why this house-elf felt that he was in danger.

"I don't suppose you're going to tell me exactly why you wanted me sent home in pieces?" Harry said angrily.

"Ah, if Harry Potter only knew!" Dobby groaned, tears dripping onto his ragged pillowcase. "If he knew what he means to us, to the lowly, the enslaved of the magical world! Dobby remembers how it was when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was at the height of his powers, sir! We house-elves were treated like vermin, sir! Of course, Dobby is still treated like that, sir. But mostly, sir, life has improved for my kind since you triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Harry Potter survived, and the Dark Lord's power was broken, and it was a new dawn, sir, and Harry Potter shone like a beacon of hope for those of us who thought the Dark days would never end, sir….And now, at Hogwarts, terrible things are to happen, are perhaps happening already, and Dobby cannot let Harry Potter stay here now that history is to repeat itself, now that the Chamber of Secrets is open once more-"

Dobby froze, horrorstruck, then he grabbed Harry's water jug from his side table and cracked it over his head, toppling out of sight. A second later, he crawled back onto the bed, cross-eyed, muttering, "Bad Dobby, very bad Dobby…"

"So there is a Chamber of Secrets?" Harry whispered. "And-did you say it's been opened beforeTell me, Dobby!"

He seized the elf's bony wrist as Dobby's hand inched toward the water jug.

"Sir, Dobby cannot tell," the elf stammered. "Dark deeds are planned in this place, but Harry Potter must not be here when they happen- go home, Harry Potter, go home. Harry Potter must not meddle in this, sir, 'tis too dangerous-"

"Who is it Dobby?" Harry said, keeping a firm hold on Dobby's arm to keep him from hitting himself with the water jug again. "Who's opened it? Who opened it last time?"

"Dobby musn't tell!" squealed the house-elf. "Go home, Harry Potter, go home!"

"I'm not going anywhere!" Harry said fiercely. "One of my best friends is Muggle-born; she'll be first in line if the Chamber really has opened-"

"Harry Potter risks his own life for his friends!" Dobby moaned in a kind of miserable ecstasy. "So noble! So valiant! But he must save himself, he must, Harry Potter must not-"

Suddenly, Dobby froze, his bat-like ears quivering. Harry had heard it, too. Dobby disappeared with a loud crack. Harry began to hear footsteps coming closer to the hospital wing. He laid back down in his bed, closing his eyes, pretending to be asleep. He could hear Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore talking. Harry heard the springs of one of the nearby beds creak as though someone was laid on the bed.

"Get Madam Pomfrey," Harry heard Dumbledore whisper.

"What happened?" Madam Pomfrey whispered to Dumbledore.

"There's been another attack," Dumbledore said.

Harry's breath hitched in his throat. Who was attacked? He thought to himself.

"Perhaps he managed to get a picture of his attacker…" Professor McGonagall suggested.

Harry heard something open and heard what sounded like a jet of steam hissing.

"What does this mean, Albus?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"It means our students are in great danger, Minerva. Mr. Creevey was fortunate. If not for this camera he would surely be dead." Dumbledore said.

"What should I tell the staff, Albus?" Professor McGonagall said.

"Tell them the truth. Tell them Hogwarts is no longer safe. Tell them it's as we feared. The Chamber of Secrets is indeed open again." Dumbledore said.

Harry couldn't believe it. The Chamber of Secrets was actually opened and it wasn't the first time.

"But, Albus….who?" Professor McGonagall questioned.

"The question is not who," Dumbledore said, "The question is, how…."

Harry was going to have a lot to talk about with Claire, Ron, and Hermione tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.7K 2.3K 39
The second instalment of my Dark Lords Daughter series. When the chamber of Secrets is opened in Hogwarts Anna has to face the realisation that she m...
27.4K 756 24
After Dumbledore's death and Snape becoming Headmaster, Jenni tries to keep her brother, friends, and family safe from the dark lord himself, even if...
31.4K 798 16
Y/N now know her real Name and parents but her adoptive parents told her to keep quiet and wait a year Y/N don't know why but now she has a problem w...
442 4 32
Second Year - The Chambers of Secrets has been opened, purifying muggle-borns. It has been rumored that the Slytherin Heir opens them. Phoenix alre...