(Hiatus) Loving through Time

By moodyrara

~ On Indefinite Hiatus More

A/N
CHAPTER 1 - Anika 2.0
CHAPTER 2 - Watch where you walk!
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4 - A sweet delicacy
CHAPTER 5 - Dark stranger
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7 - The new guy
CHAPTER 8 - One step closer to the truth
CHAPTER - 9 I'm sorry okay, I overslept!
Chapter 10 - The flight of daydreams and nightmares
Chapter 11. The party awaits.
Chapter 12 - The dance
Chapter 13 - Dance, Wine & a punch
Chapter 14 - Just plain amazing, Annika
Chapter 15 - Two adorable Owls
Chapter 16 - Homecoming
Chapter 18 - The B Word
CHAPTER 19 Our Secret
CHAPTER 20 A key to the past

Chapter 17 - An annoying mystery

155 27 3
By moodyrara

I find the stairs, picking up the call, "Hello?" A deep, manly voice speaks.

I don't speak, waiting for his introduction.

"Ma'am, Lakshman speaking?" I pull the phone back to check if the contact reads Zoe. It is her office extension. Then who is this guy?

"I work in the IT department at your office. Zoe ma'am gave me some work a few days back. She told me to call you if I found something."

Ohh. The IT guy I hired. To find out about my mysterious assistant, "So? What did you find?"

He pauses for a second. Such a tell. Whatever he says next is going to be a lie.

"Nothing," he says, his voice unwavering.

I smile, "Are you sure, Lakshman?"

"Yes ma'am. His background is too clean. Like there is no information about him anywhere."

"Okay, nothing related to his surname too? Like we had an opponent with that surname? Is he one of them?"

"No. That's the thing. He is nowhere near any Shivay Malhotras. None of his assets are named after him. They are chained to someone named, SSO."

"SSO," my eyes narrow. What could that stand for? So......No. That's another day's problem. At least now I know he's not conspiring with the enemy. That still leaves the card...

Shivay...Why is he so mysterious?

"Ma'am?" Lakshman calls, snapping me back to the still rusty hospital stairs.

"Yes," I clear my throat, "So keep digging. If you find anything, let me know. Thank you."

"Uh," He stutters, and I know why. I don't usually thank my employees. Not before, I didn't.

"Okay, then. Get back to work," regaining my stern voice.

"Yes ma'am," he said, ending the call.

I go back to where I left Gauri and the others. But there are none except Omkara, whom I am in no mood to talk to.

The canteen! The others must be there.

But as I take another step, I stumble.

"Annika!" Om catches onto my arm, steadying me on my feet.

"I-I haven't eaten since the flight. And to add- the concept of jetlag isn't doing me any favors," my hand is loosely drawing things in the air.

Om's eyes are wide but he doesn't say anything. He just helps me walk up to the canteen and vanishes leaving me at the doors before I can say anything. Weird. Everyone is weird.

Rudra is still ordering, judging the menu.

I gather all my remaining energy in settling in the table beside him, "Okay. Let's see the starters first," snatching the menu.

"So we will take some spring rolls, and those tiny cheesy things that melt as you put them in your mouth- cheese balls!" Gauri is hiding a smile as Rudy's jaw drops.

"I think you'll take care of him just fine. I'll check on uncle," she whispers.

"Excuse me, lady? You're not having?"

"I had some on the plane. I don't feel hungry now," she mumbled. I nod as she leaves, coming back to Rudra.

"Now main course, what will you have my brother??"

I take the risk of extending the menu to him, hoping he'd snatch it.

He doesn't, "Okay. I'll just order something for you then.

Rudra pulls it out of my hand, just as good, I already feel full, "One grilled cheese and a lasagna."

"Now you're talking like an Oberoi."

I see the waiter taking down running notes on our table, "For dessert, I'll have two Rasgullas, and rudy you have to try the gajar ka Halwa here. It is heaven."

He squints his baggy eyes, "How do you know they serve good halwa here?"

O shit.

"My friend told me about it," even I know that is crazy, he knows I hardly have any friends. I only have family, "A work friend actually."

"Accha," he joins his lips in acknowledgment, still reading the menu. Then we wait for the food while I show him some photos Tarun sent.

Not many are there, except from the dance.
After the spring roll arrives, slowly the others do too.

One bite after another, all of it is instantly over. He even burps. My big laugh fills the almost empty room. I pay with my card and then we walk back.

"Didi! I have to get my friends here for this."

"Girl-friends?" I round my arm around his shoulder.

Rudra pauses, "Have you got any of your dates in a hospital canteen?"

"I've had worse. Plane dates with someone who wasn't even my date," I grinned. But he's not listening, his eyes are stuck on the roof, dreaming

"But the gajar ka halwa," he blows a chef's kiss in the air, "No wonder you got one packed."

The tiny polythene dangled in my hand, "Ae, don't stare at it too long. My stomach will pain or else."

He laughs, heartily and some of his tiredness fleets away. We reach 406 sooner than anticipated.

Gauri turns, "Annika. I think you should stay at my place for a few days. At least until uncle is back on his feet."

Rudra and I exchange a look, "I've talked to Om also," she said. I flinch a little.

"I know I know. You're not talking to him, he lied to you. But he's still your friend."

I don't reject the notion. But I don't support it either.

"Gauri I'm thinking of staying here tonight. Maybe in the morning?"

"No. No. You should sleep for some time," she runs a hand over my face, such a dramatic bff.

"Okay," I almost say goodbye.

"Ah, Annika. I got your bags packed. Some books, some clothes. I'll make sure they reach home around the same time you do."
I see her looking over my shoulder at Om, expectantly, maybe she'll send him to do the heavy lifting. Good. Let him have some punishment for all his lying.

I wrap her in a nerve-racking hug, the act- being an unsaid thank you. Because a thank you isn't enough for her, "See you tomorrow, Gauri."

Rudy is seated on a bench near dad's room, on some sort of guard. I hear a nurse's murmurs passing the reception, and I ask her for the hospital receipt.

But it has already been paid. I check the form's signature, it is literally scribbles but yet familiar. I instinctively run my fingers over it. My eyes flash red as I realized whose sign it was. It was Shivay's. He has paid the entire bill.

"He paid in cash or.."

"Cheque, he signed for it as he tore it off. That man almost gave it blank," she laughs. I felt a fire grow in my stomach.

My eyes shoot up to the nurse, as I paint a smile, "Can you give me any contact info of his? He has paid for my dad. I need to, you know, thank him."

Even the IT guy couldn't find anything on him. But if Shivay had willingly given it up, the information would some guarantee. Some truth. I had to know.

The nurse boss, "We cannot give you any personal information as he asked us not to," my face fell, as she offered, "But we could give you something. He left a referral address, in case there's an issue with the cheque," she smiled.

The note read, "S.S.O - Retro Apartments, Navi-Mumbai."

SSO. What is it? Maybe it's a block code. I can call him. Shivay would just spin another web of lies or worse- outright refuse.

I have to see for myself. I pocket the note safely, heading to Gauri's.
She lives a little far from the hospital but her locality is quieter than any home I've had or. . remembered.

Gauri's home is neat and comfortable. It isn't too big, not too small. After taking a bath, I sit quietly by the window. My old jeans are still fallen by the couch. I pick them, folding them. I have very few clothes here, and if I don't get more until tomorrow, I can't risk washing these right now.

As I fold them, a piece of paper falls out of its pocket. Shivay's address. Such an easy one. Once dad is better, I'll raid his place.

What if I find nothing though? Lakshman found him clean. A bit too clean. Yet.

Is he nothing but my assistant? Maybe he is just that. But I've met him. But he won't tell me when.

My hands itch my hair. Such a mystery he is. An annoying mystery.

I hear water hitting the ground. Did I leave the tap on?

No. The windows have droplets and dew on them. Before I can inspect it further, I hear a loud knock. The bells don't work probably.

When I open the door, the knocker is more shocked to see me than I am, him.

"What are you doing here Shivay?" I smile.

"Gauri told me to keep these bags at her place," he says tiredly.

It is 1 am. And those bags. They're my suitcases. She told Shivay to go keep my suitcases. This girl. I can't even enjoy the prospect of punishing Om some more for lying to me.

"That's mine- actually-" I keep my hand over the handle.

"Oh, well then, where should I keep it?"

A bolt of thunder hits, following a hurl or wind. Shivay pushes the door close, and the rain just gets heavier and heavier.

Shivay sighs, as I speak "Why don't you wait in the hall till it stops raining?" I even offer him a towel to dry off.

He is dodging whether to accept it or not as if it's jewellery or a proposal.

First Rudra. Now him. Om hasn't planted any valuable flags with his lies either. These boyss.

"If you don't want to spend the night shivering in the rain, then take it," I threaten.

He finally does, not looking at me at all.

Shivay sits uncomfortably on the dining table, wrapping the towel around his head.

God, make this storm stop.

But it won't stop. Every stroke of thunder vibrates through the sky and every lash of rain lands more brutal than the last.

⋆ ⭒ ⋆

Words: 1689

The rain doesn't stop because the author doesn't want it to Annikaaaaaaa.

Hello! This one's short and has more of mystery in it, so next one will be sooner, say around Wednesday, See you the.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 545 11
alternate universe, suspense, thriller with Shivika, oirginally posted on India Forums
14.3K 834 9
This is a OS on Shivika after Annika was buried alive.
41.8K 2.4K 14
My random collection of Rikara OS's and TS
38.5K 1.7K 17
when shivika left OM and left to Annika's chalw then the next day they left to Goa and never turned back