His Favored Empress

ladydragyn द्वारा

Shaugn is a history professor with an adventurous spirit. One day he wakes up and finds himself in a world s... अधिक

Nag, Nag, Nag
Fresh Air
Splitting Headache
Identity
Dujshua
His Emperor
Fateful Encounter
Courtship and Questions
Eye Opening Chat
A Negotiation
Dagaslan
Not Your Ordinary Priest
Entanglement
The 6th Prince
Terrible Tea
Prince Etan
Making Waves
Fight For the Right to Fight
Uninvited Guest
His Bottom Line
Size Doesn't Matter
Preparations
Mother Empress
Start From Small
Picky Eaters
Public Discipline
Discussion and Departure
Shifob
Clapping Back
Gloves Off
Man to Men
Out of Sight
Night Vision
Court Full of Jesters
Toshi
The Slums
The Military Camp
Camp On Notice
Memorials Arrive
Setting the Stage
Diminished Ministers
A Wager
Humbled Noble
Secret Meetings
Recruitment
Drowning Rats
Rumors
Late Night Rendezvous
Reforms

Currying Favor

2.8K 205 21
ladydragyn द्वारा

Shaugn, Akechi, and Kazim looked behind them as several stomachs rumbled. A few of the guards looked off to the side or had red tinges to their cheeks. Radagar covered a cough.

"Apologies, your majesty. We were up early for training and didn't have breakfast."

He gave a half nod and they continued on the way. Aside from the clunking of the guards' armor, the walk was silent enough. Some of the walls in parts of the palace were thin and the sounds of outside or the servants moving around could be heard. Before long, they overheard a few servants walking by the storehouses talking. Shaugn caught part of their conversation and listned in.

"What is this smell? It's so...fragrant."

"Smells delicious."

There was  sigh. "Alas, we can only smell. We will never have such tasty foods."

Shaugn smirked and spoke to the people beside him in a lowered voice. "Don't worry. I will have them make enough for all of you."

Akechi's brows raised in surprise. "All of us?"

Shaugn nodded. "Yep."

Kazim's eyes were shining with excitement. "Even the household staff?" 

"Of course," Shaugn opened his fan.

Radagar felt the burning gazes of his comrades on his back. "Even the guards, your majesty?"

Lazily waving the fan, Shaugn simply murmured, "Mmhm."

Everyone looked at each other then dropped to their knees, shocking Shaugn to the core.

"Thank you, your majesty."

"The empress is too good to us."

"We're not worthy."

Two maids carrying clothing bundles entered the corridor and quickly knelt down when they saw the others. Shaugn looked over his shoulder and saw the staff near the entrance of the kitchens had all stopped working and were also kneeling. He sighed and rubbed his forehead with embarrassment. All this over a little food. If this was all it took to make them all so happy and obedient, then he had it made. 

"Everyone get up. Quickly."

Everyone stood and repeatedly bowed and nodded their heads . "Thank you, your majesty."

Shaugn dismissed them all with a wave. "It is but a small thank you for all that you do for me." Without waiting for response, he turned and walked into the kitchen looking for the head chef. A tall, thin man wearing a red apron stood over a large pot with a long-handled spoon in his hand. His silver hair was pulled back into a ponytail but several wisps had escaped and hung down in his face. His brows were drawn down in deep concentration.

Shaugn smiled to himself. Garnet took his culinary skills seriously. A former unit commander who was injured during battle, Garnet ran his kitchen and staff like a well-oiled machine. Everyone was clean and dressed neat. Their hair was tied up in scarves or cloth ribbons. Their hands and nails were clean and trimmed short.  Their cooking utensils, dishes, and work surfaces were spotless and labeled. The ingredients were organized into small baskets waiting to be cooked. 

"You shouldn't frown so much, Garnet. You'll get wrinkles."

Garnet smiled and gave a half-bow instead of kneeling since he was still stirring the pot. "Good morning, your majesty."

Shaugn gave a half nod and peered into the pot. "How are things coming along, chef?"

Garnet's expression changed to one of worry. "I hope his majesty is satisfied with our preparations. Although we have curry, we have never made these types of dishes before."

"If it tastes as good as it smells, the emperor and the consorts will be pleased," Shaughn tried to reassure him. Hell, even if they didn't appreciate it, he would. It had been a long time since he had curry and he was craving it something fierce.

Kazim nodded. "Indeed. I was surprised goat and chicken could be used in such a way."

Inhaling the scent of curry goat, curry chicken, red beans and rice, and fresh buns, Shaugn wiped the corner of his mouth. "When done right the meat is tender and flavorful. Everyone in the palaces will know tonight at dinner when they try it for themselves."

Garnet stopped stirring and his eyes widened. "You want the kitchens to prepare this for the servants and guards as well?" There was silence as the other kitchen staff stopped what they were doing and watched with curious expressions.

Shaugn nodded and fanned himself. The heat from the kitchens was brutal despite the windows and doors open allowing for cross breezes to blow through. "Yes. After serving the luncheon, go to the other kitchens and inform all the other staff  of the recipes to prepare these dishes for everyone."

Garnet and the other staff saluted and knelt. "Thank you, your majesty." In all his years of serving, they'd never had anything as delicious as the foods the imperial family.

"Get up. You still have to stir the pot."

With a slight flush and shiny eyes, Garnet straightened out his clothing. "Thank you, empress."

Shaugn walked over to another station where some fruits were being peeled. "What about the dessert?"

A short woman with dark hair pulled a towel off a large tray. The fruits were neatly arranged in a rainbow with a small bowl of dip in the center. "It's ready. But-" she hesitated and looked at Garnet before looking back at Shaugn. "Your majesty, are you sure the consorts will enjoy this?"

Looking around the room, Shaugn was confused. "Why not?"

"These fruits are from our local region and mostly enjoyed by the commoners. I'm worried they will not be up to the standards of noble sons and daughters used to more...exquisite tastes."

Tapping his chin with the fan, Shaugn frowned for a moment in thought. It was true that the consorts mainly came from noble families who liked to flaunt their wealth with extravagant imported foods. These common things were probably not something they paid attention to. However, he needed the staff on his side. The more allies in his camp, the tighter control he could maintain over the palace. 

He shrugged. "It is good to partake in the native cuisine. These fruits and vegetables were grown by the farmers of our great capital and prepared by the finest chefs of our palace. We are fortunate to be able to have such skilled hands provide us with delicious and healthy foods. They should be grateful for the expertise of our kitchen staff to turn common foods into something spectacular."

The cooks all smiled brightly at his words and seemed invigorated as they continued working with happier expressions on their faces. After checking over the rest of the menu, Shaugn and the rest left to inspect the formal dining room. There were several small dining rooms in the palace. The formal dining room was where they all sat as a family for dinner once a month or on special occasions.

The walls were sand-colored with rich, dark wood framing several windows and the doors. Round chandeliers of the same wood held candles that cast soft lighting over the room. Murals depicting the family tree and family history were painted on the walls. A table ran the length of the room and seated over 100 people. The wooden chairs had padding on the seats covered in golden brocade. The emperor's chair was the tallest and had a carving of the dragon and phoenix similar to his court chair. The chair to his right was the empress' chair and there was a carving of a cougar on the back.

When they arrived, two of the kitchen staff and the steward were setting out the linens and dishware. Shaugn walked around with his hands behind his back as he inspected everything. He had to give it to the staff, they did their jobs above and beyond his expectations.

"Does everything meet your majesty's requirements?" Carlo asked.

Shaugn smoothed his hand over the embroidered silk runner on the table and nodded. "Everything looks good, Carlo." He put his hand on his chin as he studied the table for a moment. Thinking of the formal events his mother liked to host, it felt like something was missing. "I'd like to add a little more color to the table. The emperor is leaving us shortly. I'd like the table to look a little more...festive. Maybe a centerpiece on the table."

Carlo nodded with a smile. "I understand, your majesty. I'll go talk to the gardener."

Seeing that he still had plenty of time, Shaugn waved his fan. "No need. I'll go find him. I could use a little exercise."

Carlo saluted. "As you wish, your majesty."

Shaugn walked out of the dining room in search of the gardener. He found himself constantly surprised at every turn as he walked the palace and various courtyards. All of the art and décor were in line with his tastes for things natural and full of greenery. Lights and darks played off one another leaving a sense of understated elegance with a splash of boho. One of his exes had complained he was too effeminate concerning himself over décor and fashion.

Seems the emperor quite liked his tastes.

There were six courtyards in the palace and each courtyard had a different style. The courtyard near his room was more tropical. The one near the consorts was French cottage. The children's courtyard had many plant species that could withstand the rough play of little ones that liked to run, jump, and climb. The garden near the kitchens had many flowers, herbs, and spices used in their teas and meals. The courtyard near the guards had many herbals used in medicines they carried on their person to treat injuries - something OG had put in when he first moved to the palace. There was even a Japanese-style garden dedicated to meditation and training near the swimming pool.

They found the gardener in the palace's front flower garden just inside the main entrance. He was humming to himself while trimming a rose bush. Shaugn stood in awe as butterflies of all colors flitted around landing on the bright blooms all over. The front garden was the most colorful. There were flowers of all sorts of species from all over the empire.

The first emperor started the garden for the first empress. Originally it had flowers from her homeland in the north. Later, the following emperors would bring back a flower or plant from kingdoms he visited. Xoan had kept up the tradition and brought back exotic plants and flowers from trading partners. Shaugn sighed. If he didn't have things to do, he'd sit here and relax for a bit.

The gardener spoke bringing him out of his thoughts. "Greetings, your majesty."

Shaugn smiled and approached him. "Good morning, Zoreh. I see you're busy."

Zoreh waved his hand and smiled. "Never too busy, your majesty."

"I would like a few colorful flowers to dress the dining room for our lunch. The emperor is leabing us for a time and I'd like it to be festive."

Zoreh's eyes widened in surprise. He and his twin, Xaveh, had been with the emperor since the emperor liberated their unit many years ago. He'd seen many changes in the emperor since and none of them good. The years the emperor had been married to the empress were the best Zoreh had ever seen. Everyone was happier since the empress came to the palace. Was the empress displeased with the emperor? Why did he want it to be more festive? "Are you-you happy he's leaving, your majesty?"

Shaugn threw his head back and laughed. Zoreh actually looked like he was about to fight to defend his emperor's honor. "No, no," he waved his hand. "I am heartbroken he is leaving. I just don't want our lunch to be sad and lonely feeling. I want him to go away knowing his home will be looked after and things will be fine as they should."

Zoreh put his hand over his heart and exhaled with relief. "Oh. I understand. I think I know just the thing." He looked around and his eyes filled with excitement. "Leave it to me. I'll make something bright and energetic."

"Good." Shaugn nodded in satisfaction. " I'll need it in an hour."

He bowed. "Yes, your majesty. I'll deliver it myself."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

550K 27.1K 50
Continuation from the story of "The Bewitching Lover of the Emperor Xian (BL, Mpreg) Zheng Ci, born with intersex gender, fast learning brained like...
429K 14.9K 35
He is from a very rare clan of a tribe that holds an unequaled beauty, brain, strength, and skills. He was exiled intentionally by his parents becaus...
1K 1 40
When class 1-A get's a new classmate (after Minoru caused too many girls to complain about him) the class discovers that Jasmine is suffering. Keepin...
2.1K 251 32
Dive into the story...... I do not own the characters. It is only a fiction not related to anything or anyone in real life. Enjoy t...