Forever Mine

By jfrussell

BOOK 1 OF THE FOREVER SERIES At the age of sixteen, Roxy Thorn never expected to find her soulmate while atte... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
FORTY SIX
FORTY SEVEN
FORTY EIGHT
FORTY NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY ONE
EPILOGUE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
ARTWORK
Next In The Forever Series...

NINETEEN

4.4K 120 26
By jfrussell

Isaac didn't miss Roxy sitting on the wicker chair beneath the veranda as he tore up to the house. Even from inside his truck he could see there was something different in her cornflower blues. They had a glow – no, a fire – inside of them. Her gaze stuck to his truck until he rolled into the garage. A foreign nervousness filled him and like a database, his mind began deciphering what she could be annoyed at him for. It couldn't be that he was an arsehole because he was always an arsehole. Giving her a day off school to stay resting in bed all day? Doubtful.

Isaac cut the engine of the truck, looking to the direction he could sense her. A coldness crept down his spine, nestling itself between each vertebrae. The man had sworn him to secrecy, determined to keep the truth from her so she could live a life without fear and worry. To a degree Isaac agreed but the thought of lying to his soulmate with such volatile information was like lead in his stomach. Roxy was sensitive – ten-fold when it came to him. Had she sensed he was keeping something from her? Did he know what he was keeping from her?

The memory of listening to her scream in the middle of the night made his heart race just like it had as he'd torn towards her room. Images of her being taken from her bed had tortured his mind until he'd barged through the door with Kayla and Tobias, to find Roxy hysterical on the floor of her bedroom. She'd looked lost in the room she'd been staying in for the past few weeks, her eyes darting about wildly as if searching for something that didn't belong. His blood had run cold when her weak voice had uttered what she'd dreamt of. Was it a coincidence that she had a night terror about the very thing hunting her the same day he'd been made aware of it?

Shaking himself, Isaac made a start for the house. After being held up with helping one of the mechanics fix a machine at the quarry, he had to get to work in adjusting the patrol rosters before their own pack's blood was spilt. Although they didn't know it, apart from Tobias, they had a high risk of rogues coming for them any day. The man had said the leader of these rogues was different to the rest. Rather than being impulsive, he was hauntingly patient. But Isaac wasn't taking the word of a stranger – not with something so volatile. So he'd made the decision to pull all the less experienced wolves off the night patrols, with rogues known to strike packs in the cover of night, and replaced them with the more experienced. There was the risk of having too many leaders in one group but they would have to grit their teeth and bear it. And the pack would sense something was afoot. The inexperienced wolves would be insulted that they couldn't be relied upon but he'd spin some story about wanting them to focus on schooling more due to grades slipping.

When had lying become so... normal?

Isaac blinked up to the sky as thunder rumbled lowly. Sprinkles of rain were beginning to fall. Rough night to be on a night patrol. He'd ensure Kayla made some of her famous chicken noodle soup for them for when they returned in the morning. He might not be the kindest Alpha but he knew keeping the morale of pack members meant retaining respect. If he kept sending the experienced warriors out on night patrols with no reward he'd be quick to pay for it.

A strong smell of vanilla and berries carried on the warm breeze, making Isaac automatically snap his head to the corner of the veranda which Roxy rounded. A frown settled onto his face as he watched her stomp along the timber slats. Her hands were curled into fists. Electric blue eyes like the lightning dancing around them narrowed. He looked to the ground to hide a fighting grin. It was humorous to watch her trying to be angry – it was like a toddler placing their hands on their hips and stomping their foot.

Isaac's body was tense when she came to a skittering halt in front of him on the lawn, so close that her breath fanned across his skin as she looked up at him. His heart began beating wildly, his wolf rumbling at the unmasked desire swirling in her eyes.

'You're supposed to be resting.' Isaac folded his arms across his chest to put a barrier between them.

Vanilla, berries...

'I don't need rest. I need answers.' Her eyes remained locked onto him as she moved up onto her tiptoes. 'You're going to give them to me.'

Isaac's heart beat hard and fast and then skittered to a halt. How did she know? A vicious growl rumbled through his chest as his eyes scanned for Tobias like laser beams. He hadn't been too impressed with his Beta's spiel about the rogues at training last night. How much detail had he gone into? Clearly enough for Roxy to add the pieces of the puzzle he never wanted her to.

'Why did you reject me, Isaac?'

Isaac blinked. Fat raindrops began pouring from the sky, landing on Roxy's thick and long eyelashes. One trickled down her lips and he envisioned himself licking the sweet water off them. It made him wonder why he'd rejected her two years ago. It was almost enough for him to forget the pain of his past.

Almost.

Isaac gave a low growl and brushed past her, striding back to the house. 'Get inside. We don't need you being in bed with a cold too.'

'You're a coward!'

Isaac's wolf gave a vicious snarl and he fought his animalistic side as he whirled around to face Roxy. Her eyes told him she regretted her choice of words but she still jutted out her chin, fists clenched tightly as the rain poured around her. From the cottages which rested at the end of the backyard, Isaac could see curious eyes peeping from behind curtains. One swift glare in their direction though and the curtains smacked shut.

Slowly, tauntingly, his made his way back to Roxy. His boots squelched in the wet lawn. The relentless raindrops pierced into his skin like hot needles. He could see Roxy fighting the urge to take a step back as he towered over her but she rolled back her shoulders and tilted her head back to glare at him.

'Say that again.'

Roxy blinked once. 'You're a coward.'

Isaac gritted his teeth. 'You should be grateful.'

Roxy scoffed and looked up to the sky. The rain had soaked her sweatshirt and denim shorts. Her blonde waves were plastered to her scalp. Despite the rage he felt of her insult, his eyes followed a rivet of water travelling down the smoothness of her neck before soaking into the spot his wolf itched to claim her as theirs. He'd never felt such feelings. Anger and desire all swirled into one. It made him think of his mother. Of how his father drover her up the wall, how her hot blood would have his parents arguing late into the night but then a young Isaac would be clasping a pillow over his ears and trying not to vomit as they made sounds which definitely weren't arguing. Passion. That's how his mother had described the feeling. Wanting to scream in frustration and love all at once.

'Why should I be grateful to you, Alpha Winters? For making me believe I wasn't good enough for you? That something was wrong with me? For putting me through two years of misery? For bringing me here even though I can never be with you?' A sad look now filled Roxy's face, the fire burning inside of her now extinguished. She looked tired – exhausted. Broken. And he'd been the one to do it – all of it.

'To protect you.' Isaac was surprised by the vulnerability in his voice. Both him and his wolf were trying to fight it, but they could feel the blonde-headed she-wolf in front of them begin to tear their walls down.

'Lying to me isn't protecting me, Isaac.' Roxy's eyes were wide and pleading. Her hands slapped against his bare biceps, her nails digging into his skin. Isaac almost allowed a moan to break free from himself. 'What are you protecting me from?'

You don't know the half of it.

'History.' Isaac stared down at her with intensity. 'I'm an Alpha, Roxy. I'm more dangerous, more emotional than any other werewolf. Aren't you scared of what I'll do it you? What'll happen if I lose control? If we have an argument, you risk your life with every word you say. You saw me with Levi. You were terrified of me afterwards. How would you feel if it was aimed at you?' Isaac gritted his teeth and raked his fingers through his hair. 'I've got a monster inside of me. I'm cursed – fucked.'

The rain continued pouring down around them. Steam rose from his hot skin. Roxy stared up at him silently.

'Then aren't we all cursed and fucked with a monster inside of us?'

Isaac was silent and dropped his gaze to the ground which was beginning to form small puddles. He could feel her inching towards him. His heartbeat raced faster and harder, his wolf dying for her to get closer. Slowly, as if she might startle him, her fingertips trailed up his arms. Isaac didn't have the strength, or will, to fight her as her hands gently moved up to lock behind his neck. Her forehead rested against his. Caving to temptation, her allowed his fingers to brush against the softness of her cheek. He knew this was dangerous. He needed to be fighting her off, not unravelling his hard work of keeping her at a distance for so long. But her presence, her touch, was euphoric and he could feel himself weakening. Like a good bottle of whiskey, she was sweet and addictive. Comforting but dangerous.

In the past he'd always tried to flee the horrible memories of his past. He'd clasp his hands over his ears when he heard his mother's last words in his mind and he'd shake his head like a wet dog when he saw his father's limp body stabbed against the tree. But this time he was grateful for the brutal reminder, the reminder of why he had to stay strong.

Isaac tore away from Roxy like she'd scolded him, grabbing her by the shoulders and giving her a slight shake. 'This, us – Roxy it can't happen.' He forced himself to drop her hands from her shoulders and straighten. 'There's something we need to talk about. Meet me in my office in ten minutes.'

He hurried away from her, the same look on her face which she always seemed to wear around him making his heart bleed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 64 32
Amira Altaha has lived her entire 18 years alongside the natural - and supernatural. In her hometown city of Morrowfalls, it isn't unknown to be work...
28.6K 1K 27
(This is a story about an alpha and his young mate) All Erik Samson ever wanted was answers, but each time he unveils truths about one problem, it en...
3.9M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...
223K 6.3K 33
FORGIVENESS is the best form of love... it takes a strong person to say SORRY and an even stronger person to FORGIVE... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...