Titans: Rise of Talon

By sargasso8

He may be called a Robin, but he was born an Owl. It's been two years since the Teen Titans were formed, and... More

Prologue
Rough Morning
~ Beware the Court of Owls ~
Call a Friend or Two
Heat of the Moment
Unexpected
Two Gingers and an Ebony
~ That Watches All the Time ~
Return of Slade
Summoning the Bat
Talon Awakening
A Not-So-Happy Birthday
Calling All Heroes
Sensitive Senses and a Concerned Kidnapper
Never Give Up
~ Ruling Gotham from a Shadowed Perch~
Correspondence
Code Red...X?
Waking Up
No Connection
Singapore
Voices from the Past
Connections
My Father's Sons
Natural
Shots Not Taken
Flying Solo

Summons

1.8K 55 8
By sargasso8

A/N: I think I forgot to mention that this happens directly after the Brotherhood of Evil incident but before "Things Change" and "Trouble in Tokyo."  So, sorry gang, but no Terra. :-( 
......

00:31 PDT
November 27th
Jump City, California

Robin closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. There was nothing like going on solo patrol in Jump City. It gave him the freedom to move and operate how he liked, without having to constantly worry about his team. And because he didn't tell them about his late night escapades, they didn't have to worry about him either.

    An unrestrained, echoing cackle escaped his lips as he leapt from rooftop to rooftop with grace and skill that only came with being a Flying Grayson. It had been a surprisingly busy night in Jump, and it was only half past midnight. He still had a few hours before he would head back to the Tower, where he would take an hour long nap at best before it was time to "start" the day.

The whistling of a throwing blade sliced through his thoughts, and he sidestepped out of the way, barely dodging it. The mystery knife embedded itself in a brick wall.

Robin whipped around and extended his bo staff, masked eyes narrowed at his surprise attacker before they widened in shock. On the opposite side of the roof crouched a man decked in a black suit and trench coat. The man's entire face was hidden behind a solid white mask shaped like that of an owl's.

Robin grit his teeth and glared at the one who dared challenge him, "Funny," he snapped sarcastically, "I didn't know owls flew this far west. The heat must be killing you."

The man said nothing. Instead, he stood to full height, expressing his greater stature and muscle mass. He slowly reached into the folds of his trench coat. Robin, in turn, lowered into a fighting stance, ready to fight, dodge, or chase. To his surprise and confusion, the man revealed a large white feather.

"Richard John Grayson," he stated, his deep voice traveling in the warm West Coast wind, "The Court has sent me to deliver this summons. Your time as Talon has come. Prepare to serve."

Robin literally stumbled at the man's words. This total stranger knew who he was under the mask. His mind automatically went through every worst case scenario he could think of, assuming over half the league's secrets were compromised, not to mention he and Batman's identities were also in hot water. He had a lot of phone calls to make.

"Who are you?!" he demanded, "What do you want?!"

"I am just a messenger. Come to Gotham in five days time. Or the Court of Owls will come to you," he answered darkly.

Robin growled and secretly retrieved three bird-a-rangs from his utility belt.

"You can tell your precious court I'm not going anywhere," he replied in a tone just as sinister.

With practiced skill and precision, he threw the deadly projectiles towards his target. The masked man expertly dodged the first two, but the third struck him and embedded itself in his arm. Robin had to admit the stranger was strong enough not to cry out in pain, as most past enemies had, but he grunted instead. Without hesitation, the adult yanked it out of his arm and tossed it to the ground.

"Farewell, Gray Son of Gotham," he declared and leaped off the building. Robin gave chase, but one look over the side told him it was in vain. The man was gone.

Robin inwardly shuddered. Whoever he was, he had to be in fantastic shape to lose the boy wonder that fast. His mind didn't dwell on this, however, but the fact that the man knew his real name. The secret identity he had spent years of his life trying to hide and protect.

As he processed this information, other details began to click into place. Court of Owls. Talon. Gotham. Grayson. Gray Son, the words swirled around in his head for a few seconds before it all came together with jarring clarity.

Abandoning his solo patrol for the rest of the night, the teen wonder quickly made his way back to Titans Tower. He entered and maneuvered through the halls unnoticed as he made his way towards his dorm. The soft hiss of the automatic door sounded too loud to his ears, as if even the vaguest sound would disturb and alert one of his slumbering teammates.

Robin held his breath and didn't release until he was safely in his room with the door locked securely. Not bothering to change out of uniform just yet, he picked up his laptop and sat cross-legged on his bed. His gloved fingers flowed effortlessly over the keys as he began making a secured call. Two minutes later, a familiar cowled face filled the screen.

"Robin, what's the situation?"

"They know," he said before he could properly articulate his thoughts, "Batman, they found me, and they know who I am under the mask. I've been compromised."

The world's greatest detective furrowed his eyebrows in thought, "Slow down. Who knows?" he asked, his gravely voice thinly laced with concern.

Robin carded his hands through his ebony locks in obvious frustration, "It's going to sound so stupid saying it out loud, but it's the only thing I can think of."

"Doesn't matter. Chances are, we've worked with crazier. Walk me through it. Who knows?"

That was the closest Batman got to reassuring while he still had the cowl on. Bruce would have been more expressive, but he wasn't complaining at the moment.

"Do you remember that old Gotham nursery rhyme about the Court of Owls? I met one of them tonight, and it appears they have their eyes set on me becoming the next Talon."

He could remember the rhyme all too well. His mother and father used to tell it to him all the time when he was a child in the circus. The young acrobat could easily recall how they warned him firmly to never leave the trailer at night and to stay away from anything remotely resembling an owl.

In certain places, they would keep him extra close and repeat the rhyme more often. It was during those times that a child would go missing and never be seen again. The older performers always said that the Owls took them and turned them into Talons, extensions of the Court and enforcers to its will.

But there had been rumor that a born Talon walked among them, and he never understood what they meant. He still didn't.

"Dick? You okay, chum?"

Thank God for Batman. His adoptive father's voice was all he needed to snap out of the downward spiral of memories he had fallen into. He really needed a level head right now—especially now.

"I don't know what to do, Bruce," he muttered, "They said I have five days to return to Gotham, or they're coming here."

Batman hummed at that tidbit of info, "Why five days. Why not the moment he found you? That part doesn't make sense unless they want you to come willingly. Or—"

"Or if they're waiting for something to happen first," Robin finished, his mind still working in sync with his mentor's, "A flight from Jump to Gotham takes a few hours at most or a two day drive. Why the extra days?"

Both bats simultaneously pulled up their calendars for anything important going down in the next five days. They made instant eye contact at their shared discovery.

"My birthday is December 1st," Robin breathed, "That's only—"

"Four days away," Batman concluded. Robin's eyes steeled behind his domino mask.

"I'm leaving," he determined, "I'll spend the day with the Titans then leave. I need to find somewhere to lay low for a while. Relocate. Maybe come up with a new hero identity and persona to throw them off my trail."

Batman nodded in grin understanding. The boy needed that day to be a happy one, at least for a little while, "Go to the nearest zeta tube and go to the Watchtower when you're ready to go. No one can reach you there. I can work an investigation from the ground."

At his ward's disappointed stare, he continued, "I'll clue you in on everything I find, and you can run an online investigation on the league computer. You won't be hiding."

Robin grumbled dejectedly, "That's what it feels like."

The Dark Knight sighed. He had had his own run-ins with the Court in the past. The last thing he wanted was his own son in all but blood to be tangled up with them. He was going to keep Robin safe, whether the little bird liked it or not. He could worry about his own secret identity and all that later.

"Robin, you know I am just doing this for your best interest, right?"

"Yeah, I know," was the halfhearted answer, "Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"I know. But remember that it's temporary, and I wouldn't suggest it unless I was absolutely sure it was the best option."

A small grin made its way on the boy wonder's face. Batman may be the scariest hero on and off the planet, but he was also the most overprotective dad he had ever met. And he was thankful to have him.

"Thanks, Bruce," he smiled, "I'll meet you at the Watchtower four nights from tonight."

It was a pleasant surprise to see a characteristic bat-smirk reflected back at him, "See you soon, chum."

"Good night, bats."

Unfortunately, even the best of plans do not always succeed, and those we love most cannot always be protected.

.....
A/N: I know this didn't have a whole lot of action, but I promise there is way more to come. So stay tuned! Thanks for reading! Reviews are always appreciated!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68K 557 9
Aurora King planned on protecting Central City not training a new Robin. With Central City without a Flash, Aurora steps up. But when she receives a...
228K 9.1K 27
After the death of his parents, Dick Grayson is taken in by his Uncle and trained to be a Talon. He has been training and preparing for four years of...
115K 4.4K 33
It has been 20 years since Dick Grayson went missing. 15 year since he was declared dead. 10 years since a virus killed off all the Talons and the Co...
39.2K 684 22
Robin's heart sank when his parents died. Then yet one morning he woke up and saw his friends in his room seeing his horrified face. After all expect...