Blood Enemies • The Vampire D...

By midiosa

❝If I let myself care, all I feel is pain.❞ In her short seventeen years, Lyssa Gilbert has gone through a lo... More

BLOOD ENEMIES
I. DREAMERS OFTEN LIE
II. SWEAR BY THE MOON
III. THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
IV. MADE OF IVORY AND GOLD
V. MY PRINCE OF DARKNESS
VI. FOR LOVE I HANDLE YOUR SINS
VII. HUNDRED LETTERS
VIII. YOUR LOVE IS SCARING ME
IX. YOU ARE THE BONES OF MY SPINE
X. TWO HOUSEHOLDS, BOTH ALIKE IN DIGNITY
XI. ELEVEN MINUTES
XII. IF LOVE BE ROUGH WITH YOU, BE ROUGH WITH LOVE
XIII. TWICE I TURNED MY BACK ON YOU
XIV. I'M GETTING NUMB TO THE FEELING
XV. WOULDN'T SEE THE POINT OF LIVING ON IF ONE OF US DIED
XVI. WIR HABEN GEFICKT UND DER HIMMEL WAR SO STERNENKLAR
XVII. GIVE ME MY SIN AGAIN
XVIII. FOREVER...(is a long time)
XIX. FINALLY // BEAUTIFUL STRANGER
XX. BLOODSTREAM
Important Author's Note
XXI. SHE KNOWS
XXIII. JUST DIE ALREADY
XXIV. UNHOLY
XXV. RUNNING

XXII. IT'S IN THE BLOOD

5.3K 181 162
By midiosa

I WOKE WITH A START, finding myself in the passenger seat of a car. To my left I saw Klaus, who stared at the road ahead of us as he drove, noticing me when I sat up. The night sky was blanketed with stars, and there were nothing but evergreen trees for miles, and all I could wonder was where we he was taking me, and why.

"You're up." He smiled, revealing a pair of dimples.

"You snapped my neck."

Twice in one day, I thought to myself.

"You wouldn't have complied if I hadn't."

My brows knitted.

"Complied with what? Where are we going?"

I remembered I had slipped my phone into my jacket after getting dressed, but now, as I searched my pockets, I realized I couldn't find it anywhere.

"You won't find your phone." Klaus said. "It's back in Mystic Falls with the rest of the things you no longer need."

"What are you talking about?" was all that I could ask.

"Alaric's after my family and I." He explained, looking to me. "Which means that he's also after you."

My brows knitted in response, before he added, "you're linked to me, as I'm the one that turned you into a vampire."

"... so, everything really is all your fault."

━━━━

KLAUS WAS SILENT as he drove. His jaw was clenched, gaze intense and unflinching. He seemed lost in thought. And I was too, lost in my own thoughts. My thoughts of Stefan, and the impending doom that was steadily on it's way towards my friends and my family, and me.

I thought about Klaus, too. A lot. I thought of everything that must have lied between us, all that had been erased.

"Why did you turn me?" I decided to ask, glancing over at him.

He sighed and licked his lips.

"A lot of things happened that led to your transition." After a beat, he looked to me and said, "it was in part because I love you."

His only weakness, I thought.

My mind went back to what he'd said before he snapped my neck, then to what Stefan had told me, and I realized, Klaus wanted me to leave with him last night, but I didn't go.

"I chose Stefan." I deduced, looking to him. "That night, you wanted me to leave with you, but I couldn't because I couldn't leave Stefan."

"...something like that."

After another second of silence, I turned to look at him and said, "well, I guess you got what you wanted."

He huffed, shaking his head.

"Yes, Lyssa," he began, sarcasm laced in his voice. "what I wanted was to take you against your will, after my mother wiped you of your memories."

"With everything I've heard about you, this seems like your ideal situation."

"What else did they tell you?"

"Just that you're the reason that a lot of the people that I cared about are dead." I said, before adding, "and that I was in love with you, despite all of it."

"That about sums it up." He replied, coldly.

That struck a nerve, I thought. Everything that I was saying, clearly hurt him - it was obvious - but I didn't really care. Klaus was easy for me to read, and I wanted to pry him open and flip through every page.

"So, what did you do?" I pressed on, wanting more. "Who did you kill?"

"You know, I liked you better when you were asleep."

"And I liked you better before I met you." I quickly bit back, before adding, "you're taking me away from my life against my will, the least you can do is answer my questions."

"I'm taking you away so that you can have a life." He said. "Alaric won't hesitate to come after you. If you stayed back home, you'd be a sitting duck."

"But, Stefan and Elena.."

"Will be fine." He interrupted, looking to me with a wicked smirk. "Your sister is safe in the company of both Salvatores."

It sounded like a subtle jab to Elena.

"And what about me? Am I safe with you?"

I already knew the answer.

Klaus glanced at me, a gentle smiling tugging at his lips.

"Always, love."

━━━━

"I DON'T GET IT," I said. "If Alaric's gonna come looking for you and your family and.. me, doesn't it make more sense for us to split up?"

"It does." Klaus agreed. "And my family will scatter. But, you and I will stay together."

That was not the answer I wanted.

"And why's that?" I asked.

"Because, darling, the safest place for you, is with me."

I rolled my eyes, dissatisfied.

"Less than twenty - four hours, and I've had my neck snapped twice, gotten kidnapped twice - although I did escape the first time around - and now I'm learning that I'm gonna have a body guard until.."

"Until your sister's lived out her natural life."

"You mean until she's dead," I corrected, throwing him a smirk. "That can be arranged very easily."

Klaus deadpanned, to which I sighed, slumping back into the seat.

I didn't expect him to be so serious. I thought he was supposed to be the big bad vampire that killed as he pleased.

What was with the morality?

"Joke," I pointed out, tilting my head to look at him. "it was a joke."

When he didn't respond, I rolled my eyes, letting out a huff of annoyance.

"I'm bored," I announced, before adding, "and hungry."

━━━━

"WHAT ARE WE DOING HERE?" I asked Klaus.

We were sat by one another at a mostly empty bar, as Klaus knocked back a glass of liquor. He had insisted on stopping over ten minutes ago, and I was growing more and more impatient as time waned away.

I wanted to feed. I wanted to have fun. I wanted to be a vampire.

"I told you," he said, waving to the bartender for a refill. "I wanted a drink."

"And I want a drink of my own.." I said, lowering my voice as the bartender passed Klaus his drink.

My gaze darted from Klaus, scanning the bar. Across the room there were a group of rowdy and drunk college boys, and when I thought that maybe I could feed off of them, one of the guys let out a loud belch.

Gross.

I frowned, turning back to Klaus.

"I wanna leave. Like, now."

Klaus chuckled. "Why are you in such a hurry, sweetheart? We've got nowhere to be."

"I told you." I said. "I wanna feed, and there's no one good to eat around here..." 

"We'll leave when I'm ready to leave."

"And when's that gonna be?"

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you are insufferable."

I rolled my eyes, and huffed in annoyance, pouting my lips at him. Inevitably, he gave in, downing his drink before slapping a twenty dollar bill onto the bar.

"Come on."

Klaus stood, taking my hand. He led us by a few tables, to a hallway past the kitchen, tugging me into the ladies bathroom. He quickly closed and locked the door behind us.

Folding my arms over my chest, I asked, "what are we doing in here?"

I leaned back against the sink, quirking my brow in confusion as I watched Klaus slide off his jacket.

"You said it so yourself, love, there's no one good enough to eat around here.."

He stopped inches away, setting his jacket onto the countertop beside me, before he moved to flick open the first button of his shirt.

"I only want the best for my girl."

Oh.

His eyes were darker, glazed over with an intensity I'd never seen.

My gaze darted from his stare, to the pulse point of his throat, before asking, "vampires can feed off each other?"

"Yes, we can." He replied, and put his hand to my chin, lifting my gaze to look him in the eyes. "But, you are only to do this with me. Understood?"

"It doesn't make sense.. We're supposed to be dead, but I can.. I can hear your heart beating.." My eyes flickered to his chest, listening in to the gentle thrum of his heart pump blood through his body. "How's that even possible?"

"Magic." He said with a hint of a smile.

Klaus's hand moved from my chin, tracing a finger along my jaw, before gently pushing the hair from my face.

I wanted to know more, but I was too lost in the overwhelming desire I had to feed, the wave of pure lust that I felt when Klaus touched me.

He was magnetic.

"Promise me, love, you'll only do this with me."

I would've agreed to anything for a taste.

"Only with you."

Klaus smirked, wicked and mischievous.

"That's my good girl." He praised.

I could feel the pressure in my gums as I watched Klaus tilt his head to the side just a bit, just enough for me. His neck was smooth, creamy alabaster and looked so soft.

My humanly facade slipped away with my self control. I looked back up at him, searching his eyes.

"Have at it, sweetheart."

In an instant, as if it were a race to the finish, I closed the space between us, and sunk my fangs into the base of his neck. Klaus hissed in momentary pain, before letting out a sigh.

It took no power to tear through his skin and bury myself inside. At first taste, I gripped onto his shoulders, lapping and sucking at the blood that began to spill.

Every drop tasted like it was my last.

As I fed, Klaus began to leaf his fingers through my hair, gently petting me, coaxing me to drink more.

"Attagirl." He hummed.

My hands began to roam his shoulders, pressing myself against him, eliciting a groan from the vampire. When I felt his skin knit itself together, I lifted my face from his neck, looking at him.

His lips were parted, eyes wild with lust and a hunger of his own. Klaus looked to my mouth, running his thumb along my lips, coating his finger with blood.

I was entirely consumed by him ; his blood, his scent, the way that he touched me, and spoke to me. I wanted to wrap myself around him, tear him open and sink inside.

Parting my lips, I swiped my tongue over his thumb, putting my hand over his.

Feeding off of Klaus quickly became more than just an exchange of blood for me, as I trailed his hand down my chest, moving it to my waist.

He pulled me close.

Without a moments hesitation, I bit into the other side of his neck. He gasped in reaction, grasping onto me tightly.

"Easy, love," he whispered as I drank from him. "you might just kill me."

The beat of his heart began to slow and I easily became more desperate, pressing my nails into his skin.

Klaus's breathing became labored, and when I bit into him once more, he let out a soft sigh.

There was a sudden knock at the door, though I ignored it.

"Lyssa..." Klaus whispered, like he wanted me to stop.

But, I couldn't stop. And I didn't want to.

When I ignored Klaus, he gave me a nudge, and then a push, getting me off of him.

"Rude." I replied, wiping the blood that dribbled down my chin with the back of my sleeve.

To my left, the stranger that had been knocking stepped inside. He was a tall man, with dark brown hair that was neatly trimmed and pushed back. His most defining characteristic was that he was wearing a suit.

He looked from me, over to Klaus with recognition.

"And who the hell are you?"

━━━━

I SAT WITH ELIJAH AND KLAUS, at a table, holding a warm cup of coffee that I had no interest in drinking, between my hands.

Elijah was Klaus's older brother, and a vampire like the rest of us.

My eyes danced between the two brothers as they spoke, discussing their various ideas on what to do about Alaric.

Elijah didn't see things the way that Klaus did.

"We need to disarm Alaric." He explained to me. "Once the weapon is in our possession, my family and I will disperse and run. This is not your fight, Lyssa."

I raised a brow, looking to Klaus who scoffed in response.

"No? Please tell me, brother, what you think is going to happen the moment that Lyssa steps back into Mystic Falls." Klaus asked, before stating, "she is in danger. As long I lover her, she'll always be in danger."

His eyes rested on mine, gaze heavy with emotions I hadn't yet seen from him. He looked sorry, tortured almost, like he was a burden to himself.

Elijah swallowed, letting out a sigh before he looked to me.

"It's ultimately your choice."

My brows furrowed, looking between the two brothers.

"That's the thing, though. It's not really my choice, is it?" I questioned. "I mean, it's either what you want, or what everyone back in Mystic Falls wants."

It seemed that everyone in my life was somehow more in charge of me than I was. Whether it be Elena, my friends, or Klaus and his family, nothing was ever really my choice, was it?

"It's not my choice." I said once more.

Klaus exchanged a glance with his brother, before he looked to me and said, "you'll have to excuse my brother and I, darling, we need a moment to discuss things...in private."

Elijah gave his brother a nod, and they both slipped out of the booth, leaving me. I rolled my eyes and slumped back into my seat, letting out a sigh.

Thoughts danced around in my brain, wondering - what should I do? What do I want to do?

I knew I didn't want to run. But, I couldn't lie. The idea of spending the next however many centuries with Klaus Mikaelson seemed better than going back to Mystic Falls.

Although, if I did that I would never see my family again. And honestly, I wasn't so sure that I even cared.

Was I always going to feel so empty?

Across the bar, I suddenly noticed a familiar figure, standing and staring at me. It was Alaric.

My brows furrowed, unsure of what to do. He pointed his head to the back hall, motioning for me to follow him.

━━━━

I TREKKED THROUGH THE WOODS WITH ALARIC, until we were in what seemed to be an old cemetery. It was overgrown with tombstones that could no longer be read. We weren't far from Mystic Falls.

"You know," I began as we walked. "Everyone keeps telling me that you want me dead, but how many times now, have you had the opportunity to kill me?"

When he didn't reply, I continued.

"See, I think there's more to what's going on here. I think that you don't wanna kill me at all."

Back at the school, Alaric could have very easily killed me. But, it was like he was playing with me, like a child does with their food.

It was almost like he had wanted me to escape.

"I think that for some reason.. you need me."

Alaric stopped a few feet away from me, in front of an old crypt, letting out a low chuckle.

I folded my arms over my chest, pursing my lips as he turned to face me.

"You've always been so good at connecting the dots, Lys."

"So, what is it... what do you need me for?"

Alaric sighed.

"Where do I even begin.. The original witch, Klaus's mother - the same night that she wiped you of your memories, she did a spell to turn me into an original vampire.."

"Skip to the part that involves me."

He chuckled, amused.

"As you know, my life is tied to your sister's. When she dies, so do I. That only gives me the rest of Elena's natural life to Klaus and all of his siblings, which in theory might be enough time, but Esther knows how good her children are at running..."

"So?"

"So, she created a backup plan, in case I don't succeed."

"And what's the backup plan?"

"You."

My brows knitted in response.

"If and when I inevitably die, you are going to take my place."

I scoffed, shaking my head in disbelief.

"You're kidding."

"Esther watched her son from the other side for centuries. She watched him kill, mercilessly. And she watched him fall in love with you." He explained, before asking, "what better punishment than to have the girl he loves be the one to end him?"

How could she be so cruel to her own child?

When she gave birth to Klaus, she must've sworn to herself she's do anything to keep him safe, and yet she wanted to torture him to his end.

"I won't do it." I shook my head. "There's no way I'm gonna spend the rest of my life trying to kill him. Besides, if I kill him and all of his siblings I'm gonna end up dead myself. And I actually kind of like this whole...living dead person thing."

"You won't have a choice."

"Ric, my memories are gone." I said. "Everything that ever tied me to Klaus Mikaelson is gone. I don't care about him or you, or anyone anymore. And I sure as hell don't care to spend the rest of my eternal life hunting him down."

He looked to the night sky for a moment, before slipping his hand into the back pocket of jeans, retrieving a switch blade.

I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing?"

Without responding, Alaric slit open his palm, and before I could move, he gripped my wrist and did the same to my hand.

"Let go of me!" I hissed, attempting to tug myself free.

But his grip was too tight. Alaric placed his bleeding palm over mine and the moment our hands met a ring of fire formed around us, startling me.

"What are you doing - let me go!"

It was the first time that day that I actually found myself scared.

"Stop it!" I cried out, shaking and fighting with him to let go of me.

I was scared, not because of what was happening exactly, more scared that I was going to become something I didn't ask for. I didn't want it. I didn't want any of it.

I cried and called out, and pushed and shoved and did anything to make it stop.

But, then I saw myself.

I watched as I rode into my village on a horse, shocked when I stumbled upon the dead bodies of my loved ones outside of my home, drained of their blood, tossed aside.

Panic stricken, I raced inside, only to find that everyone else was dead. My father was stabbed through the chest and hanging from the wall, while my mother and sister were both drained, lying beside one another.

And I knew exactly who had done it ; Klaus. He killed them all without another thought because I didn't want to die. Not for him - I was only seventeen.

I watched more versions of myself run from the same man, watched all of the merciless destruction that he caused me.

Even Elijah had a go at it.

In the last vision, I saw Elena and someone I recognized to be Aunt Jenna. There was fire, could feel the warmth from the flames against my skin. And there was Stefan, offering himself in the place of my aunt. I remembered that I loved him so much, remembered how scared I was that I would wake up and he wouldn't be there.

I shrieked in pain when I felt a pair of fangs sink into my neck, a strong arm wrapped around my waist, holding me so that I wouldn't try to run.

The moment that Klaus let me drop, the ring of fire that surrounded Alaric and I ceased, and he let go of me.

"What just happened to me?"

━━━━

I SAT ON A TOMBSTONE, staring out aimlessly. I no longer felt numbness. It was replaced with anger. With hatred. A desire to kill.

I still couldn't remember much, and I didn't need to. I knew enough, now. I saw what Klaus had done to the girls before me, what he'd done to my sister and I. I didn't need to see any of the "good" memories.

"Do you see why Klaus and his family needs to be put to an end?" Alaric went on, talking like a crazed conspiracist. "He ruined you, and he didn't care, Lyssa. He still doesn't. He's a monster and he'll do it again."

Alaric was right, and so was Esther. She was right to want to put her son down. It was strange ; the way that I felt. I was angry, and hurt, but I also didn't care in a way. Not for anyone.

All I cared about was making Klaus suffer.

"Unless you help me." He continued, moving to kneel in front of me. Alaric took my hand into both of his. "We can destroy them, destroy everything that they stand for. You can avenge all the girls before you. You can avenge Jenna."

My brows knitted as I looked down at him.

"You're right," I said. "there's just one thing..."

"What is it?"

I leaned down, placing my hand on his shoulder, throwing him a sheepish smile.

"I wanna do it alone."

With that, I snaked my hand behind his neck, snapping it. Alaric dropped to the ground, unconscious, momentarily dead.

I knew what I was doing when I got up and pulled the wooden stake from his back pocket ; the one and only stake that could kill an Original Vampire for good.

And I knew what I was doing when I plunged it into his heart, killing not only him, but my sister, too.

I watched as Alaric's skin began to grey and desiccate, overwhelmed by the newfound surge of energy and strength that raced through my veins.

Alaric had been right. I was now an original vampire, taking his place.

And I would hunt Klaus forever.

A/N - hey guys I know I haven't updated forever, but here's this chapter finallyyyy. I hope you guys liked it. In case anyone's confused or anything, Lyssa is now what Alaric was. I wanted to bring back Lyssa's personality and attitude from when she had no humanity, but I wanted to do it a little differently. I thought this would be a cool spin. Obviously more will be revealed about the spell and everything in the next chapters, but the whole point of erasing Lyssa's memories was to remove all her good ones with Klaus, so that all she can "remember" are all the awful moments.

Thanks for reading guys!! Lemme know what u thot and if u liked it or not idk how I feel about it yet. And as usual, sorry for any typos I'm too lazy to go back and reread.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

713K 15.9K 190
Lydia Rosette Gilbert. The youngest of the Gilbert siblings. A family known for staying strong and staying together, despite the many tragedies they...
5.1K 78 23
Have you ever heard the saying I love you so much it hurts? I always thought that it was just that, a saying, to emphasize how you feel for someone...
241K 4.7K 68
She may be the youngest, but she'd be damned if she's the weakest. Brynn Mikaelson doesn't want much out of life. She spends her days in New Orleans...
215K 6.6K 24
"She's the embodiment of chaos itself-a combination of all her siblings, the worst parts of them. She's more vengeful than Klaus, more conniving than...