The Battle for Olympus

By annaversechase

Percy was still too far away to hear, to know what was happening, and likely he wouldn't care. Annabeth's bre... More

Annabeth
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Reyna
Percy
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Annabeth
Reyna
Percy
Annabeth
Hazel
Reyna
Annabeth

Percy

656 16 15
By annaversechase

The drive to Long Island was calm, like the breath before the storm. Percy flipped his visor down to block the setting sun, and glanced over at his co-pilot. Thalia tapped her fingers against the base of her seat while she stared out the window. Her silver aura was faint, but noticeable. Percy still had a hard time wrapping his head around her immortality. Assuming she didn't die in battle, she could be driving this road hundreds of years in the future, maybe with another bunch of demigods on the brink of a war.

Saying goodbye to his mom was hard of course, but Percy had a goal: get Annabeth back at all costs. He would always willingly give his life for hers, even the lives of the gods. He's never say it out loud, they would probably blast him, but he was tired of doing their bidding. He just wanted his girlfriend back.

"When's the last time you were back here?" Percy asked, directed at Thalia but really anyone in the car.

Thalia raised an eyebrow. "About a month ago. I was visiting Jason. You nervous?"

"I..." Percy frowned. Was he? "Nah, just trying to make conversation. What about you guys?" He adjusted his mirror to see Clarisse and Nico in the back seat.

Clarisse grunted. "Not since the war."

"Actually, same," Nico said. "I, ah, had other things to do."

"Like going to Camp Jupiter and not telling anyone?" Percy winced. "Sorry. That's not what I meant."

"It's okay, Percy. But yeah, stuff like that."

"So it's a bit of a homecoming for all of us," Percy said.

"For you and Clarisse," Thalia corrected. "Camp was never my home. Unless you count the years I was a tree." She paused. "Which I don't. And this was never Nico's home either, right?"

"Yeah." Nico cleared this throat and turned back to the window.

"I stand corrected." Percy turned off the highway and onto the back road, the woods growing over their heads. He couldn't help but remember his first trip with his mom and Grover. He'd been so scared and confused, but he never could have predicted where he was now. A part of him still felt like that 12 year old kid who just lost his mom.

"Don't miss the parking lot, punk," Clarisse added unhelpfully from the back. "It's not marked."

"Thanks," Percy muttered. That was true, the parking lot was really just a pullout on the side of the road with the three camp vans.

Percy drove around a bend and Thalia tensed beside him, her fingers clenched around her seat. Her pine tree stood tall on the hillside, the tallest in the area.

"What was it like?" Percy asked. "Being a tree I mean." He expected her to punch him, but instead Thalia gazed out the window.

"It was... quiet. I could feel the time passing, but it was like a dream. Even now when I think back, it's just a haze."

Percy had a hard time imagining being a tree. Dionysus had threatened to turn him into a dolphin on more than one occasion, but at least that was an animal. He could still swim.

Thalia pointed up ahead. "Right there. We can hike the rest of the way in."

Percy parked and tucked the keys in his pocket, allowing his companions a brief time to stretch and collect their weapons. Clarisse slung her gym bag over her shoulder, which now included Thalia's spear strapped to the outside. Nico leaned against the hood of the car and blinked up at the sun. Percy imagined that after spending time in Tartarus, the sun was always a blessing.

"Let's go, super squad," Thalia said. "Chiron's gonna love to hear what we have to say."

"Super squad?" Nico mumbled.

"Four of the most powerful demigods of all time?" Thalia slung her arm over his shoulders. "C'mon, Neeks. Let loose a little."

"Neeks?"

Clarisse fell in step with Percy as they hiked up the hill. "You know, everyone here still thinks you're dead."

Percy frowned. "I actually kind of forgot about that."

"Yeah, well. This won't be the first time you came back from the dead. Remember when you erupted a volcano?"

Percy winced. Right after his and Annabeth's first kiss, he'd accidentally blown Mt. St. Helens sky high and landed on Calypso's island. Annabeth and all of camp thought he was dead. They're probably tired of me coming back from the dead, he thought wryly. Then they'd continued their quest through the labyrinth.

"We were so young," Percy said. It was only two years ago, but he felt like a completely different person.

"We were," Clarisse said in a rare moment of agreement. Up on the hill, Peleus's body was visible, coiling around the base of Thalia's tree.

"Damn, he's gotten big," Clarisse breathed. "Where did we get him again?"

"I thought Mr. D put an ad in the paper. Which come to think of it is kind of weird. Why, you want one?"

"You don't?"

Percy smirked. "A hellhound is plenty for me. And also a pegasus."

"You never know when you'll need another." Clarisse shielded her eyes with the back of her hand. "There should be a patrol any minute now. Who the hell did we put in charge of that when I left?"

As if on cue, a group of three campers crested the hill above them, then pointed and shouted something.

"I guess we're about to find out," Percy said.

The three campers jogged down the hill, their armor a little too big over their bright orange shorts, until they got within talking distance. The lead demigod approached warily, his hand casually near the hilt of his sword.

"Clarisse? Percy Jackson?" The camper's blond hair was tussled from the wind, and despite the bronze sword at his side, his blue eyes were bright and friendly if vaguely confused.

"Hey, Will," Percy said, "uh, what's up?" It was a stupid thing to say, but he was actually really glad to see Will. When Annabeth was stabbed in the titan war, Will Solace was the demigod who healed her.

"Dude!" Will tackled him in a bear hug, something Percy was not expecting. But he laughed and hugged Will back. When Will pulled away, Clarisse snorted and punched him in the shoulder.

"Good to see ya, kid." Then she glared down at his feet. "You're supposed to be on patrol, why the hell are you wearing crocs?"

Will wiggled his feet in his sun-yellow crocs. "Why not?"

Percy cleared his throat and gestured to his two other companions. "Will, I don't know if you've met but this Thalia Grace."

Will nodded. "I've, um, I've heard a lot about you!" Percy sometimes forgot Thalia was a camp legend.

"And this is Nico di Angelo."

Nico swallowed and nodded to Will.

Will smiled. "I remember! You were the one that saved us all in the battle for Manhattan. We've missed having you around!"

Nico blinked. "You have?"

"Of course!" Will blushed and turned back to Percy. "Anyway, I'm so glad you're not dead. Where's Annabeth? And Jason, Piper, and Leo?"

"It's... a long story. Maybe we should find Chiron first?"

"Right! Of course." Will gestured to the two demigods behind him, both of which stared in awe at Percy and company. "Let's give them their hero's escort."

Chiron was making tea back in the kitchen when Will led them up the steps of the big house. Camp was just like Percy remembered, the half circle of cabins, mess hall, fire pit, volleyball courts. It was strangely rejuvenating.

"Yo Chiron!" Will called, bouncing on the top step. "We've got visitors."

"In a minute, my dear boy," Chiron said, his spoon clinking against his cup as he ladled in a spoonful of sugar. "A new demigod?"

"Ah, well an old one actually. A few old ones."

Chiron turned and the cup slipped from his fingers. Nico winced at the shattering on the floor and Chiron's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Percy!" He wheeled his chair over to grip Percy's forearms. "Of course we weren't sure what happened, but I didn't expect to see you here!"

"Chiron," Percy grinned. "Yeah, I didn't expect to be here either."

Chiron's eyes drifted behind him. "And Clarisse, Thalia, and Nico. Lovely to see you all. But absence of Miss Chase makes me think this may not be a happy reunion."

Percy scuffed the floor with his sneaker. "There's a situation. A huge situation actually. And it's going to take a while to explain."

"I see." Chiron stroked his beard. "I had hoped we might find some peace at last, but that may be too much to ask. At any rate, take a seat." He gestured to the couches in front of the fireplace. "And Will, would you mind getting the cookie plate?" The son of Apollo saluted, then tromped to the kitchen.

Percy, Clarisse, Thalia, and Nico hesitantly took their seats on the couches. Clarisse crunched a ping pong ball underfoot.

"Goddamnit," she hissed as she kicked it under the couch.

Chiron folded his hands neatly on his lap. "Tell me everything." And they did. Percy did most of the talking, but occasionally Clarisse or Thalia cut in. Nico said nothing but accepted a cookie from Will who sat next him on the couch.

When Percy was finally finished, he sat back in the couch. "So we have to go save Annabeth, take out the Romans, and stop Gaea. Soon."

Chiron touched a hand to his temple. "Just when I think we've been through the worst. But indeed, we must do two of those things."

Clarisse sat forward. "Which two exactly?"

"Rescue Annabeth and stop Gaea. As for destroying the Romans, that seems a bit extreme."

A thought occurred to Percy. "You knew about them, didn't you?"

"Of course. But when the Greeks and Romans mix, tragedy ensues. My counterpart Lupa and I have done our best to keep you separate." The centaur paused. "A plan foiled by the queen of the gods it would seem."

"Yeah, Hera screwed everything up," Thalia muttered. "Again." As a child of Zeus, Thalia was a natural enemy of Hera. She'd had her legs broken by a statue meant to kill Annabeth, and been generally terrorized. Percy could relate. She treated him like a science experiment.

"Hera's plan was desperate, yes, but at least she did something. That's more than any other god did, including your patron Miss Grace."

"My patron? You mean Artemis? Because she's forbidden from seeing us and-"

Chiron held up a hand. "That's beyond the point. We need to discuss our strategy going forward. And-" he looked pointedly at Percy- "it will not involve the destruction of Rome."

"Chiron, the Romans want this war!" Percy protested, "nothing we do will stop them. If we want to live, we have to fight back. Take the fight to them!"

"Because if we don't," Clarisse said, "they'll wipe us out."

Chiron gazed into the fireplace, his face worn. "The last time we had this fight, the casualties were immeasurable. Gaea wants this war, don't you see? Kill the demigods and you kill the gods' greatest weapons."

"Then we need a plan that ensures our victory," Clarisse countered. "Limited Greek casualties."

"But there is no plan like that, right?" Nico said, speaking for the first time.

Percy met Clarisse's gaze across the room. He did have an idea, and he suspected Clarisse knew what it was. And there was no way she would support.

"We use the Labyrinth. Rachel can guide us through. As far as I know, the Romans don't know about it so they can't defend against it. We'll pop up in the middle of their camp and subdue them."

"No!" Clarisse and Nico blurted out simultaneously.

"There's no way we're using that," Clarisse said. She was undoubtedly thinking about her old boyfriend Chris who went insane down there, or all the campers who lost their lives when Luke led his army through it. Percy was too. But this was the perfect opportunity.

"Hold on." Thalia made a T with her hands, like she was calling a time out. "Wasn't the labyrinth destroyed?"

"Yes and no," Nico said, his voice hesitant. "When Daedalus died, parts collapsed and it stopped growing. But you can't just destroy something that old. It's still very much standing." The way Nico said it made Percy wonder if Nico still frequented the labyrinth.

"Exactly," Percy said. "We take our army through the labyrinth, surface in New Rome, and force them to surrender. This allows the Greek forms of the gods to win, and we can finally have their help to defeat Gaea."

"I see," Chiron said. "And if their surrender isn't enough? If the gods remain conflicted? Can you kill other demigods in cold blood?"

Of course not, Percy wanted to say. But if it came down to it, would he? Could he? Because if it was a choice between that and the saving the world, there was no choice.

"We'll just hope it doesn't come to that," Clarisse said eventually.

Chiron carefully made eye contact with each person in the room. His face was calm but resigned. "I can't support this war. We have to work together, not tear each other apart. I can't give you camp's army."

Percy took a deep breath. "With all due respect, it's not your army to give. Who do you think they'll follow, you? Or four of the most respected demigods of our time." The room fell silent. Thalia and Clarisse exchanged quick glances. Nico stared at Percy in shock.

Chiron's eyebrows drew in. "What are you saying, Percy? His voice was low with a note of warning.

"I'm saying I'm taking an army of whoever wants to come. We're going to New Rome and we're going to save Annabeth and the world." Percy stood, for the first time in a long time feeling a bit of control over his life. "And you can't stop me."

Chiron glanced sideways at Thalia, probably the only person powerful enough to stop him. "Do you share this sentiment?"

Thalia kept her eyes on Percy and moistened her lips. "I... I think we have to do something. Look, my own brother is at Camp Jupiter, I wouldn't support this if I didn't think it was the only option."

Chiron's face remained unchanged. "Nico?"

"I, um, I'm with Percy," Nico said, avoiding eye contact.

"Clarisse?"

"Obviously this is the only course of action. As for the labyrinth, well, if Rachel guides us we won't be there very long." She sucked in a breath. "I'm with Percy too."

The centaur lowered his head. "Then you're right, I can't stop you. But I beg you to think of the consequences. We've been down this road too many times."

"No, I've been down this road too many times, Chiron," Percy said. "We all have! This is our second great prophecy, the second time the fate of the world is on our shoulders." Percy stood and walked to the doorway. "I saved us the first time," he said. "I'll save us again."

Percy jogged across the lawn, needing some time away. Thalia called after him but he ignored her. He needed to think. Normally he'd bounce his ideas off Annabeth, she would know what to do. But obviously he couldn't so he went to the only place he could really think: cabin 3.

It was just like he'd left it, minus a few things. His shield and Minotaur horn were gone, as was the picture of him and Annabeth that normally rested on his nightstand. He imagined Annabeth decorating his cabin on the warship, desperately hoping he was indeed alive and at the Roman camp. He missed her so badly his chest hurt.

"I knew I'd find you here," a voice behind him said.

Percy whirled around and caught a flash of red hair and green eyes. "Rachel!"

He returned her hug, god it had been ages since he'd seen her. She laughed and pulled away.

"I knew you weren't dead. And not just because of the Oracle thing. Where's Annabeth?"

Percy winced. "Your oracle powers didn't tell you?"

"I..." Rachel squinted her eyes. "Do you mind if I try something? It's a new power I'm working on."

"Um, is it safe?"

"Yes. Well 95 percent safe." She paused. "Maybe 77 percent."

"Then I'm sold. Go for it."

"Ok," Rachel said. "Just don't freak out."

Her eyes glowed green, and she reached a hand out to cup Percy's face. He swallowed. Those eyes were unnerving. Mist swirled out of her mouth and enveloped his head, spinning until a fog of green obscured his vision. Rachel put her other hand on the other side of his face, and those milky green eyes stared into his. Percy blinked, and suddenly the last six months played out in front of them. He saw his time with Lupa, stealing the police cruiser, Hazel and Frank with him on the glacier, the icy wind whipping at their clothes. The images went faster and faster, snippets and pieces until at last they faded.

Then the green mist retreated, and Rachel stumbled backward. "Shit," she said, shaking her head to clear it. "I didn't expect that to work."

Percy sunk to his knees, suddenly extremely queasy. "What was that?"

"I just watched six months of your memories," Rachel said. "You don't ever stop, do you?"

"Stop what?"

"Your hero thing, dumbass. If you'd just stayed put, we could have avoided all this."

Percy grimaced. "I couldn't just leave Hazel and Frank behind. They're my friends."

"Of course you couldn't. And now you're here to... ask for my help?"

"I'm here for a lot of things," Percy said, "but yes, I need your help to rescue Annabeth."

Rachel's eyebrows turned down. Rachel and Annabeth had a rocky start, but they were good friends now. Rachel was undoubtably worried.

Rachel leaned against the bedpost. "Another quest through the labyrinth, huh? Just like old times."

A grin spread across Percy's face. "So you'll do it?"

Rachel held out a hand, and Percy accepted it, rising to his full height. "I will, Percy. Anything to get Annabeth back."

"Thank you, Rachel." Percy swallowed. He knew he was dragging more people into his plan, but he had to get Annabeth back. This wouldn't be the first time he traveled across the country to find her, and he knew she would do the same for him. She did do the same for him all those months he was gone.

"It's good to have you back," Rachel said over her shoulder. "Let's hope you don't die in the next couple days."

With that happy thought, the oracle walked off across the lawn.

Percy leaned against his doorframe for a moment, just taking in the view. This was the place he called home every summer, maybe his favorite place in the whole world. Then he thought of New Rome, and all the demigods who called it home. Did he really have the right to take that away? They started this, Percy reminded himself. He was just doing what he had to.

"Percy!" Thalia called, hopping down the steps of Zeus's cabin next door. "Clarisse is rallying the troops, where are we with Rachel?"

"She's in actually." Percy stuffed his hands in his pockets. "How are you holding up?"

"Another war, another prophecy. But this time, instead of my best friend it's my brother."

Percy winced. The fight against Luke had been hard, but at least he hadn't really known him. Not like Thalia and Annabeth had. And now Thalia's long lost brother was the next villain.

"Jason's not the real enemy," Percy said. "Gaea is."

"Do you think he'll forgive me?" Thalia's jacket was folded over her arm, revealing a new tattoo on her shoulder. A black eagle. Percy wondered briefly why, since there was clearly no love between Thalia and her father.

"I don't know Jason, but everything I've heard says he's a good and honorable person. If he can't see what he's doing is wrong, that's on him."

Thalia stared across the courtyard. "I just got him back, I can't lose him again."

"You're not gonna lose him. Not permanently anyway. Once this all dies down you can work on that."

Thalia was silent, and Percy imagined her in one of those old black and white movies, taking a long drag on a cigarette. "If there's anything left to work with," she said eventually. She shook her head as if to clear it. "We're planning to leave after breakfast. Chiron won't and can't stop us."

Thalia swung herself over the porch railing in an effortless show of grace and agility. "And for what it's worth, Percy, I think camp is glad to have its hero back."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.4K 3.9K 132
Cressida Lynn's life had been terrible, yes, but that was in the past. For once, her life was actually...good. She was the Leader of Camp Half-Blood...
150K 3.1K 39
Life was going great for Prince Percy Jackson of Argos. His father was alive and well, he had loads of money, and there was a new girl in his bed alm...
350K 5.8K 20
Ever since Annabeth Chase was young, she was always bullied and made fun of. She had never met her mother, her dad was always busy and she was never...
725K 14.4K 50
. ~•~ . We'll never be as young as we are...