Broken

By Areeba019

" In life, you have two choices, to either allow yourself to break or break others " ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Author's note 🌺
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36

Chapter 18

40 10 13
By Areeba019

Ethan

The sky is covered with dark grey clouds as far as the eye can see. The sound of thunder and lightning has stopped now, Although there's a good amount of humidity in the air. Since it rained two hours ago, the weather has gotten really cold. Well, it IS the middle of October. Winter is gonna be here sooner than we thought.

As I walk down the street lit up by street lamps, I feel myself shiver. My aunt had ran out of some stuff like sugar, cheese etc so she sent me to get them. Even though it had stopped raining, I still brought an umbrella with me just in case. Now carrying a large plastic bag filled with goods in one hand and an umbrella in another, I wish I had worn gloves. My jacket is just barely keeping me from freezing to death. As I keep walking down the wet and slippery sidewalk next to a busy road with cars passing by in a rush, I have a strong urge to get home quickly.

All of a sudden, my phone starts ringing. After shifting the bag to my left hand, I take my phone out of my pocket.

Ha! About time he called.

I frantically search for a place to stop and talk. I run towards an alleyway and after reaching there, look around to make sure no ones there.

"Hel-" I began to say after answering the call but he cuts me off.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?" He barks.

"Whatever do you mean?" I say in my innocent voice.

"You idiot! I already told you no. Why would you keep calling me non-stop. I was at a freaking meeting! " He says angrily. Guess he needs a few seconds.

"Are you done?" I ask him patiently.

" Do you have any idea how embarrassed I was? My boss kept glaring at me every time!" He says.

"Zane is always glaring. It's like his signature look. But enough about that, will you do that favour I asked of you?" I ask him as I stuff my left hand into my pocket after putting the things down. The gentle warmth on my hand is super relaxing.

He sighs "Ethan. I can't give out important information to just anyone who asks for it. Like, this is confidential stuff." He says. I can hear a packet of chips being opened in the background.

"But I'm not just anybody. I'm your favourite little lovable and awesome BFF. Come on, Walter. I really need that video footage related to Jessica Miller's case." I insist. I look out at the road.

People are passing by, minding their own business. A group of high school girls out at this time laughing and chatting about stuff. A guy sitting on a nearby bench reading a newspaper. A couple getting into a car. A bunch of office workers entering a bar, looking exhausted from working all day. A group of guys talking next to a telephone stand. A woman in a raincoat talking to someone on the phone. A boy smoking outside the bookshop. A man in his car, waiting outside a restaurant.

Too many people. It's hard to tell who's the one following you this entire time.

"No. And why are you so obsessed with this case anyway? I'd suggest you don't get involved for your own safety." He says while chewing on something.

"I...can't explain. I, myself don't exactly know why. All I can say is that I don't want an innocent person behind bars." That is what I manage to say.

"Wait...don't tell me you think Morgan Stanley is innocent, do you?" He says clearly confused.

"My intuition tells me she is. That's all. So I wanna find out the truth myself. This is something I can't ignore. Also, I've helped you guys out a couple of times too, right? So you can trust me. I just need that video footage. Please" I say in a sad tone. There's also another reason. I don't know why but I have this strange feeling that this case will...help me find something. Whatever that means.

I can hear him sigh through the phone." Tomorrow morning"

"What?"

He repeats" I said tomorrow morning. Meet me at that cafe near the bus station. What was it called again...oh yeah! Greenhouse Café. I'll give it to you there."

"Really!!! Thanks so much, Walter! You're seriously THE best. You know what, I'll tell my uncle that you deserve a promotion." I say grinning like an idiot.

"Ok, that's enough. And don't tell anyone about this. Especially Zane and your uncle. Got it? I'm doing this because I know you and can trust you."

"Of course. Not a word. You can definitely trust me. Well, see ya later." I say to him and hang up. Putting my phone back in my pocket, I pick up the bag along with the umbrella and walk out of the alleyway.

I made myself remember some of the people I saw while I was talking to Walter and what they looked like. Those who looked suspicious to me. As I keep walking forward, I wonder if whoever was following me had gone away. I had to take a different route which was more crowded because of him. I felt like I was being watched ever since I left the supermarket.

Even now when I just thought that the stalker had left, the feeling of being watched is back again. What do I do? I can't just go home. He'll know where I live. On the other hand, what if I try to turn the tables on him? I still have it hidden inside my pocket. It'll be over in a second. But what if he's stronger and quick? And is he going to kill me or kidnap me?

My train of thought is suddenly broken when this girl passes by me in the opposite direction. What caught my attention was the fact that....it's Morgan.

"Hey! Wait a second!" I yell as I turn towards her. She stops too and looks back at me.

It's not her.

"Yes?" She says. Is it her voice or not? I can't remember. Morgan didn't have long hair either.

"Nothing...you just look like someone I know. Sorry about that." I say to her Embarrassingly. Although, she does still remind me of her.

"I see. Well, it's ok." She smiles and starts to walk away. I quickly drift my eyes from her to my surrounding. Is there anyone following me?

I turn back around and keep going. Yes. I saw him. It's one of those guys who were talking near the telephone stand. But he's alone. Hmmm, is this actually the guy following me? Should I call the police or shout about this in public right now?

Then a thought crosses my mind. Why is he following me? This is happening after the incident this afternoon. I was there, I saw someone on the roof and ran up to check. The timing can't be a coincidence. What if...the culprit saw me too. And now that person is after me since now he knows I'm involved. But this guy that's following me looks nothing like a high schooler. More like a college or university student. Maybe I'm just overthinking things and it's just a random person trying to kidnap me. Or...whoever the culprit was must have sent a guy to kill me or kidnap me. In that case, I'll need to get the upper hand here and get to him first. Bet I could get the truth out of him if I try. No need to involve the police, he'll run away once he sees them anyways.

I make a turn on the sidewalk and go left. It's a good thing the street is still crowded, otherwise taking out your phone in an empty place would mean that you know about them following you and that will make them take quick action. I take out my phone and hold it in front of me. Tilting it aside, I can see the person still following.

I then move to the street on my right as I cross the road filled with puddles. After reaching the sidewalk, I tilt my phone again. He's crossing the road too.

It's confirmed. He's definitely following me. I look around for a store with cameras outside them and continue to walk. Finally noticing a convenience store with a small camera outside, I go towards it.

After entering the store through the automatic sliding doors, I look towards the counter. Yes, there's a camera inside too. I walk over to the beverage section. Guess he's not following me inside. I put the bag and umbrella down and go straight to texting Zane on my phone.

' Being followed'

'Man in a black hoodie, black jeans, 5'11 feet tall, average build'

I send him my location.

' Made sure that he got caught in this stores camera and the road CCTV camera'

I'm sending this to Zane.....in case I don't make it. He's asleep right now so I don't have to worry about the police getting in the middle of what I'm about to do now.

I grab a bottle of apple juice and milk from the shelf. Walking back, I place the stuff on the counter and add a pack of cigarettes.

While the cashier is busy scanning, I take a glance outside. Can't see him. He's not outside. Is he avoiding the cameras?

After paying for the goods, I walk out of the store. He's nowhere right now. Just where is he hiding? First off, I need to move to a quiet place. As I keep walking, I look around for a street with fewer people.

I can feel him starting to follow me again. I put my phone back into another pocket where I carry my stun gun around with me and hold onto it.

As soon as I find a less crowded street, I go there and then start going more inwards. I notice a completely empty alleyway and walk towards it.

He takes advantage of the opportunity and starts to get closer to me. I can now hear his fast footsteps.

He's getting more closer.

My grip on the stun gun in my pocket tightens and I keep moving forward without looking back. His shadow can be seen moving towards me. He's holding a knife.

Just as He's almost behind me, I turn around as fast as I possibly could and quickly jab the stun gun on his neck. The bag and umbrella are dropped on the ground. I had arranged the voltage to the maximum. As the electricity flows through his body, the knife falls from his hand. Using my foot, I slide the knife as far away from us as possible.

When I feel like he's about to fall on me, I hold back the stun gun and step away from him. He falls down on his stomach.

As he groans on the ground. I kneel down.

"So, tell me. Who are you and who sent you?" I ask him. He says nothing in return.

"Did that person sent you to kill me? Do I know him...or her?" I ask again. But still no answer.

Thinking about checking his belongings, I glance at his pocket. That's when I notice him, slowly taking out a pistol.

Right on reflex, I grab the umbrella beside me and hit his head. The sound of it hitting his head surprises me. It happened so quickly and the sudden fear of losing my life that had filled my head right after seeing the pistol began to slowly fade away. I was about to die if I hadn't been quick.

There's blood on his head. I quickly check his pulse. Good, he's still alive. But now he's unconscious and won't be answering any questions.

I take out my phone and call the police. It's out of my hands now but at least the police will get him to spill the truth. That and he needs to get to the hospital too.

"911, what's your emergency?"

While I explain to them how I was being followed and how I tried to defend myself and had to hit his head, I turn the body over.

Checking his hoodie pocket, I find a wallet. Opening it, I only find some money in it. No ID or any type of card. Just cash.

"Thanks, goodbye," I say to the operator as I hang up after telling her about the location and other details.

I then search his pant pocket. There I find his smartphone. Perfect!

But my victory is short-lived as soon as I find that his phone battery is dead. What's with this guy!?

I hesitate. Should I put it back? Or...take it with me. Charge it up and find out.

My greedy and curious mind convinces me to take it so I put it in my pocket. Getting up, placing the bent and almost broken umbrella back into the plastic bag filled with goods, I start to run away from the scene.

Now I'm even more eager to get home quickly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107 1 9
"You're the enemy, so why am I so drawn to you..." "When will you grow up and realise fairytales don't exist, we don't get a happy ending Kyl...
9.9K 386 40
Short out....(story without word bride style and Yn making pancakes πŸ₯ž) (Updated) What worst condition can be happen when a minute miss understanding...
7.6K 1K 36
πŸ”± BROKEN πŸ”± A feeling of hopelessness, loneliness and despair. A feeling that leaves a person empty, blank and stone cold because of it. Usually acc...
330 102 22
In every conceivable manner, my psyche is deeply scarred. The agonizing experiences from my past have inflicted wounds that will never fully heal. I...