Red

By XXrogueXlucyXX

Ruby's village stays confined to a forest that surrounds the village. No one would dare to attempt to escape... More

Prologue
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty-One.
Twenty-Two.
Twenty-Three.
Twenty-Four.
Twenty-Five.
Twenty-Six.
Twenty-Seven.
Twenty-Eight.
Twenty-Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty-One.
Thirty-Two.
Thirty-Three.
Thirty-Four.
Thirty-Five.
Thirty-Six.
Thirty-Eight.
Thirty-Nine.
Forty.
Epilogue.

Thirty-Seven.

712 29 4
By XXrogueXlucyXX

No one was around where Court was tied up. Thorin had given me a knife to completely cut him down from. Lots of his rope was already cut and I could see him pulling on it to let it loose.

I didn't know what he had planned, but I intended to help him out of there. Once I had Court situated, I had to leave. That much I knew. Staying here isn't an option. This village is about to be attacked for what they did.

A part of me felt sympathy the other part was devoid. The sympathy is for my parents. I didn't know most people here. My mom kept me inside all the time, and no one ever bothered to go out of their way to get to know me.

A reason no one cared about my disappearance if any even noticed. I quickly moved over to where Court was tied up and pulling on the ropes.

He didn't notice me at first until I was in front of him, and his calm aura left after that.

"Ruby what are you doing here?" Court demanded as I went up to him.

"I came to help you." I told him and Court shook his head.

"You shouldn't be here Ruby; you need to leave. I don't know what they'll do to you." Court rushed out as I came over to him.

"I'm going to cut you down and we'll leave right after." I told him and Court shook his head as I came up to him and went over to where the ropes were binding his hands. 

"Ruby please." Court never got more out when I took out the knife and began to cut at the ropes. I didn't expect the ropes to be as thick as they were and as I got a dent in them is when it all went downhill from there.

"Well, well look what we have here." My entire body went stiff as I heard the voice behind me.

I turned around meeting the gaze of three men. I didn't recognize any of them, but one wore the uniform of a guard and had a crossbow in his hand. Court seemed bothered by all of them, but the sight of the guard had him the most shaken.

The one in the front with short brown hair stepped forward and smiled. "I thought most girls from the village were smart enough not to interfere. That seeing the prince betray the entire village would wreck all your dreams of marrying him. It seems there was still one idiotic girl. Do you wish to die with him?"

I wasn't sure if I was relieved that he thought I'm a girl from the village or if I should be worried. He was threatening me and intended to put me here with Court. I don't even know what their plan is with Court.

"She's not from the village." The guard stepped forward and the man looked over at him.

"Of course, she is. Who else would be here?" He asked.

"Look at her clothes, it's lined with fur. We caught ourselves a wolf." His smile was the one of a predator looking at its prey. Having Lyell's smile on me felt less threatening. Lyell wouldn't try anything because of Court. I never bothered to wonder if it was because of respect or fear.

The man in front of me seemed thrilled at the thought of catching a wolf.

The one with short hair in front of me grinned. "A bit early for you wolves, isn't it?" He asked and Court glared at him.

"If you touch her, I will rip you apart." I'm not sure how Court said that sentence calmly, but he did. It was dangerous how calm he is.

The man simply smiled.

"I'm not a wolf, and you all are idiots. He's the fucking prince, do you really think the king is going to tolerate this?" I asked hoping to buy some sort of time. Maybe enough for Thorin to see what is going on.

All the wolves may not be here, but I'm sure Thorin and Lyk could do some damage before the rest arrive. Enough to give Court and I a chance to run.

"You aren't from here then; the king is dead." The guard grinned at the last four words and Court glared at him. He may have just declared he killed the king himself from Court's reaction. He looked ready to snarl at the guard for that.

I stared at him in surprise. The king is dead. The grin at the guard's face only confirmed that his death wasn't natural.

"So, it seems your parents are liars." I turned around at the new voice as a young man in the typical attire of a woodsman with short blonde hair came up.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I remained in front of Court frozen in spot with fear.

I clearly didn't think this through. My idea was to cut Court down and flee. Now I'm surrounded by human men with ill intentions and no protection.

I knew my knife I had been given wouldn't do anything to them. By the time I even managed to stab one of them the guard could shoot me. I'm terrified of dying.

"Who are you?" The woodsman simply smiled.

"I knew they had a daughter; I remember seeing her when I dropped off wood. Here she is!" He smiled with one just as vicious as the other man.

I had never felt more threatened even with the wolf who looked ready to shred me not that long ago. These were humans, just like me and they looked ready to kill me. The woodsman held an axe in his hand as he smiled.

"Wolf got your tongue?" One of them leered with a smirk.

Court looked ready to shred them the moment the ropes were off. I could see him pulling on them. 

"Your all idiots." I didn't know what else to say.

"Do you hear her Isaac?" The man laughed looking at the woodsman. Isaac turned to me.

"And you are all sheep willing to obey stupid laws instead of rising back and refusing to bow." Isaac retorted walking forward. 

"I prefer to not be dead." I told him.

Isaac smiled. "Better to be dead than a sheep." Isaac believed every word he said.

"I'm not a sheep, I'm just smarter than you. Some of us prefer to think with our brains instead of our dicks and trying to impress people. The only thing you are bringing down on this village is the wolves massacring it." Isaac smiled.

"She's got a fire Aron." Isaac murmured looking over at the man who had taunted me.

Aron smiled. "A shame it's in the wrong place." Aron mused with a smirk. They were enjoying this. Way too much.

"If you were smart you would've stayed wherever that prince, had you. I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting those wolves for a second time. Maybe this time they'll kill you."

He knew. Isaac knew. He smiled as he turned to Court. "I will kill you if you hurt her. I promise you that Isaac. I will rip your fucking throat out." Court promised him as he gave the ropes another tug.

"I don't think I'll take you on that promise, you're the one tied up and there is more of us then you. Aron, why don't you put that girl behind him, I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Closest she'll ever get to a 'prince'. If he's even worthy of that title."

All hell broke loose after that.

Aron, the scary one came forward and I couldn't even get my arm to work before he had snatched the knife right out of my hand. His eyes landed on the knife and then Court. Just as he looked at him Court ripped through the ropes that dug into his skin.

I never paid attention to the shifts, but it went fast yet brutal before a large brown wolf tore through Court's clothes and leapt onto the guard. He screamed as the wolf tore his throat straight out and the rest of the men scattered.

I never got the chance to run before Aron grabbed my arm and yanked me away. Court looked up and went for Isaac. He would've mauled him as well if Aron didn't shout.

"You kill him, and you'll be licking her blood up off of here." Court froze as he looked over to where Aron held my own knife to my throat.

I was an idiot. Thinking I could go in there all badass and save Court. Now I'm the reason he could end up dead. Even in his wolf features concerned laced as he saw me with the knife, I tried to cut him free with pressed to my throat.

All Aron had to do is slice and I'd be dead. I was terrified.

I had to do something. I couldn't see anyone besides Court and Isaac. Thorin and Lyk weren't in sight. Even if they were would they even be able to reach to me in time?

The only piece of luck I had was feeling a dagger on Aron's thigh. He had me pulled against his body and the knife to my throat as he stared down Court who let out a snarl at him while still standing in front of Isaac who was frozen with his axe a few feet away from him.

"I will kill her." Aron promised and the snarls became louder. A warning to Aron on what would happen if he killed me. Not that Aron seems to care about that.

I did my best to slowly reach for that dagger. I didn't want to be useless and if I could just stab him or distract him in some sort of way. Enough for that knife to loosen on my throat. I could feel the sharp edges on me.

Aron remained in his standoff as my hand slowly reached for his dagger praying, he wouldn't notice as Court turned to him watching him closely.

Isaac scooted back reaching out for any weapon he could find, even the crossbow from the fallen guard Court had killed.

I could hear panic setting in the village, but nothing was louder than my own heartbeat and panic.

Before Aron could do anything, I snatched the dagger out and slammed it into his leg. It was a gamble, and it went as well as it could with him doubling over grabbing at his leg yelling in pain as I ran towards Court who let out a snarl.

"You bitch! I'll kill you for that!" His last sentence before a pure black wolf smashed into him and pinning him to the grass before ripping his throat out. The wolf looked up its golden eyes angry before letting out a howl as it looked at the sky.

More howls broke out as Court turned around and let out a snarl when he saw Isaac running. He cast a glance at me his eyes softening before taking off after Isaac. 

Panic, dread, and anxiety overcame me as I looked around what was once my home. 

Everything was about to be destroyed the entire way of living uprooted. All in that name of dumb teenagers. But not even I could stop this. All I could do is endure.

I took a glance around the village as wolves descended upon the village and some of the foolish guards and men met them before I felt a cold nose at my dress, and I looked down to see Lyk watching me.

He gave me a look to the forest a sign to leave before things got bad and all I could do was follow.

1929. Just a few more big scenes, one being Isaac's death, a little bit of redemption for Lyell and some emotional scenes of Ruby's family! After that Red is finished and book 2 starts! ***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 9.8K 7
Forget what you know about the fairytales of werewolves. There's no such thing as a moon goddess, there's no such thing as mates. Wolves are animals...
168 18 7
The wolves of the wood who were once men who had families and lives had been those victimized by the old legend, men were chosen by members of a grou...
173 2 62
My life was never a bore. As half witch, half werewolf, I am undoubtedly one of the most capable beings in the world. A daughter of an Alpha and a si...
6K 488 41
It all happened one night with only one bite on a blue moon.How would I control what I am? How could I possibly live with myself being indifferent. I...