The Beginning

By ohshush9

"Come here," his voice is gentle again. She gives in, placing her small hand in his. Lifting the cloth, he... More

Ch 1 - The audition
Ch 2 - The part
Ch 3 - The first day
Ch 4 - The theater
Ch. 5 - The dinner
Ch 6 - The ambush
Ch. 7 - The hotel
Ch. 8 - The song
Ch 9 - The brother
Ch. 10 - The script
Ch 12 - The unconventional beauty
Ch 13 - The john
Ch. 14 -The set
Ch. 15 - The dawn
Question for Readers
Ch 16 - The stunt
Ch 17 - The jump
Ch. 18 - The platter
Another question for readers
Ch. 19 - The class
Ch. 20 - The denial
Ch. 21 - The invitation
Ch. 22 - The silence
Ch. 23 - The adrenaline rush
Ch. 24 - The talk
Ch. 25 - The cookie
Ch. 26 - The punk
Ch. 27 - The interview
Ch. 28 - The advice
Ch. 29 - The block
Ch. 30 - The powder
Ch. 31 - The hockey game
Ch. 32 - The trolley
Ch. 33 - The repeat
Ch. 34 - The breaking news
Dear readers/friends - Help me brainstorm
Ch. 35 - The shock
Ch. 36 - The death
Ch. 37 - The rope
Ch. 38 - The subway
Ch. 39 - The premiere
Ch. 40 - The next day
Ch. 41 - The starlet
Ch. 42 - The big apple
Ch. 43 - The surprise
Ch. 44 - The hot spot
Ch. 45 - The castle
Ch. 46 - The boutique
Ch. 47 - The rain
Ch. 48 - The view
Ch. 49 - The plan
Ch. 50 - The throne
Ch. 51 - The dream
Ch. 52 - The experience
Ch. 53 - The vixen
Ch. 54 - The morning after
Ch. 55 - The spin class
Ch. 56 - The viper
Ch. 57 - The pixie
Ch. 58 - The dress
Ch. 59 - The hike
Ch. 60 - The kiss
Ch. 61 - The note
Ch. 62 - The cold
Ch. 63 - The Buddha
Ch. 64 - The dark
Ch. 65 - The quiet

Ch. 11 - The method

610 12 0
By ohshush9

The barking felt like a dream but it grew louder and louder. The wet sandpaper of the lab's tongue against his cheek brought Keanu out of his sleep. Squinting like Popeye, he tries to orient himself to his surroundings. Through his blurry vision, he sees a figure in the corner, strumming quietly on a guitar. He can hear someone moving around upstairs as the smell of eggs and cigarettes permeates the air. Sitting up, he tries to remember how he ended up on the floor. He moves to his feet, stifling a yawn and running his fingers through his unkempt hair. His eyes come into focus and he shuffles his feet across the floor. The figure in the corner grows larger until he can make out Jude with the guitar, deep circles under his eyes.

"How long have you been up?" He asks.

Sheepish grin on his face, Jude replies, "Since yesterday morning, I guess."

Keanu snickers. Jude lays down his guitar. As they make their way to the stairs, they step over Jim, still stretched out on the floor with his beat-up hat pulled over his face. Following the scent of breakfast, they find themselves in the kitchen. Mindy is there, wearing the same clothes from the night before, scrambling eggs with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. She nods, acknowledging their presence. At the large kitchen island, Shane and Auggie are already seated and shoveling food into their mouths.

"So, we're going to go downtown and look around at some possible filming locations today, right? Shane, here, s'gonna show us some spots, introduce us around," Auggie starts.

Shane is staring at Jude and Keanu, still in a bit of a daze from the night before. Keanu continues to eat, eyes down toward his plate, head nodding in agreement with the conversation. Jude lights up a clove cigarette and crosses his legs at the knee.

"How old are you, can I ask? Is it okay for me to ask some things now?" The first few days on a new project are when Jude is the most eager, curious, excited to dive into what will become his new reality.

Shane, still a bit hazy, slowly bobs his head up and down. "I'm twenty-one."

"Cool. I am, too. And this is, and this is what you do?"

"I did, yeah, well, I do it still sometimes, yeah, but it's been like a year now."

"How old were you when you started? How did it start?" Jude inquires.

"Fourteen, fifteen. No, fourteen."

"How?"

"My mom, she had this boyfriend who didn't like... boys who like boys, you know, he called me shit and hit me sometimes. And my mom, she didn't really know what else to do, so I had to leave, you know? It just wasn't working with us both. And he was the one that paid for her pills, so, you know there wasn't a lot she could do, so, I left. I left."

Jude takes a long drag on his cigarette and blinks his eyes multiple times. The lack of emotion in Shane's voice as he recounts his stories of neglect and abuse is startling. It was almost like he was reading a story about someone else.

"And so, you started hustling right away?" Jude continues.

"Yeah, I mean, I had some friends downtown and they took me in and showed me the way, you know. They helped me work through it, introduced me to johns."

"What are they like? Do you like them?"

"No," Shane replies. "I mean, some of them are nice and they come back a lot, but no. You just have to kinda separate yourself from what you're doing. You name your price and your limits and you just do your job. You do your job so you can get the drugs. Then you need more drugs so you do another job," he laughs, nervously.

"Did you ever fall in love?"

"I don't know. I think once, maybe, but I haven't seen him in so long."

"With a john? Was he a regular?"

"No. No. This was another friend. No. He was a few years older than me and we worked together a lot. I loved him, I think I loved him. I know he loved me. But he's gone. I don't know where he went. He's gone. He's, I don't know. Maybe he's dead, who fucking knows? Maybe he just disappeared or went home. Sometimes people just disappear around here, you know?"

"Would you have sex with women or only with men?"

"I mean, I've had sex with both. I like both, I'm okay with both. I guess I'm bi like that, but I like men."

"Did you hustle both?"

"Yeah, occasionally. I mean, usually it was johns. Girls weren't as much, but sometimes some older ones would come around. I liked that because I knew what to expect and it was nicer. Slower. If I needed to get away, I could."

"How do you decide how much to ask for?" Jude continues.

"I mean, you just learn. There are some kids out there who start so low because they don't even know and then some of us will kinda tell them what to ask for. Sometimes you can tell if a john will give you more. If he's really nervous, you know, if it's his first time then you can usually get more."

"Has it ever been bad? I mean, has a john ever hurt you?"

"Yeah. I mean, we've all had that happen a few times. Usually you go by your gut, whether it's a good idea to do a job. But there was one time where I was hurt pretty bad. He didn't listen to me and he didn't like me telling him what was okay."

Keanu glances at Jude and sees a shimmer in his eye that is quickly hidden behind his sunglasses. He knows what this means, Jude is living it. He is picturing what Shane had gone through that day.

"How, um. I'm sorry man, I'm sorry. Do you want me to stop?" Jude's voice is lower, quieter. He feels an urgency to stop and continue at the same time.

Shane shrugged. "It's cool, man. I'm cool. I'm basically out."

Jude clears his voice and continues. "How bad was it? How hurt were you?"

"I mean, it was bad. He punched me a few times, put his hand on my throat and then I kinda just relaxed, and let it be over, you know...."

Shane continues to talk but Jude freezes in his seat. Shane's voice seemed to fade into the background as Jude's vision blurs a bit. He feels empty. The air is suddenly humid and the ground wet from a fresh rain. He finds himself in a dark alley behind a dumpster, his back against a brick wall. Jude can both see Shane against the wall and feel the scrapes on his own skin, the pounding of the back of his head, the throbbing of his split lip and the grip of some man's grimy fingers against his neck. He is watching it and experiencing it as Shane's continues to talk. Shane's eyes focused on the sky above or anywhere beyond what was happening to him. Jude can feel the hot stench of the man's breath against his own face, the loss of control as the man overpowered him as Shane describes that sometimes it was easier to just try not to get hurt more than he had to.

Behind the dark shades, Jude blinks back tears and rubs his hands against his jeans in a frantic pattern, trying to erase the sweat from his palms. Keanu stops eating his eggs and stares intently at his friend. He was in it. Jude is enveloped by his characters. They both do this, but Jude could slide so deep in a way very few Keanu had ever met could do. Jude feels things as though they were happening to him, and his strong affective memory meant he would relive them time and time again like a movie replaying in his head. This is more intense than Keanu has seen before, and it doesn't feel right, it was too much. He goes against what he knows Jude would want and he puts his hand on Jude's shoulder and squeezes. There is no response. Keanu squeezes again, harder this time, his knuckles turning white and his fingernails bending back against Jude's corduroy jacket. This time, Jude jerks and looks at his friend, first with confusion, then irritation, but eventually, resignation. Jude makes a deep sniffing noise and wipes his nose with the back of his hand before clearing his voice again. His whole body shakes as though he has the chills. Hopping up, he grabs his shoes and thanks Shane for answering his questions.

"Alright, we goin'?" He looks to Auggie, who also stands and grabs his keys and jacket.

Keanu picks up his dishes and stacks them with the rest. He places them into the stainless steel sink and thanks Mindy for the food before picking up his jacket to join everyone else. The four of them, Auggie, Keanu, Jude and Shane, pile into Auggie's silver Jeep Wrangler as they head downtown.

~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~

** Q&A inspired by descriptions of experiences, some paraphrasing of various interviews, some knowledge from some I know with similar experiences

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 694 30
"You are going to be fine. You'll soon get out of here...." "I won't let anything happen to you. Nothing." "Promise me Jen, you won't lose hope. You...
9.6M 459K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
2.1M 68.9K 54
I pushed him with as much force as I could which made him stumble slightly but he succeeded in maintaining his balance and escaped from falling. That...
62.7K 2K 46
Bella head towards where they're going, carefully stepping along the craggy rocks. When suddenly, one of the rock she step into knocks her off balanc...