A Heart's Desire (Book 1)

By JadeDragon24

Evangeline Gray just wants to find her mate, like any werewolf, but after a cruel twist of fate, she decides... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 23

216 20 3
By JadeDragon24

Eva POV

We drive up to the pack house, and we are greeted by Brazil.

"What are you doing, BJ?" I greeted. Brazil immediately came up and engulfed Sienna and I in a hug. All of a sudden growls were heard from the direction of Callum and Ben.

Brazil puts his hands up and steps back in surprise. He should know how territorial mates are especially newly mated since him and Phoebe have only been mates for a few weeks.

"Will you two chill? He's just being friendly." I muttered at the two knuckleheads, and they relaxed a little.

"It's okay, come on, I'll lead you up to the house."

After making it inside, Brazil turned towards us, looking a bit sheepish.

"You guys might have to wait a couple minutes, Alpha's on the phone with Kyle Andrews."

I quirk an eyebrow.

"Isn't he-?"

"The New alpha of Shadow Mist, and the little brother of Stephan...they've been talking for a while..."

I don't doubt it, there is a whole lot to talk about.

"She should be done soon, but I have to go to my patrol shift now. See you guys later!"

He waved and jogged out, leaving us alone in the foyer.

Julian POV

Today was the day that Eva was to arrive to adopt Devaney. My nerves were getting the better of me, because I have no idea how I am supposed to act around Eva. It is one thing for Eva to be here every day, we can pull pranks and act like best friends without any problems. But now that I haven't seen Eva for a few weeks, I found it hard to know how to act around her.

I watched a Jeep Rubicon pull into the parking area. There my angel steps out with your cousin, however, two taller guys one with brown spiky hair helps my angel out and a tall blond helps Sienna out. When both guys wrapped their arms around the you girls' waists protectively, I know Eva had found your second chance mate. I stand at my bedroom window looking out over their arrival, and Eva looks up at my window. I know Eva saw me there, and I saw a single tear fall down her face before she looks away at the rest of the people gathering.

"Julian, it's time." Tyson hollered

I guess it's time to face the music of my decision once more. Time to turn off the internal emotions and just be back to being her best friend - my partner in crime. It is time to pay you back for pranking me and not allowing me to give you one in return. I wait at the top of the stairs for them to enter so I could make my grand entrance.

Eva POV

"Girl! You owe me some pillows!!"

The sound of Julian's voice attracts my attention up to the top of the stairs, and I look up just in time to see him slide down the rail, jumping off at the end and landing in front us.

"Well if it isn't Beta Julian? How have you slept since I've been gone?" I grin deviously as he scowls, but that glint of mischief in his eyes tells me another story...he's has something up his sleeve already.

"You know, pranking and leaving is a bit unfair...so..."

I never saw it coming. Fucking Silly string!

"Dammit Julian! Get back here so I can strangle you!!" I yelled as I ran after him, and the rest just stood and watched the madness.

We continued to run around the house until I slipped in the silly string.

"Are you ok?" Callum yelled.

"Yeah fine. I'll be there in just a minute." I responded quickly, not wanting him to come check on me

.

Julian came to help me up, but he pulled too hard. I landed directly on his rock hard chest, and we just stare at each other. Both of us keep staring and looking at the other's lips, but I looked away soon after realizing this fact.

"We can't do this Julian." I whispered.

"I know." He replied sadly.

"You know how I feel, don't you." I challenged.

"The same way I do, I suppose." He responded.

"I wish it would have turned out differently, Julian." I confessed.

"Me too." He whispers in my ear. "Je t'aime." He muttered, but I don't take the time to ask him what he said. Damn French.

What he doesn't realize was during this exchange, I had stolen the can of silly string. Now it is time to end this confession, so I held the can up and start spraying him.

"You thief!" He cried out, and I started chasing him with the silly string now.

We got done running around and of course, I come back covered in silly string. My clothes are partially a mess from slipping in the silly string, and Julian has found a hiding spot.

"What was that?" Callum asked, as Sienna chuckled behind me.

"Just a minute. Julian!" I hollered and waited for Julian to come around the corner.

"Beta Julian Le Torneau, this is Callum Walsh and Benjamin Stevens of the New Dawn Pack. Callum and Ben, this is Beta Julian Le Torneau of the Blackrose Swamp Pack." I introduced them, and they greet with the traditional handshakes - Callum and Ben a little more hesitant seeing as Julian is covered with silly string.

"Pleasure to meet the ones that have to put up with these girls." Julian joked pointing at us.

"I've heard your quite the handful too." Callum pointed out.

"Maybe." Julian shrugged.

"Did I ever tell you that I asked Julian to meet me in my room the first day I was here?" I tried to sound serious.

Callum simply growled at Julian, which causes him to take a step back. Sienna and I couldn't help busting out laughing at not only the memory but his reaction to Callum. And the fun just continued!

"Okay, first of all, back up Mr. Territorial. Second of all, you know damn well that I didn't do anything, and you were just jerking my chain." He stuck out his chin in defiance, and I chuckled. But if Callum only knew. That would be an entirely different story. So I covered my tracks VERY well.

"It was so much fun - who knew that the flirty playboy Beta would turn into a stuttering mess the second a girl propositions him."

He growled irritably under his breath. "Must you always burst my bubble?"

"Yes, someone has to. How else are we going to deflate that huge ego of yours?"

"It's time for me to talk you up to see Alpha Blackrose, so right this way" Julian instructs while leading up up the stairs

**************

Je t'aime - I love you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we topped the stairs we were greeted by the same beautiful woman with ivory skin and black hair. She was wearing black leather pants, a burgundy sleeveless top and burgundy heels - certainly Scarlett's style. Her smoky gray and burgundy eyeshadow seemed to set off her reddish brown eyes.

"I am Alpha Scarlett Blackrose, welcome to Blackrose Swamp. Who might the two be that you brought with you Eva?" She greets.

"This is Callum Walsh, future Alpha of the New Dawn Pack and my mate, and his future Beta Ben Stevens, Sienna's mate. Guys let me introduce you to Alpha Scarlett Blackrose of the Blackrose Swamp Pack" I responded while Callum and Ben bow our heads in respect.

"No need to be so formal. Please, follow me, I'll show you to my office." She adds, waving off the formality, and turns to walk in the other direction.

She suddenly stopped mid-stride and looked at me and Julian.

"I would presume your guys attire is due to another one of your damn pranks." Scarlett asks.

"You know me Red, I love to make things memorable." Julian admitted.

"Beta Le Tourneau if it was anyone else, this behavior would be unacceptable. However, since it is Eva I won't reprimand you this time. Both of you will stand during this meeting. No silly string on my furniture." Scarlett states with a hint of amusement in her eyes. With that I can't help but grin - just a little.

"You know very well that you used to have fun too, you just haven't participated since you became Alpha." Jules teased Scarlett, and I saw her roll my eyes with a grin on her face. This action indicated that Scarlett indeed used to have more fun than she does at the moment. Impending war and an arrogant ex-mate would do that to you.

Suddenly I saw a rather cute guy, sweaty - obviously from training cross our paths, and Scarlett locking eyes with this guy I've never seen before. The way she watched this guy as he passed us made it clear that both were interested in each other.

"Who was that?" I whispered curiously, and Julian chuckled.

"Raphael Jones, our newest warrior...and Red's second chance mate." He replied.

"Really? Then why-?" I whispered back, and Scarlett cleared her throat as we began climbing the stairs.

"It's complicated." Scarlett answered for Julian, and they go silent.

"Your fangs are showing Red." Julian teased, and Scarlett gave him a warning growl, which thankfully shuts him up.

We entered the office and Callum offered me his lap, which I politely declined. From the scowl on his face, he was very displeased with this response from me, but at the moment my only concern is Devaney.

"So did you get..." was all I got out before I was interrupted by Callum.

"So I'm sure that you are aware that the main reason we came here was for Eva to adopt Devaney. How does that process work?" Callum started the meeting.

"It's quite simple really, I've already filled out and prepared the paperwork...all Eva has to do is fill out the blank parts and sign." Scarlett replied, pulling out the file from my desk drawer and handing it to me. I happily takes it at begins looking it over.

"Callum isn't mentioned." I said to Scarlett.

"I had these papers drawn up as soon as you left Blackrose. At that time, you hadn't met Callum yet. If you would like to wait a few days, I can have the lawyer draw up new papers that includes both you and Callum as the adoptive parents." Scarlett offered.

"Yes." I responded, but Callum declined - much to my disapproval.

"That is a wonderful gesture, Alpha Blackrose, but I'd like to get the adoption completed so we can return to the New Dawn pack as soon as possible. We have been away for over a week now and I'd like to get back to training and preparing for the possibility of the war between Blackrose and Sanguis Silence and Crimson Tide. The preparations seem to be the most urgent matter at hand." Callum stated bluntly.

Didn't he want to adopt Devaney, too? But I've learned not to question an Alpha during my life, even if they are your mate.

"Speaking of battle preparations, Eva, would you like to see what progress the warriors have made since you've left. Your training techniques have come in quite handy since you left us." Scarlett offered.

"I'm sure Eva will be quite busy getting Devaney ready to go home." Callum interrupted - once again.

"I would love to, but first I'd like to see Romain. Where is he?" I asked, ignoring Callum's obvious frown. He isn't going to dictate everything about my life.

"He is still recuperating in the clinic, if you'd like to go visit with him. Since I'm sure you'll run into her, he met his mate. Her name is Aoife. Ask about her - I'm sure he'd be happy to talk about her." Scarlett informed me.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. It's getting late so I think I will go see Romain and then Devaney. Tomorrow before we leave, I'll come to the training grounds to watch the warriors."

Going through the paperwork, I quickly filled it out and handed it back to Scarlett, to which she immediately put her signature and the pack's stamp on making it official.

"There, it's official now. Devaney is now your daughter, I'm happy for you Eva." Scarlett stated, and I smiled happily.

"Thank you Scarlett."

"Your welcome. Now if you'd like, feel free to use one of the available downstairs bathrooms to clean up. Julian will be in charge of cleaning up the mess he made in my foyer...right Jules?" Scarlett said, and he sighed.

"Yes ma'am." He murmured, giving Scarlett a mock salute before sauntering out the office.

"That sounds great, I think I'll do just that." I replied, all of them standing up to leave the office.

As we are leaving I turned to Callum, still feeling uneasy about the meeting.

"Callum, I'm going to get cleaned up and go visit Romain. If you would like to visit Devaney with me you may." I stated flatly.

"Eva, I don't think..." He started, but it was my time to interrupt.

"Don't think Callum. I'm going, and, if you would like to join me, text me and let me know. Sienna could you show them where the guest rooms are while I get cleaned up." I asked politely.

After I finished a nice hot shower and changed into the clothes that Sienna left for me in the bathroom, I sneak to the kitchen to try and find some leftovers. Maybe Julian had been cooking lately. No sooner had I spied a bowl of roast and veggies to pull out and heat up, I swung around only to bump into a solid mass in the kitchen.

"My apologies miss, I wasn't paying attention." a deep voice said, and I looked up at him with an amused expression.

"Don't worry about it, I was too busy thinking about food. You're Raphael, right?" I replied.

"Yes, and you're one of Scarlett's friends?" Raphael answered as he stuck out his hand, which I take.

"I think I can say we are, the names Eva." I responded.

"It's nice to meet you Eva, enjoy your food." He chuckled as I moved towards the microwave eagerly.

Oh how I've missed Julian's cooking - amongst other things.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279 24 17
Rose is trying to figure out her new life after finding out shes a werewolf with two mates who don't get along.
429 31 19
Leah Grace makes it to Chicago and lives with Mary Wins goes to school and also finds a secret from the past and also comes face to face with her par...
618K 16.7K 45
When Alexa stumbles into the woods well being chased, she discovers a whole new world. One where she has a mate and he's a werewolf. She claims to be...
33.1K 2.1K 39
SEQUEL TO: Throw Me to the Wolves FOLLOWED BY: Embracing the Wolves As if Ryder and Ashlynn needed any more trouble, Zander Ramon returns to Tyriette...