A Heart's Desire (Book 1)

By JadeDragon24

Evangeline Gray just wants to find her mate, like any werewolf, but after a cruel twist of fate, she decides... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 7

293 23 0
By JadeDragon24

Once I got back to the pack house and showered, I run into Romain. Two younger girls come bouncing up to Romain. Both look similar to him, but the youngest looks the most like him with the same skin tone and eyes.

"Evangeline meet Antoinette and Rosalie. Antoinette and Rosalie, this is Evangeline."

"Can I just call you Eva?" The youngest inquired.

"Sure everyone usually calls me that anyway. Your brother just seems to prefer Evangeline more." I informed her lightheartedly.

"It's pretty but really long." The little one insisted, but continued, "Like Antoinette's name, so we just call her Toni."

"Rosie that's enough." The older one, Toni, chided her sister, and Rosalie just stuck her tongue out at her childishly.

"Do you like her Rom?" Rosalie asked Romain inquisitively.

"Yes." was all he replies, looking at me sideways while still trying to keep his attention on his baby sister.

"Are you sure, Rom?" Toni commented through narrowed eyes at me the whole time - seeming to be leery of me.

"Toni and Rosie, don't you have something to do?" Romain challenged, since the two appear to not want to move from the spot they were standing in.

"Sure." Toni said sarcastically grabbing Rosie's hand and leading her to the front room hesitantly.

"Charming but cute." I remarked with a slight bit of sarcasm.

"Toni is just really protective of me." He explained, but I can see how distrustful Toni was of me - of new people. She has every right with what she and her family had already gone through in her young life. She's taken on a motherly role - at least it appears that she has.

~~~~~~

Today I had given everyone the day off because they had been working so hard. I still got up early as usual to get breakfast, and I am greeted by Romain standing in the kitchen.

"Morning Romain. What brings you here this early? We don't have training today." I inquired.

"Go on a date with me Eva." Romain asked quite nervously, I might add.

"Is that such a good idea?"

"Have you seen any of New Orleans while you've been here?"

"No."

"Has anyone else that knows this area offered to take you to see it?"

"No."

"Would you like to see it?"

"Yes."

"Then it's a date then. Wear comfortable shoes though, because we are going to go to the French Quarter and we will end up walking all day." He insisted.

"Fine, I'll go." I pouted not wanting to admit to him that I wanted to go out on a date with him to begin with.

"Good be ready in an hour." He stated excitedly and rushed downstairs before I had a chance to ask any more questions.

Rushing upstairs, I threw on my blue jean overall shorts over a white crop top. Because of the heat and humidity, I just put on eyeliner and mascara and pulled my hair into a high ponytail. Slipping on my white Nike sneakers, I grabbed my favorite sunglasses and place them on top of my head. I leave my room and skip down the stairs to meet Romain

"You look great!" He beamed.

"Thanks." I mumbled. Why am I so nervous? This isn't my first date.

Quickly getting there, a walking tour was the first planned activity. Our tour guide was knowledgable especially about the history and architecture of the area. The victorian style buildings with their wrought iron balconies and hanging ferns were the highlight of the tour - if you ask me. Although a tour of the cemeteries might had been nice also. Call me different but I enjoy seeing the artwork that goes into the sculptures and tombstones memorializing a loved one.

Missing breakfast caused my stomach to growl part way through the tour, so Romain suggested for us to go to Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street. The coffee shop known for its beignets and Café au lait. Since beignets were on my list of foods to try, I was thrilled to stop here. The beignets were like little pillows of dough covered in sugary goodness. This made them enjoyable especially after Romain gets powdered sugar all over his face. Hey, that reminds me of another prank I could pull on Julian - great!!

St Louis Cathedral in Jackson was magnificent in size and design and runs an entire block. The history of the cathedral and site were remarkable with a church/cathedral standing in this site for nearly 300 years - although most of the original building no longer exists. The stain glass and artwork were stunning and the architecture was impressive. Even with my lack of knowledge on the subject, I think most would agree with my assessment of the cathedral.

Seeming to know what I enjoy, Romain has us cut up to Charles Street where some of the most preserved buildings stand.

Next stop was Royal Street filled with art galleries and antique shops. These types of shops weren't particularly my "thing", but it was nice to see the distinctions between the shops here and the ones I've seen at home, including some of the price differences.

The street that impressed me the least was Bourbon Street. The area was interesting, but it was what I'd expect from a street known for Mardi Gras celebrations with numerous bars, restaurants and gift shops.

Then we take a side street and stroll down to the French Market. With all of this walking we were doing, we had gotten hungry. The next items on my 'food list' was checked off when I tried jambalaya and gumbo. The jambalaya I try has andouille sausage and shrimp, and it was a wonderful combination.

Heading back up, we decided to go back to Jackson Square and enjoy sitting and watching the people go by. We find a bench and sat under the tree talking about nothing in particular. It was nice to have the attention from a guy that I'm not related to.

Everywhere there were live musicians. Jazz was not something that I thought I would like, but in this setting it seems absolutely perfect. Music was streaming and people were dancing. Savoring the moment, we dance with the others - not caring if we looked like fools or not.

Soon the sun was beginning to get low on the horizon and knowing we had to get up early in the morning, I suggest we return to the pack house. It was an enjoyable day, and he made me feel like the only girl in the world, but something was still missing. Not being able to put my finger on it, I shrug the feel off and drift off into a comfortable sleep.

~~~~~~

Romain joins me for my morning run before training. We get deep into the trees near the pack house, and Romain corners me.

"Eva, I really like you." Romain starts.

"I do too. I had fun yesterday."

However as soon as I finish my sentence, Romain leans in and his lips graze mine. I so know this wasn't right but for once I want to defy the fates and make my own destiny, so I don't stop him from continuing. His kiss was warm and inviting, almost loving - something I've been wanting. Reality hit me though - his mate.

"No, no this wasn't right. You have a mate somewhere out there." As I pulled away from the kiss.

"And what about you?"

"My mate rejected me." I cry, but I hate being so vulnerable.

"I'm sorry." He says while pulling me close and hugging me. "He is a fool." He continues starting to rub my back in a soothing way.

"Fool maybe, but I do - did love him. He is just too stupid not to trust me with the truth."

"The truth is what?"

"There were death threats against his mate before he even found her, which ended up being me." I add foully .

"I'd like to see anyone go up against you and threaten your life." He chuckles teasingly.

"No kidding, but he didn't talk to me about it." I say through tears now freely falling.

He wipes the tears away, and then he did it again - he kisses me. I enjoy it, but I vow that it wouldn't go any further.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am trying to relax this afternoon after my meditation session only to hear Brazil yell my name.

"Eva! you need to come look at your car!!" Brazil yells.

"What's wrong with my damn car! If he's done something to it I'll kill him!" I bark taking in Brazil's frightened appearance.

"Your car tire is slashed." Brazil just gulps, as his eyes get big.

"That asshole. He might have just went too far!" I bellow, as I race outside.

After I get to my car, I notice a picture of Slash from the band Guns N Roses taped to my tire. I hear Julian chuckling nearby. Once I don't see him immediately around me, I look up.

"You prick!" I scream and use my telekinesis to move a small branch to hit him. It causes him to sway but not fall down. Who had the last laugh with that one?

"Touchy are we?" Julian laughs maniacally.

"Asshole! Luckily I don't want Juniper to have to do extra work on you today."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most afternoons I spend about 30 minutes doing meditation. Having my emotions calm helps not only my general health but also assists with controlling my powers. If I'm overly angry, anxious or sad, I might use my powers in a negative way. That's not to say I can't use them in those circumstances, they're just harder to control.

Not long after I finished for today, Romain comes and finds me.

"I want to take you somewhere, Eva" Romain exclaims.

"What has you so excited?"

"You'll see." He replies, as he grabs my hand and leads me down a path to another house on the property. It was a smaller French Creole house with large porch on the front and what looks like a large addition to the back of the house - probably extra bedrooms. The house was white, but the shutters were painted in a fern green color, which actually tied in with the landscaping.

Opening the door, I was astonished by all of the young kids in one place. The front room, which I would consider a living room was divided into two sections. The front section near the front door with french doors that open to the porch, has a sitting area where a pair of navy blue chairs match the loveseat. A rustic coffee and end tables round out the furniture. In the other section of the room was two walls of cabinets - probably for various supplies. Different areas were sectioned off by blue wire cubicles, which added additional storage space for the children's toys. Some of the children were playing with blocks or cars, some were reading quietly in a reading corner, while others were coloring and drawing.

"What is this place, Romain?" I inquired.

"This is the house where the orphans live." He elaborated.

Immediately I had a little girl attach to my leg tugging on it. Sitting down in the floor, she climbs into my lap. She didn't say anything, even after I ask her questions.

"Is there something wrong with her? She isn't saying anything." I question Rin concerned. Rin and Gryphon were the caretakers of the orphan home. They were a mated pair that unfortunately couldn't have their own children, so they volunteer to look after the orphans.

"We don't know. She's never talked since she was brought in after her pack was destroyed." Rin clarifies sadly, her short bob hairstyle accentuating her face but also her expressions of emotions.

"What's her name?"

"No one knows, but we named her Devaney. Devaney is of Irish origin meaning dark-haired." Gryphon informed me.

"That really fits her, doesn't it?" I chuckled looking down at the little beauty with rich chocolate brown curls that fell around a face with silver green eyes.

All too soon I forget about Romain, as I sit there for hours playing with the little girl who didn't seem to want to leave my side. She never spoke a word, but she expresses her emotions in her eyes. She was completely content being with me and was distraught when I had to leave for the day.

"I'm sorry I have to leave Devaney, but I will come back and see you tomorrow." I tried to encourage her with a smile.

Her little eyes were brimming with tears that hadn't fallen, and all I could do was hug her close and give her a kiss on her cheek before leaving. Feeling a profound connection to that little girl, I jogged back to the pack house smiling widely. At this moment I realized she was going to become part of my weekly routine - if not multiple types during the week.

~~~

Later that evening I'm down in the training room in the basement getting a round in with the punching bag.

"So what has you so upset this evening?" Romain asked.

"I talked to mom this afternoon. It seems that Isaiah has been doing everything possible to try and get ahold of me even begging my mom for info. Quote 'I love your daughter, and I'm sorry for rejecting her. Please tell her to give me another chance.' Pfft as if." I commented as I punched the bag harder.

"The bag did nothing to you." He joked.

"But it's better than taking this out on someone up there." I replied as I point upwards where I figure people were at.

'Well, you have a point. Continue killing the bag." He responded and steps back, watching my workout.

Damn men. My wolf complained.

What are you complaining to me for?

I don't know.

That's what I thought. I retorted and continued again with my workout.

What was I supposed to think about Isaiah's continued efforts to find me? How was I supposed to react to this? Did I still love him? Should I truly move on?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.1K 2.1K 39
SEQUEL TO: Throw Me to the Wolves FOLLOWED BY: Embracing the Wolves As if Ryder and Ashlynn needed any more trouble, Zander Ramon returns to Tyriette...
701 6 25
It's time for the Queen to learn who she really is.
280 24 17
Rose is trying to figure out her new life after finding out shes a werewolf with two mates who don't get along.
961K 19.1K 24
Meet Evangeline Marie Wisteria - A werewolf who was abused and tortured by her pack, The Moonlight Pack. The rejection of her mate, Alpha Xavier Maxw...