The Battle for Olympus

By annaversechase

Percy was still too far away to hear, to know what was happening, and likely he wouldn't care. Annabeth's bre... More

Annabeth
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Reyna
Percy
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Hazel
Percy
Annabeth
Reyna
Percy
Annabeth
Hazel
Reyna
Annabeth

Reyna

640 15 7
By annaversechase

Slam! Reyna's knife hit the center of the target. She picked up another from the table next her and twirled it in her fingers. It's metal blade glinted as she brought it back and released it. Slam! It joined its twin in the center of the target.

"Geez," Anissa said, coming up behind her. "Got someone's face in mind?"

"Oh I've got a whole list." Slam! This one clipped the inner circle.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Anissa asked in her centurion voice.

Reyna rolled her eyes. "That used to work. Now I know when I'm being handled." She drew another knife.

"You know, they have moving targets if you want them. It's a lot more fun."

"Please. You only say that because you have the record."

Slam! This knife hit about halfway up.

Anissa was a brilliant knife thrower. When she was Reyna's centurion, she took her to New Rome's target range all the time. It was designed like a bowling alley, a set of twenty targets and a weapons rental/concession stand behind the counter. A great way to relieve stress, but not the solution to the problem.

"Fair enough." Anissa adjusted the ring on her middle finger. Reyna knew that ring turned into a wicked throwing knife. A gift from Venus, Anissa's mother. "Still, whatever it is you're working out is not on the target."

"Maybe not." Reyna picked up another knife. "But this is a lot easier." She chucked this one forward and it nicked the outer edge. "Shit!"

"Reyna." Anissa caught her wrist as she reached for the last knife. "Tell me what's going on."

A part of Reyna wanted to spill her guts to her old friend. But the other part told her to handle it. She agreed to be praetor, this was her responsibility. "It's fine," Reyna brushed Anissa's hand off. "Just praetor stuff."

"If you say so." Anissa grabbed Reyna's last knife and tossed it from hand to hand. "Watch this." Faster than Reyna could blink, Anissa threw the knife backhanded across the room. It flew beautifully, glinting off the fluorescent lights towards the concession stand. The man behind the counter, Joe, Reyna remembered, had just passed a hot dog across the counter and was in the middle of taking change when Anissa's knife wizzed by his hand and slammed into the light switch. The entire concession stand went dark and Joe flinched so hard the change flew out of his hand.

"Anissa!" he yelled. "One of these times I'm going to kick your ass out."

"And risk losing your favorite customer?" Anissa shook her head in mock disappointment. "Admit it. You love having me back."

"What I love is running my stand in peace." He paused. "But nice shot though." He wiped his fingers on his apron and flicked the light switch back on.

Reyna grimaced. "Really? I thought your days of torturing Joe were over."

"I'm never done. I've known him for ten years, I get some privileges. Besides," Anissa bumped Reyna's shoulder, "I've got the praetor of New Rome with me. I can do what I want."

"Yeah-" Reyna rotated her shoulder, a little sore from the knife throwing- "that's not how it works."

"Bummer. Hey, you up for a sparring match? For old times sake," Anissa added.

Reyna glanced at the clock. She didn't have to run any battle drills for at least hour, and she didn't feel like going back to the senate. "Why not?"

The mat smelled just like Reyna remembered, sweat and rubber with a hint of cool breeze from the skylights. Anissa leaned back against the wall and stretched the tape over her knuckles, raising an eyebrow when Reyna made eye contact.

"Taking you back?"

Reyna snorted. "Oh yeah. You know you were never very nice to me when I was learning."

Anissa tossed the tape to Reyna. "That's the point. You can't learn hand-to-hand combat without the combat."

"Mmhmm. I've been waiting all these years to get you back."

"Oh yeah? I may have been away for year, but I can still kick your ass, Rey."

Reyna took off her jacket and tossed it on the bench before jogging out into the ring. "Come at me then."

Anissa grinned. "Before we get started, want to tell me what's going on?"

"Really? Just for that, I'm not going easy on you."

"I expect nothing less."

Anissa attacked first, she always did. Reyna ducked under the uppercut, then whipped around and drive her elbow into Anissa's side. Anissa grunted but caught Reyna's arm and wrenched it sideways, knocking her off balance. They circled each other, weighing their opponent. Anissa was an excellent kickboxer, but she'd been at medical school for a year. Reyna spent the last year taking out her frustrations on the punching bag.

Reyna attacked again, tackling Anissa to the ground. Anissa grimaced and slipped out from under her, rolling to her feet. Before Reyna could recover, Anissa spun on her heel and kicked in her in the chest, knocking Reyna back a few feet. Her chest burned, and Reyna shook her head to clear it.

Anissa grinned and bounced on the balls of her feet. "Aww, a little slow today, Rey?"

"You wish." Reyna launched herself forward, catching the side of Anissa's face with her elbow. Anissa stumbled, her normally sure-footing broken, and Reyna tackled her waist. They hit the ground rolling and Reyna looped her arm around Anissa's neck. She squeezed lightly as Anissa squirmed, until finally she tapped out on the floor.

"Damnit!" Anissa said, rolling away. "You've still got moves."

Reyna brushed the hair out of her face. "And you're still too cocky."

"Again." Anissa jumped her feet and rotated her shoulder. "I needed a practice round."

"Anissa, I really-"

"Again!" she insisted. "C'mon, one more time."

"I- fine. But when I'm late to battle drills..."

"Please. You're the praetor, you can do what you want. Can't Jason take care of that?" Reyna caught the undercurrents in Anissa's voice, she never liked Jason much and she wasn't alone in that sentiment, especially after he left.

"Let's just get this over with."

Reyna and Anissa circled each other again, the mat spongy beneath their feet. Anissa attacked first again, this time catching Reyna's arm and twisting it behind her. Reyna grimaced and pushed back, then drove her free elbow into Anissa's ribs. She released her grip and shoved Reyna away.

They circled again, then Anissa drove her foot into Reyna's stomach. As Reyna coughed and doubled over to catch her breath, Anissa launched forward and swept Reyna's legs out from under her. She hit the mat hard, and Anissa pinned her, her arms trapped at her sides and Anissa's forearm against her collar bone.

"Are you kidding," Reyna groaned. "I can't believe I fell for that move again."

Anissa smirked. "Told you I still got it."

"Yeah, yeah. Let me up, I have to get going."

Anissa blinked down at Reyna for a moment. "No."

"What do you mean no?"

"Not until you tell me what's bothering you."

"Come on, Anissa." Reyna squirmed to try and free herself, but Anissa's grip was tight. "This isn't a game anymore."

"Oh I agree. Look, you're a closed off person by nature, you always have been. But you're better when you have someone to talk to."

"I do, okay? I do and-"

"You don't! Why do you think we have two praetors, huh? Your person should be Jason, but it isn't. At least not anymore." Anissa's tone softened. "One of your oldest friends died a couple days ago and you have an all-out war on your hands. How do you feel about that, Reyna?"

"I-I- don't-" a wave of emotion threatened to overwhelm her, but she swallowed it down. "I do have a full scale war to plan, and that's the only thing I can think about. I'll grieve later."

Anissa released her grip and sat back on her heels. "That's not a healthy coping mechanism."

"I don't care." Reyna crawled backwards and sunk down onto the mat.

"Reyna," Anissa said, staring deep into her eyes, "you are under a crushing amount of pressure. Let me be your outlet. Tell me what's going on."

Reyna swallowed. "It's nothing more than what I'm already dealing with."

"But something."

"But nothing."

"I haven't seen you throwing knives like that since your huge fight with Jason." Anissa pursed her lips. "It always comes back to him, doesn't it?"

"This," Reyna said, flinging her arms, "is about so much more than just Jason! Give me a little credit, Anissa, he's just a guy."

"A guy who was your best friend and family for years. A guy," Anissa said, "who was the one person you could always count on. That's not nothing."

"What does it matter? I can't count on him anymore. I mean, I thought I could but I can't. Not after he-" Reyna cut herself off with gritted teeth. "And with Octavian of all people. We were both there when he finally snapped. How could he possibly side with Octavian over me?"

"You think something's wrong with him?"

"I know he's hurting, hell he lost his eye, but I don't..." Reyna leaned back on her heels. "Your mother once told me to beware of children of Jupiter. That they tended to snap under the pressure. I thought Jason was different."

Anissa raised an eyebrow. "And you believed her?"

"No," Reyna said quickly. "Not at first. But how can I not? Juno screwed with his head like all the rest of Jupiter's offspring."

"What do you think she did to him?"

"He's callous, violent, impulsive, he went behind my back to make a deal with- with Octavian's associates after I explicitly told them not to!" Reyna jumped to her feet. "This was a whole lot easier when he was gone."

Anissa peeled herself off the floor and began unwrapping her knuckles. "But you're working behind his back also, right?"

Reyna blinked. "I mean I guess. But I want peace! Jason wants war. It's different."

"Is it? Because you both want the survival of New Rome."

"What? You're taking his side?"

Anissa held up her hands. "I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm just... trying to understand." She balled up the tape and shot a three pointer into the trash. "I can't pretend to understand how complicated your relationship with him is, but you are the senior praetor. Your duty is to Rome first, but you already know that. Do what's best for Rome, and worry about Jason's feelings later."

"Easier said than done," Reyna muttered as she slipped on her jacket and slung her bag over her shoulder. "How am I supposed to know what's best for Rome?"

Anissa glanced down the stairs at her. "Just do your best. That's all you can do."

***

Jason faced away from her, staring down at the cohorts running battle drills. Octavian, centurion of the first cohort, ran the drills but Reyna preferred to supervise, a sentiment she supposed Jason shared. The onagers gleamed in the afternoon light across the battlefield and Reyna glared at the back of his head.

"How's everyone doing down there?" Reyna asked by way of greeting.

Jason started, but didn't turn around. "As good as they can be. Any word on when the Greeks will attack?"

"Annabeth estimated within the next couple of days." Reyna stepped forward to join Jason at the edge of the wall. "But it's hard to be sure. There's a... lack of communication these days."

Finally Jason looked at her, catching the sharpness in her tone. "Look-"

"Why?" Reyna cut him off. "I told you not to make that deal without my permission. Do you have any idea the danger you just put the camp in?"

The color rose to Jason's cheeks. "I'm a praetor too, Reyna! I don't have to check with you before making decisions."

"Since when? When did we stop making decisions together?"

"Since you stopped separating logic from emotion."

Reyna narrowed her eyes. "Oh that's funny coming from you. You're sabotaging the entire world because... what? You're mad at Juno? Half the mythological world hates her!"

"I'm doing this to save us!" Jason hissed. "Those onagers will end this quickly with no Roman casualties. Then the gods, fully Roman, will take Gaea out. Problem solved!"

"You don't know that! And even if you did, what happens when the triumvirate or whatever comes to collect their payment? We can't trust them!"

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Isn't that what Diocletian said?"

"Don't bring Diocletian into this." The memory stung a little, they had both planned to model their leadership off of his style. Before Jason disappeared of course. Jason met her gaze and Reyna knew he was thinking about those moments too.

Reyna swallowed the lump in her throat. "I can't let you use those. The senate will listen to me over you."

"Reyna, no! This is how we win, you have to see that!" Jason's good eye pleaded with her, and Reyna remembered what Anissa said. You idolize him too much, you always have. Trust your own judgement.

"No. This is not how we win."

Jason's eye turned frosty cold. "Then you leave me no choice. If you refuse to endorse this, I'll tell the senate about your father."

A weight dropped in Reyna's stomach. "You wouldn't," she whispered hoarsely. "Even Octavian never-"

"That's the deal." Jason's voice was hard and he turned away from her. "This is war, Reyna. I have to do what it takes."

His footsteps faded with the ringing in her ears. Reyna's mouth was dry. How could he? When she'd finally, finally worked up the courage to tell Jason and Octavian, it was Jason who touched her arm, who said it's okay, you didn't mean to. It wasn't your fault. And it was Octavian who said even is she had meant to do it, her father deserved it. In all the fights, the arguments, the glares she'd exchanged with Octavian this last year, he'd never breathed a word to anyone about it. And here was Jason, her oldest and kindest friend.

This is war, Reyna. I have to do what it takes. Reyna gripped the wall to stabilize herself. Whoever this new Jason was, it wasn't the person she knew. So whatever reservations she had about going behind his back were gone. I have to do what it takes too, Jason. And I have more allies than you do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 222 10
"Look, I ran out of suppressants and I just need to run into a store somewhere to get them. It will only take me, like, ten minutes give or take. Pro...
37.6K 1.1K 40
❝𝐈 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐃𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐇𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍.❞ ══════════════════════ 𝐀...
27.2K 980 84
Under the rule of Emperor Zeus, the Roman Empire has become wealthier and larger than ever, but not everyone benefits from the increased riches. Perc...
18.1K 754 53
||HIGHEST RANK: #1 in KaneChronicles|| ||#20 in HeroesOfOlympus|| ||PJO Watty Award Winner|| This is a Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles/Magnus Chase F...