Shade Of Love

By Faithskyyx96

**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on t... More

1 | The Meet
2 | Until Next Time
3 | Plans
4 | The Beach Day
5 | History
6 | Reality
7 | Me & You
8 | The Aftermath
9 | Therapy
10 | The Weekend
11 | The Weekend Part II
12 | The Weekend Part III
13 | Let's Be Real
14 | Into The Deep
15 | Sinderella
16 | The Rift
17 | Pick A Side
18 | Home To Mama
19 | Heartbreak
20 | Sextasy
21 | I Think I Love You
22 | Reunited
23 | Anita
24 | Secrets
25 | Monday
26 | Sensuality
27 | Unforgettable
28 | There Will Be Drama Part I
29 | There Will Be Drama Part II
30 | Time
31 | No Games
32 | Business
33 | Accountability
34 | The Truth
35 | Girls' Night
36 | Purpose
38 | Warning
39 | The Impossible
40 | Maybe Baby
41 | Confirmation
42 | Final Warning
43 | Safer
44 | Irreplaceable
45 | Panic
46 | Big Moment
47 | Spill The Beans
48 | Exposed
49 | Path
50 | Trouble
51 | Home
52 | Let's Get Married .. Part 1
53 | Let's Get Married .. Part 2
54 | That Time Of Year
55 | Merry Christmas
56 | Loose Ends
57 | Questions
58 | Karma
59 | At Last
New Book

37 | Scarlett

1.9K 77 14
By Faithskyyx96

Chapter 37 : Scarlett

Scarlett's POV/Introduction

I sat on the edge of my bed watching a classic episode of friends as I grubbed on a bowl of Reese's puff cereal. It was one of those shows that never got old to me.

In all honesty, it was a show that had everything I had always wanted, genuine friends.

I've had about 20 friends in my lifetime and only about 3 of them are still around. Sad right? Yeah I know.

The thing is though, my line of work isn't exactly fit for me to have friends or any kind of emotional relations. I kill people, I mean like literally. So anyone too close is automatically a liability.

My mother died in a car crash when I was only 8 years old. Me and my two younger brothers were forced to move with my father in New Jersey and join his side of the family in their "business".

My father is an original mob boss straight out of the slums of jersey. He owns a pizza restaurant there that he also uses as a headquarters for his other not so kind activities.

I never asked to be apart of anything, but I wasn't given a choice. I started out just washing dishes as a kid at the restaurant, then I moved my way up to become one of the managers and before I knew it I got introduced to the brutal duties.

I didn't start out killing anybody, my father never thought I had that in me. I just would lure guys' in that owed debts to my father's business and crew and leave them to do the dirtier work.

I didn't catch my first body until I was 18 surprisingly, I'm 27 now so I've been doing this for nearly 10 years.

I guess I should start from the beginning.

I had managed to save up some money to get me and my younger brothers Giovani and Lorenzo out of New Jersey but the only place I could find where I knew I had other family members for some support was in Florida.

I ended up moving into some projects where my Aunt Laila stayed. I was only 17 with no credit whatsoever so she had to persuade the property owner to allow me to sign a lease under her name but in my own unit.

I'd grew up in the darker parts of Jersey as a kid/teen so seeing people fight in the middle of the street at 2:00am or get shanked with all kinds of knives in the middle of the day didn't phase me much.

I hated that I had to move to another bad place because I wanted more for myself but most importantly my brothers. I just kept telling myself that somehow it would all work out.

A few months after we got settled into our apartment the unthinkable happened. My youngest brother Giovanni who was only 15 at the time came home from school with bruises all over and blood pouring from his face.

He'd been jumped by 4 other guys much bigger than him in the bathroom for being "white". I knew the school had a horrible rating and was right in the middle of some of the worst hoods in the city, but it was the only one in walking distance that would accept two brand new students from out of a new state in the end of the school year.

My brothers were extremely quiet and to themselves, they didn't bother anybody and couldn't even stomach inflicting pain on others', so this happening absolutely made me livid.

The next day I walked up to the school with them and tried speaking with an administrator, that was a fail. I decided I'd have Giovanni show me some of the guys that did this to him and I'd take matters into my own hands.

When he pointed them out to me I waited until the bell rang and most of the students began walking into their first period classrooms.

I snatched the loudest one as quick as I possibly could and pushed him into a locker forcefully.

"Why the fuck did you jump my brother?," I snarled.

"Who is your brother?," he replied, coughing as I held tightly onto his throat.

"The new kid Giovanni, he says you jumped him for being white why is that?," I asked, frowning my face up.

"That was my friends that made me do that I don't have no problem with white people."

"I suggest you stop being a fucking follower or else I'm gonna make you swallow that lock right there" I snapped, pushing his head into a locker.

I strutted away out of the school and began walking down the sidewalk back to my place.

"Damn girl you looking good what's your number ma?," asked a guy staring at me that I had walked past. He had a cocoa brown skin tone that glistened in the sun and even darker eyes that mesmerized me upon contact.

"911, back the hell up," I snapped, pulling out a can of pepper spray.

"Whoa whoa! Damn ma it ain't even like that."

"Yes it is I don't know you and I ain't the one to play around with," I replied.

"I'm peanut but you can call me dre, this my hood. You the first white girl I done seen around here that ain't on crack."

"I'm Scarlett."

"It suits you right with the burgundy hair and all, it's natural?"

"Nope, I'm a natural brunette but I'm spicy so red is my color," I replied.

"Well take my number down," he insisted, staring at me while biting his bottom lip.

"I'll pass, bye."

I continued to walk down the sidewalk and could feel his eyes attached to my back. I smiled and kept going as fast as I could until I got back to my apartment.

I didn't want to make friends or have a boyfriend at all, I had brothers to take care of. I had dropped out of school just to get money consistently to move us out of Jersey. So for now, I'd ignore "peanut" and whoever else might come my way.

Months went by and my 18th birthday arrived on July 21st. Yes, I was a cancer. I'm moody but to know me is to love me.

My brothers and me spent the day with our Aunt Laila at her house celebrating. It was our family tradition on birthdays to get together and have 3 different course meals and eat different desserts.

Around 8pm we heard a lot of commotion outside in the complex so me and my aunt ran outside to see what was going on.

In the middle of the street a middle-aged man was standing over a teenage female punching her with full blows to the chest. He was screaming at her about outing him to his wife.

So not only was he a pedofile he was also a woman beater, two automatic death wishes where I was from.

"Get off her, get off her!," my aunt yelled running towards the guy. She grabbed one of his arms to stop him from punching the younger girl and screamed at her to run.

The girl got up and began running in the opposite direction. This furiated the guy and he immediately retaliated against my aunt throwing her to the ground kicking her.

People sat around screaming and yelling, some even mentioned calling the cops but nobody intervened.

Sirens began to roar in the distance so the man took off down the street as fast as he could, leaving my aunt there clutching for her life. I grabbed onto her hand and held it tightly while tears streamed from my eyes.

My lip quivered and my hands shook as I sat there next to her unknowing of what to expect. She was in terrible condition, I had wished that I had been braver but promised myself that this wasn't over.

The paramedics arrived after the cops had a statement and took my aunt to the nearest hospital. I told her I'd meet her there since I had to make sure my brothers got back home safely.

After I secured my brothers back home I walked down the street and approached Dre's door. I had ended up hanging out with him a bit over the last couple of weeks, casually.

I banged on the door as hard and fast as I could. I had begun crying again and tried to wipe the tears from my eyelids but hadn't been successful.

The door swung open and there he stood with heartfelt eyes. His face had turned worried as soon as he seen the tears in my eyes.

" I need a gun."

"What for?," he asked.

"If I tell you that you'll be an accomplice," I replied.

"I can't just give you a gun without a reason, plus you don't even know how to use one."

"I'll figure it out," I snapped.

He nodded and invited me into his apartment. He disappeared down the hallway and returned with several hand guns. He dropped them on the kitchen counter and told me to pick.

"That one," I said pointing at a Glock 43.

"Nah, too strong."

"I said I want that one," I repeated firmly, gritting my teeth together.

"If you take this one I gotta come with you, for protection."

"Fine if you're ready to see someone dead."

"Let's ride," he replied.

We made our way down the street to a nearby park and sure enough we found the man I had been searching for.

He sat at a park bench fidgeting with his hands, he appeared to be nervous. That was to be expected.

I had told Dre what had happened and he was all aboard. He had a grudge against pedofiles and woman beaters as well.

"You aren't smart," I smirked, approaching the bench. I had my middle, ring and pinky fingers wrapped gently around the grip of my gun which was pointing directly at the back of his head. Peanut followed me closely.

The man flinched up when he heard my voice and attempted to turn towards me but failed to do so, I guess he felt the gun.

"I'm sorry," he said dully, as he placed both of his hands up in the air.

"You like little girls? Teenagers?," I asked. Shifting my feet slowly back and forth.

"She was old enough to tell me she wanted it," he replied.

"She's a fucking kid!"

"It's none of your damn business," he snarled. He then turned around and slapped me across the face with the palm of his hand.

I felt a sense of fire go across my cheeks, both physically and mentally. I was yet another woman he had laid hands on today, I'd be the last.

I flung backwards a bit but still kept my grip on the gun. I aimed it back at his chest and removed the safety latch.

"You ain't gonna do nothing with that you bitch now get away from me before you end up like them other bitches today in that street," he laughed while brushing me off.

In that moment seeing him smile at the thought of hurting women and specifically a young girl and older woman set my blood at a boiling point.

Before I knew it I lightly placed my finger on the trigger and pulled it.

I put a hole right in the middle of his chest. I had missed the heart since I wasn't yet experienced but regardless he bled out.

Peanut and I flung the gun into a nearby river overlooking the park and fled the scene. I sat there in silence the whole ride to the hospital where my aunt was admitted.

This was nearly a decade ago. I had zero remorse now, zero sympathy. I killed for fun and funds.

I pulled a burner phone out of my drawer and dialed Faith's number. I needed to check and see when exactly she wanted this done and more importantly if she had my payment ready.

"Hello?", she answered.

"Are you ready?," I asked.

"I will be soon. Trying to get things figured out," she replied.

"Don't keep me waiting. I'm calling back in 48 hours if you aren't ready by then I'm backing out," I replied, disconnecting the call.

I know what some of you might be thinking. So she's like a hitman? The answer is yes, but I'm a hit woman. More importantly, I'm a hit woman that doesn't miss.

A/N : Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading! We've officially gotten to over 13k reads so I plan on making my chapters much longer. How'd y'all like Scarlett? She's going to be a HUGE character over some of the upcoming chapters. Stay tuned. 🖤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.7K 434 58
Two broken souls in the midst of a crazy world. Two souls running away from their past. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel was c...
664K 39.8K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
1.5M 76.1K 113
In which, a paranoid schizophrenic vows to avenge his fiancee's death by taking revenge on the woman who Killed her. _____________ A modern day depic...
196K 8.4K 90
Hardworking Sarina loves her job and is considered a kind hearted girl. Along the way, she befriended an eccentric, mischievous old man. As they beca...