From Dusk Till Dawn

By deadpoetdreamer

Jospeh Capurso has always dreamt of a fresh start ever since immigrating from Italy to the United Stated when... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: the beginning of the storm- Joseph's pov
Chapter 2: My Future- Louise's Pov
Chapter 3: Solitary Creatures-Joseph's pov
Chapter 4 -Part 1: Two Unlucky Pennies- Louise's Pov
Chapter 4-Part 2: Two Unlucky Pennies
Chapter 5: The Good, the Bad and the Innocent- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 6: Seeing is Believing-Louise's Pov
Chaper 7: Promises and Past Regrets- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 8: The firing of Mr. Soulless- Louise's pov
Chapter 9: Things Could Be Much Worse, Right?- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 10: Broken Secrets and Promises- Louise's pov
Chapter 11: Liar, Liar, Your World is on Fire- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 12: A Woman's Power and Privilege- Louise's Pov
Chapter 13:Stubborn Lovers-Joseph's Pov
Chapter 14: Truthful Lies- Louise's Pov
Chapter 15: Unending nightmares-Joseph's pov
Chapter 16: Prison Jumper- Louise's Pov
Chapter 17: Unfiltered Letters and Conversations- Joseph's pov
Chapter 18: Disappearances and Appearances- Louise's POV
Chapter 19: The Waiting Game- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 20: Living the Dream- Louise's Pov
Chapter 21: The Tale of the Lost Blue Diamond- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 22: Foolish Plans- Louise's Pov
Chapter 23: Flying Higher-Louise's Pov
Chapter 24: New Views-Joseph's Pov
Chapter 25:The Fight- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 26:Happiness Comes with a Cost- Louise's Pov
Chapter 27: Well, That's News to Me- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 28: Leaps of Faith-Louise's pov
Chapter 29:The Sailor's Disappearing Act- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 30: There's No Place Like Home- Louise's Pov
Chapter 31: Old Faces- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 33: Goodbye Again- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 34: Against all Morals- Louise's Pov.
Chapter 35: Seeing Things Clearer- Joseph's Pop
Chapter 36: X Marks the Spot- Louise's Pov
Chapter 37:Promises For An Eternity-Joseph's Pov.
Chapter 38: The Brave Man- Louise's Pov
Chapter 39: Loopy Love- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 40: Deja Vu- Louise's Pov.
Chapter 41: SURPRISE!- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 42: The Past is Not the Future-Louise's Pov.
Chapter 43: From Dusk Till Dawn- Joseph's Pov.
Chapter 44: The Reveal- Louise's Pov.
Chapter 45: Pinky Promise- Louise's Pov
Chapter 46: Love is Real Beauty- Louise's Pov.
Chapter 47: Home Sweet Home- Joseph's Pov
Chapter 48: Together Until the Very End- Louise's Pov
Epilogue

Chapter 32: Homesick- Louise's Pov

22 8 50
By deadpoetdreamer

After a little over a month Joseph had been reunited with some of his family. As I watched his grandparents wrap their frail arms around Joseph's equally small frame, I noticed something different about his face. The long, tired and frightened boy I've gotten to know these past few months has a new mask. No, not a mask. His mask has been shredded and now lets his true colors show.

He's home where he belongs. Joseph has his grandparents and his childhood crush here. If only he had the rest of his family here with him then he'd be truly happy. As Elenora, Joseph and his grandparents begin conversing at what his life has been like in America, I begin to feel homesick.

Not longing for my old life where I felt trapped, but my life where I had Ruby, Bea, my friends and maybe even my mother. I miss her snarkiness around the penthouse. Maybe Joseph was right, she does care about me, her way is just a bit overwhelming.

I find myself sneaking out of the house, to the porch. It's a small porch that overlooks Truin. We sure climbed a long way up but it makes it worth it since the view from above is stunning.

I find a painted white swing on the porch and sit. My emotions are all over the place right now. I need to cry but the tears won't come. It's better that I don't show weakness around these kind people since they're about to find out who my grandfather is and what he's done to their family. It's not my fault but it feels like it.

When I get all in my head like this I tend to run away from my problems. Such as now, I just want to leave and go find Beatrice on my own. I'm too much of a burden to Joseph and his family and maybe the only reason I'm helping Joseph is because I feel bad for what's happened.

"Hey," Joseph pops his head out the door. He smiles innocently down at me, like the same smile when he first kissed me. "Hey you," I brighten up my smile concealing the pain behind my eyes.

"Are you okay? You kind of just disappeared back there." Joseph inches his way out of the house, closing the door behind him. "I didn't want to get in your way of your family reunion." Joseph sits down close next to me. "You weren't in the way. I wanted to introduce you to them." I quickly stood up. Joseph watches me as he notices something off with me. I'm too obvious when trying to avoid anything highly romantic with him. It'd be a lot easier for the both of us if he just gave up.

"Then let's not waste another second." I answered hastily. Joseph opens the door without question and follows me inside the cold house.

I anxiously walk over to them with sweat forming on my palms. They look me up and down, already judging me. "Nonno, nonna this is my good friend Louise Decker."

"It's nice to meet you. Joseph has told me some about you both." I smile nervously before shaking their hands. "Tutto bene, spero." His short and plump grandfather says in Italian. All good, I hope. That's what I believe he said. Nevertheless, Joseph translated for me.

"Si signore," I answer with a trace of confidence. Joseph's grandfather then pulls me into a tight, boney hug. His grandmother watches me with scary eyes. I can tell by her look that she already doesn't like me. Joseph must've told them everything while I was outside.

"You know Italian? Have you been teaching her Joseph?" Elenora questions him. "No, my maid is Italian and has taught me some. I'm still a bit new at the language," I explained.

"You have a maid? So you're rich?" Gasps Elenora. "Ellie, not the time," Scowls Joseph. "Sorry, sorry, Joseph just mentioned that you were also here for a family member, may she be your maid?" I nod, still feeling uncomfortable with his nonna's stare. It makes me seem like a spoiled brat when I talk about having a maid and caring about her more than what she is.

"Voi due dovete essere affamati. Preparo tutto e al mattino inizieremo la nostra ricerca di quella mitica collana." This time I sat back and let Joseph translate it for me.

I'm way out of practice and haven't had the time to practice the language. Joseph soon tells me he says, "You two must be hungry. I will get everything prepared and in the morning we will start our search for that mythical necklace." He nods before he looks over at his wife.

She nods at me with a straight face before following her husband into their small kitchen. "Come with me Louise." Elenora grabs my hand leading me to her bedroom.

"Since you'll be staying with me tonight, you have to let me mess around with your gorgeous locks." She sits me down in her rickety chair that sits in front of the cracked mirror.

After about a few weeks I got my first glance of myself in the mirror. I have heavy bags under my green emerald eyes from the lack of sleep. My hair was, well let's just say if mother saw my hair like this she'd scorch it and buy the most expensive wig and force me to wear it out.

Touching my blonde curls, I notice their knots in it. I cringe in pain as I try to finger brush my tender hair. "It could be worse, you could have attained lice or something gross," Joseph comments. He leans against the door frame watching me untangle my hair.

"Joseph, don't you have anything more important to do then just gawk and spew disgusting ideas at us." Elenora shoos him out of the room to help cook dinner.

"Let go of your hair Louise, I'm going to brush your hair." Elenora's smile broadens as she investigates my hair. "It's like Joseph hasn't changed one bit." Elenora begins as she places the brush on my maine. "You two really had a crush on each other back when you were eight?" My curiosity is taking over.

"Yeah, all of the teachers and parents thought we were made for each other and that when we got older, we'd marry. Unfortunately that never happened." She sighs and continues brushing. "Did you ever date anyone or are you right now?" Elenora shakes her head with a smile.
"I've had a crush on other boys but what you call dated, no. But when I saw Joseph here today, I think all of my deep feelings for him rushed back. He's rather handsome, don't you think Louise?" I blush a bit.

"Yeah he's really handsome." I look down at my folded hands on my dress. "And an amazing artist. Have you seen his sketches?"

"No, but right before our letters stopped, Joseph mentioned his new profound love for it." Elenora smiles to herself as she twists my brushed out hair into an updo. A few pieces of shorter hair dangle out around my face.

"Unfortunately my makeup doesn't match your skintone but I believe this bright red lipstick would match you perfectly." She tucks the little bits of loose hair behind my ears.

"Oh, I don't think that'll be necessary but I do appreciate it. Let me put some makeup on you." I let her sit down. "Do you think it'll be enough to impress Joseph?" She looks up at me. "You're already naturally gorgeous so I think he'd admire you with or without it. But the makeup I put on you now will make you look mature and fabulous." I compliment her. She smiles kindly up at me in appreciation.

I put her brown curly hair half up and let the rest dangle down her waist. "You look about my size, try on this. My zia made it for me." She takes a bright red buttoned up dress out of her wardrobe and allows me to change into it.

My height towers over her so the dress is a bit tight on me but I look amazing in the dress. I twirl around in the dress welcoming it's soft fabric. "Your zia is talented." I admire myself in the dress as Elenora slips into the same dress. Though the one she wears is a beautiful teal one.

"Ladies cena is ready." Joseph knocks before entering. "Are you re-" Joseph stops in place as his eyes land on us, particularly me. His eyes rake my body before I clear my voice. "Uh you look you really bea- nice you look really nice, the both of you." His eyes flicker to Elenora quickly before he meets mine again.

"Then let's not keep your family waiting." I read Joseph's stare. He smiles awkwardly before leading us out of the room. Elenora flashes an excited smile at me but it's not what she thinks. Joseph's eyes were on me as were his compliments.
I've decided while I'm here, I'll help my new friend with Joseph. I know it seems like I'm pushing Joseph away from me but my reasons are my own. Along with that I was pushing my own feelings for him down. Nightmare Beatrice may be right about me pushing people I care about away. But I can't help it, it's just who I am.

Elenora was clearly still in love with him and while Joseph has feelings for me I can see by the way he looks at her, he feels something for her too. Afterall I'm pretty sure that's where the name for his telephone came from. He has a strong connection to her and that's something that's undeniable. I'm just some girl he happened to save from a wild snow storm. I mean I can tell by the way his nonna looks at me, she blames me for her family's downfall. What am I supposed to do about that?

~ ~ ~

Chapter posted: 6/28/2021

Poor Louise is missing home. What do y'all think of Elenora so far and her crush on Joseph? How do you think Joseph feels about her?

Until next time. . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.8K 819 46
This is a sequel, so read "Dating a YouTuber?!" first. I wholeheartedly loved and trusted Nate despite having known him less than a year. I had a mil...
872 20 8
It needed to be the perfect marriage, a false conception, and they needed to be devoted to each other in order to keep the peace at bay. Elena Viscus...
36.7K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
519K 10.9K 36
{MAFIA ROMANCE} "You, Aria, are like a piece of music that I could listen to, over and over again, and never get tired of hearing." Aria Remington w...