Daughter of England

By cradle_life

Caroline Winther has everything a girl in Victorian England can wish for. A kind, caring family, plenty of mo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1. The Decision.
Chapter 2. Scutari.
Chapter 3. The Butcher Test.
Chapter 4. A War Nurse.
Chapter 5. The Wounded Soldier.
Chapter 6. Matters of the Heart.
Chapter 7. When All is Dark.
Chapter 8. The End of the War.
Chapter 9. To Cherish and to Hold.
The Life and Times of Florence Nightingale.
Bibliography and Acknowledgements.

Epilogue

1K 98 15
By cradle_life

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."--Charles Dickens

Epilogue.

March 1857.

The HMS Britannia stood docked in the harbor, waiting for the tide to come in so she could set out for the open sea. Carol stood on the pier with Eric, watching as the wind blew through the ship's flags. It had been a year since her marriage to the young officer, and it had come with its fair share of trials. Carol's health had been quite broken and took a long time in restoring. Eric had continued his battle for his sight, and at last had won the war. Light no longer hurt him, he could walk in broad daylight with not fear. His vision was perhaps a little worse than what it had been, but not enough to hinder his army career.

With his health back, he had been commissioned to the 31st Regiment of Madras Native Infantry. This was exactly why the husband and wife stood t the pier, waiting for the tide.

"Eric dearest," Carol softly said, "I believe the most wonderful part is that it is the very battalion Dr. Morris has been sent too. I shall be glad to see the old windbag once more."

Eric chuckled from her words. "I doubt he will be pleased to know you call him that."

"Oh, I never say it to his face. He wrote me and informed me not to expect idleness when we arrive, for he shall take me as his assistant." Carol paused for half a second. "If you do not mind of course," she added.

"I do not mind," Eric lovingly reassured. "In fact I am glad you will have something to occupy you while I am busy with my duties."

"Carol!" The voice of her sister made the two of them turn around.

"Ann!" She exclaimed. "Here you are at last. I was afraid you would be late."

"The Winthers are never late!" Rick stated with pride. "Where are the Carrywiths?"

"We bid them goodbye at the Hall," Eric said. "Father felt it would be easier for them if they didn't accompany us to the ship. Mamma could hardly stop from crying as it was."

"My dearest, dearest child," Lady Elizabeth wept. "I wish you would not go so far away. Cannot you stay in England? India is such a hot, such a heathen place."

"Oh, Mamma," Carol kindly chided, "you must stop crying. I shall be perfectly well. Eric will see to that. And you must be certain to write me and tell me how it is going here. Write me often, Ann dearest, do you understand?"

"Take care of my child, Eric," Lady Elizabeth commanded.

"Rest assured she is safe with me." Eric bowed slightly and kissed Lady Elizabeth's hand.

"Look for my name in the papers," Rick said with a proud grin. "One day you may read how Richard Winther has become Prime Minister."

Ann rolled her eyes at this statement, but Carol let out a giggle. "The papers will no doubt be the only place I shall hear of it, for you never write, Rick."

"I am just always very busy! It is a pity you shall not be here for my wedding. You did hear that Father gave his consent to my marrying Lord Wrayburn's daughter?"

"I heard and I am very glad. Be sure to send me a piece of the cake, and you might as well throw in a slice for Eric."

"Carol, you are a silly girl," Ann laughed. "What shall I do without you?"

"Spend more time with my sister," Eric suggested, "you are sisters now. Perhaps you will go out into society more often. Betsy is to come out this summer. My father will host a grand ball, and I know he will invite you."

"Oh wonderful!" Ann rolled her eyes. "How you have comforted me, Eric! You know better than anyone I cannot abide balls and parties."

"Carol!" A new voice called out. Carol whirled around, recognizing it instantly.

"Florence!" she exclaimed, rushing over and taking her friend by the hands. "I am so glad you have come to see me off!"

"I would never have missed it," Florence replied. "I am so excited and glad for you. I heard you are to be Dr. Morris' assistant once again. It seems impossible to separate the two of you."

"It does indeed," Carol giggled. "He is already in India and we are to meet him when we arrive. I cannot quite believe everything has turned out the way it did."

"God has worked it out for good," Florence said with a smile. "You trusted Him and He gave you the desires of your heart. You are married to Eric and you have become a nurse. I am proud of your Carol, proud that you pushed past the odds and the roadblocks. There were lessons learned along the way, and in the end you came out victorious. I hope you shall help many people as you follow the path of nursing."

"I wish you were coming with me," Carol confessed. "I would feel so much safer knowing that you are there to guide me as you once did."

"No, Carol," Florence smiled, "I cannot always lead you by the hand. The time has come for you to walk independently."

"I shall still miss you very much, dear Floy."

"I shall too, but you know you still have my love and if you ever feel lost or lonely, remember this thought. Love isn't bound to time or space, and my love will travel with you on the ship and remain with you."

Carol smiled and kissed her dear friend. "Thank you for everything, Floy, I would never have become what I am now without your help. I will pray for you as you continue to follow your calling, and that God guide you each step of the way."

Florence squeezed Carol's hand. "And I shall expect a detailed report on the conditions of the hospitals in India."

"You can count on my, dearest Floy," Carol laughed. "Though I doubt it will be possible for me to visit all of them."

"You know what I mean."

Everyone laughed at this. Carol sighed and looked at the faces surrounding her; everyone she dearly loved had already bid her goodbye. Except for one person.

"Papa will not come to see me off, will he?" She quietly asked her brother. He shook his head.

"I don't think he is ready to see you yet, Carol, but in time he will come too. He wishes you well and hope you will find happiness in the life you have chosen to lead. I know he's a stubborn man, but Ann and I will do our best to help him understand your calling."

Rick's hopeful attitude made Carol smile. "You always know how to make me feel better, Rick," she said. "I shall miss you in India."

"And I shall all miss you," Rick kindly replied, giving his sister a kiss. "But you must go with your husband and we must remain here. Perhaps one day I'll even come to visit you."

"I would like that very much," Carol smiled.

"Come, Carol, we must board the ship." Eric said. "The tide is coming in."

"Goodbye Mamma, give all my love to Papa." Carol kissed her loved ones goodbye and looping her arm through Eric's, walked with him on board the ship. Lady Elizabeth cried as she watched her depart. Carol was no longer the young, arrogant girl who had once marched out of their home. In these three short years, Carol had become a strong, mature woman.

***

Carol and Eric waved from on board the deck as the figures of Florence and her family slowly began disappearing.

"I cannot believe your father still insists on being angry with you?" Eric's voice was tainted with disapproval.

"Oh," Carol gave a little sigh, "my father has a good heart, but it is hidden beneath a rough exterior. I wish I knew how to melt the ice and once again restore good relations. I have written to him several letters, asking for forgiveness, but he never answered one of them. What more does he want me to do?"

Eric gazed in sympathy at Carol, wishing he could give advice, but not having any answers. "Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible about a man's foes being the people of his own house."

"And this is comfort, Eric?" Carol frowned at him.

"Probably not," Eric grinned sheepishly, "but that is the only answer I have."

"Perhaps you had better tell me how is it that you came to forgive me so easily and Papa didn't?"

"Because I was at the hospital, I was one of the wounded, and being there helped me to understand your calling. When I realized what a fool I had been, I promised God that if he would only grant me back my sight, I would help you realize you dream. I believe if you father had seen you in Scutari as I had, he would come to understand too. He was offended when you told him you did not care for the title of being his child, perhaps if you could somehow show him that you are proud to be his daughter, then he will come to forgive the words you spoke to him that fateful day."

Carol rested her head on his arm and let out a little sigh. "It is like Dr. Morris said, if one learns anything in the world of medicine it is patience. And it is a lesson I must continue to learn.

"We will write him," Eric promised. "We will do everything in our part to bridge the gap that was made, but he must do his part too. Trust God, my love, and pray for you father. God knows, God cares, and God will take care of everything. He has never proven Himself false, has He?"

Carol looked into the deep brown eyes of her husband. Living proof of God's love stood right in front of her. It was still a miracle to her that those beautiful eyes could look at her and see her. "You are right, Eric," she whispered. "How fortunate I am to have you as my husband."

"How fortunate I am to have you as my wife," Eric softly replied, his grip on her tightening and his lips locking with hers. When their lips parted, Eric brushed some of the loose hair out of her face. "Many things are still uncertain, but there is one thing I know without a shadow of a doubt. England is proud to call you her daughter, your bravery, kindness and devotion to her sons will not be forgotten."

"It is not like England knows about me," Carol laughed. "I was but one of many nurses, each of which gave their all for the wounded at the hospitals. Allow time to pass and I am sure no one will even remember I even existed."

"I will remember," Eric whispered. "I will always remember."

"And that is all the recognition I shall ever need," Carol concluded and kissed her husband once again.

l

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 146 33
Callie - Losing everything she every loved Callie starts a new life outside of the army trying to mend her broken heart, not sure where she suppose t...
11K 657 53
extract; " I love you, that is why i do all this ,I am in love with you.Everything I did, i did because I love you.I think about you all the time I c...
1.1M 29K 30
An ordinary girl falls for an extraordinary soldier.
1M 39.9K 26
Rachel had survived the worst kind of heartache and had moved on with her life by following a dream that she had always had, to be a medical relief w...