Heart As Cold As Ice | 18+ | ✓

By lau_matthews

2021 Watty's Shortlist! *Mostly edited* T/W: physical abuse "Why did you sign me up for Tinder?" I roll my ey... More

author's note
01: alondra
02: alondra
03: alondra
04: jack
05: alondra
06: alondra
07: alondra
08: jack
09: alondra
10: alondra
11: alondra
12: jack
13: alondra
14: alondra
15: alondra
16: jack
17: alondra
19: alondra
20: jack
21: alondra
22: alondra
23: alondra
24: jack
25: alondra
26: alondra
27: alondra
28: jack
29: alondra
30: alondra
31: alondra
32: jack
33: alondra
34: alondra
35: alondra
36: jack
37: alondra
epilogue
author's note
Wattys+Book 2*Poll*
Future Plans + Leaving Wattpad

18: alondra

15.2K 505 58
By lau_matthews

"Would you live in a house that somebody got murdered in?" I ask Jack as he works on a problem for a practice test I printed out. We've still got two weeks to prepare for his test, but Jack wanted to get a head start.

"I dunno, probably. What about you?"

I continue writing out the flashcards I'm helping him make. Usually he'd be making them himself, but I'm bored out of my mind. "Probably. You'd get a killer deal on it."

"Alondra."

Goosebumps ripple across my arms from his southern drawl. See, that shouldn't be happening. Nope. Friends.

"What?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Killer deal?" Jack asks, his dimples showing on his cheeks.

Wait. Murder house, killer deal. "Holy shit!" I gasp loudly and he starts to laugh full heartedly.

"I didn't think you noticed," Jack muses and I burst into giggles.

"Not at all. Damn, I'm the funniest person I know."

I clap my hands excitedly because it's even funnier I didn't realize that my choice of words was perfect. Jack shakes his head at me and resumes his test. There's two days until Halloween and it feels like the school year is flying by.

I watch him carefully, practically seeing how the gears are moving in his brain as Jack works. His mom cut his hair while she was here so it's much shorter on the sides and longer on top. My fingers are itching to run through the soft locks.

Then my attention goes to his very kissable lips. Kissing Jack feels like a faint memory. His bottom lip is slightly more full than the top one but they're proportional with his face. His cheekbones are high, his jaw sharp with a dusting of stubble across it.

Fuck. I need to stop checking him out. All I can hear in my head right now is stupid Pritchett going 'You're hot. He's hot. You'd make hot babies.' I mean what the fuck?

I push myself up abruptly from the bed. "I'm grabbing a beer, want anything?" I ask, knowing full well that Dylan keeps the fridge stocked at all times.

"No thanks darling, I'm good."

I walk out of Jack's room and downstairs where I find Ruby and Dylan getting hot and heavy on the couch. At the rate they're going, I'm surprised they're both still wearing clothes. I snicker quietly and quietly grab my drink and a water for Jack just incase he changes his mind about wanting anything.

"Jack you won't believe what I just saw in the living room," I grin at him.

"I'm gonna take a quick guess and say Ruby and Dylan?"

I hand the water to him, "Yes! That must happen often then right?"

"Let's just say I'm glad that Coop's room is next to his instead of mine. They put on plenty of shows in the living room if you're unlucky enough to walk in at one of those times." He jokes and I shudder dramatically.

"Gross."

Jack laughs and I take a long drink. I can't imagine ever hooking up with someone just out in the open. He hands me the test after I put my bottle down, "I finished while you were downstairs."

"What do you think you got?" I ask before I even pick up my pen.

He thinks for a moment and glances at the paper. There's a flash of uncertainty in his eyes and I'm taken aback. I think that Jack is so confident in every other aspect of his life except for his academics. It's not even his fault though. Dyslexia isn't something he asked for and it's clear that he's embarrassed by it. Jack shouldn't be though.

"Hopefully above a seventy-five, realistically, probably a seventy." Jack says after a moment of contemplation.

I smile reassuringly at him, "I'm sure you did fine. There's still two weeks to go so plenty of time no matter what you score."

He's telling me all about the freshman who showed up to morning practice today late, smelling like a bar while I grade his test. I wasn't surprised when Jack said my dad kicked him out of practice and told him not to come back. I guess it wasn't the first time he'd done this and they only started regular season practices two weeks ago.

Jack didn't do terrible on the test. He got a seventy-one and thankfully wasn't too upset by it. It's what he was expecting but still disappointing I'm sure.

"You guys are coming to Halloween right?"

"That's what it sounds like. Pritchett said we're going as power rangers but I'm sure it isn't going to be the kids version." I joke and he grins.

"So you're going to be a slutty power ranger. What color?"

"Pink of course. It's not slutty either."

Jack's smile tells me that he doesn't believe me. Hell, I don't think I even believe me. Pritchett can be a wild card. "Darling, you just said you were sure it wasn't going to be the kids version, which means it's going to be the slutty version. That's practically what Halloween is for chicks."

My cheeks flush and I shove his shoulder, "You're just worried because you're not going to be able to handle seeing me dressed as your childhood fantasy."

"How do you know I fantasized about power rangers? Maybe it was Dora?"

I snort and he joins me in laughter, "You...please tell me Dora wasn't your fantasy."

"What if she was?"

"I'd tell you that's gross because she is a child on a kids show and you better be fucking lying." I reply and he leans forward catching me by surprise.

"I am. Always had a thing for the pink power ranger." And then my heart stops when his lips brush over my cheek. Oh. Oh.

Jack winks playfully at me as he pulls away. I relax instead of freaking and crack a smile, "You suck. Three."

"You are so bad for my self-esteem," He teases and I roll my eyes.

"Your ego will survive."

He smirks and reaches to ruffle my hair. "See while I might be able to admit it could be hard seeing you in a skimpy costume, you have no idea what it's going to be like seeing me in the 'ole getup."

"Is that so?"

"Absofuckinglutely Al."

I play with the bottom of my sweatshirt, feeling like the conversation is heading in a direction it shouldn't. "How bout instead of talking about how you think I'm going to react to you playing cowboy, let's continue studying."

Realistically we only make it another half hour before Ruby is knocking on the door. "Hey, we're inviting some people over. Wanna come hang?"

Jack looks at me with a raised eyebrow in questioning. "I think my brain has absorbed as much as it's going to. I think a break would be good."

It does sound like fun. "Don't let me have more than one beer. I'm not going tomorrow morning if I'm hungover." Plus, I probably need to stay in my own bed tonight because I think all the time I'm spending with Jack is fucking with my head. It might help with all the assumption's being made by our friends if I do stay in the dorms instead of here.

He offers me a hand up off the bed, "Deal."

Ruby claps her hands excitedly. "Great! Peyton's already out somewhere, but I'm gonna text her and see if she'll come back. I think Dylan's going to invite some other guys from the team too."

"Sure, sounds fun."

Ruby disappears and I climb back up on the bed while Jack gives me a weird look. "What the hell are you doing? I thought we were going downstairs."

He takes a few steps closer and I turn Jack which surprisingly he lets me do before climbing onto his back. "Carry me."

"Really? Not even a please?"

You know what? If Jack can do a little flirting with the kiss on the cheek, then maybe I can too. I drop my mouth till it's right next to his ear, "Do I need to ask?"

His grip on me tightens and I take it a step further to plant my own kiss on his cheek. Jack grumbles, but wordlessly carries me down the stairs.

Dylan cracks a smile when he sees me, "What up's Al?"

"Taking a study break."

"Can I expect breakfast in the morning?" He teases and I flip him off quickly.

Ruby hits his shoulder, scolding Dylan. "Babe, don't be rude."

"Hell no, I've got places to be in the morning. Make your own," I reply laughing as I rest my chin on Jack's shoulder.

"She has a point Dyl. Who all is coming over?" Jack asks.

He shrugs and grabs his jacket, "I sent word out to a few guys on the team. Guess we'll find out when they get here."

Jack tilts his head to look at me, "Still wanna stay? I can drop you off at the dorms if you don't want to stay."

"Staying. Giddy up cowboy."

His chuckle causes my smile to grow.

The guys from the team start showing up a little bit later, most are guys I don't recognize. There's a group that enters and Jack's grip tightens as we walk towards the tallest in the bunch.

"Schultz!"

"Kane, been a while." Jack says, his tone friendly.

His friend, Kane apparently, looks up at me hanging onto Jack like a monkey before redirecting to Jack. "You know how it gets during season."

"I do. Surprised you're out. Thought your coach put you guys on a party ban this season?"

"What he doesn't know won't kill him. Besides, it's our bye week and this isn't a party. Just a lil get together. Coach ain't an idiot but as long as none of us get in deep shit then he'll let it slide."

Jack shakes his head, laughing shortly. "Whatever man, it's your grave. This is Al. Al, meet Seth Kane. He's the quarterback for the football team here."

I smile at him, "Nice to meet you." I mean if Jack's friends with him then he's got to be okay, right?

"I don't think I've seen you around. I'd definitely remember if I had." He winks flirtatiously at me and I giggle. Seth is definitely a looker. Not really my type, but definitely cute.

"Nuhuh, not this one. Alondra's off limits." Jack says, but there's a firmness to his voice that I haven't really heard before. I wiggle slightly in his grip and I tap his shoulder.

"I'm gonna go grab another beer. Let me down."

He hesitates, but lets me slide off. "Want me to come with?"

I roll my eyes and cross my arms, "No. I can get it myself. I don't need an escort."

Seth laughs and shakes his head, "You've got some sass, I see why he likes you."

"Just friends," I correct quickly and Jack nods slowly in agreement.

"Friends, but she's too good for you."

"Ignore him, he's a tad overprotective." I joke, shooting Jack a quick look before leaving them behind to go to the fridge I'd raided earlier for my first beer. Now there's coolers that have appeared out of nowhere, but I don't know who they belong to so I stick to the pack in the fridge. Jeez, I guess if the hockey team says there's going to be a get together, people come running.

I'm on my way back to Jack when Ruby pulls me aside and starts introducing me to some of her friends. I'm having a genuinely good time. I do keep an eye out for Jack though, but at this point there's too many people that the only thing I can do is scan for his head sticking out above others. So much for just inviting only a few people over.

Only problem is that there's so many athletes in this crowd that unfortunately all of the guys are tall making it hard to find Jack.

My anxiety is starting to creep into the back of my mind just from the sheer fact there's so many guys here. I do my best to focus on the conversation with Ruby and her friends, but they're talking about some show I haven't seen.

An arm slides around my waist and I smile, knowing that it's Jack. He's been awfully touchy feely lately. I don't mind either. After all, just friends.

It's the questioning look that Ruby gives me that is the first inkling that something's wrong.

"Hey, how do you know Al?" She asks boldly and I turn my head to look up at Jack.

"We're old friends." Grady says and I drop the beer in my hand out of shock. The girl next to me shrieks as the beer splashes her and I freeze.

Grady.

Grady.

Grady.

Grady's arm around me.

Not Jack.

Move Al. Don't just fucking stand here.

I force myself to try and move, but his grip tightens on my waist, holding me in place.

Alarm bells are going off in my head.

"Let me go," The words come out quietly, but it's loud enough for Ruby to hear.

He smiles charmingly at me, ignoring what I said with a warning crystal clear in his eyes. "Babe, I can't believe you didn't tell your friends about me." Then he turns to Ruby who is putting her phone back in her pocket. "She's fine. She's probably just had too much to drink."

Grady's fingers are digging into my hip tightly and I bite my lip hard. He won't do anything here. At least I don't think he will. Ruby's eyes are wide because we both know I'm not drunk.

"Guys, I'll catch up with you later. I wanna hear more about you two." Ruby says, smiling tightly at him. Her friends wander off, one of them grumbling about my spilled drink.

"Babe, why don't you tell the story." He says and I wince as his grip somehow tightens in warning. I'm not doing this. I got out before.

"High school. We met in high school. We've been broken up for eleven months."

If we weren't in front of people, I'm positive that'd be a hit to the stomach that would knock the air out of my lungs. What is he doing here?

His eyes are murderous, but to my relief, I hear Dylan. "What's going on here?" Ruby must have texted him.

"Al asked him to let her go and this guy ignored her." Ruby says and Grady pulls me tightly against him. I have no doubt I'm going to have bruises.

Dylan looks at me, "Do you want this guy here?"

"No." I say, using my hands to try to pry Grady's off of me.

Grady laughs darkly, holding fast. "Why don't you go find your buddy Jack and tell him I want to talk to him about how he's been fucking my girl."

"I'm not your girl." I don't even bother denying that we're not fucking because Grady isn't going to believe me. Dylan tries to step closer, but he can't do anything with Grady holding fast to me.

"Let her go and maybe I won't kick your ass," Dylan says firmly. The music is still playing around us as the party continues.

"C'mon babe, we're leaving."

"No."

Grady's eyes darken at my refusal. "Have you forgotten what happened last time? We are leaving." His grip is painful and a whimper escapes my mouth as he digs his fingertips into my skin.

It's the fact that I know exactly how Ruby is looking at me right now. I know Dylan's smart enough that he's pieced it all together, especially after the afternoon him and Jack were there.

"Get your hands off of her and get the fuck out of my house," Jack says from behind me. I can see Grady making the assessment in his head on if he can take both Dylan and Jack. One on one, probably. Two on one, no fucking way.

Finally, fucking finally, he lets me go. I wrap my arms around myself, retreating to stand between Jack and Dylan.

"I told you to stay away from her." Grady responds, his eyes glaring down to me. "Alondra."

I flinch. I fucking flinch and I hate that I do.

"I don't give a shit what you told me. I don't answer to you and neither does she. Get the fuck out before I call the police." He threatens lowly and people are starting to pay attention to us now that Jack's involved and the police have been mentioned.

Grady stares at me, not acknowledging anything Jack has just said and I know that I was a fool for thinking that he loved me at some point. He's backing off at the mention of the police, probably realizing that he has most likely left the impressions of his hand on me and if the police come and I show them, there's no more football. That's the only thing he was ever terrified to lose.

Grady knows this is a fight he cannot win. He finally breaks the eye contact between us as Jack steps to stand more in front of me and leaves.

A breath I didn't know I was holding in is released.

He left this time, but what about next time?

I reach for Jack's arm feeling how tense he is. "It's okay. He's leaving."

And then I see his face. The anger is plain as day but it's the fear in his eyes that surprises me. "Did he hurt you?" He asks, nearly trembling beneath my hand.

I can't tell him the truth. "No." I whisper, lying for his sake.

"He threatened you."

I close my eyes for a moment as if I can pretend to go back in time to when everything was fine. "It doesn't matter."

"What the fuck do you mean it doesn't matter?" Jack questions, his tone biting. I take a step back from him and bump into Dylan who steadies me, but I still flinch at the feeling of touching someone. I avoid looking at Jack and instead find my hands particularly interesting.

"Guys, maybe you should take this upstairs or outside." Dylan suggests, holding onto Ruby who looks like she's trying her best not to cry.

I push through people to get to the stairs, internally crying because I don't want to touch anyone right now. I don't have to look to know that Jack is hot on my heels. I climb the stairs quickly to get to his room and listen to the door click shut behind him. "Alondra." It doesn't have the same reaction it had on me earlier. It sounds pained and quite frankly I don't know what I want to do right now. I want to cry, scream, and hit a wall all at the same time.

"What?" I ask tiredly, not particularly wanting to have this conversation.

"Did Grady hurt you?"

I whirl around to look at him, "What would you do if I said yes? Chase after him and get yourself kicked off the team? Blow your future to bits? Or better yet, get yourself fucking thrown in jail because he sure as hell isn't gonna hit you first. It doesn't fucking matter whether he hurt me or not because there's not a damn thing you can do." I'm clasping my hands together tightly because I don't want him to see how badly they're shaking. How rattled I am from that encounter.

"I don't know what I'd do Al! But it's not okay! None of it's okay and it fucking matters." He's livid. I can't really blame him, but this is a disaster.

"It doesn't matter! He isn't going to stop Jack. The best thing to do is just ignore him because I'm not letting Grady have any say in my life."

Jack is running his hands through his hair, "You matter. You fucking matter to me and I care about you." He's breathing heavily as he looks intensely at me. "What happened last time? The time Grady said."

I don't think I could speak even if I wanted to explain.

"Don't fucking say it doesn't matter Al because I saw the look on your face when he said it. We all did."

"Jack, don't...don't ask me about that. Please." My voice is barely audible and I can feel tears threatening to fall.

I sit down on the bed and put my face in my hands. "Al I promise you it can't be any worse than what I'm already thinking." Jack says, sitting next to me.

"No. Not this." I shake my head, absolutely refusing to look at him.

"You went to get a beer and never came back. I should have looked for you sooner."

"I'm not someone for you to babysit. You should be able to talk to your friends without worrying about me."

He shakes his head, "Al, I can't help unless you talk to me."

"What do you want to talk about? He was here. It happened. I can't change it, but he left."

"Grady isn't going to stop."

"You think I don't know that? Fuck Jack."

"What happened last time Alondra?" Jack insists and I push off the bed, finally having had enough.

"It was the night I broke up with him. He shoved me out the door and down the stairs at his house; I broke my leg and a couple of ribs. I couldn't move so Grady left me in fucking freezing cold weather until Pritchett came and took me to the hospital. That's what happened." I stare at him as Jack's handsome face goes pale. "Are you happy now?"

"Darlin'..."

The tears are falling down my face, "Just don't Jack. I'm not your girlfriend and I'm sure as hell not a problem for you to try and fix. Just leave me alone."

I walk out of his room quickly, slamming the door behind me as tears fall down my face. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.4K 2.9K 43
All Rémy Miller has ever known are lies until someone is able to give him the life changing truth. When studying at Harvard University, his path unex...
Given Time By K.Ward

Teen Fiction

2.9M 67.5K 55
As kids, Leah and Tanner hated each other. To this day, they still do. Tanner Cole is tall, dark, tattooed, and insanely attractive, though his ugly...
7.3M 214K 78
To start over. That's what Alex Rose needed, after that night. That's what drove her out of her home in London, to New York, halfway across the wor...
1.2M 48K 33
Joelle Morrow has her focus set on the future. As an up-and-coming lingerie designer, she's overcome multiple setbacks on the road to achieving her d...