Unpredictable

By fallensnow02

Sophie Smith is a foster girl who's bounced around from state to state, "looking for her forever family," but... More

Summary/Cast List
Chapter 1: Foster Girl
Chapter 2: Baby Daddy
Chapter 3: New Girl
Chapter 4: Jock Boy
Chapter 5: Daddy's Girl
Chapter 7: The Fake Date
Chapter 8: Evie's Ex's Party
Chapter 9: Crybaby
Chapter 10: To Be, Or Not To Be
Chapter 11: Pre-Homecoming
Chapter 12: Homecoming
Chapter 13: Bad, Bad Girl
Chapter 14: Golden Boy
Chapter 15: Trouble Maker
Chapter 16: Here We Go Again
Chapter 17: Princess
Chapter 18: Serial Shoppers
Chapter 19: Blank-Faced
Chapter 20: Not Knowing
Chapter 21: Complicated
Chapter 22: Talking
Chapter 23: Believer
Chapter 24: Awakened
Chapter 25: Drama Queen
Chapter 26: Halloween Fest
Chapter 27: Sisters
Chapter 27: Family

Chapter 6: The Makeover

3 1 0
By fallensnow02

I had not known Evie long, but I had known her long enough to know that she rarely got this excited, about anything. She was under the impression that it was true love, because Ricky hadn't dated recently (and thankfully, Ricky had told Maxton, who winked at me to assure me that it was fine when I was near his man) and I had, apparently, defrosted a frozen heart. I was pretty sure that last part was a quote from Frozen, and so was Kaia, but honestly I just missed Dylan and Aurora. They had stopped coming over for dinner because Edward wanted to hear all about how we were prepping for what I had come to realize was my first date, like, ever.

That's right. My first date was completely fake, with a totally amazing guy who didn't like me that way at all. How pathetic is that?

Anyway, at the moment I was at the mall. It was Thursday, after football practice (Evie had actually stayed - I was pretty sure she had a crush on the linebacker, Jason Lance) and she had insisted that we go shopping for my first date outfit because, apparently, none of my clothes would do the job.

Well, actually, her exact words were that my clothes sucked, but since I actually kind of liked my wardrobe, I chose to leave that part out. And I made sure to grab some outfits that I actually liked, some pajamas, and some other essentials that I actually needed, as long as I was being forced to go to the mall.

She was currently making me get a mani-pedi, and after that we'd go clothes shopping. Evie hadn't even let me pick the nail color, not that I even knew how mani-pedis worked. I'd never had one before. They felt nice, though. She said we were going to the spa, too, to have my legs waxed, which I'd also never done before, but Evie said beauty was pain, so I was somewhat wary.

******

As it turned out, I was right to be wary. I had gotten my eyebrows waxed along with my legs, and they were both raw and red. God, had Evie somehow found out that this was my first date ever? Or did she just do this for all of her dates? She had also insisted that I get my hair cut because of the ends, and I was just grateful that that did not hurt.

I returned home very unhappy, and stormed up to my room followed by Evie, who was laden with both my first date outfit and several other outfits I assumed she'd picked out for me, because they didn't look like anything I'd ever wear. Apparently I'd been wrong, though, because she immediately began enthusiastically hanging them up in my closet.

I stared at the outfits in horror. The First-Date Outfit was a white crop-top with high-waisted jeans and washed-out high-tops, which I actually didn't hate, but what the hell were the other two?

^^^^^^^Sophie's First Date Outfit, and yes, it is always going to be like this^^^^^^^

"What are those?" I immediately asked. "You didn't say we were buying anything - "

"But the essentials," Evie cut me off. "And you need a dress for the party on Saturday night, and obviously you need a Homecoming dress. Capiche?"

"But I don't have a date, for either of those."

Evie stared at me like I was an idiot. "Ricky will, of course, ask you," she stated. "It's, like, true love."

Yeah. What he and Maxton have is really special. I rolled my eyes.

"Now, let's practice your First-Date Makeup," continued Evie happily, as though she were a small child presented with a brand-new toy. And we spent the next hour practicing different styles of makeup from the shades of eye shadow Evie had purchased, all of which were natural and went with my skin tone (or so Evie said) lipstick (which I was sure I'd lick off) and mascara (I was ninety percent sure I'd poke myself in the eye).

"I'm not going to make you wear eyeliner for the First Date," said Evie seriously, "but only because if you present a rookie with eyeliner, they'll only end up poking their eyes out. However, you do have to wear it for both the party and Homecoming, so practice. YouTube tutorials, babe. Remember that."

I gawked at Evie, but she seemed dead serious, and I sighed as she left. That girl was something else entirely.

I closed my closet doors and turned to face the mirror, hardly recognizing the girl I saw inside of it. Suddenly uncomfortable, I ducked my head, searching for the makeup wipes.

Evie probably hid them, I realized, just as somebody knocked on my door.

"Um, hello?" I called, hiding behind my door as I opened it. I didn't feel comfortable, being seen with makeup on. I'd never worn it before, and I didn't really feel like myself. I wasn't Evie.

All this makeup felt like it was hiding who I really was, but was it really doing that or was it bringing out who I'd always been? I had no idea. Either way, it was change - I'd look different even once I got the makeup off, thanks to the eyebrow waxing - and I wasn't sure I was comfortable with it.

"Sophie?" called Dylan's voice. "Soph, are you avoiding me?"

I was somewhat hurt. Mostly because he had been avoiding me, ever since I'd lied about going on a date with Ricky, and also because I had a very good reason to be hiding behind my bedroom door.

"No," I muttered, and Dylan finally located me.

"Oh, so I'm sure you've got a very good reason to be hiding behind..." Dylan's voice trailed off, his lips slightly parting as he stared at me. "You, um, you look different," he muttered.

I decided there was no point in hiding anymore. "Apparently, I can't even go on my first date without undergoing a complete Body-Snatching," I laughed mirthlessly. "God, I look ridiculous."

"You - you don't look ridiculous..." Dylan's voice sounded weird.

"Um, anyway, was there something you wanted?" I asked.

"Yes, actually," Dylan straightened up, obviously remembering his goal. "I wanted to apologize, you know, for being so upset about the whole Ricky thing," he muttered insincerely.

"AJ won't go to sleep again, will she?" I sighed, giving in to Dylan's obviously fake apology.

"Help?"

As we walked over to Dylan's house, Dylan seemed to realize something. "Hold on," he said suddenly. "Did you say that this was your first date, like, ever?"

"I moved around a lot. Never really felt like dating." Still don't.

"You're going on your first date ever with Ricky Jonas?" exclaimed Dylan loudly.

"Could you please not do this right now? God, you act like you're some kind of jealous boyfriend or something," I huffed, pushing the door to Dylan's house open and marching up towards Aurora's nursery. I began to sing to the crying baby, this time Sia's "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile," and once again, Aurora fell asleep almost instantly.

I carefully set Aurora back down in her crib, shut her nursery door, and turned to face Dylan, arms folded. "Now, about you acting like a jealous boyfriend?" I shot at Dylan, who had an unreadable look on his face.

And then he kissed me, and I stood there, stock still, not knowing what to do. I had been kissed before, certainly, but never like this, never so passionately and hungrily, but aside from Dylan's obvious feelings towards me, there was Ricky.

I knew better than anyone that we weren't actually dating. But it still felt like cheating, and what was and wasn't cheating? Would Ricky still be upset? Would Maxton? Would this somehow end up giving away their secret?

I had no idea what to do, and so finally I just ended up running out of Dylan's house, confused beyond belief, my fake date tomorrow, with no idea whether or not I was a slut.

****************

A/N: So, I have no boys in my life atm, and Sophie's currently worried about two gay guys, a boy she likes but won't admit it, and a guy who is NEVER EVER NEVER coming back. Sorry, that's just not the plotline I see for this story. And yes I'm aware that many of you probably think Sophie's overreacting, but be patient my young pupils. All will be explained. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207 42 6
"You should care, Dylan. You would still be living in the back of a car, stealing from Seven Eleven! Is that what you want?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
499K 8.2K 52
Everly is a shy, quiet girl who only wishes to get through her last year of high school. She has no one except her best friend Bella who is a trouble...
9.1K 368 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
31.3K 1K 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...