Chapter 6: The Makeover

I had not known Evie long, but I had known her long enough to know that she rarely got this excited, about anything. She was under the impression that it was true love, because Ricky hadn't dated recently (and thankfully, Ricky had told Maxton, who winked at me to assure me that it was fine when I was near his man) and I had, apparently, defrosted a frozen heart. I was pretty sure that last part was a quote from Frozen, and so was Kaia, but honestly I just missed Dylan and Aurora. They had stopped coming over for dinner because Edward wanted to hear all about how we were prepping for what I had come to realize was my first date, like, ever.

That's right. My first date was completely fake, with a totally amazing guy who didn't like me that way at all. How pathetic is that?

Anyway, at the moment I was at the mall. It was Thursday, after football practice (Evie had actually stayed - I was pretty sure she had a crush on the linebacker, Jason Lance) and she had insisted that we go shopping for my first date outfit because, apparently, none of my clothes would do the job.

Well, actually, her exact words were that my clothes sucked, but since I actually kind of liked my wardrobe, I chose to leave that part out. And I made sure to grab some outfits that I actually liked, some pajamas, and some other essentials that I actually needed, as long as I was being forced to go to the mall.

She was currently making me get a mani-pedi, and after that we'd go clothes shopping. Evie hadn't even let me pick the nail color, not that I even knew how mani-pedis worked. I'd never had one before. They felt nice, though. She said we were going to the spa, too, to have my legs waxed, which I'd also never done before, but Evie said beauty was pain, so I was somewhat wary.

******

As it turned out, I was right to be wary. I had gotten my eyebrows waxed along with my legs, and they were both raw and red. God, had Evie somehow found out that this was my first date ever? Or did she just do this for all of her dates? She had also insisted that I get my hair cut because of the ends, and I was just grateful that that did not hurt.

I returned home very unhappy, and stormed up to my room followed by Evie, who was laden with both my first date outfit and several other outfits I assumed she'd picked out for me, because they didn't look like anything I'd ever wear. Apparently I'd been wrong, though, because she immediately began enthusiastically hanging them up in my closet.

I stared at the outfits in horror. The First-Date Outfit was a white crop-top with high-waisted jeans and washed-out high-tops, which I actually didn't hate, but what the hell were the other two?

 The First-Date Outfit was a white crop-top with high-waisted jeans and washed-out high-tops, which I actually didn't hate, but what the hell were the other two?

^^^^^^^Sophie's First Date Outfit, and yes, it is always going to be like this^^^^^^^

"What are those?" I immediately asked. "You didn't say we were buying anything - "

"But the essentials," Evie cut me off. "And you need a dress for the party on Saturday night, and obviously you need a Homecoming dress. Capiche?"

"But I don't have a date, for either of those."