Up For The Test (Aru Shah AU)

By upsettiespaghetti

Aru is just a normal kid in the kingdom of Byburn, except for that her mom was the only mother in the town wh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter Three
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter 18
Not a Chapter

Chapter Sixteen

1K 12 51
By upsettiespaghetti

"Excuse me?!" each kid said.

"I'm taking it as you had no clue?"

"None." Aru looked back at the group. "This is all my fault. I left my father and now I have this giant responsibility. They could be getting injured at this very moment!"

"I'm sorry, what? Repeat that for the camera," the reporter said.

"No comment!" Aru sniffled, riding off as quick as she could.

"Shah!" Aiden called after her.

"Let her go and calm down," Rudy said.

"That's the last thing she needs. She needs people around her, Rudy," Brynne said, galloping away.

-When they all got back to the castle-

"Aru?" Mini called into the throne room. She poked her head through a crack in the door.

Aru was already with Phillipe looking at the queen's crown. Their backs turned away from the princess.

"Aru, it's yours to wear," Phillipe soothed Aru while rubbing her back.

"It-it just doesn't feel right. I'm fifteen, and I just got here last week."

"I get where you're coming from, but this is now your duty. It's your job to rule Byburn. Add a little spice to your job."

Aru sighed, but not before saying, "Mini, you may come in." She lifted the crown onto her head. It was heavier than her emerald one that normally laid upon her head.

It was gold, its band lined with white rhinestone. Its tips had champagne-colored diamonds embedded into them.

She felt more powerful than she ever had in the past. It scared her. All of the responsibilities were already causing Aru to tense up. She didn't know if she could do it.

Urvashi had a king to help her. Sure Urvashi could run the country by herself, but she's much older than Aru. She was raised to become queen one day. Aru was just raised to be a smart kid and get a job that made her happy.

"Your highness," Mini curtsied, already back into a formal dress.

"No, no, no. You're not calling me that."

"But, you're the queen now."

"I don't expect to be called highness by my friends. Just because I wear a fancy crown and hold a powerful title doesn't mean you should treat me any different."

"But-"

"No buts, Mini."

"Fine."

Aiden walked in, and Fischer was right behind him.

"That crown fits you perfectly, Aru," Fischer smiled, walking up to Aru to hug her. He wrapped his arms around her, and he could feel that she was extremely tense. Her arms didn't even come up to hug him back.

"Aru, loosen up," Fischer whispered in her ear.

"I-I can't," Aru said truthfully.

She didn't know how to anymore. That morning everything had been fine! They all had been acting like normal kids. They had snuck out and had fun! They weren't couped up in the castle or attending school.

But suddenly, everything changed. Aru could get struck by lightning and be completely fine, she had admitted her feelings to Aiden and vise versa, and Aru was wearing the queen's crown.

In her mind, she wasn't fit to be able to sit on the throne. She wasn't supposed to even be in the castle. She was just a normal town girl. There was nothing special about her. At least, nothing Aru could think of.

Aiden, on the other hand, could name countless things. He knew that she was made to rule a country. Sure he had said differently in the past, but he had a different opinion then. His life had changed significantly in the short time that Aru had been in the castle.

He stood there and watched Aru try to balance the heavy crown on her head. Her hair cascaded down her spine. She fixed her posture so she would look like Urvashi had at times.

"You still here?" Fischer asked, waving a hand in front of Aiden's face.

"Yeah, sorry. Lost in thought, I guess."

"Funny. So was Aru. You guys were looking into each other's eyes," Rudy laughed.

Aiden glared at Rudy until he cowered behind Fischer.

"I mean, it wasn't that funny," he corrected. "It was more romantic than anything."

"You really don't know how to read a room, do you?"

"I've been told that before," Rudy shrugged. "Mainly by you and my mother."

"You think he would try to learn," Mini slightly laughed.

"The only thing I learn is what appliances do."

"I-I could tutor you," Mini offered. "I mean, only if you want me to."

"That would be cool."

Mini rubbed her upper arm and hid her rosy cheeks by looking down at the floor.

"Anyway," Aru said, trying to advert Rudy's eyes from Mini. Then a lightbulb was set off in her mind.

"Everyone, meet me in the conference room in... Just get there right now."

Everyone followed Aru down the hall.

"Queen, have you chosen when the royal gardens will be open to the public?" a secretary asked.

"Uh, always?" Aru tried, continuing to walk.

"And what about the next meeting with the King of Destin? That will need to be soon."

"Try May twelfth."

"I will reach out to him and see if that works," the secretary said, going to walk away.

"Wait, ma'am," Aru said, reaching out an arm to stop the lady from leaving.

"Yes, Queen?"

"Can you please get me the number of Cata? My father to be more specific."

"I'll reach out to the treasurer. She keeps track of those things for me."

"Thank you. I'll need it soon as possible. Oh, and one last thing."

"Yes?"

"Can you get me an assistant?" Aru smiled. 

"You already have one," Maverick spoke up. "Hi. I'm Maverick. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Aru turned to the voice and walked backward. She was already getting good at the multitasking of being a queen. 

She looked at her assistant and noticed that he seemed to be about her age. "How old are you, Maverick?"

"I'm almost sixteen, ma'am."

"And you're working in the castle?"

"Yes, ma'am. I know I'm young, but I'm great at my job, ma'am."

"I don't doubt that you are."

"What did you need me for exactly?" Maverick asked, trying to change the subject. 

"I was just wondering if you could get me a glass of fruit punch. I would normally fetch it myself, but I'm a bit busy," Aru said, gesturing to everyone behind her.

"Yes, ma'am," he responded, running off.

Aru turned back to the group. "And here is the room we're looking for."

Aru opened the doors and found a long table with over a dozen seats.

"Take a seat, everyone."

"I-I've never been allowed in here before," Rudy squealed.

"Because you destroyed the old library. Why would they let you into the conference room that cost over two-hundred-thousand dollars?" Aiden sighed.

"No need to expose my secrets over there," Rudy huffed.

Bernadette, the secretary walked back in. "Cordelia got you Cata's number, ma'am."

"Thank you, Bernadette," Aru smiled, taking her place at the front of the table. That seat just happened to be very close to the phone. 

"You're welcome," she replied, curtsying before she left the room. 

Maverick rushed into the room and placed a glass cup in front of Aru. "Is this okay?"

"Yeah."

He went to leave when Aru stopped him. "Please make sure no one else comes in."

"Yes, madam."

"Please, stop with the nicknames."

"They're formal and I was told to always address you as madam or ma'am."

"Well, I'm telling you different. Just Aru is fine."

"Yes, A-A. Yeah, I can't do that, ma'am. Have a good meeting," he said, walking out.

Aru dialed her father and waited until he picked up.

"Hello, Aru."

"It's Queen Aru to you. I request you return Urvashi and Hanuman."

"No hello? Well, that's one way to treat your father."

"I will bring myself back to Cata and marry Sebastian if you release the king and queen from your hold."

"Shah, no," Aiden warned. Aru quickly glanced over at him before focusing on the phone once more. 

There was a long pause. "Okay. I'm listening."

"I have three terms. One, you leave Byburn alone. You never step foot in the country again. Two, I get to have two wedding guests from this castle. They will come unarmed and with the best intentions. Three, you will no longer be king when Sebastian and I get married. Sebastian will take your place, and I'll become queen. We will rule as you have the past few years, and we will allow you to live in the palace. Do you agree to my terms?"

"That's a tough decision. Who would you pick as your wedding guests?"

"Fischer and Brynne," Aru answered without any thought put into it.

"Brynne? The one who tried to kill me?"

"Yes. She won't have her bow or arrows. As I said before, they will both come unarmed."

"Do they agree to that?" her father asked after a moment of silence. 

Aru looked up to Fischer first. 

"Yes, sir," Fischer said, looking at Aru with a blank expression. 

"Brynne?" Suyodhana asked. 

Aru quickly put the phone on mute. "I have a plan, Bee. All you have to do is say yes."

Brynne glared at Aru but eventually gave in. Aru pressed the mute button once more, allowing her father to hear everything. 

"Yes. No bows nor arrows," Brynne sighed. 

"Okay. The only thing I'm concerned about is you and Sebastian ruling."

"Were you even listening? I said we would rule as you have," Aru snapped.

"Watch your tone, darling. You're speaking to a king."

"You're speaking to a queen. Now, do you agree?"

"Let me consult Sebastian."

"As if he's not right next to you."

"You know me so well, love," Sebastian announced. 

Aru gagged at the name but kept herself serious. 

"We agree, Aru," her father replied. 

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow. Bring Urvashi and Hanuman," Aru said before hanging up. 

"So, here's the plan," Aru started.

AN: Here's this chapter. It's nothing special or spectacular but it's something. Sorry, it took me so long to update. I've been working on another book even though it won't be out for another month or two. Fun times. 

Aru and Sebastian are getting married. Hurrah. (please note my sarcasm)

I hope y'all have had a good day/night/evening. : )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.6K 597 41
Some Oneshots that include Aru Shah and the gang! Requests are open! If you have a request or suggestion comment them or message me!! Disclaimer: Al...
14.1K 94 45
Will Aru and Aiden accept their feelings or neglect it? Will they make it through to find it in themselves to love or give up on a wonderful opportun...
255K 2.8K 97
(formerly known as: aru shah oneshots) bunch of one shots, fluff, stories, and aru x aiden! also, i DO NOT OWN anything. aru was created by Roshani C...
6.5K 118 21
Aru Shah x Percy Jackson crossover Just when Aru is getting over the loss of... well, him, she gets another quest? And this one she has to go through...