TROUBLE - peaky blinders

By -WINEAUNT

TROUBLE ━━━━━━━ (shelby sister!oc x peaky blinders) Peaky Blinders, season one - six ━━━━━━━ IN WHICH, Clara... More

epigraph
graphic gallery
graphics gallery ii
prologue
ACT ONE
01. the enigma at hand
02. sweet shops and stables
04. the terrible tale of truth
05. in sickness and in health
06. ickle, wickle idealism
07. thievery and triumph
08. the (not so) miracle of child birth
09. family first?
10. breathe out.
11. it does not define you
12. amidst the walls
13. with every shadow comes a light
14. for your thoughts?
15. we reap what we sow
16. an ode to the wild spirits
ACT TWO
17. burials and bloody chickens
18. revolvers and revelations
19. the scars will fade
20. do we dare?
21. sadists and sprinting sisters
22. hangover horrors
23. horseshows and childlike woes
24. nobody but you.
25. what if..?
26. this dream isn't feeling sweet.
27. lamentable london
28. a thing with feathers
29. what is real? (what is not?)
30. payday panic
31. the past is not so far behind us
32. not yet a corpse, but still i rot.
33. it's a man's world (but a woman's life)
34. we are but mice amongst monsters
ACT THREE
35. to have and to hold
36. joy and woe are woven fine
37. live fast, die young
38. all in a days work
39. look like th'innocent flower
40. two ghosts in the place of you and me
41. i felt a funeral in my brain.
42. who told lies and was burned
43. deep go your roots and high rise your flowers
44. the moon is the window to the soul
45. to be right is a concept entirely subjected to opinion.
46. the woe of not forgetting
47. i did something bad.
48. play with fire, bound to get burned
49. the ruined remains
50. liars and lost causes
51. what we stay alive for
52. the lament of Clara Shelby
53. a simple truth (through the looking glass)
54. seven, eight, nine,
55. Only sinners feel the betrayal of a ghost
ACT FOUR
56. the undelivered word
57. leave the past where it belongs.
58. all good things must come to an end
59. the clock still ticks.
60. all the unspent love i have for you
61. cursed to hold a weight you can't bare

03. new friends and family foes

22.2K 721 497
By -WINEAUNT

THERE WERE TWO THINGS CLARA ADORED ABOUT the day ahead of her. The first was the fact that her brothers had left Small Heath, taking their rowdiness and testosterone far away from the girl and the second was the fact that Aunt Pol had declared the day to be her 'day off', essentially leaving Clara to have number six Watery Lane to herself for the day.

After the debacle of a few nights ago, the girl had been sentenced to two days house arrest. Unfortunately for her, the first day had been utterly awful. She'd been forced to clean and tidy each and every single room in the house, along with doing all of Finn's chores. By the time she collapsed into bed, her entire body ached from the work, but now that the second day of her punishment was upon her, she was overjoyed.

She'd been awoken by Finn jumping onto her bed at the brink of dawn, his joyous laughter earning him a swift shove off the side of her bed. Clara had gotten up and dressed to watch her brothers leave the house to go to a fair outside of town and to watch her aunt depart for mass.

The girl was sitting on a chair in the betting den, (which had been closed for the morning), her legs propped up on the table as she balanced 'Alice's adventures in Wonderland' in one hand and an apple in the other.

Clara's eyebrows scrunched together as she read. The book was juvenile, she knew it was. She'd read far greater things, yet the book brought about a nostalgic wave with every sentence written. Flipping the page, the girl took another bite of her apple, relishing the sound of silence. It wasn't often that she got this chance to sit in utter silence with no yells from the betting den or overbearing siblings or even an aunt interrupting.

Alas, she knew it was too good to be true.

The sudden uproar of voices and screams echoed from outside. Clara bolted up from her seat, dropping her book onto the table as she raced to look out the window. Outside, Coppers seemed to be swarming the upper half of the street, throwing families out of their homes as they entered forcefully. The gears in her brain began to turn as she dashed into John's office, grabbing all of the main books from the den, stuffing them under a loose floorboard.

John had always warned her about doing this. Said that if they were to search, they'd be taken and they'd be arrested. Whether or not the police of Birmingham were now in her brother's pockets, Clara wasn't willing to take that chance. The girl stamped on the floorboard, slotting it back into its place before, rushing out into the betting den to grab her book. She pushed open the conjoining doors to six Watery Lane, closing them behind her as she sat down at the kitchen table and took out her book. Her brothers had ensured that when she was growing up she knew how to deal with the coppers of Birmingham.

Rule number one; when doing something illegal, do not under any circumstances act like you're doing something illegal.

It seemed as if Clara had timed her moves to perfection because before she could flip a page of her book, the doors to the house were kicked open. She flinched at the loud sound, her head snapping to the side as five coppers entered the home, followed by another man in a three-piece suit and bowler hat.

"Ah, Miss Shelby, I presume."

The girl hid her grimace as she placed down her book. The man's tone was condescending as the bang of tables being toppled in the den rung throughout the building.

"Inspector," Clara stated, her mind unscrambling the pieces of the puzzle.

"You know who I am?" He mused, his lip quirking up as the coppers continued their rage in the den.

"It's only fair." She shrugged, kicking her legs up onto the table, (a move which Pol would kill her for). "You know who I am, I know who you are. Even playing field."

"Well, what else do you know, huh?"

Clara scoffed as he approached her, pushing her legs off the table as he stood over her. Her body leant back against the wood of her chair, as the man glared down at her.

Rule number two; when dealing with coppers, relax and don't let them know you're stressed. They feed on it.

"Well, I know a lot." Clara shrugged, "I know that my brothers will have your head for destroying the den, I know that today is cloudy, I know that the grass is green and the sky is blue. I know that fish like—" The girl was cut off as a copper slammed his hands down onto her shoulders, holding her back firmly against the chair. The girl bit back a wince at the heavy pressure the man's fingers were applying, as they dug into her skin.

"I'm under good authority that you Peaky Blinder devils know something, and my question will be answered." The Inspector hissed, his temper overflowing as the girl scrunched up her nose in disdain.

"I'm sorry, Inspector, but that question was very broad." Clara finally smirked, her heart racing as the adrenaline of the situation set in. "How was I to know what answer to give ya?"

"Where are the guns?" The man questioned, still towering over the girl who was fighting the urge to squirm and break free.

"Which ones?" She sniped, "—or are we talking about the ones that'll be in my brothers' hands when they find out you raided all of these houses and interrogated their 'defenceless', little sister?"

"The stolen guns!"

"Oh..."

"So, you do know something."

"Know something about what?"

"The stolen guns!" The man snapped, his hands slamming down on the kitchen table.

"What stolen guns?" The girl prattled back, as she bit back a smile at the man's red face. A loud crack echoed throughout the room. It took a few moments for Clara to realise that the man had hit her. She arrogantly cocked her head to the side, her eyes pushing back burning tears as her cheek flushed crimson and began to throb. "Do you take pride in hitting children, Mr Chief Inspector? I can't imagine it offers you any consolation."

Rule number three, (this time with a little Clara twist), if given the chance to wind up a person of authority, charge ahead with full force.

She wasn't sure if her brothers would approve of this rule but they weren't exactly there, were they?

"Miss Shelby—"

The man's harsh voice was interrupted as the four coppers from before reentered the kitchen, all empty-handed. Clara watched as one stepped forward and spoke in hushed tones to the Inspector.

"Well, Miss Shelby," The man huffed, "I highly doubt this will be the last time we see each other."

Clara scowled as she watched the coppers file out of the home, followed by the grim Inspector. As the front door shut with a bang, the girl allowed her shoulders to drop and her adrenaline ease off. She rested her red cheek flat on the table, hissing at the twinge that rocketed through her face. Clara sat for a few moments before sighing and pushing herself off of her seat and onto her feet.

Entering the green doors that led into the den, she groaned in despair. The tables had been flipped and contents were strewn all over the wooden flooring. Bending down, she picked up a chair, placing it upright before standing up straight and rolling up her sleeves.

All she had asked for was one day of peace and yet it seemed as if the world had it out for her.

"I PRESUME THE INSPECTOR CALLED 'ROUND HERE TOO?"

Clara glanced towards her Aunt as the woman entered the building. The girl had picked up the majority of the paper and chairs, along with a few tables but a few still laid on their side— too heavy for the stubborn girl to lift.

"Yeah, he called round." She grumbled, placing a stack of pages onto an upturned desk. Pol scoffed and approached the girl, helping to gather some more paper.

"Visited me at the church." The woman grimly responded, her eyes widening at the sight of Clara's cheek. Leaning forward, Pol clasped the girl's jaw in her hand, twisting her head as she examined the purple blotches which were forming. "Christ...he give you this?"

Clara nodded, squirming out of her aunt's grip. "Didn't answer his question right apparently," she answered, "Kept blabbering on about stolen guns, kept pressing me for answers. Told 'im I knew nothing."

Polly was silent as the girl slumped down into the kitchen chair, her body's energy depleting after the morning she'd had. The older woman swept up the betting den as Clara rested her head in her arms, closing her eyes, knowing that her Aunt was near.

She could take a nap.

Who would it hurt?

She could spare fifteen minutes.

All she had to do was slip away.

Slip away from Small Heath.

Slip away from the noise.

Slip away from consciousness.

Slip...

A loud bang and an uproar of voices entered the house, causing the exhausted girl to jump to attention. One by one, Arthur, John, Tommy and Finn filed into the kitchen along with Lovelock and Scudboat. Their confused eyes scanned the area, taking in the dishevelled state of both the girl and the den. 

Pol approached the kitchen, as Arthur slumped into a seat beside the younger girl, placing a bucket of beer onto the table. John ruffled Clara's hair, handing out glasses to the people gathered.

"Alrigh', Clara?" Arthur huffed, sipping from his glass as the girl bowed her head.

"I suppose," She shrugged, avoiding her brother's gaze while her loose hair successfully hid the visible blemishes. "Coppers came and trashed the place— typical day, I guess."

"The coppers told everyone Arthur had agreed to it when he was arrested." Pol began, "They said the Peaky Blinders had cleared out to the fair to let them do it."

"I never said nothing to that copper about smashing up bloody houses..." Arthur sniffed, downing the rest of his drink.

"Oi, Clara, what's that?"

The girl's head shot up as John squinted. "Whatcha mean?" She questioned, her eyebrows scrunching together. The older boy huffed and avoided the girl's flailing hands as he pushed back her hair.

"That." He stated, pointing to the four, fingertip shaped bruises, which now prominently stood out against her pale skin.

"The Inspector doesn't like me much."

"The Inspector was here?" Clara looked towards Tommy as he leant forwards, his attention now focused on the girl.

"Yeah, but don't worry I hid all the books before he came," Clara assured, her eyes flitting around the room. "Saw them coming down the lane and managed to shove 'em under a loose floorboard."

"Atta girl."John laughed, ruffling her hair once more earning him a playful scowl.

"What did the inspector want?" Tommy questioned, his voice flat while his eyes narrowed.

"He just asked a bunch of questions."

There was silence before Arthur spoke up.

"Alright...which pubs did they do?" He exhaled, setting down his drink.

"The Guns, the Chain, the Marquis. All the ones that pay you to protect them. The only one they didn't touch was the Garrison. Make sure people think we were in on it. He's smart, this copper." Polly sighed, taking a drag from her cigarette. "So, go on. Drink your beers, get out. You'd better show people you're still the cocks of the walk. Hand out some cash to the landlords of the pubs."

"Pay some veterans to fix the places up," Tommy ordered. John was quick to enter the den to retrieve the hidden books, whilst the other men began setting up their tables. Arthur pushed himself to his feet, shooting Clara a wink as he headed to the door.

"So, what about you, Tommy?" He asked, glancing back.

"I have to go to Charlie's to stable the horse," Tommy answered bluntly. "She looked foot-sore in the box."

"You got a horse?!" Clara piped up, her eyebrows scrunched together in incredulity, yet her words fell upon deaf ears.

"Let them see your faces," Pol called out as the family scattered, leaving Pol, Clara and Tommy standing and sitting silently as Arthur closed the door.

"Clara, go on," Tommy instructed, lighting a cigarette. "I'm sure you can go be somewhere other than here."

"No."

"No?" He cocked a brow as the girl folded her arms.

"The inspector came barging in here asking all these questions, Tom, questions I want to know the answers to." Clara started. "What guns are they looking for?"

"Just go, Clara, I don't have the time to be dealing with your attitude." He sighed, pinching his nose in frustration.

"What stolen guns, Tommy?" She persisted, leaning forward, her eyes trained on her older brother. "He kept yammering on 'bout us 'Peaky Blinder devils' having them. He asked me what I knew and then hit me because I didn't know anything." The girl took a deep breath in. "So, what. stolen. guns?"

"Clara, the guns have nothing to do with us." Pol stepped in, reaching her hand across to grasp her nieces. "The communists are the ones they're here for, I can only guess it is because of whatever stolen guns you're on about."

Clara looked between her aunt and her brother before standing to her feet. "Whatever." She scoffed, walking towards the door.

"Where are you going now, ey?"

"Dunno, but I can't stand the stink of shit in here." She sneered, her tone laced with pure venom and frustration as she grabbed a jacket and fled the house.

"CLARA SHELBY—" Tommy yelled after her, his rage bubbling. He had half the mind to drag her back into the house by her ear but his rage was met with his aunt merely chuckling.

"She's a smart girl, y'know...but good god, does she have quite the temper— not to mention her stubbornness." The woman smiled, blowing out a stream of smoke. Tommy grunted as he rolled his eyes. The older woman raised an eyebrow nonchalantly. "Wonder where she gets it from..."

CLARA ANGRILY KICKED AT THE STONES OF THE STREET cursing lowly as she went. She was furious. Furious at Tommy, furious at the Inspector, furious at the coppers in general. An angry Shelby wasn't something Small Heath needed, an angry Shelby meant tough times and rough waters, so although the girl was bubbling with rage, she held her head high and continued wandering through the streets.

Her feet carried her down the pebbled road, looks of frustration following her as she strode. She turned a corner, cutting through an alleyway until she found herself stationed outside of Crawford's sweetshop.

From the looks of it, the police had also paid the street a visit. The couch from the apartment above was strewn onto the street as two kids gathered books from the gravel. Clara tilted her head and entered the sweet shop, the soft chime of the bell echoing through the shop.

"We're closed!"

The girl took off her hat, looking towards the soft voice. Clara glanced around, taking in the mess of the place. Sweet jars had been tipped and glass shards had been scattered. The blonde girl from before peaked her head up from the floor behind the counter, her face paling.

"Uh, sorry, w-we're closed." The girl stammered as she stood up, brushing off her blue dress.

"I know," Clara answered shortly. The blonde girl stayed silent, her hands twitching around the broom she held. "Your name is Penny, right? I'm Clara." She stuck her hand out. The blonde girl precariously crept forward and shook the outstretched hand.

"I know." She mumbled, causing Clara's lip to quirk up.

"Well, Penny," Clara smiled, "You're one of the few people who can stick up for yourself— congratulations."

"I wasn't actually going to report you, y'know."

"I know...but it's still funny." Penny fell into silence as the Shelby girl grinned. "I think you and I are going to get along great." Clara placed her hat on her head, opening the door. "I'll see you around."

And so the girl left, a small smile plastered across her face as she strode down the street.

"DAD WENT MENTAL!"

Clara laughed as Will threw his hands into the air in exaggeration. The two had resorted to sitting on the curb outside of the boy's house, both recounting their run-ins from the morning.

"Ma started waving around her whisk, Billy and Molly were crying, " The boy explained, leaning backwards as he chuckled. "The coppers cleared out as soon as they'd tipped the place, it was pure chaos!"

"I can imagine," Clara grinned, her bruised face no longer throbbing but the purple blotches was a vivid mark of her morning. "Stopped by the sweetshop earlier...the entire place was trashed."

"Shame," Will huffed, earning a small nod of agreement.

"Talked to that blonde one again, seems nice," Clara commented, her fingers tracing a crack in the pavement.

"But she seems so...prim."

"Agreed," She nodded, her head tilting to the side. "but with a little bad influence, I think she would fit right in." The two fell into a comfortable silence, their eyes scanning the people passing, barely noticing the young boy whizzing through the streets. "Finn?"

The young boy stopped with an overjoyed grin. "Hi, Clara." He bounced on his heels, looking down at the two.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Tommy gave me a job!"

Clara turned to Will with a confused look. "And what job is that?" She pressed.

"We're having a bonfire!" Finn giggled, "Have to collect pictures of the King!"

"Well," The girl chuckled, standing up and dusting off her pants. "Where've ya got to go?"

"The Garrison, Barr street, Coventry road-"

"We'll take Barr Street," Clara grinned, pushing her brother's shoulder playfully. "Meet you back at Watery lane." Finn nodded eagerly, handing her a few coins. The girl beamed and grabbed Will's arm, bolting off towards Barr Street, (home to a particular sweet shop).

The sun was beginning to set over Small Heath as the two kids started knocking on doors looking for pictures of the king, some didn't even need the money to be convinced as they handed the teenagers the photos. They finally reached the dazzling shop, knocking on the closed door rapidly. A woman appeared and hastily unlocked the door, looking down at Will and Clara expectedly.

"Two bob for your picture of the king." The girl told her, handing her the coins. The woman was silent but retreated into the shop, returning with a photo of England's most beloved. "Oh, and is Penny in?"

The woman faltered as she glanced around. "I'll get her." She mumbled, once again retreating into the shop.

"Reckon Blondie will come?" Will asked.

"We'll convince her," Clara stated, noticing the girl approaching the door. "Hello!"

"C-Clara?" Penny asked, stepping out onto the road. "Why are you here?"

"Having a bonfire, wanna come?"

"Uh..." the girl glanced back towards the woman who was nodding from inside the shop. "Sure, let me grab my coat."

Clara grinned and soon all three of them were waltzing back to Watery Lane, pictures of the king tucked under their arms as they weaved through drunken men and women hurrying home.

The three barged their way through a small crowd, stopping at the barricades. "Alright, Scud?" Clara greeted, looking towards the man who was guarding the barricaded street.

"Go on through," He dismissed, sending the girl a friendly wink as Will and Penny followed her into the lane.

"John, we've got some!" Clara called out, spotting her brother talking to a blinder on duty.

"Well, go throw 'em in!" He smirked, pointing towards the growing bonfire.

The three teenagers pushed their way through the crowd gathered around the fire, until they were standing at the edge of the flames. With mischievous grins, both Will and Clara began tossing the pictures in with little hesitation. Once her pile had diminished, Clara looked to Penny who was still clasping the photos.

"Well, go on then!" She encouraged, "Not like the King is here to stop us." The blonde allowed a small smile to creep over her face as she feebly threw a portrait into the bonfire, cheers arose from around them. Together, the girls threw the remainders in. Penny's face livened as she giggled, the flames growing higher by the second.

"If you keep this up I think you and I will get along brilliantly." Clara laughed, earning a shy blush from the blonde. The girl scoured the edge of the fire, her eyes landing on her four brothers passing around a flask. "I'll be back in a few, Will? Mind Blondie."

Clara skipped towards the boys, a grin plastered across her face. She came to a stop beside Finn, stealing the flask from his hands as she quickly took a swig of the rum. John grabbed at the flask, his arm around her neck as she laughed.

"Well, if it isn't Miss. Clara drinking again." He boomed, his arm holding her in a loose chokehold as she rolled her eyes. "Thought you were on house arrest, ey?"

"Tom kicked me out of the house earlier," Clara spoke, her eyes landing on the man in question. "So I presume I'm not."

"You're finished," Tommy confirmed, his eyes on the flames as he took a drag from his cigarette. The young girl smirked and hit John over the head to loosen his grip.

"So why are we burning the King?" She questioned, folding her arms.

"To make a point," Tommy stated, throwing his cigarette onto the bonfire, his hand outstretched towards her. He gripped her chin, letting the orange glow illuminate the ugly blotches. "To show that they can't interfere with us...Ice that later, yeah?"

Clara nodded, rocking on her heels as more people threw portraits onto the fire. To her right, she could see Will chugging from a bottle while Penny stood, with flushed cheeks. With a small grin, she went to step forward before another arm grabbed her.

"Where'd ya think you're going?!" Arthur boomed, with a huge grin. "Too old to spend time with your brothers?"

"Leave me alone," she scoffed with a grin, "Just wanna go back to my friends."

"You have friends?!" John choked on his drink dramatically. "Where?"

"God, you're so annoying!"

"I wanna say hello,"

"John boy, she's embarrassed by us." Arthur feigned sadness as he wiped away a 'tear'. "Doesn't want us around anymore."

"Shut up," Clara whined as John collapsed onto her shoulder falsely weeping. She hastily brushed him off before stepping away. "Let me leave."

"Not so fast," Tommy interjected, earning a frustrated huff from the girl. "I want you back in the house in an hour, got it?"

"Mhmm..." Clara bolted away from her brothers, avoiding any more distractions as she rejoined Penny and Will. The Shelby brothers watched as the girl laughed and slung an arm around the boy, seizing his bottle as she not-so-sneakily took a sip.

"Want a sip?" The girl held out the bottle of rum to Penny, whose cheeks had grown rosier.

"Never had it before..."

"Well, I won't force you, but it's not that bad."

Penny tentatively took the glass bottle from Clara's hands, sniffing it before carefully lifting it to her lips and swallowing. The girl grimaced as she lowered the bottle.

"I don't think I'll get used to that." She spluttered.

"I say we're a bad influence on you, Blondie." Will boasted, taking the bottle once more.

"We'll make a rebel out of you yet." Clara smiled. And with that, all three of them laughed, the embers of the fire illuminating the crowds. The girl sipped more of the rum, her eyes flitting towards Tommy as he now talked with an unfamiliar man. She watched curiously, with her stomach knotting and twisting before she averted her gaze.

Tommy was right...as much as she hated to admit. Things were different and if today wasn't a clear indication, she didn't know what was.

HELLO MIS AMIGOS!

HOW ARTH THOU ON THIS VERY FINE EVENING/DAY?

Writing this chapter was lowkey kind of fun, and I honestly adored writing Clara with her brothers. Also, Clara had officially befriended Penny which I'm excited to write because their planned dynamic is something I'm VERY happy with!!

Anyways, feel free to drop a few comments and a vote and I shall see you next Friday with an update.

BYEEEE :))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 16.5K 51
( 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐘 𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐁𝐘 ) 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪 𝘢𝘮. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...
102K 1.5K 38
Nancy Shelby. She is the heart of the Shelby family. At just 7 years old, she seems to be the only person who can make Thomas Shelby smile a real smi...
26.4K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
2M 46.9K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...