47. i did something bad.

WARNINGS: talk of religion in a negative light.

"CLARA,

It has been approximately two and a half months since I last saw you. This is my fourth letter. So I'm not quite sure what to say, or what I can say. I don't even know if you're receiving these, for all I know is that I've sent these letters and they aren't being replied to.

I've called you six times—cost a bloody fortune but the chance was worth it. I'm not quite sure what's going on and since you have been completely avoiding me, I remain in the dark. I don't understand what happened, and I would like to understand. Did I do something? Did I push you too far?

I miss you, Clara Shelby. I miss you. Please write back, let me know if you're okay...I want you to be okay. I can leave you if you want me to, just say it. I will leave you alone, but Clara, I want you to be okay.

Yours truly and faithfully,

Nadia-Marie Evans."

Clara's fingers traced the girl's name at the bottom of the page. Her hands shook ever so slightly as she gripped the letter between two fingers. Guilt brewed in her stomach just as it had for the last two months. It was a constant gnawing that refused to settle. It would cause her stomach to churn to the point of nausea, it would cause blistering headaches that refused to ease.

It was hell.

It was hell and Clara deserved it. She deserved every single, little morsel of suffering that she was going through.

Clara hated to admit it but she was avoiding Nadia. It wasn't that she'd found herself caught up in work or family issues...she was simply choosing to avoid the girl. Perhaps out of embarrassment or perhaps out of fear of how Nadia would react to seeing her again. Avoiding just seemed to be easier–or it would be if Nadia didn't care so much.

The Shelby girl sighed and folded the letter as she placed it into her desk drawer along with all the other letters Nadia had written her. Clara glanced over the drawer, her eyes scanning for the little bottles of blue she craved. Many of these bottles were scattered around the drawer yet each one had been emptied of the powder it had previously contained. She cursed beneath her breath as she collapsed back into her leather seat. Nowadays, the only thing keeping Clara together was the cocaine she consumed. It had become a safety blanket of sorts, allowing her frantic mind fleeting moments of bliss.

She'd have to get more before she lost her mind entirely.

Clara sluggishly ran her hands over her face, her palms resting on either cheek as she looked down at the paperwork she was supposed to have already finished. Truth be told, she had, had the time to do it all...she just couldn't bring herself to do it. She was in a slump of sorts, not bothered to do anything but sit and stare at the walls with a cigarette in one hand and glazed-over eyes.