golden | acotar

By kaixcookies

Briella Soleil just wanted to spend a week with her brother when she accidentally ended up in Prythian instea... More

ɢᴏʟᴅᴇɴ
ᴄᴀsᴛ, ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛs, & ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴛʜɪɴɢs
ᴘᴀʀᴛ ɪ | thorns and roses
chapter 0.5
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 8
chapter 9
𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚒
not an update my loves x

chapter 7

2.2K 110 83
By kaixcookies

𝐜𝐡. 𝟕: 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧

"He's Helion, Bri." Levi interjected. I gave him a look before bursting out into laughter. Dad and Levi exchanged looks and I forced myself to suppress my giggles.

"He is who, now?"

"High Lord of the-"

"Day Court, yes I know," I cut off Levi rolling my eyes, "Alright, joke's over. What did you need to tell me?"

A sudden burst of golden-white light sent my brain into a tumbling mess of confusion and my jaw dropped open. The light subsided to reveal my father still sitting on the edge of the coffee table but with one hand outstretched.

"Yeah, I'm out," the words escaped me before I even realized it and I stood up to leave, not really knowing where I would go and not entirely sure if I wanted to leave anyway. I felt someone, probably Levi, gently push my shoulders to make me sit back down on the couch. I didn't protest.

"Would you like me to explain it to you?" I heard my dad, Helion, ask.

"I don't think there's anyone else who can." A throat cleared next to me and I turned to face my brother, "Levi, you'll get bored five minutes into your explanation and then tell me to go ask dad because you're hungry or you want to sleep."

"Priorities," Levi shrugged.

"Yeah, no thanks," I scoffed, leaning back in my seat to get more comfortable, "Well then, oh great High Lord of the Day Court, please enlighten me."

• ☼ •

Dad thought that the living room was 'inappropriate' and 'too informal' for the conversation we were about to have so, with much protesting, I reluctantly followed him to his study. Levi decided to abandon us after announcing that he was going to sleep and to wake him up for dinner.

I could count on one hand the number of times I had been inside my father's office despite having lived in the same house for most of my life. I was always surprised when I entered the room because in my mind, it was a dark and depressing cave that fueled his inner workaholic.

The study was brightly lit yet still had a professional air to it. Against one wall there were tall bookcases filled with files and books that I would probably find uninteresting instead of fascinating (my father is weird like that). In one corner of the room I noticed a couch that looked quite comfortable. The off-white pillows scattered across it's seat were a welcome invitation to a much needed nap. Sunlight streamed through the handful of windows behind my father's desk giving the whole room an unexpected warmth.

My father took a seat behind his desk as I took the seat across from him. My chair was one of those rolly ones and it took all of my self restraint to not start spinning around in circles.

The silence that encased the room gave me the urge to start fidgeting uncomfortably in my seat so I trapped my hands underneath my legs and forced myself to look at my father.

"You can just start at the beginning if that's any easier," I offered in an attempt to eliminate the awkward silence. Feeling uncomfortable with my family, or even people I considered myself 'close' with, was something I always hated.

"Tell me what you know about different words," my father said, leaning back in his seat.

I shrugged, "Not much. I mean, I've never thought that there was only one, that would be silly wouldn't it? I came up with somewhat of a theory while I was at the Spring Court but it's probably dumb."

"Don't say that," Dad chided me, but not unkindly, "Tell me what you came up with and after, I'll tell you what we know so far."

"M'kay," I mumbled. I cleared my throat, "Well, there's got to be a bunch of other worlds that exist, right? But since we can't see those other worlds there must be something in between. I was thinking that it's like a hallway with a bunch of doors and each one leads to a different world. The reason most people can't travel between the doors, or worlds, is because the doors are all locked. Anyone who can travel to another world has something that can unlock the doors, a sort of key or something. I don't know if that makes any sense though."

"That's actually pretty close to what we thought," Levi said, making me jump and turn in my seat. He laughed at my surprised expression, "I decided not to sleep."

"Congratulations," I deadpanned.

"Thanks," Levi said, mirroring my tone, "But seriously, you're actually not too far off from our theory."

"Would you like to explain?" Dad asked Levi. My brother collapsed onto the very comfortable looking couch at the back of the room.

"No."

"Alright, then," Dad sighed, "The hallway idea was really close, Bri, don't underestimate yourself, yeah? The theory your brother and I came up with, well, let's think of a hundred story building. Of course there are more than a hundred worlds but let's use that to help us explain. Now, on each floor of the building there is a different world. Let's say Earth is on level one and Prythian is on level five. To get from Earth to Prythian one must have, like you said, a 'key' of some sort. In your case, and for most who are able to travel between worlds, it's magic, but a specific type of magic."

"We're not entirely sure what that specific type of magic is though," Levi interjected, "But apparently we all have it which makes us special."

I snorted at that, "I'm not like other girls."

"No, you're stupider than other girls," Levi said, smiling sarcastically.

"Stupider isn't a word, go back to second grade."

"Alright," Dad said, shutting up both Levi and I, "Bri, should we continue?"

"Yes, please. Can we address the fact that you identify as the High Lord of the Day Court?"

"Wait, I want to explain this part," Levi interjected. Dad nodded and Levi took it as a sign to continue, "Okay, so, Dad found this spell that allows him to split parts of his conscience and send them to other places. Then, this part is kind of creepy, he creates a body, or vessel, for his conscience to occupy."

"That is creepy," I agreed, ignoring dad's protests. "So dad can exist in two places at once. And he's Helion."

"Precisely," Levi confirmed.

"So is our mom the Autumn Court Lady? WAIT, please don't tell me our mom is Mor. I will actually throw up and never speak to you again."

Levi rolled his eyes, "Our mother is the 'Autumn Court Lady,' genius. Do any of us look blonde to you?"

My brother's sarcasm flew over my head as my mind continued to spin. The countless questions that I wanted to ask would have to wait because I was sure that anymore information was sure to make my head explode.

"Are you alright, Bri?" I heard my father ask. I nodded in response and smiled, hoping it would help to convey that. Dad's grimace told me that I had been unsuccessful in doing so.

"Why don't you try and get some sleep for a few hours," he suggested gently, "Levi or I will wake you up for dinner."

"Sounds good to me," I mumbled sleepily. I left the study without another word.

• ☼ •

Dinner was a quiet affair. Sleep hadn't done much to help soothe my mind, the damn thing was adamant on not letting me rest. I spent much of the meal poking at grains of rice until they were scattered across my plate. My stomach's unease was most likely a consequence of the mess inside my head.

The next few days passed in a similar manner and by the third day, I could practically feel the worry radiating off of both my father and brother. However, neither confronted me about it and I figured it was because they weren't quite sure how to. I didn't mind though. It meant that I was left alone and allowed to do what I pleased. The mornings were spent reading and writing on the little bench in our backyard and the afternoons were reserved for thinking.

It was on the sixth day that Levi confronted me.

It was on the sixth day that Levi told me we had to leave.

• ☼ •

chapter 8 preview!!

"We have to go," Levi barged into my room. His tone was one that left no room for argument and it made me sit up straight immediately.

"What do you mean go? Go where?"

"Amarantha." Was all Levi said before leaving just as quickly as he had entered. I cursed under my breath, not entirely sure of what Levi wanted me to do, but started getting ready anyway.

"Where's dad?" I questioned, raising my voice so that Levi could hear me from wherever he was in the house.

"Gone. Under the Mountain, maybe? I really don't know," Levi replied.

I cursed again, then decided to change out of the sweatpants and hoodie I had been living in for the past six days. Not that anyone would care what I was wearing but, assuming that Levi planned to march straight to Amarantha, I would much rather show up looking better than the carrot-headed bitch.

"I'm so badass," I hummed to myself, posing in the mirror, "Get on my level." 

--

BESTIES IM SO SORRY FOR DISAPPEARING AND THEN THIS CHAPTER ISN'T THAT GREAT BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO EXPLAIN THE WHOLE JUMPING WORLDS THING.

Anyways, I love you all... make sure you drink some water!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.3K 1.3K 55
Two years have passed since Mikael Anik and Estelle Marzena survived the Illyrian Blood Rite and were mated. They've finally settled into their new l...
60.5K 225 13
Just a few little stories to acotar. Some fluff, smut, sometimes unordinary shippings, whatever comes out xD. Hope you enjoy, much fun! Attention: So...
4.3K 123 11
"Before the sun sets on the winter solstice you must find this Illyrian, carve out his very essence Under the Mountain where it all began." ---- Alth...
95.1K 2.6K 34
What if Amarantha was pregnant with Rhysand's daughter and he didn't know about it until years later? Will she follow down the same path of darkness...