Little Things

Bởi LDCrichton

Xem Thêm

Little Things
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Epilogue

Chapter Four

7.1K 230 7
Bởi LDCrichton

Chapter Four

Liam ran his finger along the edge of the counter and looked around the bus. It had been cleared of almost all of its contents but a few small mementos remained. A beanie Harry favored had been left behind along with a sock that had long ago lost its mate and an empty bottle of water. The tour had been long and demanding but they were off for the holidays and he intended to enjoy it. 

The screen on his phone lit up the bus. Niall. Liam brought the receiver to his ear and answered, "An Irishman says what?" 

Niall's voice was loud on the other end to be heard over the excessive background noise. "What?" 

Liam laughed. "Exactly." 

Niall was either unaware of Liam's teasing or he chose to ignore it. "Do me a favor." 

"Yeah," Liam said. "What's that?" 

"Ya know that watch I bought for my dad?" 

"I remember you buying it," he said. 

"I think I left it on the bus." 

"I'm on the bus right now, don't see it." 

Niall paused on the other end of the line. "Em, have a look in the third drawer down, left of when you get on the bus." 

He walked to the drawer Niall spoke of and pulled it open. Inside was a small burgundy box with a gold scalloped design around the edges. "You mean the watch in the box that is in the third drawer down left of when you walk on the bus." 

"Yeah," Niall answered cheerfully, "That's the one." 

"You've forgotten it," Liam replied. 

"No kidding. Thanks for pointin' out the completely obvious." 

Liam tilted his head to keep the phone in place, "Anytime." 

"I really need that watch, mate." 

He flipped open the box and looked at the face. Six pm. The time seemed about right. "Listen," he said. "I can probably make it to White Rabbit Delivery Service before they close for the day. That way your package will never ever..." 

Niall cut in before Liam could finish reciting the well known slogan himself, "be late, late, late." They both laughed. "Would ya mind doing that for me?" 

"Yeah, I can help you get it sorted." 

"Thanks." 

"No problem." 

Historically, Liam had spent Christmases at home in Wolverhampton with his parents and sisters. They'd share a traditional Christmas dinner and enjoy the important things in life...like each other. Now that he was in a position to do so, he wanted to treat his family to a side of the finer things that he'd recently been exposed to. This year he'd organized a ski trip to Aspen. Up until Niall's phone call, he'd been about to head to the airport to kill time and board his plane solo.  

Flight schedules between his family and him didn't mesh and they were stuck in the UK for two more days but were due to meet him there later in the week. He figured it would be the perfect opportunity to get in some of his own skiing, possibly even take a snowboarding lesson or two before their arrival when he'd be required to mellow out and visit. 

The White Rabbit was located just a few blocks from where their bus was and Liam made it there in short order. As he walked through the front door, a rush of concentrated, warm air surged over him. He stopped for a moment, enjoying the contrast between the heat and the crisp air outside.  

A robust woman sat perched on a stool behind the counter. She had a shock of white hair and as Liam approached, he couldn't help comparing her to the likeness of Mrs. Claus. Her glasses were even tiny squares that fell to the edge of her nose. She beamed as he approached the counter. "How can I help you?" 

Liam held the box. "I need to get this to Mullingar, Ireland as fast as possible, please."  

The woman smiled again and focused on the screen in front of her. Her hands flew over the keys. She hummed and hawed and mumbled all sorts of things to herself before shoving the bridge of her glasses further up her nose. "Ah hah!" There we go." 

That sounded promising. "Here we go," Liam said. "Brilliant." 

"What kind of service do you want?" 

"The very fastest kind. How soon can it be there?" 

"There's express service," she said. "And express service with 10 am delivery, and express service with 9 am delivery." 

"So it can be there at 9 am?" 

"Tomorrow young man? You think this package can be in Ireland by tomorrow?" 

Right. Fair enough. It was slightly unrealistic. "The next day then?" 

She nodded. 

"That'll be fine, thanks."  

She printed waybills and stickers and packaged up Niall's forgotten timepiece. He paid for the parcel, thanking Mrs. Claus before turning to walk away, anxious to make his flight but something stopped him dead in his tracks.  

She was crouched in the corner, back against the wall with her knees pulled to her chest. Her arms looped around them and her face was down and hidden from view by her hair which draped over her like a curtain. A single rooster feather poked out from the left side of her locks.  

He stepped closer and allowed his gaze to travel to her shoulder. Just peeking from underneath the edge of her black t-shirt was the tattoo quarter sleeve he'd nearly memorized every time she was near him. It was an image of nail polishes, a necklace, make up brushes, lipsticks, all in varying shades of pink and purple.  

When she was putting powder on them or fussing over their hair or clothes for TV appearances or shows, he'd had plenty of opportunity to study it. Now that he was seeing it again, there was no doubt in his mind it was her. 

Her shoulders rose and fell very softly and he feared she was crying. He gingerly approached and knelt in front of her, setting his hands on her knees. "Kaitlin?" 

She didn't so much at flinch at his touch or his voice but she did look up with red rimmed eyes. "Oh," she said. "Hey, Liam." 

"Whatcha doing here, babe?" 

She hugged her knees tighter and sniffled. "Hanging out, you know, figured I liked the scenery." She waved her hands. "They have nice Christmas decor. Like, look at that wreath over there. It's beautiful, don't you think?"  

His eyes followed the direction that she had gestured until he saw what she spoke of. A wreath made from paper circles, they weren't even colored, just plain sheets of lined paper fashioned into makeshift bulbs. "The hideous spherical shaped monstrosity? I may have to disagree with you, love. I mean, there's not much effort, is there? Why are you really here?" More importantly, why was she upset? 

She thrust her phone toward him. "I was supposed to meet my boyfriend here. He's a delivery driver," she added. "When he got off work we were going to drive to his parents place together for the holiday. Instead I got this. Merry Christmas." 

Liam looked at the screen. 

Kaitlin, 

It's not working. I'm sorry. You're a great girl. 

Rick. 

His jaw must've dropped because Kaitlin gazed at him with very wide eyes. "I know, right?" she said. "Un-freakin-believable." 

"It's like it's from a film," Liam said. "A bad film."  

She smiled. "Not even a B rated one."  

"He's a sod." 

"I don't know what that means," she said. "But it sounds derogatory enough that I have to agree." 

"Right. He's a twit. A jerk. What about your Mum and Dad?" 

She shrugged and looked down. "Don't have one." 

"Don't have a Mum or Dad?" 

She shook her head. 

That was not the answer he expected. "You don't have parents?" 

Kaitlin chewed on her bottom lip. "My parents died in a car wreck when I was two. I grew up in an orphanage." 

How did he not know this? It really was like a bad film. He blinked wondering how to proceed from there. "Oh. I'm so sorry." 

"S'okay. It would suck more if I knew them." 

He supposed she had a valid point. "So what are you going to do for the holidays?" 

"Truth?" 

He nodded. 

"I'm predicting a lot of made for TV movies, microwave dinners and if I'm lucky, I'll squeeze a good cry in there. Pretty much the same as every other Christmas." 

He made a split second, spontaneous decision. "No," he said. "You're coming to Aspen with me." 

Her large green eyes grew in shock. "Liam, that's sweet, which doesn't really surprise me coming from you, 'cause well, you're so sweet; but I couldn't possibly." 

"I'm afraid I might have to insist," he said, truthfully. There was no way he could in good conscience get up and leave her behind. 

"Your family doesn't get to see much of you anymore. I'd be intruding." 

At least he had a family to miss him! The thought of her, of anyone spending Christmas alone made him feel hollow inside. Yes, this wouldn't be open for any kind of debate. 

He stood and extended his hand. "C'mon, let's go skiing." 

Kaitlin swiped at her eyes and drew her brows together. "In Aspen? Are you kidding?" 

"Serious as Zayn's hair," Liam replied. 

She laughed. "That's pretty serious." 

"I know. Doesn't get much more real than that." 

"I can't really afford Aspen," she said. "Have you ever been there?" 

"Nope," Liam said. "This will be a first and I didn't ask if you could afford it, I asked you to accompany me." He was done waiting for her to take his hand, grabbing hers and helping her up.  

"You kind of told me," Kaitlin said, brushing her hair to one side. "Anyway, it's hoity toity there, just so you know." 

He had a hard time repeating her words. "Hoity toity? What is that, exactly?" 

"For people with money." 

"Oh, aloof. Like snobbish," he said, proud of his ability to take the invented words and make sense of them. 

"Yeah, aloof. I don't really think you'll fit in," she said. 

"Good thing I'm not going to fit in then. Just to ski and spend some time with my family." 

"I'll be like the awkward house guest who never leaves." 

Liam put his arm over her shoulder and steered her toward the door, fearing that if he allowed her to keep talking, they would both miss the flight. "You'd never be awkward love, and if you never wanted to leave, that would be fine by me."  

"Liam?" 

He stretched his hand across the door and held it open for her. "Um hmm." 

"I've never been on skis. Not once in my life." 

"Don't worry darling, it's a piece of cake." 

Kaitlin was mostly quiet during the taxi ride to the airport and he used the chance to watch her, a past time he'd become rather fond of over the last year. She was seated across from him, starting out the window, twisting her hands in her lap.  

The feather in her hair was neon pink today, a stark contrast to the sandy brown color of her tresses. She wore the feathers often but the colors always changed. The nails of her ring fingers were painted to match. He always thought it was rather quirky that two of ten nails were different but it somehow added to her charms. If Kaitlin ever noticed his silent appreciation for everything about her that was beautiful, she never let on.  

After unloading the taxi and checking in with the airline, they had to go through security. Kaitlin placed her small pink purse in the plastic tray. As the belt carried it through the x-ray machine, a buzzer sounded and a man in uniform for the airline, crooked a finger. "Come here, please miss."  

Worry flashed across her face as she obliged, offering the man a smile.  

The security guard was stoic, his expression unwavering, immune to her charm. "Dump out the contents of your bag."  

Her cheeks flushed with color, she was obviously embarrassed. She picked the purse up and turned it, revealing its contents.  

A hairbrush, a cell phone, ear buds and the damned eye cream she'd been on about that morning with Zayn.  

"That," the guard said, pointing to the bottle of lotion, "you can't take that on the plane."  

"Really? It's just a bottle of eye cream."  

"FAA rules." 

"But it's expensive," she protested. "And my bags are already checked." 

"Sorry miss. I can't permit this on the plane." 

Liam watched as Kaitlin looked at the guard with desperate, pleading eyes. Eyes that were beautiful with or without the lines she tried to hide, eyes that were welling with tears. "I can't take the plane hostage with a bottle of wrinkle cream!" 

He brought his hand to the small of her back and leaned to speak softly in her ear. "It's alright. Throw it out. I'm sure we can get some there." 

"Your boyfriend is right, Miss," the guard said.  

"He's not," she was about to fill the security guard in on Liam not being her boyfriend but stopped, huffing, "there's no way I can take it with me?" 

"I'm sorry, Miss." 

Resigned to her creamless fate, Kaitlin sulked over to the rubbish bin and pitched the offending bottle inside. When she turned and headed back in Liam's direction, she looked as though she was prepping to cry again. 

He didn't know everything about her but he'd spent enough time around Katie to know she wasn't dramatic or overly emotional. On the contrary, she was funny and spunky and always cracking jokes with them. 

The fact that her wrinkle cream-the same cream she'd joked about that morning-the one she didn't need-- suddenly possessed the power to make her cry; well he could only guess her day was far worse that she was letting on.  

Did she love Rick? Was her heart in pieces? Could Liam somehow pick them up and put them back together again? 

She managed to keep it together whilst they boarded the plane. Liam offered her the window seat and took his spot next to her. She looked out the window into blackness, same as she had in the cab and slowly but surely, he watched her begin to unravel on herself.  

Tears pooled in her eyes and her bottom lip quivered. It was alarming to see her in such a state and he simply wanted to fix everything. She tried to fluff the U-shaped travel pillow but her efforts were useless. He feared the failure at pillow fluffing may be her true undoing for the day so before it could happen, he flipped the armrest between the two seats up and set them to both recline. "Sometimes you just need someone to hold you," he stated. His words were bold, he knew, but true.  

Kaitlin looked at his chest. "Are you sure you don't mind?"  

No. He'd never mind. Not with her. Wordlessly, he placed an arm around her shoulders and pulled her down so she lay on his chest. He prayed his heart wasn't hammering too loudly. Moments later, he got his answer when her breathing evened out and the steadiness which her shoulders rose and fell told him she was sound asleep.  

Liam pulled out his phone and snapped a quick picture. He attached it to a text message with the words: My Christmas came just a little bit early. Happy Holidays, L. 

Then he hit 'send' and settled in for the flight.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

2.9K 21 38
A fanfic about One Direction and a mutual person who got caught up in their world! (There is such a story behind this. Someone said that writing a fa...