Little Things

This is a work of fiction. With the notable exception of Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles and “One Direction” -- all names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business companies, events or locations is entirely coincidental.

No part of this publication and its associated content may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without written permission from the author.

 Copyright © 2013 Leah Crichton

All rights reserved.

 Prologue  

Harry peeled back the curtain to peer outside. "The gloomy sky reminds me of home," he said.  

"It just makes me excited to be going home," Niall said. "It's been a long time."  

Louis stretched his legs out in front of him and sighed. "Too long. I bet my bamboo plant has perished."

"I'm going to pretend you're not worried about a stick of bamboo," Harry said. "Like it has feelings."  

"You don't know her," Louis retorted. "Maybe she does."  

"She?" Niall asked. "How'd you know your bamboo shoot is a girl?"  

"Because she's zen just like a girl." He turned to his friend, determined to change the subject. "Liam, do you regret not going back home for the holidays?"  

"I'm going to Aspen, with my family. Hardly a hardship," Liam said. "Besides, I need to be back in London for New Years Eve so I get the best of all worlds. Aspen and the UK."  

"Good point." Zayn knocked lotion from a bottle into the palm of his hands just as Kaitlin one of their stylists, walked into the room, mouth agape.  

"You didn't seriously just do that," she said in disbelief.  

Zayn blinked and rubbed his hands together. "I didn't do what, babe?"  

"Use my eye lotion for your hands."  

He brought the bottle to his face to read the label. "It doesn't say anything about eye lotion. It says anti-wrinkle cream," he said.  

"It's my eye cream," she repeated.  

"Yeah," Louis chimed in. "Her eye cream not your hand lotion, Zayn."  

"That's two hundred dollars a bottle," she added.  

Liam made a sputtering noise, nearly gagging on the hot cocoa he'd been drinking. "Oh my God! Does it make the blind see again?"  

Kaitlin looked at him and frowned. "It smoothes crowsfeet and fine lines." Her face softened and she threw her hands in the air in a grand gesture. "And it has been rumored to make blind people see. To turn darkness into light. Hallelujah!" 

Niall shook his head. "We're all going straight down. Especially you," he pointed to Kaitlin. "No pit stops. Just. Straight. Down."  

Harry held his hand up. "Wait a minute. Crowsfeet? I thought it was for your eyes."  

"Crowsfeet," Kaitlin proclaimed pointing to the side of her eye. She faux smiled and three miniscule lines appeared. "These." 

Liam leaned forward. "He can't see them. Too bad Zayn has gone and wasted the cure!"  

"You could have said laugh lines," Harry said. "That's what you call them, yeah, laugh lines?"  

Kaitlin ignored him and chided Liam instead. "You're a smart alec."  

Zayn set the bottle down like it contained the secret to perpetual youth. "Sorry Katie," he said. "I shouldn't have used it. I'll buy you a bottle."  

Kaitlin looked at her watch. "When? Between now and your flight in three hours?"  

Zayn smiled. "When we get back to it, then, after holidays?"  

She pointed a finger. "You couldn't get away with this if you weren't so cute."  

He shrugged. "It's a curse."  

"Or a result of the two hundred dollar a bottle lotion you've been using, " Liam offered. "If it smoothes lines that don't exist, it must also stop time completely."  

Niall laughed and gave Liam a high five but when Kaitlin's gaze settled on him in an icy glare, the grin on his face evaporated and he looked away.  

The silence that followed was long and drawn out until Louis chimed in. "I love when everyone is utterly uncomfortable. Such a strange feeling, really."  

"No one is uncomfortable," Liam said. "We're all just in quiet awe that Katie thinks she needs wrinkle cream." He looked at Kaitlin, "you're what? Nineteen?"  

"Twenty," she said.  

"Stop the presses!" Louis yelled. "Aging begins at twenty!"  

Harry sauntered over to where she stood and draped an arm across Kaitlin's shoulder. "I reckon," he said, "it's like you're waiting round to just keel over and be done with it."  

Despite her best efforts, Kaitlin allowed a small laugh to escape. "Alright," she said. "I get the point. I'm not exactly old," she turned to Harry, "I'm certainly not waiting to kick the bucket. But I do have fine lines."  

"You mean find lines," Liam said. "Like you have to find them."  

Kaitlin's gaze narrowed. "It's a good thing I'm getting a break from the five of you."  

"You'll miss us, Katie," Harry said. "I know it."  

"Yep," Niall said. "The good news is, we'll always find you."  

Louis laughed. "Because that doesn't sound creepy at all, mate."  

Niall arched a brow. "Coming from the guy who has given his bamboo shoot a gender."  

Zayn picked up his bag and rose to his feet planting an affectionate kiss on the top of Kaitlin's head. "As much as sitting round discussing fine lines and bamboo shoots appeals to me, I've got to run. Enjoy your Christmas." He looked at his band mates. "Alright, I'll be in New York by tomorrow morning to get that painting for my mom. I'll see all of you in London on New Year's Eve." As he made it to the door, he spun around, "Oh, and stay out of trouble. Happy Holidays."  

Stay out of trouble.  

Famous last words.