An Inconvenient Attraction

By GirlOfAPearl

Lady Elizabeth 'Eliza' Greystone is summoned from her finishing school to enter society. She catches the eye... More

Chapter 1- The Return
Chapter 2- The Prince's Ball
Chapter 3- A New Friend
Chapter 4- Horses
Chapter 5- The Envy of Them All
Chapter 6- A Ladder Climbing Archer
Chapter 8- Happy Birthday Eliza
Chapter 9- Fire
Chapter 10- A Queen's View
Chapter 11- A Little Kindness
Chapter 12- The Spinster Sister
Chapter 13- A Walk on the Tame Side
Chapter 14- Friends?
Chapter 15- A Wanted Woman
Chapter 16- A Bold Announcement
Chapter 17- The Waiting Game
Chapter 18- A Final Decision
Chapter 19- Making It Official
Chapter 20

Chapter 7- Playing Nurse

468 26 1
By GirlOfAPearl

Eliza dipped the cloth into the cold water, drenching it before dabbing it on Rose's forehead.

Rose had come down with some sort of flu, a reaction to some foreign material the physician said. She lay in bed, red hot, fatigued and shaky. It had really upset her missing a tea party with her friends and a floral display at the gardens, but there was really nothing she could do until she was better.

"Is that better sweetie?"

Rose nodded. She was better than she had been, it was really only the fever and a bit of tiredness that remained. Nobody liked seeing the youngest Greystone ill, she was usually so sweet and happy. At least she'd be well soon enough.

They were all taking it in turns to care for her, even taking over from servants. Heck, even the servants were worried about Rose- everybody loved her.

"Do you want me to plait your hair?"

"Yes please."

Eliza clambered into the bed beside Rose, taking her sister's lovely blonde hair and starting to brush it. She'd always had that special bond with Rose. The two sisters understood one another, they were the most alike- most at home at tea parties, dances and doing ladylike activities. Eddie was a man and well, Hannah preferred reading alone. Eliza remembered holding Rose when she was barely an hour old, completely entranced and glad she was no longer the baby of the family.

"You are going to be so popular when you attend society. Won't it be fun when we can go together? We'll dress up and dance."

"You might be married by then."

"I do hope so."

"Henrietta's brother likes you."

"Lord Gerald? Hmm, he seems nice, I don't know him so well but they're a good family. Mama thinks the Duke of Rutherford's son may be interested but she also heard that he's hoping to marry one of the girls who the prince is due to wed. I wouldn't mind marrying his son, I'd be a Duchess one day which would be nice. Marrying well means prospects for you and Eddie, which is important. Hannah, well, I don't think she needs my help."

"Why doesn't she want to get married?"

"I don't know sweetie, but there's no point trying to persuade her. Maybe she'll join a convent."

Rose giggled.

"Don't tease, I'd miss her terribly."

"As would I."

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" Eliza called.

Eddie and Hannah both entered.

"Room for more?" Eddie asked.

Rose nodded, so the siblings grabbed some seats and joined her at the beside.

"I thought you might want to hear about my morning with Sir Archibald's eldest daughter?"

They all laughed as Rose nodded excitedly, straightening up.

"If I'm honest, I would have liked to see more of Miss. Maria, she's the middle one, but I'd offend the family if I didn't choose the eldest so Miss. Jane it was. Anyway, we took a walk around the gardens. It was pleasant. She's a nice girl, good family and good at conversation. I didn't feel my heart pounding with excitement but it's not all about love, is it? I'd like to see more of her, so we're attending a play."

"What did she wear?" Rose asked.

"A burgundy feathered cap and matching velvet dress. Before you asked, I complimented her outfit, I'm not stupid. I'm still disappointed Lady Millicent was taken off the market before I had a chance to ask, I must admit. One must move quickly in these matters as mother is always reminding us."

They all laughed.

"Albert White was asking about you Hannah."

Hannah rolled her eyes, "It's not going to happen."

"At least take a walk with him or something."

"I'm not interested Eddie. The second I marry, I'm expected to do all the things that I am uninterested in. You're the heir, Eliza and Rose are the spares, it's not like our family fortunes rest on me. I don't want to be stuck as my husband's property. A lot of women marry to escape fathers and brothers only to find that their husbands are even worse. Oh and childbirth? I still remember when mama had Rose, it doesn't sound like fun."

"The whole property thing is outdated, Han," Eliza reminded her with a light smile, "Those laws changed over a century ago. Can you imagine father trying to control mother? Heck, all the wives and mothers we know are the backbones of our society."

"I'm not risking it, I like my life," Hannah shrugged, "You can go kiss your prince."

Eliza went scarlet red as the attention turned onto her.

"He does seem awful fond of you Eliza," Rose teased.

"You're delirious Rose, you don't know what you're talking about."

"Have you kissed him?"

"Rose, no! He's got the other women to consider as his bride, I would never even consider it. Besides, there's nothin romantic in nature about us, we are just good friends."

"It's not like he's engaged, Eliza. I kissed Miss. Clara Bates when she was still considering options."

"I am not kissing the prince!" Eliza protested.

"You so fancy him," Hannah sang.

"Don't you start."

"Aww, she's all shy about her little prince," Eddie continued, "Princess Elizabeth. I can imagine you on a platform with a crown and that royal wave. Besides, even if he does marry one of the other girls, she's not going to be the only lady he's ever kissed. Don't act as though you've never kissed anyone Eliza, I know for a fact you kissed my friend George when you were sixteen."

Eliza looked furious.

"A lady would never kiss and tell," was the haughty reply.

"At the costume ball, the prince was looking at you all night, even when the Countess was around. He wouldn't ask you to dance first at every ball and hang out with you alone if he wasn't smitten. You wouldn't accept it either."

"I told His Highness not to pick me first but he just says that he does what he wants."

"Just like when Eddie was nine and decided that he wanted to choose his own clothes?" Hannah smirked at her older brother, "I remember that horrible smock you 'borrowed' from the servants' quarter. Nanny nearly smacked you with that ruler for stealing. All you could say was that you were a lord and you could do whatever you want. You didn't say that when mother confronted you."

"I was nine, give me a break."

"It was awful," Eliza told Rose, "Your hair is done now."

"Thank you, it's very pretty."

There was another knock on the door.

"Enter!"

An unknown man carrying a brown bag entered.

"May we help you sir?" Eddie rose, his nobleman routine all ready.

"I am Dr. Goodwin, the court physician."

The siblings looked at one another, confused.

"The royal physician?" Eddie repeated.

"Yes, I've been sent to tend to the Lady Rose."

"Our parents sent for you? I thought that Rose was doing better."

"Oh yes, the Lady isn't too unwell. I was sent by the prince."

"Pardon?" Eliza had to ask.

"The prince said that the sister of someone very dear to him was ill with a bad reaction and that he commanded me to ensure she is well cared for until she has regained her full health."

Darn you Alex, you helpful pain

"Well we are most grateful," Eddie nodded, "We shall allow you to examine her. Eliza, do you wish to stay with her?"

"Would you like that Rose?"

Rose nodded.

"We'll be outside," Eddie and Hannah left the room.

As Dr. Goodwin started to check Rose over, Eliza couldn't help but ask a question that had been niggling at her.

"Does the prince send you out to non-royals often, doctor?" she asked innocently.

"I believe this may be the first time, ma'am."

She'd told him not to get close, how they were only friends and they both had their obligations. Still, he dispatched royal resources to tend to her beloved sister. Alex knew how much Rose meant to Eliza, how much family meant to her.

He just kept pulling her in and there was nothing she could do about it.

Hi all, hope you enjoyed this one. Don't forget to check out my newer story 'Bride of the Harshlands.'

Next Time: Alex is forced to spend time with Cecilia, but makes time to give Eliza two very special birthday gifts.

Don't forget to like and comment xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 130 8
𝓐𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝔂 𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓶𝓮 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽'𝓼 𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓵 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓵𝓮𝓰𝓪𝓬𝔂 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓫𝓾𝓻𝓰...
383K 11.7K 65
Elizabeth Connor, A former citizen of the village that despise her poor family. She's bright and shy, just like any other girl at her century. She ha...
157K 7K 34
Alexander smiled at her. "You are quite likeable, Emmeline, and I think we might one day be dear friends, but I doubt I shall ever wish to marry you...
16.6K 1.2K 56
[COMPLETED] She can save them all. Her people. Her kingdom. Her family. But only if she marries the king of the enemy. Hell breaks loose when 𝐈𝐌𝐎�...