Pursuit of the Whole

By QuinnCatcher

Sometimes Julia wonders if werewolves are born with half of their soul. If that isn't the case, then why woul... More

Pursuit of the Whole
I. Our School
II. Trouble
III. School Loser
IV. The Werewolves
V. Crazy Side
VI. Three Cavities
VII. Best Dad Ever
VIII. Big Mistake
IX. The Nightwalkers Pack
X. To Find My Mate
XI. Taunting
XII. Hermit
XIII. Beautiful Emeralds
XIV. Thank You
XV. A Stalker
XVI. Pass the Peas
XVII. Kai Problem
XVIII. Nah
XIX. Found His Mate
XX. More Bottles
XXI. Indecisive Self
XXII. Hunters
XXIII. Paint Me the Villain
XXIV. Playing Hero
XXV. Bear the Consequences
XXVI. You're Here
XXVII. Sup
XXVIII. Full Undivided Attention
XXIX. Another Julia
XXX. Disease
XXXI. Just a Friend
XXXII. Good Memories
XXXIII. No Value
XXXIV. Unintentionally
XXXV. Quickie
XXXVI. Safe and Sound
XXXVII. Obligation
XXXVIII. Or Later
XXXIX. Date to Talk
XL. What the World Has to Offer
XLI. February
XLII. A Hunt for Kai
XLIII. Quick Buck
XLIV. Baking Potatoes
XLV. DVDs
XLVI. Three Months
XLVII. Murderers
XLVIII. Peeing in a Bottle
XLIX. Confidential
L. Anger
LI. Neutral
LII. Two Predators
LIII. Most Pitiful Person
LIV. That Man
LV. Like a Horse
LVI. To Be Better
LVIII. Always Behind You
Pursuit of the Whole: Mark (Book 2)

LVII. Total Victory

2.1K 82 9
By QuinnCatcher

I know I can't bribe the judge to be on my side like the others.

But, I can scratch the emotions of the public. The people don't want logic; they want whatever their emotions tell them.

And right now, on national television, a young suburban do-nothing-wrong girl just spilled her sad life story to them.

Purposely reminding them of the flaw of the justice system.

How they didn't win.

The government did.

The government will always win.

I had thought about it day and night. What to do. Winning against Blood Moon is the easy part. Going against the government is the hard portion.

I know bringing out my life story is a pathetic card to play, but I'm willing to risk it all so as not to lose to them again.

Not to see those snarky grins.

Not from the people on the other side of the table or the bribed judges in front of us.

Everything was planned.

But, not what happens next.

Kai rushed forward and went on his knees. "Please. Please. Please! Don't take me away. I don't want to leave Julia and mom and dad and Eric and Brenda and Brian. Please! Please! Don't take my happiness away again!"

Kai tries to control his cries, but the tears burst out of his face.

"Kai will be a good boy! Kai will be a very good boy!" Kai curls his body inward on the ground. "I promise! I'll be a good boy!" His whole tiny body trembles.

I went on my knees beside him and touched his back lightly.

He looks up, "J-J-Julia. I don't want to go. I want to stay with you." Immediately, he hugs me firmly and lets out a loud cry.

After Kai calmed down, we went back to my seat. Kai sat on top of me with his face buried on my chest. There were uncontrollable tears and snots.

The whole room was in an awkward state.

Someone walks in and whispers to the judge's ears.

They spread the message one way or another through the rows.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will have to re-evaluate the situation. We will now have a thirty minutes recess." The judge pounds his gavel.

Everyone moves out of their room and towards the break room.

I stop in the hallway, "Dad. Take Kai. I'll meet you all in the break room."

Dad stares at me.

Everyone stares at me.

I smile lightly, "Trust me. Please."

Dad grabs Kai, but he wouldn't let go of me.

"Kai," I said softly. "I'll be in there. Okay?"

Kai's mouth was in a full-fledged frown, but he nodded anyway.

Once they were inside the break room, I made my way towards the other room. I open the door to see Mr.Rowland facing the large window. When I got closer, I saw what's outside. It was chaos.

"I didn't expect you to do that." Mr.Rowland takes out a cigar and lit it up.

I smile, "Good. It was supposed to be unexpected."

"You're awfully calm after telling your story to the world."

Calm?

Honestly, I didn't expect to feel this way.

This sense of lightness.

So, this is why people spill their life stories to others.

"Yeah."

"I don't believe there are any changes in our arrangements. I will take the boy after everything settles."

I can't believe he thinks he can still take Kai.

I chuckle, "No, you won't."

Mr.Rowland removes the cigar from his lips and walks towards the table. He taps the ashes into a tray. "I don't suppose you would trade a boy you've known for several months for your father. Would you?"

I smile again, "Don't test me." I made my way towards him, "I'm pretty sure you know there's a video spiraling around the web nowadays."

"I do know."

"Do you know who gave me the video?"

There's a moment where his face is void of emotions, but soon, a smile surfaces. "I do know."

I nod, "If the information about who gave me the video went public. I supposed that person wouldn't get a big punishment considering who her father is."

"I'm quite certain she would even get praised for it."

I nod slowly as I paced back towards the glass window. "I supposed...unless the video was forged and dear ole sad story girl did not know."

There were more people than when we first entered.

Finally, I look at Mr.Rowland's face.

"What are you implying?"

"You're smart, Mr.Rowland. I'm certain you know what I'm going to do if you expose my dad."

At first, I didn't notice it. But the more I watched the video, the clearer it got. The video wasn't about Blood Moon, but Florescent. Rosalina probably tapped it when she was staying in Florescent territory.

Most likely, Rosalina edits the video to make it look like it was Blood Moon. Every pack has a symbol, and the symbols can be edited. The only difference between Blood Moon and Florescent is the flower in the middle.

Then, she pretended that Jenny gave her the video.

I admit, she almost got me.

If Brian didn't point out how it could be another pack territory if we edit flowers or some other symbols in, I would never have caught on.

"You don't have the power."

"I don't." I tap my shoes against the glass, "But, I wouldn't say the same about him."

"He's not your friend."

"You're right; he's my soulmate. Even if he's not on my side, he'll always protect me. Well, at least make sure I'm alive."

"You'll regret it."

I smile, "I'm not the girl who will be hunted by both Florescent and Blood Moon after this." I pace towards the door, "Let's not forget that Lana - the chosen one - is mated to Cole, who is the alpha of Blood Moon. Faking evidence against the chosen one pack is a big no-no towards the elders."

I stop at the door and turn around to see Mr.Rowland's red face.

It's quite satisfying.

I smile, "I don't suppose you would trade a boy you've known for several months for your daughter. Would you?"

Without a verbal response, I left the room.

One battle over.

"Julia!"

And another battle pops up.

In front of me were Lana and a few others. I focused on Lana, who had obviously cried.

"Um-"

I didn't intervene in her long pause.

"Um, I'm sorry," she said. "I-I-I didn't know you went through such a terrible thing in the past...and...and...I blamed every-"

I hugged her.

You got to know when to push and when to pull.

"It's okay," I whispered, "It was my fault. I know I should've helped you, but...but I was so-" I stop talking.

Lana embraced me back, "It's okay. I understand now why you're so distant. Your refusal to help." She smiles, "Don't blame yourself, okay?"

I release her and hold her hands. "Thank you so much for understanding." I bit my lower lips, "And...Kai-" I didn't finish my sentence again.

"No. No. Don't worry about him. I'll talk to the elders. No one will take him away from you."

I'm pretty sure Lana isn't in the loop about how Cole or even the elders plan to take Kai away from his relatives once everything settles. She only thinks that his relatives are in court for custody of him.

"P-Promise?"

"I promise."

"Please, pinky, swear me. I know it's childish, but I can't believe you until you do."

Lana stares at my pinky.

"I can't live knowing I failed Kai. Losing...again."

Lana twisted her pinky around mine, "No matter what. I'll never let anyone take Kai away from you. I promise."

With that, Kai is untouchable in the werewolf community.

When I hugged Lana, my eyes met with Cole. I couldn't control it, the smile that says - I won.

Lana may not be my friend, but knowing how I used to be a victim too; changed her behavior towards me. That's what I didn't want.

I wanted everyone to treat me the same way, not something that may break any second.

After Lana, I went back to the break room. When I opened the door, everyone had their faces toward me.

"What?" I question.

Immediately, Brenda hugs me.

I pat her back, "I'm fine."

"This hug isn't for you! It's for me!" She hugs me tighter.

I know what Brenda is trying to do. She is trying her best not to change her attitude towards me despite knowing the full truth.

"Don't look at me like that," I said. "If you all look at me like that way, it'll only make things harder." I bit my lower lips, "So, please."

It didn't take them long to understand my situation. Even if they are my best friends, it's not an easy topic to talk about. But, they did ask for time; for acceptance.

I fill myself in their shoes.

Having a friend who hid the fact that she got raped for years does hit you hard.

I can slightly understand how they feel.

Sad - they think their friend doesn't trust them enough to tell them.

It's not about trust.

It's about courage.

And I didn't have the courage to talk about it.

Defeat - for their inability to do anything about it.

Anger - towards the others and themselves.

Even if we rewind ten years, they still couldn't do anything.

If the adults can't find justice, what chance does a child have?

In the end, we all hugged and cried because that's all we could do. The case was closed a long time ago, and there's no rewinding time.

The only thing we can hope for would be some good out of the bad. Somehow turn this disgusting past into a win.

When recess was over, we were called back into court.

"Mom? Dad?"

Everyone slowly leaves the room.

They know we need privacy.

"Kai?"

Kai stops walking and looks at me.

"Can you stay too?"

He nods.

"We'll be outside," Brenda says.

I smile, "I'll tell you all about it after."

Brenda pouts and punches me lightly, "You better."

When the door closed, I inhaled a sharp breath. "Remember when we talked about therapy for Kai?" We've considered therapy for Kai after the whole fiasco is over. All because he's young, it doesn't mean he won't remember all the darkness he went through.

"Yes?" Mom replies.

"I was wondering if I can get some too...again."

In the past, after the incident, I've received therapy. But, at the time, I wasn't ready. Mostly silence would fill up the room. One therapist after another, and soon, I stop altogether.

Mom smiles, "Of course."

My eyes move over, "Dad?"

Dad smiles, "Anything for my favorite girl."

They came to me for a hug. We all look at Kai. Mom tilted her head, and immediately, he rushed towards us.

"Cool! We can all do therapy together!" I don't think he fully understands the concept of therapy. He's still young, so I'll let it slide.

After the lovin party, it was time for war again.

The atmosphere of the courtroom was much denser than when we left it.

"Before we start, Julia Elias, we must say, it takes courage to do what you have done. And we sincerely apologize for the unjust you had felt."

I wonder if they would still apologize if the public weren't in an outburst. During the thirty minutes recess, the media went out of control. In a matter of minutes, the world was flipped upside down because of the dirty secret of a small town.

But, realistically, the majority of the general public doesn't really care about me. They may pity me, but they don't actually care. This is a chance for them to target the government - a system they feel opposed by. This is a chance for them to play the hero - no matter how insignificant it may be.

Everyone wants to stand for "what's right."

But, only if the mass stands with them.

It's a difficult pill to swallow. How they were targeting me a few weeks ago, and now, they stand by me - to what they suddenly feel as justice.

I couldn't do anything except maintain a calm face.

Because, at the end of the day, I would've acted the same way.

"We have re-discussed the situation, and the court agrees with you. Kai Schmidt does, indeed, need a warm, loving family. And I don't see any family better fit than the brave ones in front of us."

What warm, loving words.

"The court hereby announces full custody of Kai Schmidt to the Elias family."

Everyone burst into cheers.

Hugs were given, and tears were wiped from red faces.

The judge allows us to bask in the happiness momentarily before he pounds his gallop.

"However, we will be closely monitoring you all."

In other words, one fuck up, and we will take him without your approval.

That last sentence didn't reach the majority of the ears, but it somehow engraves itself into my mind.

How justice isn't on our side.

We're forced to take it.

I'm certain, after this, the judge has a few unpleasant meetings to attend.

When Kai jumps onto me, I allow the thought to float in the back of my mind. I allow myself to rejoice at the moment, allow the victory to sink into my soul.

And when my traveling eyes met with unhappy Dennis Jones, a smirk-like feature made its way across my face.

Small wins make a total victory.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 3.6K 14
After being rejected by her mate, Jennifer spent years devoted to her new pack and Alpha, hoping he would choose her as his mate and Luna. But then h...
Luna By sidnick22

Fanfiction

8.6K 395 45
She's the head of the pack. He is not. She is the one that said she never wanted a mate. He's always wanted a mate and pups of his own. How could two...
1M 20.2K 31
"I, Cal River, Alpha of the Climax Night pack reject you, Raven Woods, as my pack's Luna and as my mate." ***** Raven Woods was born a rogue. She wou...
291 76 32
A young wolf cant understand why her powers are out of wack she's a monster in her own body it's not under her control not until a whole chain of eve...