XII. Hermit

Julia's POV:

They say elementary school boys tease their crush because they don't know how to express their emotions.

They don't know what it means to like someone.

But, what about teenage boys?

Would teenage boys know to convey their emotions adequately?

Some may say yes.

Others no.

I say: Hell no.

Like Brenda says: Wake me up when I'm in college.

Pause.

Wake me up when I'm near my thirties.

I laid my body against the wooden floor and stared at the gym ceiling.

"Breathe in."

Half of the class breathe in.

"Now, breathe out."

I exhale.

Mr.Huber thought it was a good idea to take the class into the gymnasium to do breathing exercises to release some tension.

November.

The month we start college applications.

I'm not too stressed about it. The worst that can happen is that I wash dishes my whole life. I'll have prunes hands and live with my parents. Then, when they croak, I'll take over their house and get life insurance.

Some say - my parents - my lack of motivation is extremely concerning.

"Hey," Eric whispered.

My eyes were still set on the ceiling, "What?"

"You know Nisha?"

"What about her?"

"I'm thinking about asking her out. What do you think?"

"I think it's none of my business."

"Hey!" Brian whispered from my other side. Brenda left to go to the nurse's office earlier because of her monthly friend. "I thought we agreed. I get to go out with her first."

Something happened at the lake house party.

"No. I told you to go for it. I didn't say I won't go for it."

I cannot believe they're fighting over a girl who may find her soulmate at any moment.

"Nisha is definitely into me."

Then again, they're probably not serious.

"Are you blind? Do you not see how she laughs at my jokes?"

I need to find more female friends.

"She was laughing because you had something stuck between your teeth."

Then again, having more friends means you have to socialize more. I'm not big on socialization.

"Hey," Mr.Huber said. He shushes us.

I exhale softly before I crawl up towards the empty mat above me.

"Hi." I turn to my left to see Dylan. Of all people to move up to.

I smile, "Is this taken?"

He shakes his head, "Nope."

I rest my hands above my stomach and stare at the ceiling again. I follow the mediation voice. When he told me to inhale. I did. When he tells me to exhale. I did.