The Villainess Just Wants to...

By chiloren

Dylan de Beaumon, the adopted daughter of a Duke, recalls the memories of her past-life after hitting her hea... More

𝐏đĢ𝐨đĨ𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞đĢ 𝟏
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞đĢ 𝟐
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞đĢ 𝟑
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞đĢ 𝟒
Chapter 5 ~ One Pain With Another
Chapter 6 ~ Home on the Hill
Chapter 7 ~ The Male Lead's Resentment
Chapter 8 ~ Enough Love For a Lifetime
Chapter 9 ~ Flowers and Clear Skies
Chapter 10 ~ Welcome to Faerchester
Chapter 11 ~ Vulgar Blood
Chapter 12 ~ The Nature of Their Hearts
Chapter 13 ~ Friends or Foes?
Chapter 14 ~ Tea and Tears
Chapter 15 ~ I Won't Fall For You
Chapter 16 ~ Not Yours
Chapter 17 ~ Manipulation
Chapter 18 ~ Twisted
Chapter 19 ~ Masks
Chapter 20 ~ Rain and Intention
Chapter 21 ~ Tea Parties and Gardenias
Chapter 22 ~ Burns and Bruises
Chapter 23 ~ Kiss Me
Chapter 24 ~ Don't Love Him
Chapter 25 ~ Investments
Chapter 26 ~ Lips
Chapter 27 ~ Mom?
Chapter 28 ~ Caspian's Dreams
Chapter 29 ~ Blood Ties
Chapter 30 ~ White Roses
Chapter 31 ~ The Truth and Gin
Chapter 32 ~ Love Triangle
Chapter 33 ~ The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 34 ~ The Storm
Chapter 35 ~ The Gamemaster's Proxy
Chapter 36 ~ Before the Ball
Chapter 37 ~ The Night of the Ball
Chapter 38 ~ The Emperor's Seal
Chapter 39 ~ Sabotage
Chapter 40 ~ Cadence's Chess
Chapter 41 ~ You and I
Chapter 42 ~ Scream
Chapter 43 ~ Each Other
Chapter 45 ~ The Next Empress
Chapter 46 ~ The Court of Nobility: Part 1
Chapter 47 ~ The Court of Nobility: Part 2
Chapter 48 ~ The Court of Nobility: Part 3
Chapter 49 ~ The Final Verdict
Chapter 50 ~ Forgiveness and Hatred
Chapter 51 ~ Clouded Skies and Memories
Chapter 52 ~ Return to Faerchester
Chapter 53 ~ Run Away With Me
Chapter 54 ~ Look At Me
Chapter 55 ~ Pawns
Chapter 56 ~ I Love You
Chapter 57 ~ Dreams
Chapter 58 ~ The Assassins Guild
Chapter 59 ~ Complete Control
Chapter 60 ~ What It Means to Love Someone
Chapter 61 ~ The Red District
Chapter 62 ~ A Promising Deal
Chapter 63 ~ Destruction
Chapter 64 ~ Usefulness
Chapter 65 ~ Midnight
Chapter 66 ~ I'm Sorry
Chapter 67 ~ Pawn
Chapter 68 ~ Domicile
Chapter 69 ~ The Glimmer of a New Beginning

Chapter 44 ~ I Missed You

13.8K 646 66
By chiloren

Soon the carriage they had taken from the Duke's estate pulled into the marketplace. Together they walked along the street looking into the shop windows. They had strolled perhaps two blocks, chattering about the latest trends, when Grisa spotted a bracelet she liked. 

She paused and exclaimed: "Oh, isn't that just the prettiest little bracelet you've ever seen? Look at it, Dylan." She clutched Dylan violently by the arm. "Look! We have to get matching ones!" 

Dylan stood at the window with a greatly disturbed look on her face. Matching bracelets? She glanced over at Grisa's expression—eyes shining bright, her smile lighting up her face. Dylan didn't know why she wanted them, but decided to go with it anyways. Who could ever say no to her?

"Sure," she sighed.

Lucas watched them curiously, listening to their words with a half smile. "Let's go in," he said, opening the door for them to enter.

Grisa grabbed her friend's hand excitedly, pulling her into the store. She never had a best friend before, let alone been one. Dylan was now her very closest friend, and she wanted to do so much with her. 

"Welcome, welcome," the shop owner said cheerfully. "How may I serve you this fine day?"

"The bracelets," she said, gesturing toward the window. "May we see them?"

He reached behind the counter and pulled out a large, flat box. Inside the box, lying elegantly on the black felt background, were the bracelets they had seen in the display case. 

"I can assure you"—The shop owner adjusted one of the many bracelets with gloved hands—"that these are very popular right now."

"Dyl, which one do you want?" asked Grisa.

"You can pick the prettiest one for me." 

While Grisa and Lucas picked out the bracelets, Dylan decided to look around the shop with Cadence to pass time. She scanned the cases of jewelry with a disinterested expression. 

Dylan never cared for expensive jewelry, and the few pieces she owned were in a safe-deposit box that remained unopened until important occasions. She was someone who couldn't stand wearing expensive jewelry. She didn't just dislike it—she abhorred it.

Dylan's mother didn't have any money. And so she grew up, with little to eat or wear, spending her days caring for herself when her mother was out working. It didn't feel right wearing something so expensive, when people were suffering to make ends meet. 

But then something caught her eye—a unique set of earrings. The shape of the earrings was odd, and the emerald was cut to perfection. 

When she reached out to touch it, the sleeve of Cadence's jacket fell forward loosely over her hand. She let out a soft giggle as Cadence approached her side, and folded up the sleeves for her. 

"I feel like a child," she told him. "I could've done that myself."

He shook his head side to side. 

.

.

"Mom," said Dylan, pouting. "Why can't we just cut the sleeves shorter?"

The beautiful woman smiled warmly at the child. "We'll need to keep them long in case you grow," she told her, folding the sleeves on Dylan's dress. Her voice was sweet and melodious like a soft lullaby. 

When she was done fixing her sleeves; the little girl twirled around twice, giggling, and almost falling. 

"Let's do your hair, sweet girl." She ruffled her daughter's hair, and gave her an affectionate hug

Dylan squealed, "You're messing up my hair! I wanted to wear it down."

She gently ran her hand through her child's hair. "Okay," she told her, "you should do whatever you want."

"Whatever I want?" the child echoed, tilting her head.

"It's your life—you can do anything you want and live anywhere you choose. Live every minute to the fullest, okay? Don't let anybody else tell you how to live."

She looked up, met her mother's eyes, and smiled. "Okay," said Dylan. "I'll do that because mother said to."

"My sweet girl," she smiled, "you're going to do amazing things."

"Oh, wait!" The child rushed off, grabbed something, and returned with it hidden behind her back. 

"What's this?"

Dylan beckoned her mother downward with her little hand, revealing the flower she was holding behind her back. 

Filumena sank to her knees. "Did you pick this?"

Dylan tucked the flower behind her ear, and beamed at her mother with a loving smile. "Yup!" she exclaimed. "I thought it was pretty, just like mother!" 

Filumena laughed, touching the flower behind her ear. "Thank you."

.

.

The weight of Cadence's hand on her shoulder snapped Dylan back to reality.

"Sorry." She looked slightly embarrassed as he removed his hand. "I was just remembering something."

"Dylan!" Grisa called out. "Come here!"

Dylan made her way across the store to stand next to her. Grisa gently took Dylan's hand and slipped the glistening silver bracelet over her wrist. 

"Gosh! So beautiful!" exclaimed Grisa, admiring it with delight. "I have the same one, see?"

"You have a good eye," she replied, smiling slightly. "Let's get them."

The shop owner rang up their purchases.

"Who made those emerald earrings?" Dylan pointed across the room. "I'd like to know the name of the jeweller, if that's alright."

"Oh, right, I forgot about those!" he said. "A new designer recently came in and sold them to me."

"A new one?"

"Yes, that's right!" the shop owner told her. "She's not very popular, though. It seemed like the lady was just trying to make a few extra coins."

"Could you write it down for me?"

With that the man went and got a scrap piece of parchment to write on. Quickly he scribbled the name down and handed her the paper.

'With the proper support, her products could become popular in the capital. Should I invest in her work?'

"Thank you for your time," Grisa said to the shop owner before they left.

***

The marketplace streets were filled with music. They hurried across the main street through the crowds until they came across the source—a quartet of musicians playing their instruments. Some people in the crowd were eating, while others were dancing or watching. 

"May I have this dance?" Lucas asked Grisa, bowing politely. 

She laughed, curtsied clumsily, and said: "Why of course, Mr. Lucas."

Dylan watched them melt away into the crowd of dancers. Absorbed in the moment, she hadn't noticed the hand that encircled her wrist. She turned round sharply. 

"Do you want me to die of fright?" she blurted out, staring at the man who had grabbed her. 

Cadence immediately grabbed hold of the man's wrist, pulling him away from Dylan. With a menacing glare, he twisted it, intending to break it.

"Wait!" said Dylan. "It's okay, I know him."

He released the man's wrist, stepping in front of Dylan as if to shield her. 

"Ouch," the man said, rubbing his wrist. "Why is an Imperial knight following you around?"

"Lord Laikin, why are you here?"

He flashed a handsome smile at her. "I missed you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 239 33
(Season 1 completed) Dying at the age of 16 might seem harsh to others but that wasn't the case for her. Rather she was happy that it was the end of...
Reborn As The Wretch By Grazy

Historical Fiction

32.1K 1.1K 47
Camille is a student at Venezia Academy who loves to read books, particularly novels. She is, nevertheless, a target of the school bullies. She fell...
8M 459K 173
Rei, a former samurai lieutenant is reincarnated into the body of an 8 year old, who happens to be the main villainess in a romance novel for foreign...
21.8K 838 29
Olivia was your average 18 year old girl. Keyword, đ™Ŧ𝙖𝙨, until she drowned in a lake and woke up in a crappy novel her friend recommended to her. ...