Ink Lines

Da ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... Altro

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 June: Murder
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli

308 26 12
Da ShenWeiLightning

Death and summer heat is a cruel combination.

Humidity rose and blanketed the entire region, the pretty pinks and violets of the lotus flowers, amid the vivid green of the land around the lakes seemed garish next to the scene of a slaughter.

The only thing worse, were the flies.

Disciples, some wounded, some only returning home now were gathered on the outskirts of Yunmeng. Police had cornered off the area and Sect members who could answer questions were taken somewhere quiet away from the blood.

In the center of the courtyard, Lan Zhan stood alone. At his feet was the body of Wen Zhuliu.

One of the most feared and loathed members of the Wen Clan was dead. The Core Melting Hand was sprawled where he fell, a trail of blood staining the corner of his mouth, right in the middle of the courtyard.

There was no trace of Wei Ying and that had terror living in chest. They had been here for two hours and had found nothing. Well, they had found too much to bear really, but nothing that could tell him where Wei Ying was.

The attack happened mid-morning and wasn't as successful in some ways compared to Gusu. The Jiangs had protected their buildings using Wei Ying's flame retardant talismans, that used the fire's energy to fuel itself in a brilliant feedback loop. The protective barriers had remained mostly intact and an alarm system had sounded, evacuating the compound quickly, through underground tunnels, built centuries ago and carefully maintained.

Of course even a small number of highly trained killers are a problem, but there were Wen corpses here too. The Jiangs had not gone easily. 

The horror of it was still surreal, surrounding him without fully penetrating the fog of panic.

He had checked every building, called Wei Ying's name in the forest until his voice failed. He had personally checked every vehicle and called Wei Ying's phone at intervals until he realized it was lying on the carpet of the main home, right near the coffee table.

He had no clues where to expand the search and already called every hospital and clinic in Yunmeng. Interviewed as many of the surviving Jiang disciples that could talk to him. Nothing. 

It had always been a standing invitation to come here, to see the ancient, beautifully carved lotus motifs and stunning architecture. To see all the sights that Wei Ying was so proud of and a world that seemed like Gusu, untouched by time.

It was hard to believe that only a short drive away was the thriving massive city of Yunmeng, home to Furong, the technology giant owned by Jiang Fengmian. The company that bound cultivation with technology, giving the world so many of the inventions everyone relied on now.

From signal flare phone apps to fierce corpse detectors, talisman libraries and cookware. Furong was a household name and all three of the Jiang children worked in the business, at least part time. Jiang Cheng was the official sect heir and Wei Ying was Head Disciple, helping to run the Sect itself.

Jiang Yanli owned a bakery in Yunmeng and very few people knew that it had been Lan Zhan who had invested in her business years ago. Funded by his inheritance, money that he had no intention of ever using personally, it felt good to be able help someone so giving.

Was she at her bakery? He had to check. Where was Jin Ling?

Turning in a half circle, Lan Zhan made himself look at the blood soaked ground. At the trails of blood that led to the fifteen killed and thirty three wounded. Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyan had been found holding hands death claiming them where they fell, fearless and very nearly undefeated.

Jiang Fengmian had been shot several times and Yu Ziyan had been stabbed through the back.

Two of the fiercest cultivators of the modern jianghu. Individuals who had forced change and championed a new era, standing as a heroes to a great many. People who had not hesitated to help Gusu when they had been on their knees. Helped them not only to rebuild what was lost, but to protect themselves in the years since and issued loans to stabilize the clan's tattered fiances after losing nearly everything.

Wei Ying had remained behind in Yunmeng as the Head Disciple, but Jiang Fengmian had proudly told Shufu that his most despised former student, was the one who had invented the very talismans that were designed to trigger shields and fire defenses. 

Turning around Lan Zhan worried his lower lip, his grip on Bichen tightening.

The main building behind was devoted to the Sect and that was where the majority of the fighting had occurred. Bullets marred the stone and wood structures. Swords were buried in the chests of the known Wen thugs that died and there was a martial arts guandao slung on the floor inside.

The building further back on the water was the Jiang family home and there was little left of the building. Fire had taken half of its roof and the firefighters had barred access just yet.

The fire had been set from inside and burned too quickly for the talismans to put it out.

There were several dead littering the entrance way and inside the living room area. But the courtyard was the epicenter of the violence and the chosen execution ground.

With a heavy heart he watched the bodies of Jiang Fengmian and Lady Yu Ziyan take their next journey away from their home, to the hospital for formal identification.

Just imagining the devastation on the faces of the Jiang siblings, broke his heart.

"A-Zhan!"

At the call, Lan Zhan hurried across the stonework towards his brother, who was grimly watching the ambulance taking the Jiang Sect leaders away. When he hurried closer, in the classic run that was only a rapid walk that all Gusu Sect disciples discover, Lan Xichen gazed at him worriedly, "We've found the CCTV footage."

As one of the Four Great Sect leaders, Nie Mingjue and Lan Xichen had passes decided with Jiang Fengmian years ago, allowing them to come to each other's aid and in the course of an investigation, they would legally stand for the Sect disciples. It was built on agreements and jianghu laws centuries old.

The Tribunal as they it was referred to commonly, was both a legal institution and a governing body. The replacement to the Chief Cultivator position really, by sharing the burden among the Four Great. Hardly fair as it was limited to the biggest, wealthiest groups, but not something that hadn't been argued for over decades.

Nie Mingjue had one of the Jiang disciples, red eyed and terrified sitting at a bank of computer screens. The Nie Clan had arrived in force, with Nie Zonghui behind his Sect Leader armed with a machine gun, with a saber across his back.

Nie Huaisang was missing.

From what Lan Zhan knew, Nie Huaisang had been disowned by his father, the former Sect Leader for reasons not well understood. Rather than simply fall to pieces as most expected, the younger son had won a scholarship, graduated university and was living in Yunmeng after going to work at Furong. 

All anyone could tell them was that he had come with Jiang Fengmian to Lotus Pier that morning.

Nie Mingjue was trying to reconcile with his brother,  but as he was living nine hours away by car , it was slow going.

"The camera system is new." Nie Mingjue said gruffly. "Huaisang was testing his new system."

"The back-up camera system is the new one." Xichen hurried to explain, "It uses tokens and can compile all the footage taken over hours of one person. Most of the Seniors were wearing the test tokens, including Wei Wuxian and Huaisang."

Hope surged in his chest. "What have you seen?"

"I'm loading it now." The young disciple said quickly, her fingers rapidly typing. "This was this morning."

On screen they saw the usual training scenes and Wei Ying moving through the courtyard. Lan Zhan sucked in a breath at the sight of him. He had seen him online, in press releases about Furong and watched several tech presentations online, but there was something about seeing him like this, that just made this worse. He was wearing training clothes and was holding Suibian, gesturing to a younger disciple with a smile.

The camera abruptly cut to Wei Ying, time stamped an hour later rushing along the same path with Nie Huaisang. He was wearing all black, his purple Jiang coat flapping as he ran, shouting orders. 

People were rushing in all directions, but Wei Ying was perfectly calm. Eyes sharp and his posture was pure authority, with Suibian now strapped to his back. He threw a talisman into the air and glared at the sky when the shields blazed into life.

"That's Huaisang!" Nie Zonghuai said in alarm. "He couldn't have come with Sect Leader Jiang. This was before he returned home." 

"He must have come with Wei Wuxian." Lan Xichen said, his eyes wide.

They watched Nie Huaisang in a t-shirt and jeans working a tablet in one hand and shouting to other disciples, just behind Wei Ying. He seemed to be calling out orders as well and turned sharply into another building, when Wei Ying ran into the main family home.

"Where did he go?" Nie Mingjue demanded.

"The tunnels." The disciple said softly, "Senior brother Nie organized the tunnels. He...he planned it with Senior Wei. That if we were attacked, we would move the most vulnerable out first."

Learning from the mistakes and horror of Gusu.

On screen time stamped fifteen minutes later, Nie Huaisang was pulled from the building by Wen thugs. They were twice his size and as they watched a fight broke out. "He...He locked the tunnel access route." The disciple said tearfully. "The Wens couldn't follow when they took the Juniors to safety."

"Nie courage." Nie Zonghuai said in a tone that seemed to combine fear, grief and pride.

"Oh no." Xichen gasped as on the screen, still fighting the other two Huaisang temporarily managed to get free. He took down three assailants, but another one pulled out a gun and shot Huaisang from behind.

Nie Mingjue swore, his eyes grief stricken. "A-Sang,"

Wei Ying appeared and the second one holding Nie Huaisang went sprawling as a talisman hit him dead center. The other raised his gun and Wei Ying threw a knife, hitting him in the throat.

"That was some hit!" Nie Zonghuai said in admiration.

"Wei Wuxian is military trained." Lan Xichen said softly. "He's only recently returned to work for his Uncle and the Jiang Sect. He's still a Reservist."

Which was the main reason Lan Zhan hadn't seen him for a long time. With the cold viciousness of a well-trained fighter, Wei Ying broke bones and twisted smoothly to avoid blows.Within minutes he had dispatched five thugs and had turned towards Nie Huaisang when another three ran out from behind him.

On screen, Nie Huaisang though managed to grab a fallen gun and took aim, taking out one of the incoming thugs. 

Everyone stared at the screen, not expecting that. Nie Huaisang was not the type to use firearms and barely qualified as a cultivator. Or so rumor said.

More of the Wen people  rushed inside the courtyard and Wei Ying ran forward, hauling Nie Huaisang up. He dragged him behind a post, just as another Wen opened fire. Lip curled in a snarl, Wei Ying snatched a gun from the ground and returned fire, pulling Nie Huaisang with him.

Suddenly the Wen corpses in the courtyard made sense. It was Wei Ying who killed all eight of the clustered group now dead on the ground and Nie Huaisang who shot the ninth.

The time moved on, showing the back of the building. Lady Yu Ziyan exploded through the doorway, gun fire and screams around them. She was bloodied and holding a rifle in one hand, Zidian flashing purple on her wrist. Behind her was Wei Ying, covering her flank as she moved,  a stolen gun in his hand, Suibian strapped to his back. 

Wei Ying did not look good. Blood trailed down his face and he had a bleeding wound to his side. But his hands were steady and his eyes were intent as they hurried along a short path near the water.

"Where is Huaisang?" Nie Zonghuai demanded.

Using Zidian, Lady Yu took out three Wen thugs and Wei Ying moved closer to cover her back. No one was expecting her to grab his throat and pull him in. No one expected her to wrap Zidian around him and shout something at him that had those eyes going wide.

"That's her Head Disciple." Nie Mingjue said tersely.

Yu Ziyan swapped Zidian for his gun, taking it in her right hand. Whatever she said to him had Wei Ying nod silent and grieving, his eyes shocked. The whip was lashed sparking around his waist, which had to hurt and Lady Yu said something else before turning away, marching back to the main house. To her death.

Wei Ying took one last look at her, took off his ripped Jiang coat and threw himself into the water. His sword on his back, but he made barely any sound as he dove in.

"What the..." Nie Zonghuai said in shock.

"She sent him for Jiang Cheng or Jiang Yanli." Nie Mingjue said softly. "That's why. To protect her children, who were on their way here."

"I didn't see Huaisang." Xichen said worriedly. "He must be here."

Lan Zhan tuned then out for a moment.

Yu Ziyan and gone back inside to defend her home, because she knew that her children could arrive unsuspecting at any moment. Had she fought Wen Zhuliu the feared Enforcer of the Wen Clan, thinking of her grandson? There was no doubt that it was poison that killed him. There was barely a mark on the man, from what he could see only a single bloodied swipe on his upper bicep. His face twisted in agony and the Yunmeng region was home to several lethal plants and snakes. The Jiang Sect famous for the antidotes.

She bought her children time, but Wei Ying hasn't returned and there has been no contact with either Jiang sibling. They met trouble and Wei Ying followed or Wei Ying met trouble with them.

He knew Wei Ying and knew how protective he was. The only reason he left Yu Ziyan's side was to find his siblings, exactly as Xichen had done all those years ago.

Leaving the room silently, Lan Zhan traces his way back out of the courtyard to the edge of the river way where Wei Ying disappeared. The dropped coat was still there. Pulling out his phone, he calls the Caiyi SCD office first.

Luo Qingyang answers on the first ring,  "Have you found Yanli and Wei Wuxian?" His junior investigator demands immediately from the office, her longstanding friendship with both Jin Zixuan and Wei Ying as Mianmian, lending her words resonating worry. 

"Hn."

Having worked for him for over a year, recommended by Wei Ying, a fact that gave her a fair chance, but irritated Lan Zhan for the simple reason that Wei Ying often flirted with her when they were junior disciples and still called her 'one-of-a-kind' now. Still, she was an excellent cop and loyal, truly believing as he did, that what they did made a difference in the world.

Lan Zhan admired her strong sense of logic and justice, her dedication and appreciated her courage. She had after all left the Jin Sect when Jin Zixun crossed one too many lines and despite her humiliation found the strength to boldly walk forward. Over the year, he had found her fearless in a fight and respectful of his need for privacy.

"How bad is it Chief?" She asked softly, the loud brash fear  restrained for a moment.

"Nie Huaisang has been shot." Lan Zhan says calmly, "The Nie Clan is widening the search. Jiang Fengmian is dead. Yu Ziyan killed Wen Zhuliu before succumbing to her wounds." 

"But they haven't found the Jiang heirs or Huaisang?" Luo Qingyang asks worriedly. "What about Yunmeng SCD?"

"Overwhelmed. No. Not yet." Lan Zhan replies, answering both questions. "Brother said the Jiang siblings were returning home. Jiang Cheng was in Caiyi. Can you trace his car?"

"Just a moment, Chief." She said, "I've opened his details...one car is registered to his name. A silver GAC Trumpchi GS4. "

Five minutes pass in terse silence as Lan Zhan waits and tries very hard to keep his patience and the rising panic at bay. Eventually Luo Qingyang returns to the line. "Jiang Cheng took a flight from Caiyi. He collected his car at eleven am and its an hour drive across the city to Lotus Pier from the airport."

"So he was on the road when the attack happened." Lan Zhan said in realization. "Is Jin Zixuan in Lanling?"

"Yes, I called him. That's the first thing I did when I heard Chief. He was in Yanling with Jin Ling, but Jiang Yanli already left. Jin Ling is with Lady Jin now. Jin Zixuan is flying to Yunmeng. He'll be there in about half an hour." Luo Qingyang said worriedly.

"Why is he there?" Lan Zhan asks curious.

"Jiang Yanli from what Zixuan said, came back to Yunmeng early for this celebration. He stayed behind for another day, because of some crisis in the family." Luo Qingyang replied. "He's holding it together Chief, but Jiang Yanli is the light of his life..." 

"We will find her. Until we locate her body, we cannot assume she is dead." Lan Zhan said firmly. Or Wei Ying. He couldn't be dead and he wouldn't believe it until...

"You think Jiang Cheng went into Yunmeng?" Luo Qingyang asks disrupting his spiraling thoughts.

"WeI Ying was sent by Lady Yu to find his siblings." Lan Zhan said firmly. "Can you access the cameras in Yunmeng? Nie Mingjue has given us permission to investigate what happened to Nie Huaisang."

"That gives us jurisdiction too. Of course. I know the bakery..." She said tersely and the sound of typing filtered over the line. "...That's...not good."

"What?"

"Chief...The Wens went to the bakery. The traffic CCTV camera have three vehicles pulling up at the bakery at eleven am."

"Get the local police there Luo Qingyang." Lan Zhan ordered. "Call me back as soon as you hear from them. If they have Jiang Yanli,"

"I'm onto it Chief." She said and cut the line.

As soon as the call disconnected, Lan Zhan hits the web. There is one person who might just know what happened or who could find out. Its a risk, but right now Wei Ying needed him to take some risks.

There is only one archery center in Yiling. Half a minute later he calls the main phone number and asks as politely as the panic in chest allows, for Wen Ning. He claims that its important and to do with his sister Wen Qing. This satisfies the woman on the other end of the line and within minutes,  he speaking with Wen Ning himself.

"Hello? Jie-jie?" A timid soft voice asked.

"We Ning?" Lan Zhan asked calmly, "Its Lan Zhan....Wei Wuxian's friend."

"Master Lan?" Wen Ning sounded surprised, "I don't understand...where's Jie-jie?"

"Wei Wuxian saved your life four years ago didn't he?" Lan Zhan queried, trying to keep his tone neutral. "He got you the job at the anchery center?"

"Yes. Master Wei is my benefactor..." Wen Ning said sounding lost and a hurt, as if Lan Zhan was accusing him of betraying Wei Ying. "Master Lan,"

"Wei Wuxian is in trouble."

There was a pause and then Wen Ning asked, "What kind of trouble? Is he hurt?"

"Wen Chao attacked Lotus Pier."

Wen Ning audibly sucked in a breath so Lan Zhan continued, "Wen Zhuliu is dead."

"He...dead?" Wen Ning repeated sounded shocked and a little hopeful.

"Yes. Wei Wuxian has been taken somewhere by Wen Chao. Took Jiang Cheng as well." Lan Zhan said hurriedly, "Can you tell me anything? Anywhere he might have taken them?"

There was a longer pause and then Wen Ning said, "Thank you for telling me Master Lan."

"Wen Ning,"

" I have to go now Master Lan." Wen Ning said apologetically and the line went dead. 

A handful of seconds later, his phone rang again. It was Luo Qingyang and she sounded angry, "I've traced the cameras Chief and spoken with the local police. According to the assistant at the bakery, Jiang Yanli came into the bakery to collect an order, she had personally placed. She was collecting it before she went on to Lotus Pier."

There were always hints that the marriage between Jiang Fengmian and Yu Ziyan was rocky. Small mentions and behavior that Lan Zhan now knew suggested a difficult home life. So the trip to the bakery was likely a peace offering or distraction tactic. Not bringing her son was also a sign that she didn't think this was going to go well on the first day of the visit. Planning for her husband and child to come later on when things were calmer or smoother?

"The assistant said that she was only there a few minutes when three men arrived. One had a semi-concealed gun and when they spoke to Jiang Yanli, she looked nervous. Afraid. She went with them Chief and the assistant who had been hidden in the back room called the police."

Threatened her brothers. Her son was sae in Lanling, so it had to be that. There was little Jiang Yanli wouldn't do for her siblings.

"Can you track the cars?" Lan Zhan demanded.

"Tracking it now. Looks like they intentionally missed the turning for Lotus Pier and headed north." Luo Qingyang said sounding confused. 'Why north?"

"Find where they went Luo Qingyang. The Wens didn't expect resistance. They didn't expect Lady Yu to fight so well or Wei Ying to be so organized. Some escaped and others died. If Wen Chao's main intent was to send Wang Lingjiao with Wen Zhuliu, where was he?"

"Someone must have told him they were having a celebration. That the Jiangs were all going to be there." Luo Qingyang said sharply. "Was his target Jiang Cheng?"

"With Wen Ruohan dead, the eldest son Wen Xu has taken over the family business. The brothers do not agree." Lan Zhan said considering. "Revenge might be his motive and a message to his brother."

"Jiang Cheng foiled their plan to steal from Furong and publicly defeated the would-be attackers back in March." Luo Qingyang said over the line, still typing. "And he had a feud going with Wei Wuxian that goes back to Gusu."

"Wei Ying found counter measures for all of the Wen talismans." Lan Zhan said with a quiet note of pride.

"What triggered this Chief?" Luo Qingyang asked, "Revenge?"

"The Jiang Sect has aligned with the Jin through marriage and have recently reinforced their agreements with Gusu Lan and the Nie Clan." Lan Zhan said thinking.

"They also have public backing and are a major player in the tech world."

"The Wen Clan claimed in Apiril that the Jiangs stole one of their ancestor's designs for a taliman array and used it without permission." Lan Zhan added. "Lies. But Wei Ying's response was aggressive and ended in public humiliation at the Sec Conference."

"So, he'll want to take Jiang Cheng and Wei Wuxian specifically. If he couldn't do something cruel like murder their parents in front of them...he'll want to do something worse."

"Murder their sister in front of them." Lan Zhan said with dawning horror.

"Find that location Luo Qingyang. I'll assemble the Yunmeng SDC team." Lan Zhan said hurrying towards his car. After a second of hesitation before he started the engine, he called Xichen.

"A-Zhan? Where are you?" Brother asked, his soft voice strained with worry and grief.

"Check the river. One of the Jiang disciples said that the Wens used a tactic. Broke them into smaller groups. He said saw several Jiang disciples fall into the water. Wens too." Lan Zhan said, now putting the car into gear, "Nie Huaisang might have fallen in."

"The river...." Lan Xichen repeated, sounding even more strained now. "Where are you?"

"Jiang Yanli was kidnapped at her bakery. She's alive."

Xichen huffed an angry breath and said, "Be careful A-Zhan. Call me before you do anything."

"Mn." He replied, already planning. "The river leads into small pools."

"....I need to find him." Lan Xichen said, "Be careful didi."

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

816K 28.8K 41
I changed what happened at the temple .... so yes ... bad guy wins and Wei Ying looses .... everything. Wei Ying is thrown away not just by everyon...
34.9K 1.1K 18
What if lan wangji and wei wuxian left the cultivation world because everyone started to believe jin guangyao at the guanyin temple they were deceive...
22.2K 1.7K 22
After traveling the cultivation world with Song Lan and Xiao Xingchen, Wei Ying decide to travel alone. He want to go to other place that he haven't...
77.2K 3.3K 19
Lan Zhan decides to follow his love Wei Ying into Burial Mounds. The story follows their love life after Lan Zhan settles at Burial Mounds. It is ju...