Deprived

By Shifting2wolf

Pale, inhumanly fast, unparalleled reflexes and even better senses, Vampires were well known in the supernatu... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Business as usual
Chapter 2 - Wandering eyes
Chapter 3 - Meant to be
Chapter 4 - Crack
Chapter 5 - All is lost
Chapter 6 - A new reality
Chapter 7 - Worst nightmare
Chapter 8 - The search
Chapter 9 - Bleed it out
Chapter 10 - Queen Bee
Chapter 11 - Mine
Chapter 12 - A sign
Chapter 13 - Addiction
Chapter 14 - Release
Chapter 15 - Agony
Chapter 16 - Empty
Chapter 17 - Defiled
Chapter 18 - A Message
Chapter 19 - Vengeance
Chapter 20 - A Dryad's warning
Chapter 21 - Voices and Whispers
Chapter 22 - When one life ends...
Chapter 23 - ... a new one begins.
Chapter 24 - Awkward introductions
Chapter 25 - Recovery
Chapter 26 - True Family
Chapter 27 - Eternal Scars
Chapter 28 - Possible allies
Chapter 29 - An Improba's debt
Chapter 30 - The plan
Chapter 31 - Sanctuary
Chapter 32 - "It's not my fault..."
Chapter 33 - Monsters
Chapter 34 - Slow and steady
Chapter 36 - A new beginning
Chapter 37 - Sylvar
Chapter 38 - Bonding
Chapter 39 - Blood's Calling
Chapter 40 - Rules and Reminders
Chapter 41 - Understanding
Chapter 42 - Truce
Chapter 43 - Safety
Chapter 44 - Medicine
Chapter 45 - Okay
Chapter 46 - A step
Chapter 47 - Sugar and Spice
Chapter 48 - Memories
Chapter 49 - Knowledge
Chapter 50 - Contribution
Chapter 51 - Touch
Chapter 52 - Progress
Chapter 53 - Family

Chapter 35 - Progress

5.4K 492 54
By Shifting2wolf

"Yes. Yes, I will. Thank you for your time. I will let you know once we've decided." Xavier spoke on the phone before cutting the connection, finally letting out the deep sigh he had held in.

The job interviews were progressing slowly but surely. Under the guidance of Fabian and his security team, intensive background checks were made, down to checking friends of friends just to make sure none held ill connections.

And even if everything was exemplary, they were all still cautious to bring anyone new in. All they needed was one person to tip the scales, a single individual that lost control around the Deprived.

One slip of attention and everything they worked so hard for, could be ruined. But they had no other option but to hire new people. Serena was working meticulously with the Deprived, to try and assess their mental wellbeing, to help them heal.

But she could only do so much on her own. Even with all four of the Improba leeching away the pain and suffering from the Deprived, the supply far exceeded what they all could take in.

Which led to the point where Xavier and the security team were at now. To be forced to take the risk and allow another Improba among them.

A risk that could have dire consequences. Well, if the Improba survived the last check at the hands of the Lechens.

So far they had collected less than a handful of trustworthy Improba. Individuals that had proven themselves to be anything but the bloodthirsty and sadistic monstrosities that had created this many Deprived.

The issue lied in the fact that Xavier couldn't reveal his compound existed, nor that it contained a bunch of vulnerable deprived.

All he had done, was reach out to his contacts, let them know that he was in need of capable caretakers, nurses, both psychiatrists and psychologists.

Anyone that could help the Deprived in their never-ending struggle to retain and regain some of their former lives.

Xavier didn't need to explain to the team why he had kept the potential employees in the dark. If word got out that he was recruiting people for a Deprived compound, chances were that those with ill intent would try to force their way in.

So, Xavier instead was going to invite the individuals one by one at their former compound. To interview them there in the presence of Isabelle, the fabled Irshi, a type of Fairy that couldn't physically lie.

But she had a magical talent to detect any form of lies. And the capability to wipe someone's memory. If their future employee was found to be unfit for the position, Xavier was counting on Isabelle to wipe their memories clean of any trace that would endanger the Deprived.

Even if they were found trustworthy, the true test would be when those individuals were brought back here. To face the inspection of not one, but two Leshens.

Who had proven to viciously torment and murder anyone who had dared to harm the Deprived.

No pressure there...

He sighed once more, catching Fabian's attention across the room, who copied the gesture and stretched out.

"Three men and one woman who have no connections with anyone remotely shady. A psychiatrist who wanted to live a quieter life away from the city while still performing his job, a live-in nurse whom has spent many years taking care for weak and vulnerable patients and lastly, two family physicians." Fabian read off the paper, gaining another sigh from Xavier.

"Four people that we desperately need." Xavier agreed, rubbing tiredly over his face. "But also four people who could endanger all the Deprived here."

Fabian growled at that. "We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Like you said before, we need to take this slow, once step at a time. If at any time we don't feel comfortable around the potential recruit, we'll wipe their memory and bring them back home."

"It shouldn't have to be like this." Xavier hissed in annoyance, massaging his temples at the growing headache that threatened to split his head apart. "We shouldn't have to hide these poor victims in a deep, dark corner, as if they're someone's dirty secret that shouldn't see the light of day."

Silence filled the room, both men lost in thought. Eventually Fabian stepped away from his seat, groaning as his joints popped.

"Life is a strange and cruel thing, Xavier. You know that as well as anyone. Now we can lament and cry about the fact that things shouldn't be this way, but that'll get us nowhere." The Hellhound huffed, breath releasing cinders in the air before they doused.

"Right now, we need to decide on these Improba, how we're going to conduct the interview and the steps we need to take to avoid any casualties."

Xavier let that sink in for a moment before nodding, pushing up from his own seat. "For the better of the Deprived." He murmured, taking the files with him as he left in search of Isabella.

A few hours later, Xavier, Isabella and several of the guards were back at their former compound, welcoming their guests. The interviews went off without a hitch, all four Improba showing nothing but exemplary behavior.

Pressing his lips together, Xavier sighed before dropping all pretenses, coming clear with the four Improba in front of him.

Shock and disgust swarmed over all their faces, not a hint of desire or greed was seen. It made Xavier let out a sigh of relief while the interviewees all shivered in disgust.

"No wonder this place is so... remote." The female Improba Violet, murmured distractedly before giving a wry smile. "No offence but on the trip here, I was certain this was going to be a bogus interview and I'd end up being robbed."

The psychiatrist, whom had been introduced as Robert, let out a relieved chuckle. "I thought the same thing but was too afraid to state it out loud." The mood shifted quickly as everyone sighed before Robert glanced back at Xavier. "So, what now?"

He steepled his fingers together with a deep frown on his face. "You all know what it entails to encounter Deprived. Do you think yourselves capable of withstanding their allure?"

"I can assume everything spoken of here is confidential?" Robert asked before continuing when Xavier nodded. "One of my patients is a former Deprived. Recovered and now happily mated to her Choice Mate, as she calls it." He smiled, black hair spilling over his shoulder as he tilted his head. "I think I can control myself enough."

Violet seemed more worried, pursing her lipstick tinted lips. "I...I never encountered.... I wish I could say for certain but I'm confident that... I can let it know when it gets too much."

The two other Improba were a mated pair and family physicians. Evan and Louis both gave each other a thoughtful look, Louis grabbing his mate's hand as Evan confessed honestly, "I've been known to... lash out when thirsty. As long as I can feed on regular basis..."

Xavier nodded, understanding the reluctance to confess such a weakness, but appreciating it all the same. "We have blood available and accessible at all times. Though I would assume you'd...?" He didn't finish the question, just shot a glance between them.

Any mated vampire would be inexplicable attracted to the blood of their mate, would prefer to feed off of each other's lifeforce instead of chilled, bagged blood.

Xavier chuckled at the raised eyebrow and pointed look, understanding what Evan had intended. "Of course, if you were to work for us and needed to feed, both of you would be excused."

"As you can imagine, none of the Deprived should witness any of us feeding in whatever shape or form."

All of their faces grew grim, noses curling in disgust as Violet, Robert, Evan and Louis could only imagine what happened to the poor Deprived.

"I do have to mention," Xavier started slowly, eying all of them one by one to show his seriousness, "That the compound is being guarded by two Leshens."

Their reaction was predictable and instant. All four of them were in disbelief, understanding exactly what that meant.

"Two Leshens and they allow our kin near Deprived?" Louis choked, clutching tightly to his mate's hand.

A wry smile slipped on Xavier's expression while Fabian scoffed. "Tell that to the bastards who turned the Deprived." A snort escaped the hellhound before he sighed, "They're the best security one could find."

"Which is why we wanted to give a warning in advance." Xavier added, looking at the four Improba before him. "If they find you detrimental to the Deprived's wellbeing, I cannot safeguard your lives."

All four of them shared looks, a nervous jitter to the air before Robert was the first to sigh. "I guess we'll have to see for ourselves how we'll be judged. Seeing how there's so many risks taken simply to interview us, I can only imagine the state of your patients."

He tapped his manicured nails on his seat before pushing his black long hair out of his face. "They need us. Not just us as in our jobs, but our kind, our powers. If we could help them on the path to recovery, undo the torment that our kin have placed upon them..."

One by one they agreed and Xavier swallowed nervously as they teleported back to the compound.

Their presence was instantly noticed, two animalistic shrieks echoing through the air while the ground shook underneath the hoofbeats of the approaching Leshens.

Dirt sprayed over the group as the Leshens grinded to a halt, snorting and flanks heaving as they approached the four new Improba. Snorting heavily, leaning into the Improba's faces to inhale their scent.

For a tense few moments, each Improba underwent their own personal inspection, some longer than others. The Male Leshen even went as far as to shift to its humanoid form, clawed fingers grasping the Improba's in a firm and inescapable hold.

Violet shivered as the female Leshen placed her back on the floor after her own inspection, snorting and shaking her head before she cantered off into the woods.

The group waited until the Male Leshen disappeared after its mate before letting out a sigh of relief.

"The Deprived each have their own, fully functioning house given to them, along with a communal dining hall." Xavier pointed out, smiling gently at one of the Deprived still seated, plucking at their sandwich without really eating.

The warlock tensed, food forgotten as it dropped from his fingers before he lowered his gaze demurely. Anticipating punishment for wasting his food.

"Ah, Oliver, don't worry about that." Xavier soothed the shivering Deprived, watching his shoulders quiver and slowly relax as all five of the Improba started draining the fear and pain away. "If you prefer a soup or stew, I'm sure Clarissa will be more than happy to make you something."

The tension softened as Oliver relaxed before giving a hesitant, hopeful nod. And gave a slight, dimpled smile when Xavier added "Go on and ask her, I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear you talk to her."

They all watched as Oliver slowly scooted out from the table before heading to the kitchen, rubbing over his arms before hesitantly poking his head in with a clearing of his throat.

"Hey Dimples, how are you doing today?" Clarissa's voice drifted towards them before cutting off the soft-spoken reply from Oliver as the doors swung shut behind him.

Robert smiled softly, glancing at Xavier with a questioning look. "A new bond?" He asked, grinning as Xavier smiled.

"Hopefully, yes. It's fragile, still developing... but it's there..." Xavier sighed, shaking his head gratefully "It's more than any of us could've hoped for."

They all nodded, Evan and Louis cuddling closer as they undoubtedly imagined what it would be like to lose one another. A torment none of them wished for anyone.

Now all they could do was guide the Deprived to the best of their abilities, hope and pray. Pray that these poor, unfortunate souls would encounter someone that managed to fill the gaping hole that threatened to slowly consume them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.1K 4.5K 20
'You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye And I got that red lip classic thing that you like And when we go crashing down, we come back ever...
20.3K 1.7K 18
သာမန်လူသားမဟုတ်တဲ့ အရှင့်အပါးမှာ ခစားရင်း အရှင့်အကြောင်းတွေ လူတွေမသိအောင် ဖုံးပစ်ပေးခဲ့တယ်. . .
2.3M 84.3K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...
39.4K 1.6K 14
Isaac Sirius Black was the son of Marlene McKinnon and Sirius Black, all his life he had to live with people looking at him with disgust in their eye...