The Fighter

By journeysawait

When Quinn is dragged to a boxing match by her best friend she meets the mysterious Titus King. She is automa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Epilogue

Chapter 2

16.5K 401 81
By journeysawait

The next morning I was awoken by Kate, and it was early. It was a Saturday at 7 and I looked at her confused. Her hair was in a messy bun and she was wearing black leggings, a black sports bra, and some sneakers.

"Quinn, we are going to the gym!!" She said and I looked at her like she was crazy.

"It is 7 am on a Saturday," I said, groaning into my pillow.

"Dante is bringing me to learn how to box, you should come. It will be fun. You know a thing people do to enjoy life?" She said jokingly to me. I pushed her and I groaned.

"Fine, just give me a minute to get changed," I said and she smacked my butt as she left my room.

"You get five minutes!" She said, and I rolled my eyes.

I went into my bathroom and I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I then went into my closet and I put on black leggings and a black sweatshirt. I put on some white sneakers and a headband to keep the hair out of my face. I grabbed my headphones and a water bottle.

"You ready?" Dante asked us. He was in a long sleeve compression t-shirt and some shorts. Kate had thrown on a white sweatshirt, and she threw protein bars at Dante and me, which Dante caught and mine fell to the floor. We walked outside and it was freezing out and I felt my half-asleep body start to shiver.

We pulled up to a gym that seemed run down and I was surprised this was where Dante worked out. We walked inside and it was dead inside, which was no surprise seeing as it was a Saturday morning.

 In the middle of the gym, there was an older version of a ring that looked well used. On the right side of it which was next to the office, there were big punching bags of different weights and little ones to practice agility. On the left, there were two treadmills, a ton of weights, and some jump ropes hanging. There were also two doors which I assumed were locker rooms.

"I knew I would see you today," I heard Uncle Coop walkout from an office and Dante smiled at him.

"You can't keep me away, old man. This is my girlfriend Kate, and her friend Quinn," he said and we both shook his hands and he gave us a warm smile.

"Welcome to where the magic happens! Feel free to use whatever, I am stepping out for a few hours," He said, handing the keys to Dante who thanked him.

Dante dragged Kate over to the punching bags and I smiled and rolled my eyes as he seductively wrapped her hands for her. I walked over to the treadmills figuring some cardio couldn't hurt. I plugged in my music and I started to run.

I had run track in high school but had quit once going to college. I wasn't too fast but I enjoyed the endorphins running gave me. I tried to run twice a week when I wasn't busy.

I graduated college last year with a degree in English Literature. I ended up getting a freelance job editing books and I absolutely loved it. I got to work from home, which was really nice because I enjoyed staying in my pajamas all day, and being able to choose my own hours.

After running for about a mile I heard the heavy front door open. I looked in the giant mirror in front of me and I noticed Titus from last night walking in. He had a bruise on his eye and he was in a black sweatshirt and blue shorts.

I noticed next to him was a little boy who seemed to be about 4 or 5. He was bundled up in a black jacket and green hat and was looking down at a toy car he was playing with. The boy looked like Titus but could easily be his little brother or maybe nephew. I watched as they walked into the office and out walked Titus a few moments later alone and in a sleeveless shirt.

I decided to focus on the treadmill and I tried not to stare as I felt him walk over in my direction. He grabbed a jump rope and he started using it. He was going fast and his arm muscles flexed as he swung the rope around and around.

I forced myself to look away as I continued to push through the second mile. I looked behind me and I watched as Dante tried to teach Kate how to throw a punch and I smiled at my friend who in the past had a shitty dating record. Dante seemed really into her and I was glad she had found a guy who wasn't a douche.

Once I reached 3 miles I finally slowed down to a walk trying to even my breathing. Titus continued to jump rope and I finally stepped down deciding to lift some weights. I grabbed the 15 lb ones and I did some lunges ignoring the deep burn in my legs. I tried focusing on my leg workout as I watched Titus finally put the jump rope down and he started to wrap his hands quickly.

I continued my leg workout as he started sending punches at the heaviest punching bag. Which his punches were so strong they caused the chain to slam as he punched it. I finished my squats and I tried to ignore him. Once I finished my squats I walked towards the office to get my water.

As I drank from the bottle the office door opened up and a little head peaked out. The little boy was cute with blonde hair messed up from wearing a hat, and bright blue eyes which matched Titus's.

"Can you help me?" He asked in a quiet tone and I nodded my head, setting my drink down. I leaned down so I was down at his level.

"What is up buddy?" I asked him and he smiled guiltily.

"Hi my name is Mason and I got my car stuck," he said and I smiled at him.

"I am Quinn, let's see if I can help," I said to him, opening up the door wider. Mason brought me to the corner of the room where in a vent on the ground his car was trapped. It had fallen through the crack but the vent was closed so it had stopped further down.

"I see the problem," I said as I kneeled next to him looking down at the car. I noticed that the vent could be opened with a key so I grabbed my bobby pin out of my hair and I shoved it into the hole, glad that I had learned to pick locks when I was younger.

My Mom was a single mother who worked all of the time so there were multiple occasions where she locked us out and we would have to find different ways to break into the house. When I was 8 I decided to learn how to pick a lock and it saved us on many occasions.

A few seconds later the vent popped open and I smiled, lifting it up and grabbing the car. Mason gasped in excitement and he grabbed it from me letting out a happy dance.

"How did you do that?" He asked me and I smiled at him, putting the bobby pin back into my hair.

"I learned it when I was younger," I said and he smiled widely at me and took my hand in his.

"Can you teach me?" He asked me, he looked up at me with hopeful eyes. I nodded my head as I pulled my bobby pin back out of my hair.

"Okay, so this is how you pick a lock," I said, as I brought him over to the grate. I taught him the basics and he got frustrated when he couldn't get it.

"It took me a few days to learn it's okay," I said to him as he groaned when it didn't open. He finally dropped the bobby pin down the grate and he let out a big groan.

"I am sorry," he said, looking up at me with wide eyes.

"It is okay, I didn't need it anyway," I said smiling at him, not wanting him to worry.

"Do you have any other cool tricks?" He asked me and I shrugged.

"Not really, do you?" I asked him and he smiled at me. He grabbed my hand and led me back out to the gym, I smiled at him as he dragged me over to the weights I had been using. He set down his car and looked at me.

"I am super strong for a 4-year-old," he said seriously and I looked at him impressed.

"Let's see it," I said, putting my arms on my hips. I cautiously watched as he went to grab a 35 lb weight. It almost fell on his foot and I helped him grab it just before it could crush his foot.

"Wow, this is so heavy!! How did you pick it up?" I asked him, pretending it was a bit heavier than it was. Mason smiled widely at me.

"I am super strong just like Daddy!!" He said and I helped him put the weight back. He then showed me his biceps and I raised my eyebrows.

"They are bigger than mine!" I said, flexing my arms and he laughed.

"I can do even heavier," He said and my eyes went wide as he went for the 50 lb weight.

"Stop right there Mason," I heard a voice behind me. It was deep, with a tender tone, and was slightly horse. I looked behind me to see Titus with his arms crossed across his chest, his biceps flexing as he looked down at Mason. His headphones were abandoned around his neck.

"I am trying to show my strength, Dad!" Mason said, slightly shocking me. Titus looked more like an older brother than a Dad, but by the stern look he was giving Mason I knew he was his father.

"How about you show me your super speed and go get ready so we can get you some breakfast," Titus said to Mason who's face lit up and he ran into the room. I turned to look at Titus who's face gave nothing away.

"I hope he didn't bother you," Titus said finally and I shook my head.

"It is okay he was sweet," I said, awkwardly playing with my headphones. Titus gave a quick nod before heading into the office. I looked over and Dante was hitting the bags and Kate was cheering him on.

I sat down and I decided to stretch out my legs. As I was finishing stretching my quads Mason ran over to me with his coat on and a car in his hands. Titus was trailing behind him, holding onto a bag.

"Thank you for saving my car, and lifting weights with me," He said with a big smile, his eyes excited as he spoke to me.

"Thank you for being the first superhero I ever met," I said with a smile and he let out a giggle.

"We are going to get donuts!!! You should come with us!" Mason said and I looked up at Titus in shock, and he seemed just as taken off guard.

"I am sure she is busy," Titus said to Mason who frowned and looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I am here with my friend, but maybe next time?" I promised and that satisfied him. He surprised me by hugging my legs and then he grabbed his father's hand and they left the building.

Later that day we got home and I checked the calendar and my eyes went wide as I realized it was October 24th. My eyes teared up and Kate walked by the kitchen and pulled me into a hug.

"I can't believe I forgot," I said as she held me.

"She wouldn't want you to be sad," Kate said as she ran her hand through my hair. My Mom was diagnosed with cancer when I was 17. By the time I turned 19 she passed away, leaving me with nobody except for Kate.

Kate had helped me with the funeral and helped me get through my sophomore year of college dealing with such a loss. My Mother's death made me appreciate the good moments, and be hopeful through the bad.

Her inheritance helped me pay off my college debt and I moved away from my hometown not wanting to be reminded of her. I wiped my tears and I told Kate I would be okay. I went into my room and cried myself to sleep asking if my mom could hear me for her to send me something good in my life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 726 41
In which the girl falls for the boy across the hall "How could someone like you? Ever love me?" "I guess I see something in you I don't see in any o...
4.5K 68 20
At the age of 9, Erin Wilson got into a car accident with her mom. Erin made it, but her mother had passed away. At the age of 9, Erin lost all her f...
1.6K 108 23
Elizabeth Young has lost her job and is in desperate need of her mothers approval. When her estranged brother-who she has recently been trying to rec...
822K 21.5K 28
***ORIGINAL VERSION. EDITED (WITH NEW CONTENT) CAN BE FOUND ON RADISH UNDER THE TITLE "BELOW THE BELT": https://radish.app.link/rPNfrOwPe7*** Step ri...