Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch. 37 Time out

5.8K 574 99
By marcyswales17

Chapter 37

Hayden pushed the key into the keyhole and turned the lock. The click of the door opening filled the halls along with Nora's quiet sniffles. He looked over his shoulder as she wiped her puffy eyes and stepped into the apartment.

"I cleaned up the place," Hayden said as he followed the girl inside. "I hope you don't mind. I didn't want you to come home to the mess."

Nora nodded. She let out a long heavy sigh and slipped off the heels she was wearing. Hayden hovered by the door, not sure what to say or do. He didn't want to leave her alone in the apartment right after the funeral, but he wasn't sure if she wanted company.

Nora walked over to the sofa and plopped down. She leaned back and pulled her legs up as she placed her head on the back rest. Her face was dull and pale as she bit down on her bottom lip to keep the fresh new tears from rushing out once more.

"Do you have to leave?" her voice cracked.

"No," Hayden shook his head, looking at the girl crying on the sofa. "I don't have to go."

"Will you sit with me?"

Hayden felt as if he grew wings. His feet carried him over to the sofa and he sank down beside her. When Nora moved a bit closer, his heart started pounding.

"Thank you," she whispered, wiping her eyes once more.

"For what?" Hayden laid his head back and watched her.

"For arranging everything for the funeral," Nora took in a deep breath and tried to compose herself. "I don't think I would have been able to handle that."

"You don't have to thank me," Hayden looked up at the ceiling of the apartment.

He could feel Nora's gaze on his face. It made his insides feel warm and giddy. He wanted to reach out and touch her and tell her he was falling in love. But that would be way too much for her right now. She just buried her aunt...it wouldn't be appropriate to dump his emotions on her.

"It was nice of your parents to come," Nora said after a long stretch of silence.

"Yeah," Hayden nodded, suddenly very aware of how Nora's leg rested against his.

"I hope you apologized to them for the other night."

Hayden shrugged.

"Hayden," Nora frowned. "Why are you so stubborn?"

"Now is really not the time to be talking about me," Hayden turned his head. "How are you feeling?"

"I don't know," Nora confessed, staring into those green eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I feel...." Nora's eyes began to water again.

Hayden lifted his head and reached out for her as she let the water spill. He pulled her into his arms and wrapped his arms around her small body as she buried her face in his chest and began to sob once again. Each time she shook with a sob, Hayden felt his insides shake along with her. He was terrified and amazed by how everything she did swept him off his feet and left him desperate for more.

"It's going to be okay," Hayden lowered his lips to her ear. "I promise."

"No," Nora shook her head and pulled back. "Nothing is okay. Everyone left me."

Hayden felt his throat tighten. He hated those fat tears in her eyes. They made his brave stubborn girl look like a helpless child.

"I'm here," he tried to reassure her.

"No, you don't get it," Nora pushed away and sat back on her legs.

Hayden watched her place her hands on her lap as if she was getting ready to pray. Her head hung and her glossy brown hair swayed over her shoulders. She pressed the wad of tissues she held to her eyes but they did nothing to soak up her tears.

"Lidia was the only family I had," Nora's voice was so low Hayden barely heard her. "First my mom, and then my dad, and now Lidia."

"But your dad..." Hayden began slowly. "He's not dead."

Nora suddenly laughed in between her sobs, "He might as well be! I haven't seen him in years!"

"I'm sorry," Hayden frowned. "But you're not alone."

Nora lifted her brown eyes as Hayden began to reach out for her. He wanted to tell her he would never leave her side but when a loud knock at the door rang out through the apartment, Nora jumped, shattering the moment that was building.

"I'll get it," Hayden sighed, curing under his breath and rising to his feet.

He walked over to the door and swung it open to find the guy from the hospital standing outside.

"Is Nora here?" Dev asked, holding yet another bouquet of ugly flowers.

Hayden was tempted to say no when Nora's voice stopped him.

"Dev?" she called to the boy, leaning around Hayden's body to get a better look at the doorway.

"Nora?" Dev stepped into the apartment, being careful to avoid bumping into Hayden.

"Hey," Nora tried for a smile but it just looked awkward.

"Hey," Dev walked farther into the room as Nora began to rise.

Hayden shut the door and turned around as the two embraced in the middle of the living room. His face darkened and his mood went sour as he stood back watching them.

"I'm so happy you're okay," Dev said as the two pulled apart. "I'm so sorry to hear about Lidia. God, I can't believe it. It's still so shocking."

Nora didn't have a response. She had heard the speech a million times that day from all of Lidia's friends and co-workers. Not once did she know how to respond.

"How are you doing?" Dev asked, adjusting the dark framed glasses on his face.

"I'm....okay," Nora shrugged.

"Oh, these are for you," Dev looked down at the flowers and forwarded them to the girl.

"Thank you," Nora said as she took the bundle and held it close to herself.

The sudden strong scent of the roses and lilies made her nose begin to itch before she took a step back and sneezed into her elbow.

"Pollen allergies," Hayden muttered as he stepped forward and tried to take the flowers from Nora.

"No, I'm okay," Nora tried to say as she sneezed again.

"Give me the flowers," Hayden held out his hand.

The sudden coldness in his voice caught Nora off guard. She looked up at him and blinked in surprise as he stepped forward and took the flowers out of her hand. She could feel Dev watching them as Hayden snapped in fingers and the flowers ended up on a vase on the kitchen island.

"Neat trick," he said, before turning to Nora. "Can I get you anything? Why didn't you call? I would have helped you with the funeral arrangements."

"I..." Nora's eyes bounced to Hayden, who stood behind Dev with a deep scowl on his face. "Thank you, but Hayden took care of everything."

"Oh," Dev looked over his shoulder to the guy standing behind him. "That's very nice of you."

Hayden glared.

"Dev," Nora reached for the boy's arm and felt Hayden's eyes immediately zero in on the little touch. "Thank you for stopping by."

"Yes, of course," Dev nodded. "We all miss you at work. Not that there is any rush to come bac-"

"Now really isn't a good time," Nora said, feeling a sense of restlessness and frustration swirling in her system. Her eyes kept moving to Hayden as she began to walk Dev to the door. "Thanks again for the flowers. I'll talk to you soon."

"Nora," Dev stopped despite Nora practically pushing him out the door.

"Yes, Dev?" Nora let out a sigh and smiled.

"I'm here for you," Dev said. "We all are. Whatever you need, just pick up your phone and call. I hate that you're staying here alone at a time like this. You're more than welcome to come stay with Matthew and me for a few da-"

Nora's chest began to burn as she bit down on her jaw and forced the urge to push the guy out the door. His words felt like nails against a black board to her ears. She couldn't understand why he was suddenly so god damn annoying.

"Dev," Nora almost snapped. "Thank you. But I am fine here. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay," Dev nodded.

Nora dug her nail into her palm as she watched the boy step out of the apartment and close the door behind him. She stood frozen on her spot as the storm of anger swirled inside of her, slowly dying out. After several long seconds, Nora turned and met Hayden's eyes.

Like an explosion of the cosmos far far away, Nora felt her mind burst open as realization hit her like a ton of bricks. She stared into Hayden's green eyes that swirled with the same heat and anger she was trying to stomp out inside of her chest. Her lips parted and she gasped as Hayden stood motionless with his expression blank.

"What the hell..." Nora took a small step forward.

Hayden didn't move.

"What is this?" Nora asked. "Wh-what....why..."

Hayden watched as Nora ran a hand through her hair and scanned his face.

"Why are you angry?" she asked.

"I'm not angry," Hayden said.

"Yes, you are," Nora put her feet down. "Hayden, I can feel it. Literally."

"What?"

"You're angry with Dev," Nora pointed to the door. "Why....why am I feeling your emotions?"

"What are you talking about?" Hayden took a small step forward, confused and concerned.

"I feel it," Nora shivered. "You were ready to beat him up. Oh my god, what is happening?"

"You felt that?" Hayden's heart began to race.

"Yes!" Nora snapped.

"How?"

"I don't know!" Nora shook her hands. "Hayden, what's happening?"

"Come here," Hayden held out his hand. "We have to go see my mom."

"Why?" Nora began to worry. "What's wrong?"

"I think it might be me..."

"What do you mean?"

"I...." Hayden shrugged, trying to stay calm as Nora panicked. "I healed you."

"When?"

"When you fell," Hayden frowned. "From the balcony."

"Is this why it's happening?"

"I don't know," Hayden said. "I never healed anyone before."

"I thought it was dangerous to heal humans?"

"It is."

"But you did it anyway?"

The frown on Hayden's face deepened, "Nora, I wasn't going to hurt you."

"No, of course not," Nora shook her head. "You just gambled with deep frying my inside."

"I had no choice!" Hayden's eyes snapped up. "It was either I took the risk of healing you or have you bleed to death in my arms."

"Don't get angry with me!"

"I'm not angry with you!"

"You are!" Nora argued. "I can feel it!"

"I'm sorry," Hayden held out his hands. "I'm not angry....I'm upset. You know I would never hurt you."

"What is happening to me, Hayden?" Nora's breathing labored.

"I don't know," Hayden confessed. "Please just come with me and my parents can help us figure it out."

Nora nodded and took a small step forward. Her heart was beating in her throat as Hayden wrapped his arms around her and opened a portal. Her brown eyes swam with a million questions as she stared up at him. But the one she chose to speak made Hayden's anger flare once more.

"Why were you so mad when Dev was here?" She asked.

"I don't like him," Hayden said, looking down into her warm eyes.

"He's my friend," Nora frowned. "And co-worker."

"Doesn't mean I have to like him."

"Hayden..." Nora placed her palm over his heart and looked down in amazement.

The rhythm of their beats were identical. She felt each pulse start in his chest, pass through her hands and then end in her chest. With each beat a string of energy passed through them, pulling them closer and closer.

"You're jealous," Nora's eyes snapped up.

"What?"

"You're jealous of Dev," Nora observed.

"I...." Hayden frowned. He wanted to deny it, but the word was making a lot of sense.

"Why are you jealous of Dev?"

"Do we really have to talk about him right now?" Hayden asked. "You're turning into my own personal Clare...I would like to address that first."

"This is all your doing."

"What was I supposed to do?" Hayden groaned. "Let you die?"

"I don't know!" Nora pushed at his chest. "Stop yelling at me!"

Hayden snorted.

"And you have no right to be upset right now," Nora scolded. "Stop it!"

"I'm not upset."

"That's not what I'm feeling."

"Maybe that's your own feeling."

"Why would I be upset?"

"I don't know, Nora!"

"Why are you getting irritated? My goodness!"

"You aggravate me!"

"Oh! That's just wonderful, isn't it?" Nora pushed away from the half jinn. "Turn me into whatever I'm turning into and then tell me I'm aggravating!"

"You're not turning into anything," Hayden said. "Now, come here."

"Don't order me around!" Nora folded her arms over her chest. "Who do you think you are?"

"I'm trying to get us some help."

"You can ask me to come join you nicely."

"Nicely?" Hayden's eyes narrowed. "Fuck that word. I'm not nice, now deal with it!"

"I don't have to deal with shit," Nora took a step back.

"Now you're just being very stubborn."

"I'm not Birdie or your mom," Nora's eyes narrowed. "You don't get to talk to me however you please and expect me to get over it. You're obviously angry right now. I think you should leave and cool off before I go anywhere with you."

"Nora," Hayden sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm not leaving without you."

"I'm not leaving with you."

Hayden shook his head and began to mutter. Nora watched his jaw work as he glared at her from where he stood by the sofa. The air between them started to crackle like a wood fire as Hayden's dark green eyes watched Nora.

"Always so goddamn difficult," he muttered.

As he began to turn towards the portal, Nora's heart jumped.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"You told me to leave," Hayden looked over his shoulder.

"To the other room," Nora snapped. "Not the apartment."

Hayden rolled his eyes and closed the portal, "Which room?"

"Go to my room," Nora pointed. "I'll stay in the living room."

"It's like you're punishing me and sending me to my room for time out."

"That's what happens when you act like a child."

Hayden's eyes narrowed.

"Go," Nora pointed to her room once more. "And don't come out until you are ready to talk like an adult."  

What is happening to Nora? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140 0 5
I would hear the song one more time, then the storm would batter me to death. That is what I hoped for.
86 0 197
:)))))
141K 4.2K 41
I should be living my life like every second was my last, Not wishing it was, But when I'm with her, I forget the difference.
15 0 10
If I had known my life was gonna end up this way, I would've stopped caring about my grade in math.