Rewriting the Timeline

By SugarCoated1134

Harry Potter at 18 decided he had enough action and became an unspeakable to the shock of the wizarding world... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 3

3.5K 158 10
By SugarCoated1134

It had been a week since he returned to the past. He became quite close to the Marauders, Lily, Severus, as well as the future Weasleys and Longbottoms. He sincerely hoped he could prevent the tragedy befalling them all. Harry noticed with relief that the Marauders stopped bullying Severus, thus improving their relationship with Lily. Lily had stopped avoiding them, much to James's delight.

Deciding against any gear, he strapped on his wand and weapon holsters. It was quite early in the morning with no one was awake except for Remus, who didn't question anything. In fact, he simply ignored him. The boy had been acting strange around him for a while now, and it bothered him to no end. He hoped he didn't upset him or something, the gentle wolf meant a lot to him.

"Good morning, Remus," he hesitantly greeted as he passed. The scarred boy gazed at him but immediately went back to his book.

"Morning," was his curt reply. Slightly hurt, Harry walked past with his head down, trying not to show it. Once he arrived at the familiar room, he paced three times, steeling himself for his next task.

'I need to find the horcrux, I need to find the horcrux, I need to find the horcrux,' he thought as he paced. The familiar doors morphed into existence, and he pushed it open. Remembering its hidden location, he made his way to a large pile and started digging. Sifting through many trinkets and jewelry, he saw the familiar sparkle of a deep blue sapphire. Grinning, he grabbed onto it and pulled out Ravenclaw's diadem. The silver tiara glistened, its blue gems shimmering and swirling in the light. It was a shame Voldy put such dark magic in a gorgeous artifact as this. Wasting no time, he climbed out of the pile and headed to an empty space on the floor. He put the delicate piece on the ground and casted a strong shield on himself, knowing what was to come. The horcrux was hissing and shaking slightly as if expecting what was to come and trying to escape. Paying no mind, he pulled his venomous dagger out of its holster and immediately stabbed the diadem directly in the center. Hisses and echoed cries were heard from the horcrux as if it were in agony, but Harry ignored it all. Black smoke surrounded them with an essence of Voldemort attempting to attack him, but his protections were too strong, and the attempts were futile. Once the cries seized and the smoke dissipated, he ripped the dagger out of the mutilated silver. He returned the weapon to his side and kicked the stupid trinket back into a pile, the remains satisfyingly crashing with a clatter. He smiled vindictively; Voldemort was going down. With the first one done and 4 more to go, he headed back to his dorms and got ready for the day.

"Hey Harry! Catch!" James shouted from behind as he walked. With his seeker instincts he immediately whipped around, hands hand out for the incoming object. He was quite surprised when he found a rat fall into his grasp, its small body wriggling about. He had seen this rat way too many times before with Ron; it was Peter. He immediately wiped the recognition off his face though, he wasn't supposed to know about their forms.

FLASHBACK

"Hey, Harry...?" Peter quietly asked one day while they were alone. Harry gave a small glare but nonetheless turned.

"Yes, Peter?" he responded as politely as he could. The boy whimpered a bit but didn't back down.

"Why do you hate me so much? I mean I know you are trying to be civil, but you clearly dislike me. Did I do something wrong?" the shy boy whispered out; hands nervously clasped. Harry stared a moment before he felt a small pang of guilt. He had been rude, hadn't he? This Peter hadn't betrayed his family, and he wasn't a death eater yet. He basically didn't do anything wrong. Maybe instead of antagonizing him he could help like Severus. He gave a small sigh.

"I'm sorry Peter, you just," he hesitated, finding the right words, "you remind me of someone I used to know, and he is responsible for my lack of family," he settled on putting it. Peter's eyes widened but he immediately gazed down.

"Oh..." he unsurely responded, starting to squirm a bit.

"But it isn't your fault, and I shouldn't have placed the blame on you. I'm sorry," Harry offered. Peter gave a slight smile.

"Friends?" he asked earnestly, he wanted to get along with the new kid. Harry stood for a moment before giving in.

'Friends." He had a small smile as he shook the shaking boy's hand.

FLASHBACK OVER

Holding the rat carefully, he turned to see the marauders. Remus was reading a book whilst rolling his eyes at his friends' antics while the other two had a crazed gleam staring at Peter.

"What's with the rat?" he feigned curiosity, cradling it in his palms, much to Peter's relief. The marauders gave a mischievous grin.

"Oh nothing, just some transfiguration practice," James innocently replied before plucking Peter by his tail and tossing him to Sirius. Peter was now squeaking rapidly in horror. Harry knew Sirius and James wouldn't purposely harm him, so he just watched in entertainment. That is until he grimaced as a thought popped into his head. He didn't know exact dates, but he knew if they were already animagi then they were probably inventing the Marauders map. He didn't know where it was hidden, and he couldn't just go through their stuff without raising suspicion. All he could hope is they hadn't finished.

TIMESKIP

"Are you ready, Harry my boy?" Slughorn happily questioned as he escorted Harry in the ministry. Slughorn had wasted no time in getting his potion evaluated, though he was miffed of not being allowed to watch the brewing until the trial date. Harry was quite impressed with how fast he was able to get his potion checked out.

"I'm ready sir," Harry replied with a slight smile, clutching his satchel of ingredients. He was apprehensive; this period was before people fought for creature rights. They weren't going to care about the werewolves themselves; only that the monsters could be controlled. This in turn could lead to laws forcing them to consume his potion even if they couldn't afford it. Though, he was giving werewolves a chance to be treated human for once, so he was glad about that. He knew the ingredients were a tad pricey and the Wolfsbane price was inflated exponentially to the point people couldn't afford it. That is why he'd set it for the lowest possible price, though there wouldn't be much profit he could help people like Remus. Harry was escorted to the office for new inventions. Opening the door, waiting for him was a cauldron and a couple tools, as well as a group of people, all having many scars. They were werewolves. Harry felt his blood boil by the sight; ministry workers forcing them in a corner with guards who looked at them in contempt. The werewolves all looked depressed, tired, wary, and ashamed. Many were fidgeting uncomfortably, their bodies pale and skinny with bags under their eyes. Ignoring it for now, he turned to the man in the front, his trial supervisor.

"Ah, you must be the boy, who claims he can cure lycanthropy?" The young worker drawled, though he seemed to not believe it by his tone. Harry raised an eyebrow at the man leaning on the desk, bored. He didn't care for that sort of attitude.

"Temporarily speaking. You are the supervisor, yes? Shall we get started?" Harry impatiently questioned; arms crossed. Slughorn laughed nervously and patted his back.

"Now, now, Harry. Show some respect," Slughorn slightly scolded. Harry just turned his unimpressed look to him, to which Slughorn brushed off. Sighing, he removed his satchel of ingredients and without any more words he started brewing. Slughorn watched over the process, asking questions about the ingredients or the steps he used. One ingredient after another, each stir and timing, he had it all memorized. It took a while over an hour before he had a bubbling cauldron of glittering blue liquid. Relaxing as he finished, he poured them through a funnel into 7 vials, though there were only 6 participants.

"And why do you have an extra vial, Mr. Peverell?" the worker questioned challengingly, as if he would be stupid enough to miscount.

"It is for a friend," Harry simply replied, pocketing it. He noticed the disgusted face of the man but also the surprised look on the werewolves; they thought he invented the potion as some sort of suppression for their monster; not to genuinely help them. He handed each pocket sized vial to the participants.

"It should be taken within 24 hours before the full moon in one sitting. You'll feel quite fatigued, but that is the only side-effect. You won't transform and won't lose control," he told them. With that, he turned to Slughorn who oversaw the evaluation. He had an impressed look shining on his face.

"Well, done, Harry. That was quite the idea you had; I've never seen mandrakes used in any prototype for lycanthropy. And the use of aconite was also a unique idea." he heard a volunteer choke at the mention of werewolf poison, eyes wide and terrified. Harry gave him a reassuring smile.

"It is only a small amount that will not injure you, only disable the wolf for the night. You'll be fine," he informed, and the lady shakily smiled back, albeit disbelievingly.

"Well, Mr. Peverell, we have these volunteers secure for the night, so you may head home. We'll send your verification trial results the next morning," the rude wizard sneered out, then had the guards forcefully push the werewolves out of the room. Harry just curtly nodded before leaving, though his fists were clenched in anger. Before he was out the door, he turned to the werewolves who were leaving ashamed.

"Hey, I'm not doing this for my own benefit. I had a friend who lived miserably due to his condition, I want to prevent others from going through that as well," he said before heading out the door. He didn't see the group slightly tear up at the statement; to think someone genuinely wanted to help them.

Once Harry flooed back into Hogwarts, he immediately went to Remus. Today was a full moon, so he wasn't heading to classes and was probably lonely and uncomfortable. He knocked softly and entered to see a lethargic and downcast Remus Lupin in his bed, staring blankly at nothing.

"Hey Remus," he gently called beside the frail wizard. Remus turned to him and gave a weak smile, but still with the weird look in his eyes. Harry internally felt dejected, what had he done wrong?

"Hello, Harry, how did the trial go?" he questioned, knowing the boy was at the ministry. Harry immediately scowled.

"The man was bias and rude, the werewolves looked so tired and sick of everything. I wish the ministry wasn't so corrupt, perhaps it'd get things done for once," he bit out. Sighing in frustration, he took the blue vial out of his pocket and handed it to Remus. The boy shakily took it and stared at the liquid with wide eyes.

"Thank you," he breathed as he stared at the vial. Harry just smiled.

"Take it now, it works as long as it is taken on the day," Harry told him. Remus immediately complied and swallowed the substance, shuddering at the bitter taste. He set the empty vial on his nightstand.

"I don't know how I can repay you, Harry," Remus whispered out, and it was true. He barely knew the boy, yet he was helping him with little catch, if his selfless requests could even count.

"It is nothing, Remus. I'm just trying to help out a friend," he stated honestly. But before Harry left, Remus held him back, deciding to use his Gryffindor courage. It was just the two of them; the others were in class. It was his chance.

"Harry, you are hiding something else, aren't you?" he quietly hinted, weakly grabbing his robe sleeve.

Harry stiffened for a moment, "I don't know what you mean," he warily replied, looking away. Remus let go and gave a sigh as he ran his hand in his hair.

"Harry, in all my years, no one has ever recognized me as a werewolf from my scars, even those who have encountered one. It may prove I was attacked by one, but not that I am one," he explained. It was something that increasingly bothered Remus for a long time. He believed him at first, but the more he thought about it, it didn't make any sense. Harry didn't reply and tried to leave but Remus grabbed him again. While he was too weak to really hold him, Harry couldn't just shake him off.

"Harry, sit down," he sternly requested. Harry slumped not wanting to disagree or start a fight and awkwardly sat on his bed. Damn it, he shouldn't have revealed he knew about Remus. He could've avoided this mess! Remus then took out a piece of worn parchment, a parchment that to Harry was all too familiar. His eyes widened before he could stop it as the boy said the words.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," Remus whispered. Harry froze, he was trapped; even if he ran the name would still show up. Did the others know?! He snapped his head down, hiding behind his hair, not ready for the conversation coming. Remus who already saw his last name on it was going to hand it to him when he saw Harry seemingly recognize it...

"We've never shown this map to anyone, Harry. Yet you seem to know of it? It is well hidden in the dorm, and you never touch our stuff," he pressed. Harry just shook his head, not talking. He didn't want them to find out, to know his past. To know what happened to them. "Just who are you, Harry Potter?" Remus forcefully demanded. Harry flinched and continued looking down, until Remus put a hand under his chin and craned his neck up. "Hey, I won't tell the others. I stopped them all from touching the map as soon as I saw your name. I'll keep it a secret; just tell me. Don't keep it in," Remus softly coaxed. Harry slowly looked up to see truthful and caring eyes, the same ones of his elder self. They were full of compassion, he genuinely cared. Before he could stop it, tears formed in his eyes. He started hiccupping out sobs and suddenly hugged the taller boy. Harry missed Moony so much, but he wasn't supposed to know him. It hurt so much that he didn't know him, didn't trust and care for him like he does. Remus who always had a gentle nature, just started stroking his back and shushing him quietly. Harry continued to sob and clutched the boy as if he was all he had, and in a way he was. He was his last family before he died; he was the few people he had left. Once Harry calmed enough to think clearly, he took a shuttered breath. He hadn't wanted to be outed so fast, but there wasn't much he could do. Remmy was always the observant type...

"What I'm about to tell you is quite unbelievable. But I swear it is true," Harry whispered out. Remus stared at the boy for a moment; his eyes were full of pain and desperation; a call that was never heard or seen. Remus just smiled and tilted a head.

"I'm listening," he gently said, and allowed Harry to lean on his shoulder. And so, Harry told him. About his terrible life, all the fighting and war, the loss of everyone he loved the heartbreak and sorrow as he watched Sirius die in front of him, the Dursley's neglect, him blaming himself for everything, all of it. Remus just sat there listening to his inner turmoil, all the bottled-up emotions. When Harry finished, he was crying again, silent, and painful tears running down his red face. For a moment they were both silent, then Remus pulled the boy into a hug, his own tears prickling his eyes.

"Harry, I'm so sorry. No one deserves such a thing, you are so strong," Remus whispered, tears flowing down his own face. It was hard to take in, but it explained so much. Harry's devotion to the Marauders and care for Lily, his initial hatred of Peter, his advanced understanding in classes, all of it. Once the two calmed down, Remus straightened up.

"You're really Lily and James's?" he asked, honestly astonished. To think Lily one day agreed to date James was unbelievable. Harry gave a watery chuckle.

"Yeah, he did. A while after he stopped bullying Severus."

"So that's why you requested him to stop," Remus realized. Harry smiled wryly.

"That, and I know how it feels to be bullied; not great. Oh, and Snape grew up so bitter and cold; I wanted to prevent that as well." Remus gave a small smile.

"You have a pure heart, Harry," he told him. Harry gave him a look.

"I killed Moony," he quietly confessed. "I'm not clean at all."

"But you care, and fought for the sake of others," Remus told him. Harry reluctantly conceded the point. The two were still talking when class ended, and as the other Marauders came in.

"Hey, Remmy!" James ecstatically greeted his friend, a grin on his face. Seeing Harry there he continued, "You too, Harry!" James through his arms around the two teens.

"Hey guys." The other boys eventually entered the room. Sirius took a closer look at the two boys and felt concern.

"Hey, are you two alright? You look like you've been crying," Sirius hesitantly pointed out. The other two stared at their friends; he was right. Their eyes were red and swollen, especially Harry's. Panicking Harry stiffened a bit, not knowing what to say. Remus thankfully covered for him.

"Harry was feeling emotional about the way they treated the werewolves today, I was comforting him," Remus swiftly excused. The other boys seemed to believe it.

"Right, that was today, wasn't it? The ministry visit," Peter wondered aloud. Sirius grinned.

"How'd it go?" Harry grimaced.

"The actual test was fine, but the werewolves there were just so put off. It isn't fair," he vehemently whispered. Remus wasn't lying about him being upset; he was disgusted. "I hope I can market my potion cheap enough for them to afford, I know they rarely have stable jobs..." Remus flinched at that. Harry snapped his mouth closed, not wanting to upset Remus. Noticing the sudden tension, James stepped in.

"The potion is wonderful, Harry. It surely could help a lot of people," he exclaimed. Harry smiled slightly.

"I hope so too..." he whispered quietly. He hoped his task would too.

Classes were completely over so the boys all changed out of uniform par Harry and Remus. Once settled, they all chatted for a while and joked around. None of them wanted to leave Remus's side today. The boys were a bit nervous as the hours ticked by, even knowing the potion should work. Remus had fell asleep a while ago due to the potion effects. Eventually, the time was coming.

"Hey, the moon's rising," Peter commented as he leaned against the window. Sirius walked over to see for himself, seeing a bright light peaking out.

"Well, moment of truth I suppose" Sirius replied slightly stiff. The inhabitants turned to Remus, who was laying peacefully snuggled under his blanket. They all held their breath as the moon raised higher and higher in the sky. Eventually, the bright orb was fully at its peak, lighting the starry night. And to everyone's relief, nothing happened. Harry was first to break the silent anticipation.

"What, did you think I lied about the potion," Harry cheekily commented. Though he was also feeling quite nervous for a different reason. He designed this potion in Remus's honor. And now, he was taking it, something he never thought would happen. He yelped loudly as he was suddenly tackled into a hug.

"You're amazing, Har!" Sirius exclaimed; arms wrapped around his back. Harry gave an airy chuckle and hugged his godfather back. He would never admit it but being in his arms again overjoyed him.

"Glad you think so." James then stepped forward before the two of them.

"Hey, we've been thinking. You've been awfully close to us and share our dorm, and you've been a tremendous help in classes and for our dear Remus," he gazed with a smile at the sleeping boy who passed out from exhaustion. "We'd like you to join our squad, Harry. Officially." Harry snapped his head to look at James, letting go of Sirius who made his way beside Peter.

"You earned it," Sirius stated with a grin, hands on his hips.

"Definitely," Peter added. Harry felt his eyes water again but held it in. They wouldn't understand why he was so emotional after all.

"So, what do you say Harry? Want to be a Marauder?" James invited, hand out and a big smile on his face. Harry mirrored it brightly, emotions shining in his eyes.

"I'm in." he shook his father's hand and was pulled into a side hug.

"Looks like the Marauders gained a member," James stated happily. They all laughed a bit. Deciding it was late, they all followed Remus's example and headed to bed. As Harry laid there, he felt a few tears fall. This was the best thing that ever happened to him. He had his parents, Remmy, and Siri. He had his family. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.6K 657 86
LONG FIC // COMPLETE Fifth Year has rolled around for the Marauders at Hogwarts. However, this year is a bit different because a certain Marauder; Ja...
3.4M 118K 65
[ EDITING] James Potter was a skilled and talented wizard, his name a renowned one amongst Hogwarts students. Many knew him because of...
13.1K 584 21
Remus Lupin's life is miserable. He was bitten by a werewolf at the age of five causing his lycanthropy and as a result ostracisation from both the w...
150K 4.2K 94
"Thank you." "For what?" "Being there for me." "Like I said, I'll be by your side for eternity." โ€ขMarauders era โ€ขWhen Talea Lupin transferres to Hog...