Red

By XXrogueXlucyXX

Ruby's village stays confined to a forest that surrounds the village. No one would dare to attempt to escape... More

Prologue
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty-One.
Twenty-Two.
Twenty-Three.
Twenty-Four.
Twenty-Five.
Twenty-Six.
Twenty-Seven.
Twenty-Eight.
Twenty-Nine.
Thirty.
Thirty-One.
Thirty-Two.
Thirty-Three.
Thirty-Four.
Thirty-Six.
Thirty-Seven.
Thirty-Eight.
Thirty-Nine.
Forty.
Epilogue.

Thirty-Five.

754 26 0
By XXrogueXlucyXX

When Court didn't show up the day, he promised is when I began to worry. And the worry got thicker when he wasn't there in the morning. The full moon is only a day away and he shouldn't have taken this long.

What could've held him up?

This is what led me to talk to Lyell and Xerxes. I tended to just ignore them unless they asked me a question. Especially Lyell.

I found the two in the kitchen cooking some a rack of ribs.

Lyell was rubbing the ribs down with some sort of seasoning before he placed them back in the oven. Xerxes looked over as he saw me come in.

"Do you need something?" Xerxes asked.

"Is Court back yet?" I asked.

"No." Xerxes answered.

"Can you look for him?" I asked.

Xerxes looked back at me. "How do you expect me to look for him? He's probably with the king and queen. I can't exactly walk in there." Xerxes responded.

"Court told me he would be back yesterday, and he's not here." I told him.

"Court was probably held up." Lyell spoke turning around.

"He promised me he'd be back." I retorted.

"What do you expect us to do? We can't go in there. The full moon is tomorrow, he'll be meeting us at the sacrifice zone. I'll tell him to go visit you after we get the sacrifice." Xerxes watched me.

"He promised me, something could've happened to him." I insisted.

"He's the crown prince, I doubt anything happened to him. You're just worrying yourself. Go read a book or something. I'll have Lyell bring you in the ribs once it's done." Xerxes shut me down instantly.

"Can't you guys just go near the village and check?" I asked not wanting to back down.

"He's fine. He's spent many years there, much longer than you've been here. There's been times where he is gone much longer than this time. He comes back so often because of you." Lyell spoke as he watched me.

Neither of the two were budging concerning Court. All I could do was go to my room, but it didn't get rid of my worry. I was terrified something had happened to him.

But I didn't know the way back to the village and I didn't want to risk walking there like some madwoman. Court never left Celeste here so it's not like I could take him. 

None of the wolf-shifters had horses either.

I ended up pacing the room. What could I possibly do?

Then an idea came in. An idea that could kill me if I don't do it quickly. Surely this would get me further than Court's stubborn brothers.

Thorin. He didn't like humans. He made it clear his disdain and he watched me cautiously upon finding out we were cousins. Maybe he'd help me. If there was a chance that he, would I had to take it.

The first thing I did was change my clothes to something a bit more flexible. Walking out the front door would without a doubt catch Lyell and Xerxes attention. The two may not care about me much but wouldn't just let me wander into the forest. I had to go out the window.

I put on one of the fur lined dresses with a more stretchy feel to it before grabbing my red cloak and putting on the thick leather boots that had been made for me.

Once I was dressed, I went to the window and pushed it open before slowly letting myself out and then shutting the window. I surveyed the area to make sure Lyell and Xerxes weren't out and could stop me.

Relief flooded me before I took off towards the forest. I had a brief idea on how I could find Thorin, but it's also a long shot. I must do it; Court could be in danger, and I can't just sit around and let it happen.

All I could do is search while recalling what Court told me. 

Thorin's territory would be past Lucia's. Lucia's cabin I remembered where is since Court and I had ridden out there. But there are dangers now that weren't there with Court.

Court is the leader of his pack. No one would mess with me while he was present. Court also had Celeste so things would be done faster. All I could do is hurry through the forest and hope I'd get there in time.

Court had pointed out the direction of Thorin's territory and an implication of where he'd be. I had only that to go on.

As much as I liked Lucia, I couldn't trust her not to send me back to Lyell and Xerxes. I was determined to get this done and simply walked near the cabin before taking off after making sure Lucia wasn't out.

If Court's territory had been dangerous then Thorin's would be deadly. I still could hear Thorin's threat on killing any human he found in the forest. But that had been before he found out we were related. Surely his pack knew by now that I am his cousin.

I could only hope he wouldn't kill his cousin. I didn't know what had happened here though, a mistake on my end.

I didn't have much sense of direction on where to go. All I could do is walk deeper into Thorin's territory and hope to come across a house and find Thorin in.

I took a guess that he would be in a cabin of some sort, especially now since Lotus is expecting. I continued walking endlessly through the woods praying that I'd eventually find Thorin or someone from his pack.

The someone was granted.

I had stopped for to catch my breath. The air turned white as I took a deep breath before looking up as I wrapped the red cloak firmly around me to keep myself warm.

As I did that, I heard branches break and looked up over at the woods. I hadn't spoken since the small argument with Lyell and Xerxes. Deep down there was this fear of something hearing me. I had no weapons, nothing on me to defend myself.

Even now my voice failed me. 

A low growl came out and I quickly turned over to the sound of the noise. My entire body stiffened as a white wolf with black markings down it's back came out. He was large and had the same golden eyes as the rest. His teeth were bared as he came over.

"I-- uh--" I couldn't even form a sentence as fear crawled through me. There was nothing I could do. I couldn't even get myself to run.

The wolf slowly stalked towards me letting out a low constant growl.

This was how I was going to die. Torn apart by one of Thorin's pack members under the idiotic belief that they wouldn't try to attack me because I was his cousin and Lyk's granddaughter. A belief that would kill me.

The wolf raised itself up before launching itself at me.

My entire body flinched as I curled my arms up in defense, but nothing ever came besides a loud thud followed by yelp and then more snarls. I had also fallen in surprise.

In front of the white wolf struggled beneath a red and brown hued wolf kicking the larger red one with all it's might in an attempt to get him off. The red wolf snarled at the other one before getting off and the wolf took off full speed into the woods before the red one turned to me.

I had replaced one vicious wolf with another.

I turned away waiting for this one to attack me but instead was yanked up by someone. I nearly fell from the force before looking up at Lyk.

"Are you crazy?" Lyk demanded.

"What?" I stared at him terrified.

"Have you lost all sense coming out here? He'd have killed you if I weren't there and your death would've been more than enough of provocation for Court to attack." Lyk stared at me anger in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." I couldn't even help the apology that fell from me.

"Where is he?" Lyk demanded letting go of my wrist

"Where is who?" I rubbed the spot where he had grabbed me before looking up at him.

"Where is Court, surely he didn't let you just wander off alone?" 

"I don't know where Court is." I admitted.

Lyk watched me. "What do you mean you don't know where he is?" Lyk asked as he watched me with a look of uncertainty.

"That's why I came here, I wanted to see Thorin. Court hasn't come back, and I don't know if he's safe." I told him and Lyk sighed.

"You're going in the wrong direction; his cabin is that way. I'll take you there." Lyk told me and I nodded as he began walking off in the other direction.

"Um, do you have any clothes to put on?" I asked.

I never was really around the wolf shifters, but I didn't find it surprising that they shifted back naked. But it didn't get rid of the discomfort that remained.

"Do you value clothing or time more?" Lyk asked.

I sighed. "Time." I murmured before following along after him.

Lyk eventually shifted back into his wolf form and trotted along. I'm not sure if it was out of respect or the cold. While the wolf shifters did seem better suited for the cold, I doubt streaking in the snow is comfortable and his fur is more suitable for this weather.

We continued through the forest before a cabin appeared. This one was like Court's but with a darker shade of a roof and a thinner chimney.

Lyk went up to the cabin and pushed up the door before looking at me and waiting for me to follow him. I went up the steps before entering the cabin as Lyk trotted to the back of the cabin.

In the kitchen Lotus stood there stirring a stew. She looked up upon hearing my boots on the floor and not Lyk's paw pads.

"Ah, Ruby, it's a surprise to see you. Did Lyk bring you here?" Lotus had always been kind in the time I had seen her. Like her mother, but with a bit more of a tongue to her from her interactions with Court.

"I came here of my own accord." I told her and Lotus smiled.

"Well, you should sit down, you look cold, would like some stew?" Lotus asked.

"No thank you, I'm actually here to talk to Thorin." I told her and Lotus nodded.

Before she could speak Thorin came out. "What is it you need that you decided to trek across a forest by yourself?" Thorin asked.

Lyk came out a few moments later.

"I- um. . . Court is missing." I didn't really know what else to say.

"Missing as you assumed he got lost in the woods and you decided I would be the appropriate option; he has brothers that you can ask." Thorin responded.

"Thorin don't be a dick." Lotus spoke and he glanced at her.

"I already asked them, and he didn't get lost in the woods. He went to the town and never came back." I answered.

"I do believe he is considered the crown prince there and can be gone for days at a time." 

"He promised me he would be back, I'm concerned. Lyell and Xerxes shrugged me off, I didn't know where else to go." I told him. I was scared and concerned. I may be overreacting but the fear of it being something serious overpowered.

"Thorin, she seems concerned, it won't hurt to help her." I looked over at Lotus a bit surprised at her supporting me. She smiled at me.

"What exactly do you want me to do?" Thorin asked.

"I don't know. Maybe you could take me to the village?" I didn't have much other suggestions. I needed to make sure Court was okay.

"If this is some game, you're playing to get back to your family, you will not like the consequences." Thorin responded.

"Thorin, she isn't playing a game, she's worried." Lyk finally spoke up and Thorin glanced at his uncle.

"I can't exactly go back to my parents; they think I'm dead. I just want to make sure Court is okay, I'll come back right after." I told him and Thorin looked at me.

"Are you expecting one of us to escort you there?" Thorin asked and I nodded.

Before we could argue any further the door opened and Thorin's attention snapped to the newcomer.

"Laika what is wrong?" Thorin asked before freezing.

A man with grey hair but a youthful appearance stumbled in holding his abdomen where he had a bloody mark.

"Lotus get something for him!" Lotus was quick into action as Lyk headed over to the man.

"Sit down." Lyk told him as I stood there in both shock and silence. What was I to do in a situation such as this?

"What happened?" Thorin demanded.

"Fucking teenagers, humans. They rode into the forest; I went to scare them off and they shot at me. They had bows and other weapons on them. . . they were hunting something." The man shut his eyes as Lotus came out to wrap his wound.

"What happened to the humans?" Thorin asked.

"I killed one of them after they wouldn't relent. Court showed up though, he looked pissed, he had me leave. I don't know what happened to them, he might've killed them, I'm not sure." The man shut his eyes.

Thorin sighed as Lotus tended to his wounds. "They were in the forest of their own accord, hunting us?" Thorin asked.

"It's what appeared to be." He answered.

"They broke the fucking truce." Thorin sounded pissed as he rose.

"Court, what if they have him?" I asked my voice no more than a whisper.

Thorin turned to me. "Do you think the ones who attacked my pack member took him hostage?" There was no malice or malicious intent just anger.

"I- They could've. If you can take me there, I can look for him, please." The man with the arrow wound looked up.

"She has a point, some of the younger humans have been testing boundaries occasionally. They might've gotten brave enough to attack Court." I felt relieved that some unknown man was siding with me.

"So be it, I'll take you to your old village," Thorin started.

"Thank you, I promise I'll be quick," Thorin cut me off.

"If they hunted my pack member, they are breaking a truce even more, they came onto our land and already broke it, if what you think is true Ruby and they have one of the leaders of the two-wolf pack's held hostage they're declaring war and voiding the truce. The only thing that will come out will be a bloodshed and I will not hesitate."

Thorin watched me as I nodded. "I understand." I murmured.

"Lyk, get the packs ready and alert Court's to what is going on. There is no time to waste, Lotus you stay here with Laika, and Laika. . . kill anyone that doesn't belong here." Laika nodded as he watched Thorin.

Lyk shifted and took off into the forest.

"Ruby, you are with me. Let's go."

2505. This one came out longer than expected! But we are reaching the end of Red! There is luckily a book 2 planned. Title still in the works. I'm very excited for the next scenes for Red. It's going to be so much fun! ***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58 0 7
**FIRST DRAFT** With the death of the Wolf-Witch, the residents of the forest village thought they were finally freed from the beast's wrath. By the...
9.6K 358 33
Deep in the Siberian woods, there is said to be an ancient ritual that will make the faithful and rightful person one with their inner wolf. But at t...
49.5K 2K 21
Every 18 years the Wolf king and his people Demand a small village for their 18 year old girls. It is called the full moon sacrifice exchange for the...
6.1K 179 33
"Wait....hold up,so you guys are telling me that we are not even related!!"I screamed from the top of my lungs. "Hunny-"my supposed to be mom started...